News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)  (Read 62137 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)
« Reply #60 on: September 3, 2017, 07:04:35 AM »
OH-MY-GIDDY-AUNT!!
They look amazing, Cap. They are going to be intimidating on the table. How are you going to do their transports? Gold with blue trim? Or blue with gold trim so the troop stands out on their own?
Thank you for sharing. Enjoying your journey... Be well!

PS: Happy Fathers Day... Assuming you are one.

Thank you.  :)  I forgot that other countries have their Father's Day this time of year.  We had ours months ago.  ;D

Good question about the transports!  This is an issue I have with marines...the brightly colored tanks.  :P  I think gold tanks would look silly, but blue would be OK.  Blue with gold trim.  I was even thinking of black but that's a leadership colour for them.  Which reminds me, I have no idea of what colour to paint the lieutenants and captain's helmets!  I'll need to find out how the Lions do it.

I'm also really happy you guys like the look of them.  Again, this was my first painting project in a decade so I was so nervous about doing it.  But I'm not making a mess of it (so far) so that's a plus!  :)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #61 on: September 3, 2017, 08:52:49 AM »
Looking sweeeet. You must be happy man. What an awesome looking chapter. The models for the Primaris Marines really jive well with the scheme. Super bold... you are executing really nicely too. Keep it up!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #62 on: September 3, 2017, 05:32:36 PM »
Many thanks Cavalier!  :D

I'm just glad I'm doing it right.  I was really nervous about painting.

In the meantime, more progress!  I decided not to paint the dots on the eyes of the sergeants helmet, because I like to believe that they only light up when the helmet is put on and activated.

Does anyone have any suggestions for painting dark flesh?  And will red purity seals work with the gold and blue?

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #63 on: September 3, 2017, 07:12:33 PM »
Hi Cap!
The red and bone seals will be a nice touch. 

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #64 on: September 4, 2017, 07:45:15 AM »
Hey Tangi looking good bud. You are rolling. Also red purity seals will TOTALLY work. Red, blue and bone will all look sick on your guys. I'd use the red and bone all day as spot colors. As for dark flesh, simply pick a shade that you like and pick the next appropriate layer paint and away you go. Its no different from using kislev flesh or cadian fleshtone. For the darker flesh tone though I'd use Nuln Oil as a wash... while on less dark I'd use Agrax. Check out the GW paint chart it'll point you in the right direction in terms of choosing the appropriate layer/base colors. Good luck bud and keep rocking
« Last Edit: September 4, 2017, 07:46:35 AM by Cavalier »

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #65 on: September 4, 2017, 12:45:12 PM »
Awesome, thank you very much guys!  Especially for the advice Cavalier.  :)

Also for anyone who might be looking in on this thread but doesn't want to click on links, enjoy this direct link instead:

Although since that photo was taken I've touched up the sergeant a little.  You can see that here:

I might have leaned a little heavy on the grey though.  Nothing that a dab of nuln oil won't fix.  Oh, and for any marine who's not wearing his helmet, I'm not painting the yellows of their eyes.  I like to think they only light up when the helmets on and activated.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2017, 12:51:45 PM by Captain Calamity »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #66 on: September 4, 2017, 03:01:44 PM »
Niiiiice!
These beasts will be something to behold once the detailing is done, Cap. With a big, honk'n, blue Raider in the background?..... Glad I'm not facing them!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #67 on: September 4, 2017, 07:53:58 PM »
Looking really nice dude :) the depth of the blue really makes the colour scheme.

I do like the added grey on top of the black, and as I've discovered with my Corsair's wings a dash of Nuln Oil really does work nicely :) sort of blends the edges out a bit so they merge together a little more
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #68 on: September 7, 2017, 05:22:57 PM »
@ Saim-dann

I certainly hope so!  I'm coming around to the idea of having big blue tanks myself.  ;D

@ Ynneadwraith

You're right, black on its own never looks right.  A little bit of grey really brings it out!

And look, more marines:

I would have finished the other two but it had to start raining, so no spray painting the guns.  :P

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #69 on: September 8, 2017, 03:20:56 AM »
G'day Cap!
How will you be doing the bases? If you haven't decided yet, be sure to color match up against the gold and blue... Pointy ears forever!!   

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #70 on: September 8, 2017, 06:10:11 AM »
G'day Cap!
How will you be doing the bases? If you haven't decided yet, be sure to color match up against the gold and blue... Pointy ears forever!!

Good question!  The boards I'd be playing on at my friends house and my LGS are both blackened wastelands so I'll probably go with that.  Might need something to spice it up though.

Also, I've got a potential problem on the way.  It's my intention to eventually get those chapter symbols from shapeways.  I already got the winged lightening bolt ones but that was before I settled on the Lions.  I've already painted the shoulder pads, so sticking the symbol on might mess that up.  And not in the way you might think.  I did the highlights assuming that the pads were a flat surface, and the raised symbols will change that.

I guess I can paint over them  again.  No real biggie.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #71 on: September 9, 2017, 08:12:23 AM »
Looking great Cap; as I've said before, the gold is really well executed and the blue just has a terrific richness to it. These guys are really starting to look awesome!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2017, 08:26:15 AM »
Looking great Cap; as I've said before, the gold is really well executed and the blue just has a terrific richness to it. These guys are really starting to look awesome!

Thanks Looshkin!  That really means a lot to me! :)

Again this is the first painting project I've done in years.  And I wasn't exactly good back then either.  Nothing more demoralising than the off duty store clerk picking up your gyrocopter and saying that it had the worst paint job he'd ever seen.  Just what every 13 year old needs to hear. :P

But I digress.  I've still got the hellblasters to finish, but in the meantime I still need to figure out what colour to paint the helmets of the captain and lieutenants.  I doubt it's just black like the sergeants.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2017, 02:53:11 PM »
I'm back!  With more Celestial Lions!

See here the Hellblasters (without guns):

and those Intercessors who should have had their guns attached ages ago:

I think those Hellblasters came out a bit sloppy.  I should probably take another look at them once they're dry.

I've pledged to not buy anything else until all my marines are painted.  At this stage I only have 3 interceptors and five characters to go, not counting the things I need to go back and finish.  Things like faces and purity seals.  Nearly there then!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2017, 05:16:01 PM »
G'day Cap!
If this is the quality of the troop, keen to see what you do with the characters, mate... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2017, 08:41:57 AM »
Looking good Tangi. My only suggestion is clean up the shoulder pads a bit. Bring the blue closer to the rim of the shoulder pad and leave a thinned band of shading. Other than that they look awesome! Still really impressed by how sick the scheme is. Keep it up!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2017, 09:09:02 AM »
G'day Cap!
If this is the quality of the troop, keen to see what you do with the characters, mate... Pointy ears forever!!

Thank you! :)

In all honesty I am apprehensive about painting the characters.  Especially the librarian as he's going to be blue.  And I still haven't found out if their helmets need to be different.

Looking good Tangi. My only suggestion is clean up the shoulder pads a bit. Bring the blue closer to the rim of the shoulder pad and leave a thinned band of shading. Other than that they look awesome! Still really impressed by how sick the scheme is. Keep it up!

Ah yes, the pads are a bit messy.  I'll touch them up, and I'll fix the eyes too.  Thanks for the support! :)

Also, someone commented on imgur that I need to thin my paints more.  Is the paint job in these marines too thick?  I do thin the paints down with water, and the blue sections typically have 2-3 layers per...well, layer.  The gold is just a dry brush and wash over the base so it doesn't require much.  Is that enough or should I be doing more layers?

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2017, 01:06:31 PM »
It doesnt look to thick to me. Not by a long shot. Take all advice with a grain of salt. Everyones a critic.  ::)

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2017, 11:33:44 AM »
So sorry for the lack of activity guys.  I've been a bad mixture of sick and busy.  But I'm getting back into the swings of things now.  I've broken a pledge to not buy any more models to buy some more models.  Some of which you can see here and here:

Enjoy! :)

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2017, 05:43:28 AM »
Niiiiice!
Nothing wrong with more Primis's, Cap. Bought three different starter sets before I even put paint to plastic... Be well!