News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ebon's Bizarre Adventure - Wallet Tenacity  (Read 3685 times)

Offline Ebon Star

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Ebon's Bizarre Adventure - Wallet Tenacity
« on: November 8, 2015, 10:59:19 AM »
So I've started up a long and ambitious task - training a Social Worker to play Warhammer 40,000. The journey will be perilous, however given I've been playing 40K since I was twelve, I believe I can do it. He's at least shown to have a better grasp of it than most people I've attempted to teach.

I allowed him to pick an army - and fortunately for us, he selected Space Marines. Which is thankful, can you imagine what would have happened if he'd turned around and said "Hey, I quite like the look and sound of these Tyranid guys. Think you can build and paint them for me?"

The downside is that he's asked for me to do them as Ultrasmurfs. I gave him a very quick briefing on the other chapters, and he's sticking with Ultrasmurfs. So sadly, no Iron Hands or Raven Guard here. At least he's given me complete run about how his army's been put together*?

I am at least trying to keep things interesting by doing the following:

• Conversions. Conversions, conversions, conversions. As you'll see in a moment, a lot of headswapping works nicely, as well as using alternative arms and posing. Also, those Chapter Upgrade kits are something useful.
  • Going with a non-standard Ultramarine company. Because the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Companies have been done to death.
  • I've been a bit sneaky and will be converting one unit around a loophole given.
  • This Project Blog will be dedicated towards not one, but two armies. We're starting at about 750pts, and will be slowly adding to both forces overtime - like when the time comes to teach him about Special Characters, Vehicles and Lords of War. No, he will not be getting an Imperial Knight.
For now though, have some Ultrasmurfs I spent the afternoon working on. This a regular old Tactical Squad, with a Flamer and Missile Launcher. I used one of the heads from the Vanguard sprue on the Missile Launcher, while the Sergeant is largely constructed from the Ultramarines Chapter Upgrade pack. Gotta say, for the price I payed for it, it actually worked out really nicely. I'll definitely be using it a bit more as the project progresses.

The Squad, standing in a line and awaiting the chance to be primed.

How'd you like your Heretic? I like mine extra crispy.

Not everyone's a Derpy Stormtrooper. We gots us some Beakies too.

The Sergeant. Needs a name. Will not be calling him "Old Man Henderson".

*Before I forget, I should mention I'm getting some help from an individual at my Friendly Local Gaming Store. This is done to avoid unfairly favouring one army over the other, and to avoid a lot of the typical cheese. Gotta introduce people right after all.
« Last Edit: November 8, 2015, 12:20:10 PM by Ebon Star »

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Ebon's Bizarre Adventure - Wallet Tenacity
« Reply #1 on: November 9, 2015, 06:59:16 AM »
Awesome project man. Love the way you've structured introducing your friend to 40k. 750pts infantry only is the perfect approach. I actually want to play more games like that myself!

The modelling looks good too, so off to a hot start!

About the Ultra Marines. I used to think they were a boring chapter, but after readin/listening to a couple of HH books, specifically Calth That Was, I realized what the Ultramarines were all about and really grew to respect them. Plus on the painting side getting the chance to do all their heraldry should be super fun. When done up in all their squad markings nothing looks more regal than an Ultramarine!

Anyway its real good of you to help out your friend, and I think you've chosen the perfect approach. Good luck and please continue to share your progress I'm looking forward to following this project!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ebon Star

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 07:24:56 AM »
Work continues apace with the Tactical Squad.

I've chosen to do 5th Company, which is why the Shoulder Trim was painted Black. Because everyone and their grandmother has done 2nd, 3rd and 4th Company. Only a lack of green paint has kept me from finishing them.

That, and deciding on how to base them. And what I should build next.

EDIT - This is to confirm I am still working on this project, despite the lack of activity. Not allowed to double post, folks!

EDIT #2 - Due to a lack of interest in the project, along with the fact we've decided to go for a certain other Games Workshop game, this project has been suspended indefinitely.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 06:42:46 AM by Ebon Star »

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 05:44:57 PM »
That's a shame, I liked the pale blue/grey color scheme
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Ebon Star

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 06:09:35 AM »
That's a shame, I liked the pale blue/grey color scheme

I am working on stuff right now though, so there may be something after Christmas. Y'know, unless there's a "What did you work on over Christmas" thread.

Side rant, but I actually did get everyone built and a good chunk of the Smurfs were painted.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 08:08:40 AM »
I love this!  It's always great to see someone new join the hobby, and it's very kind of you to help them get started by painting their army up for them.  Great paint job on them too by the way.

And don't worry, there's nothing wrong with the smurfs.  In my opinion you can't be a real 40k player until you've owned some of them at some stage or another.  ;)

Online Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 03:41:14 AM »
I second that. Also reminds me of all the years ago when I painted to get my minis. Everyone else had fully pained armies but not me until I caught a break.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Ebon Star

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 06:12:50 AM »
Well, this is unexpected. I wasn't expecting an explosion in popularity after the thread entered Necropost territory. Regardless, I've already eBay'd off the two armies (with Social Worker's permission of course), and from the sounds of things we might not have loophole'd it as well as I thought.

Still, I promised two armies and such. I've got one 40K Army I do as an occasional thing, but since it's obviously neither force listed here, I'm debating if I should post it here or start a new Project Log.

Or even a new Blog. Though the 40K Online blog system isn't working for whatever reason (I applied to be a member a while back and it still hasn't processed my request). That and things like LiveJournal and Blogger are cruel mistresses where I'd stick stuff up, but nobody would discuss things with us. Especially now the FLGS is closed (today is it's last day open), talking with people about the Hobby over the Internet is all I have left.

What to do...?

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 06:34:17 AM »
Sorry about your store closing bud. I've been there... went a couple of years where I was just working on my army all by my lonesome with just my internet buds to chat with. I'd just start a new blog and keep us posted with thoughts and pics. Its always nice to see new faces and projects in this section of the forum and hopefully it'll keep your own hearth fires burning till a new gaming scene can get going in your neck of the woods. Either way good luck!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 07:34:15 AM »
Or even a new Blog. Though the 40K Online blog system isn't working for whatever reason (I applied to be a member a while back and it still hasn't processed my request).

This board is, to all intents and purposes, the equivalent of that blog system.  As a result, just use this board for blog projects and ignore the project blog request option.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Ebon Star

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 08:55:07 AM »
Or even a new Blog. Though the 40K Online blog system isn't working for whatever reason (I applied to be a member a while back and it still hasn't processed my request).

This board is, to all intents and purposes, the equivalent of that blog system.  As a result, just use this board for blog projects and ignore the project blog request option.

Got it. I'll probably just set up a new log then once I have something a bit more to show.

EDIT - New log is up. Please direct all further comments to this thread.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 11:01:06 AM by Ebon Star »