News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Are people becoming more open in 6th ED.  (Read 6787 times)

Offline Packetmaster

• Plasma get's hot! Keep shooting! Commissar nearby
  • Armies: Guard
Are people becoming more open in 6th ED.
« on: October 3, 2012, 09:30:19 PM »
Hello everybody :),
                          6th edition is been out for some time now and my gaming group really started to show some warm up about the game. In the previous edition, most people were really cold to Forge world models, allies, crazy senario, special missions. Most of the time they were only playing kill point mission. But now.... something strange is happenning... with the new allies rules and the new missions chart and fortifications, they are more and more welcome to try new things. (Heavy Artillery Guns, awesome!!!) 

I was wondering if the same thing was hapenning in other gaming groups?

Offline Caustic

• Castellan Cawww!
  • Armies: Salamanders, 1k Sons & Daemons, Hochland Empire.
Re: Are people becoming more open in 6th ED.
« Reply #1 on: October 3, 2012, 10:24:01 PM »
I think that the rules are a lot better written in this new edition then they ever were in any previous edition.  Kudos to GW for producing (and actively correcting) an effective current ruleset.

I know that I've been pulling out Forge World books a lot more frequently lately and even using Forge World units in games.  Particularly attractive choices like their unique Predators and variant armies draw me in.

Offline Nemo vas Varya

• Ork Yoof
  • Keelah se'lai
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Eldar, Dark Angels, and High Elves
« Reply #2 on: October 4, 2012, 12:44:50 AM »
Aye with 6th, Forgeworld stuff seems to fit in the game now instead of tacked on, many of the weird special rules now covered by actual rules, and the change to how shooting and barrage has changed to how many of us used to look at other models and are now open to using them.

Plus as more and more people dipped into FW to counter flyers they became aware of what else was there.
Tali: Shepard! Want a drink?

Shepard: So… how are you getting drunk, anyway?

Tali: Very carefully. Turian brandy… tripled filtered and introduced into the suit through this… emergency induction port.

Shepard: That’s a straw, Tali.

Tali: Emergency. Induction. Port.

Offline Perigrine

« Reply #3 on: October 5, 2012, 03:45:28 AM »
So in effect congrats GW you found a way to make people spend even more money on your increasingingly expensive products good on ya (insert sarcasm)

Rules work better I agree however I dislike the fact that now as mentioned you need FW to have counters as GW itself doesn't produce any.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #4 on: October 5, 2012, 03:59:46 AM »
I remember going into various stores and clubs and when I would start to say about rolling for mision & deployment I'd almost always get that "oh can't we just play Kill Points!?"  Hell no we can't, there were 3 missions, and 3 deployment types an each means you need to play your army differently... (don't get me started on Dawn of War deployment... I once had one guy back out of a game when he rolled that deployment type... what it showed to me was his leafblower netlist was a simple cut and paste job that he had literally no idea how to use!)

What the rules have done is show that there are lots of ways to play the game. You are not limited to a simple match off (which was exactly that... a very simple - and thus boring - game). The rules have now tried to broaden your horizons to allow you to play the types of games that you want to.

Rules work better I agree however I dislike the fact that now as mentioned you need FW to have counters as GW itself doesn't produce any.

You don't NEED forge world for anything... every codex has at least SOMETHING that can at least pass for something close to AA cover - if not actual AA cover. You just need to look at the tools you have at your disposal and apply them.

forgeworld provide another level of playing the game. You can, if you want to, add those items... or you can add some allies to help cover you... or you can add some fortifications... or you can ignore the lot and play your own game in your own style! Lets not forget that forgeworld are still "opponents permission" as state in ALL of the official forgeworld books, but the OP is right in that the broadened rules set means that people are happier to try out / fight against new things.

Offline The Unseenly Invincible

• Without laughter there is no slaughter
  • Armies: Nonimperial guardthings, and some blue communists
« Reply #5 on: October 5, 2012, 08:37:40 AM »
Personally? I'm having lots of fun. I just like the idea behind shooting armies, so surprise, surprise, I play tau and IG. However, in 5th ed, it got boring after a while. Lines of rhinos filled with guys who wanted to drive up and assault me, come rain or shine. Six letters: B-O-R-I-N-G But, then, all of a sudden, came 6th ed. What did it do? Balanced the friggin' rules, that's what it did. Assault isn't so overpowered in many aspects, but also not so underpowered in many aspects. Likewise goes for shooting (5th ed cover save mechanics... I'm looking at you).

The thing I'm really happy about seeing is that lists, as Oinktoberfest (liking the new name) pointed out, lists suddenly moved away from 3 second copy and paste to really versatile, diverse, storyline type lists. I particularly like my brave company commander bravely standing behind walls and shouting orders at those cowardly guardsmen in the front line. Essence of IG.

You don't NEED forge world for anything... every codex has at least SOMETHING that can at least pass for something close to AA cover - if not actual AA cover. You just need to look at the tools you have at your disposal and apply them.

I think this will change a bit, with more 6th ed coming out. GW has noticed the lack of AA, and hopefully they will be adding things with Skyfire into 6th ed codex's. We'll see on Saturday when the new chaos codex comes out.
Always absent from school... | Tzeentch's Teddybear | Making Guardsmen aerodynamic since 2003! | Yes, it will hurt. No, I don't care | In Soviet Russia Guardsman kills you

Offline Packetmaster

« Reply #6 on: October 5, 2012, 09:50:45 AM »
Maybe I'm just lucky, but my gaming group don't care that much about GW products being an exclusive. They care more about the game and (collect awesome models) so if I bring a none-GW product on the table they are fine with it most of the time.

I have been big on FW heavy gun artillery lately, but the models I found for them are neither from FW or GW. They are historical german 88mm guns. Frankly, they look awesome.

Offline Nemo vas Varya

• Ork Yoof
  • Keelah se'lai
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Eldar, Dark Angels, and High Elves
« Reply #7 on: October 5, 2012, 11:48:06 AM »
Maybe I'm just lucky, but my gaming group don't care that much about GW products being an exclusive. They care more about the game and (collect awesome models) so if I bring a none-GW product on the table they are fine with it most of the time.

I have been big on FW heavy gun artillery lately, but the models I found for them are neither from FW or GW. They are historical german 88mm guns. Frankly, they look awesome.

Hadn't thought about german 88s. I have been experimenting with Russian Divisional Pieces, but at 76 the muzzle bore is just so small compare to other muzzles or ordinance in 40k. (I actually use it as a Medusa now. Hard hitting penetrating round with high explosive... it is what the Medusa does...) but i am planning to run Earthshakers in my prime list. Was considering m2 105's or similar guns.
Tali: Shepard! Want a drink?

Shepard: So… how are you getting drunk, anyway?

Tali: Very carefully. Turian brandy… tripled filtered and introduced into the suit through this… emergency induction port.

Shepard: That’s a straw, Tali.

Tali: Emergency. Induction. Port.

Offline Packetmaster

« Reply #8 on: October 5, 2012, 11:59:18 AM »
Well the german 88mm gun is just the right size for an Earthshaker canon. I think the 1/35 scale is the closest to 40k scale. They are not that expensive on ebay or on webstore, specilaly for the amount of detail you get. Now that I discovered historical miniatures, I'll be looking there if I need a WW1 or WW2 looking gun. I also thing space marines could find some good alternative for quad gun. Also if you want to build your own aegis defense line there a lot of stuff to look at. The ms 105 gun could be an Icarus lascannon as I know.

Offline Hive Fleet Dave

• Shaaaating
  • Armies: Blood Angels, IG & Tyranids
« Reply #9 on: October 6, 2012, 04:19:58 AM »
Think it also helps that they've integrated a lot of stuff that was considered spin offs from the stand alone game. The horus heresy for instance. Giving more narrative and richer background for your games. Anything which lets you delve deeper into the 40k universe is always a good thing imo.
"Friendly fire isn't"

Offline The BoogerMan

• "Behold me and despair."
  • Armies: Dark Eldar and Imperial Guard
« Reply #10 on: October 9, 2012, 11:26:18 PM »
Oh, my group just loves 6th Edition.  Everybody thinks that the rules are clearly written, are better balanced and just make a lot more sense overall.

Our Tau player and myself love the boost to shooting in particular (yes, I'm a Dark Eldar and Ork player who likes to shoot - I like to shoot a lot).  It's made our games a lot more tactical, which I really like.  Oh yeah baby - fire and maneuver, maneuver and fire!

I also like the fact that all of those fortifications and other previously unused models now have an actual use (I myself am currently kit-bashing a DE Aegis Defense Line, quad-gun and comms relay using old raider hulls and dark lance bits).

So, yeah - we're certainly open to the current edition.  ;)

Cheers.
« Last Edit: October 9, 2012, 11:28:35 PM by The BoogerMan »
"Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills get up and kill!" - Dr. Foster, Dawn of the Dead (1978)

Offline ozzfann0666

• Death is Overrated. Chaos is not.
    • My Dice Suck
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 02:10:59 PM »
I would say that some players are becoming more open-minded about the game, and others are actually doing the opposite. A good friend of mine suddenly insists on playing smaller games. For the longest time, we would play 2000-2500 points, since that was 'Ard Boyz sized games, but since 6th dropped he won't even touch a large game. He's arguing that 1850 is the absolute highest he wants to go. I, on the other hand, play 40k for what it is: a WAR game. He's looking for skirmishes. If I wanted to play a skirmish game, I'd play Warmachine. Another friend, however, is all about playing bigger games whereas he used to only play smaller ones. And although I'm willing to play a 1500 or 1850 game, I just don't think those points look impressive enough on the table top. I just did a quick count yesterday, and I have 5734 points of CSM, WITHOUT ADDING ANY WARGEAR. Just a rough estimate, with wargear, I'm looking at close to 7000 points. And I still don't have everything that I want for the army. I don't own any forgefiends/maulerfiends (I want at least 2), I don't own a warpsmith, nor do I have a sorcerer. I don't own a single obliterator, nor any mutilators. I'd like to get a couple of Helldrakes. When I want an army, I want AN ARMY. I look at 1850 games, and although enjoyable for the tactics involved in making difficult decisions, it's over too quick, and it just doesn't have the feel of 2 armies going to battle. It feels more like a chance encounter. I  the point I'm making here is that, although it is opening up some peoples' minds, it is closing the minds of others.

Offline Packetmaster

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 03:48:33 PM »
My gaming group and I can't meet that often, so lately we played 1000 pts games, but if I was to go higher I would jump strait up to 2000 / 2500 pts. If we have time for a bigger game than a 1000 pts, we will play it big. But now, we enjoy small game.

Maybe that why we scratch the forge world stuff. To get more cool stuff in our small game. If you play small game create a crazy senario. It's a lot better... ;D and makes longer games.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 02:14:22 PM by Packetmaster »

Offline The_Outcast

• Infinity Circuit
  • I am the only one who left willingly.
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 01:21:02 AM »
I have the complete opposite view... I didn't like what I was hearing form the rumor section before I had it in my hands... and now that I've had some time to digest 6th I like it even less.... I've been playing since 3rd and this is by the worst IMO... 

I think it's the biggest attempt by GW to force people to buy new models... Just like the 4th edition eldar codex was designed to sell models... I have over 10,000K points of Eldar models yet I can't field an army that doesn't get blown off the table... Sure there are models I could buy to make it better but... and that just applies to just about every army I own. :/ Yeah.

Really??? How are eldar and tyranid players going to takedown a storm raven/vendetta with out getting something FW???

The_Outcast

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 05:52:22 AM »
Eldar- allied Guard with a Hydra.

Tyranids- Hive Tyrant with wings and 2 x TL devourers
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 08:09:35 AM »
Warwalkers or vypers with guide, quite likely to throw enough 6s to discourage most aircraft.

Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Atnas

• BANNED: Copyright rules do not apply to me, and eventually that catches up!
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 08:14:44 AM »
War Walkers with guide is the best solution probably.

I'm really liking 6th ed over 5th ed, but for some reason I'm having real trouble finding games for 40K now. Don't know if it's a coincidence or not, it probably is actually.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 08:15:56 AM by Atnas »

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 09:06:03 AM »
War Walkers with guide is the best solution probably.

I'm really liking 6th ed over 5th ed, but for some reason I'm having real trouble finding games for 40K now. Don't know if it's a coincidence or not, it probably is actually.

Exact opposite for me--I'm playing more 40K now than I have for a few years.

I think it's the biggest attempt by GW to force people to buy new models... Just like the 4th edition eldar codex was designed to sell models... I have over 10,000K points of Eldar models yet I can't field an army that doesn't get blown off the table... Sure there are models I could buy to make it better but... and that just applies to just about every army I own. :/ Yeah.

You mean a gaming and miniatures company has devised a way to encourage you to buy more of their product? The FIENDS!

Dude, it's a modelling hobby. If you don't like buying models, why are you participating? Isn't it fun to get new stuff?

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 11:42:15 AM »
I have over 10,000K points of Eldar models yet I can't field an army that doesn't get blown off the table...
....and you don't think this is at all how you're playing ??

Really??? How are eldar and tyranid players going to takedown a storm raven/vendetta with out getting something FW???
Take one Falcon turret, model a Firestorm cannon on it (long-multi barrelled scatter laser)

Voi-la!

Alternatively take a Necron doom scythe (closer I can think to an Eldar looking flyer)  and convert it into an Eldar Nightwing.

The the problem is......?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:43:30 AM by Arquarian »

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 11:46:49 AM »
or you could ignore the enemy flyer, and use your excellent mobility to be able to manouvre to areas that are difficult for the flyer to attack... remember that most flyers have pretty restrictive fire arcs, and movement is very predicatble... both things that you can use to your advantage.

alternatively, seeing as you have alternative armies then you could always look at some allies with suitable capabilties!