News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Calamity's Astra Militarum Army Blog  (Read 28172 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Tangi's Storm Troopers
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 06:55:50 AM »
Bummer bout the cockpit. Samething has happened to me countless times with my Eldar vehicles... even the Void Raven which was A HUGE pain. But I'm looking at the bits you need on ebay right now... get on there and pick up a spare!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 09:21:47 AM »
Bummer bout the cockpit. Samething has happened to me countless times with my Eldar vehicles... even the Void Raven which was A HUGE pain. But I'm looking at the bits you need on ebay right now... get on there and pick up a spare!

Way ahead of you.  ;)

I picked this up earlier in the week.  It was a little bit more expensive than I wanted but it has the exact parts I need and then some.  So, that's that problem solved!

However, what I'm worried about is the eventual painting of the little bit on the clear plastic canopy that bridges the gap between the two panels.  That looks really tricky.  Any suggestions?

Offline Gunner_Sabot_Tank

• Armies: IG, GK, Tyranids, Blood Angels
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2015, 02:36:17 PM »
I can't for the life of me remember the name but there's this stuff I've seen in tutorials used to mask the "glass" parts. It's a thin, translucent liquid you paint over that part and once it's dry it can be pealed right off.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 10:06:21 AM »
I can't for the life of me remember the name but there's this stuff I've seen in tutorials used to mask the "glass" parts. It's a thin, translucent liquid you paint over that part and once it's dry it can be pealed right off.

I gotta find out what this was and acquire it post haste.

In the meantime, I have a budget set to buy either the remaining troops for the formation (two boxes of Scions and two Tauroxes) or the paints to paint them.  As I'm still unsure as to how I'm actually going to paint them yet, and having the full force will allow me to get some practice games in, I think it will best to get the miniatures in first.

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 10:30:29 AM »
Hmmm... A fluid you can use to mask areas before painting...

Sounds like... Masking Fluid.  ;)

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, 10:43:00 AM »
However, what I'm worried about is the eventual painting of the little bit on the clear plastic canopy that bridges the gap between the two panels.  That looks really tricky.  Any suggestions?

What about something simple like a low tack masking tape or try making yourself a masking stencil from cardboard.

Were you thinking of Revell Colour Stop by any chance?

I think it will best to get the miniatures in first.

Definitely miniatures before paint. I appear to have made myself a hobby out of buying miniatures and then doing nothing with them.  :)
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Gunner_Sabot_Tank

• Armies: IG, GK, Tyranids, Blood Angels
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2015, 04:32:09 PM »
Hmmm... A fluid you can use to mask areas before painting...

Sounds like... Masking Fluid.  ;)

Never seen that stuff before but it probably works just the same. I wanna say the stuff I've seen was called Micro something or other.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2015, 06:44:38 PM »
hehe, alienscar... I know that problem. that's why I try to get paint before models - then actually stop myself from buying more models until I've finished painting what I've got
I guess that's the reason I haven't bought any warhammer mini's for years, and only ask for more stuff on my birthday. Well, it's part of the reason, in any case ;)

check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2015, 06:53:23 PM »
Alrighty, I'll be in the market for miniatures and masking fluid.  :)

In the meantime, there was something else I wanted to ask about, even though this is more of a background question.  What do you guys think of the concept of Scion Heavy Weapon Teams?  I know that they are supposed to be rapid reaction shock troop paratrooper commandos but everyone in a combat situation will at times need heavy firepower right? 

Of course, Scions being Scions, I imagine that any weapons they have will be better than standard Militarum equipment.  Perhaps instead of being crew carried and tri pod mounted, maybe their weapons can carry themselves along:

Any thoughts?

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2015, 08:29:29 AM »
I guess in part this depends on where they fight. If they fight a lot of urban battles, going from room to room, a heavy weapon might be both unwieldy and unnecessary. If they fight in more open grounds, or even large city streets, I imagine their heavy weapon support comes more from the vehicles they arrived in.
If you do want heavy weapons crewed by infantry, it might be worth checking out forgeworld's elysian drop troops for ideas, since they pack as light as possible as well.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 09:06:27 AM »
I guess in part this depends on where they fight. If they fight a lot of urban battles, going from room to room, a heavy weapon might be both unwieldy and unnecessary. If they fight in more open grounds, or even large city streets, I imagine their heavy weapon support comes more from the vehicles they arrived in.
If you do want heavy weapons crewed by infantry, it might be worth checking out forgeworld's elysian drop troops for ideas, since they pack as light as possible as well.

That's a good point I suppose.  I think what Scions really need are their own Sentinels.  They're great mobile weapon platforms.  I made rules for some a while ago. 

I was inspired by the Elysians though.  I figured that the missile launcher and mortar can be used traditional style, and it's the autocannon, lascannon and heavy bolter that are mounted on the tracked unit. 

Perhaps this is all an unnecessary distraction though.  What I should be doing is ordering the last troops in and making a working play list.  :P

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 09:30:47 AM »
but unnecessary distractions can be so much fun and so good for your creativity :)

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 01:31:17 PM »
Never seen that stuff before but it probably works just the same. I wanna say the stuff I've seen was called Micro something or other.

At a guess I'd go with MicroScale, they do a lot of decal fixing fluids (Which I've used) but never tried their masking fluid. afaik all the masking fluids are basicly the same.  :)

Of course, Scions being Scions, I imagine that any weapons they have will be better than standard Militarum equipment.  Perhaps instead of being crew carried and tri pod mounted, maybe their weapons can carry themselves along:

(Image removed from quote.)

Any thoughts?

Reminds me of the Raiper track unit.

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2015, 09:14:03 PM »
Sorry for the lack of stuff to present.  The redecorating has taken over everything.  :P

Also, this is a screenshot of my Guardian (from Destiny):

How does that look for inspiration for a Scion paint scheme?  I still like the Jakal's Black, white and red look but I'm still looking at other ideas.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2015, 10:36:08 AM »
Thats a VERY bright shade of green... I think a little too much for an Imperial force. Its bordering on Striking Scorpion territory.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2015, 08:43:19 PM »
Thats a VERY bright shade of green... I think a little too much for an Imperial force. Its bordering on Striking Scorpion territory.

Sorry for the late reply.  It's been ages since I could get anything 40k modeling wise done. :P

Anyway yeah, you're right.  That is way too bright and Eldar looking for Imperial forces.  Since then I've pretty much settled on making them a force of the Jakals so it's not a problem.

And here's my latest efforts; another Valkyrie almost made:

Right now it's in those sections for ease of painting, but they can be popped together in the unlikely event of a casual game happening.  All it needs before that is for the weapons to be magnetized and attached, the canopy and door gunners to be attached, and then to be painted.  So...still a lot to do. :P

There was also an unfortunate cock up with the hinges of the rear boarding ramp which has forced me to glue it shut in order to keep it attached to the model.  I'm pretty annoyed at that.  I've been making a lot of mistakes modeling wise with this project! :P

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2015, 06:37:10 AM »
Nice! Love the Valkyrie bummer about the backdoor my brother had to do the same thing. You said they are going to be Jackals? So does that mean a black color scheme?

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2015, 07:17:26 AM »
Hey there, cool things to see you back in business :D looking forward to what comes out of this vendetta. it's a pretty cool looking flyer in my opinion so i'm looking forward to see how you will change it ^^
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2015, 03:28:53 PM »
Thank you guys.  :)

Nice! Love the Valkyrie bummer about the backdoor my brother had to do the same thing. You said they are going to be Jackals? So does that mean a black color scheme?

Glad I'm not the only one who goofed up. :D  And yes, they're going to be Jackals which means black.  Because it's easy and simple and I like that because I'm lazy.  ;D

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2015, 03:57:43 PM »
Because it's easy and simple and I like that because I'm lazy.  ;D

I ear you on that one :D unfortunatly can't do that in my army >< when you say jackals, you mean these jackals?
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member