News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Is Mass Effect 3 Worth Buying?  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Gunner1116

Is Mass Effect 3 Worth Buying?
« on: March 28, 2012, 05:10:10 PM »
I have heard a lot of bad things about the ending of Mass Effect 3. My friends all tell me that they loved the game up until the ending of it. Some of them are even telling me that the last 10 minutes of the game make it not even worth buying. I just wanted to ask some questions about it and get your opinions on the game. Well here are my questions:

Do your decisions in the previous games impact events and the ending of ME3?
Where you satisfied with the character interaction with your favorite npc characters and/or the interaction between your romance option?
Does Mass Effect 3 provide the closure that you were looking for with your favorite npc characters and/or your chosen romance option?
Do you think the developers will change the ending of ME3 because of the players reactions to the ending?
And lastly, was your $60 well spent and will you happily play the trilogy over again?

I would greatly appreciate you guys answering these questions, I don't have the money to buy something that is going to be a disappointment.
"Don't take life too seriously, you'll never make it out alive."

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
Re: Is Mass Effect 3 Worth Buying?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 05:38:42 PM »
As far as the ending goes, I’m of the mind that it’s not over. There are too many questions left, in particular the extra 2 second ‘ending’ if you happen to make the ‘right’ choice. Just like with the Asari bartender on Ilium who turns out to be Liara’s mother, in the Mass Effect universe, 1+1 tends to equal 2.

Without spoiling too much, I firmly believe that the entire end sequence is just a product of Shepard spending way, way too much time around Reapers. He’s indoctrinated, and your final choice determines if you give in, or resist. There’s only one right answer. Even then, the choice is moot if you don’t have a strong enough force.

The game itself is great. The characters, the stories and the tension runs throughout the whole thing. There are emotional moments involving beloved characters, as well as new plot twists which keep it from being just a wrap up. The gameplay is a mix of the best elements from both previous titles, and the only thing it’s really missing is hacking/bypassing. I suppose, given the urgency of the game, sitting there sifting through code breaks the atmosphere, but it’s something I for one miss.

Your choices from previous games do not, as far as I can tell, impact the potential War Assets you can collect throughout the game. No matter what you picked before, there are options worth the same number of points in the end. What they do, however, is determine how those points get distributed. You get very different reactions if you saved the Rachnii queen, or shot Wrex. While the points may end up being the same, and the storylines to get them are, the actual experiences along the way differ rather dramatically. Choices made in DLC content from earlier games also comes back, sometimes with surprising results.

Overall, I would highly recommend ME3, so long as you don’t operate on the assumption that the end of the release game is the end of the story. Bioware has already stated that this isn’t the last we see of Shepard. As such, the ending is more like the end of Halo 2. We know theres more coming, we just don’t know what. The multiplayer is also oodles of fun, and that’s coming from someone who traditionally hates online shooters.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 08:49:40 PM »
ME3 seemed to be shorter than the other ME's.
The ending.. is a bit of a let down and raises alot of questions, but it didn't kill the game.
All your choices through out the series make no real difference to the ending, they do however make a difference on how you get there.

Is it worth buying... it really is more of the same, so if you liked ME2 then sure.

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 09:07:30 PM »
I don't think the ending was the game-breaker people said it was. There could have been more variation between them, that much is true, but I didn't feel robbed by it and it definitely gave me a sense of closure to the trilogy. I'm left wondering if we'll see other games set in the Mass Effect universe, now that Shepard's trilogy is done. 

Offline Gunner1116

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 12:29:45 AM »
Thanks for the replys guys. It is really nice to hear something positive about Mass Effect 3. I would like people to continue posting their thoughts about Mass Effect 3.
"Don't take life too seriously, you'll never make it out alive."

Offline Fealhach

• Armies: CWE, DE, IG, SoB and Crimson Fists
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 01:51:54 AM »
ME3's a great game, but I think the ending doesn't match the emotional 'path' the rest of the game takes you on. It starts with leaving you wanting payback on the Reapers, then throws in feelings of hopelessness and loss by the bucketload like when a crewmember mentions his family is on such-and-such a planet. Sure enough, you'll overhear a conversation of one of their deaths. This happens with depressing regularity as the Reapers monch on the galaxy, but it feeds the hope that after the darkness comes the dawn.

When the build-up to the end comes - which is the same whether you've united the entire galaxy under your banner or sat on your arse staring at the fish in your cabin - you go in thinking that payback is just around the corner. But it isn't. Instead of a rewarding sense of achievement that you're bringing justice down on these genocidal beslubbering machines, you're given confusion, more hopelessness, and then a bit more confusion when the plot holes become more and more apparent.

I won't be buying any DLC for: I doubt the end will be fixed satisfactorily and I've already seen the end of the game so any more stories are pretty much pointless for me. However, I don't regret buying the game for a second: it was great fun and I had to see my femshep's story through to the end!