News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Second Chances (Game Thread)  (Read 7631 times)

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
  • Armies: Deffskullz
Second Chances (Game Thread)
« on: January 15, 2012, 09:44:12 AM »
Alright everyone firstly the rules. Very simple.

1. Listen to me, don't argue with me, and remember I am God in this imaginary world. I am usually a likable person, and will listen to what you guys think and will take it into consideration. But blatantly ignoring what I have to say will result in bad things for your character, or possibly even removal from the game.

2. We will operate in a turn basis. I will update the game, and you all will get one action. One action means one post, though there is no limit on how much can be in the post. The only exception to this rule is dialougue, if your characters are communicating you may post multiple times.

3. Attempts, not deeds. I decide if your actions succeed or fail. I decide if you succesfully summon things from the crystals and if your bullet kills a person. You will attmept to do these things.

4. Reality. Please don't make your character do completely unrealistic thing. Have fun with this, but don't do a triple back flip sipping a glass of water.

5. The most important rule. Have Fun everyone! As this is my goal as GM.

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
Re: Second Chances (Game Thread)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 09:45:24 AM »
Your eyes open and you are momentarily blinded by the sun. Once you have readjusted your eyes you look again, and notice you are on soft green grass. You feel extremely well rested, like you have been asleep for ages, so you decide to get up.

You are in a strangle sphere of purple flame, roughly fifty yards in diameter, that protrudes from a large purple crystal in its center. A strangely dressed man is napping against the crystal, and you see two other men beside trees. You see there are eight tall trees, of a kind you do not recognize. The trees are all at the edge of the circle, and you notice you are beside one to.

Then it all hits you, like a stone in the back of the head. You recall your last moments on earth be it a shot to the heart, or holding a picture of your wife. You know you must of died, but nothing after that. Only now you are here, like the punch line of a bad joke. Maybe this was your second chance… To relive your life the way you were meant to.

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 01:14:46 PM »
Daud rose from his slumber, not knowing where he was.  His first instinct, knowing that he had likely slept for at least a full night, was to recite the sh'ma, which was to be recited upon waking and upon going to sleep.  Somewhere in the second paragraph of the prayer, memorized from years of repetition, Daud began to feel like something was wrong.  Not the scenery, that was clearly strange and new - requiring his investigation once his duties to God were finished.  Something else, though, was amiss.

He grasped it fully as he did a quick bow at the customary time.  His back didn't ache and his knees didn't shoot with pain.  He didn't have that kink in his neck, and his hands weren't calloused as they had been the last time he had seen them...

The last time.  He had been in his study weeping for his lost wife - the heartache hit him again at the memory, though he couldn't dwell on it.  He had not remembered going to sleep after that.  And he was not in his bed, or anywhere else he could place.  Soon, he had finished his prayer and looked around.  There was a wall of purple fire, odd but not impossible to make.  Perhaps there were some Chinese around, they were good with the coloration of fire.  The trees, though, were like none he could remember, neither in Europe, Africa, Arabia, nor Asia.  Perhaps they were deep into Chinese lands, but then that crystal was very strange.  Daud had seen crystal of such color, he was a merchant after all, perhaps it was amethyst.  On the other hand, the fire seemed to radiate from it somehow.

Then it hit Daud, that he hadn't gone to sleep, or been abducted by Chinese.  He had died that night in his study.  It was the only explanation for his current circumstance.  A wave of panic struck him as he dealt with his passing.  Then another idea appeared in his mind: this was HaOlam HaBa, the world to come.  Certainly the Messiah had come and now His people would live in peace.  The Lion would lie down with the Lamb and everyone would live in everlasting peace.

Including Rachel.  He had to find her.  And his children and grandchildren, and even his great-grandchildren who he had only heard of in letter.  And his parents and grandparents.  Everyone was here, just waiting to be found!  Daud literally jumped for joy upon this realization.  True, the afterlife was likely very large, but he would have eternity to find them, and then another eternity to spend with them.

Jumping brought Daud's mind back to his body, contemplating the fact that he was healed of all of his ailments.  He noticed, then, that his clothes were tighter than he remembered.  His robes were loose on him, but he seemed to be renewed, fully strong and as muscular as he had ever been.  He wasn't so much bursting out of the clothes, he'd never been that big, but he was certainly taller than his clothes, and he felt constricted.  His rings, luckily, fit as well as ever, seeing as he always was writing, keeping up the muscles in his hands.  He brought his hand up and kissed the unassuming golden ring, the ring he had given to his wife and had inscribed.  He would find her.

The first step in finding Rachel would be to get out of this ring of flame.  He could try to jump through, it didn't feel too hot, but he also didn't know how deep it went.  The obvious choice, then, was to go to the crystal and see if he could cut the flame from whatever fueled it.

As he walked, he took off his shawl and draped it over his arm, it was much too warm for such a heavy thing.  He noticed as he walked that there were two other men, dealing with the reality that they faced in their own ways.  There was also a man napping against the crystal.  Perhaps he would know something.

But how to call out to him?  Daud knew Arabic and Latin, the two most common languages in the world, so that seemed to be the best way forward.  "Salam Aleikum!  Salve!"  Daud called these, hoping the man would speak one of those, or perhaps one of the other two with them.  on the other hand, if this was HaOlam HaBa, perhaps they were also Jews and would speak Hebrew, so he added, "Shalom Aleichem!"

[ooc]What exactly does the fire coming from the crystal look like?  Is it arcing over us?  Because we can both see the sun, and everyone else, so what exactly is the layout of the area?[/ooc]
Azore of Ath-Ron
Unsophisticated players might think that the Letter of the rules is more important than the Spirit - but the Letter isn't liable to sneak up behind you with an axe if you abuse it.
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline skoops6

• Armies: those pointy eared dudes with the ninja star guns
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 08:27:29 PM »
Jason woke with a start, and sat up. "where the bloody hell am I?" he mumbled to himself as he surveyed his surroundings. then it struck him, the swamp, the crocodile, his lifeblood gushing out of the wound on his side. his first instinct was to reach down with his hands, one on his knife and one on his side where he was bitten. the feel of the cool leather wrapped around the handle of the blade reassured him, but the smooth, unblemished skin on his side did not. "what is this sorcery?" he thought to himself.

He felt the rest of his body, looking for other injuries that he knew should be there. the scar on his cheek, from a knife fight with a bandit. The gunshot wound he got from a dispute over payment of a bounty. his missing ring finger, which he lost in a game of knives. all these, gone without a trace.

Jason stood up to examine the area, taking in the purple dome, the tall trees and the strange crystal, and noticed he was not alone. Three others were with him, two of which appeared to be unconcios. the third man, dark skined and wearing strange clothes, was calling out in some forien language. jason walked up to him and said "hey mate, you know english?"
You mean a gaming and miniatures company has devised a way to encourage you to buy more of their product? The FIENDS!

Offline Aireoth

• Join us, we have Pi.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 02:10:58 AM »
Joseph stayed motionless, peering out from under his hat, maintaining the appearance of being unconscious. Beneath this unconscious facade his mind was fast at work, a flurry of questions that would bury another man where methodically analyzed and answered. He knew he had been shot, center mass, heart, likely result an impossibility, as he was here, yet death seemed most likely. Where he was, completely unrecognizable, he had never seen anything like this. Joe wasn't overly religious, he had been christened when he was little, and his uncle took him to church on Sundays, but he never gave it much thought or time. Of course, he couldn't dismiss the possibility of a German ruse.

There was a colored robed man beside a tree, dressed to a fine ,if a bit casual, standard. His robes fit tight, and various rings adorned his hands, however he was too far away to get a solid look at them. Another man was dressed in hunting leathers, a long knife on his belt and rifle across his back. The reassuring pressure of his holster under his suit jacket meant he also had his gun, should the need of it arise. Obviously he hadn't been captured, or he wouldn't still have his gun. Nor did this eclectic group hint at the real purpose behind this, whatever this was.

Then the man in the robes spoke in some eastern language Joe hadn't heard before, Latin which he was taught in grade school, and something that sounded akin to Hebrew, a not so uncommon language in New York. Then the other spoke in a distinct Australian accent "hey mate, you know english?".

Joe stood up, satisfied that his cohabitants knew as little as him, "I highly doubt it. " Joe paused thinking hard, picturing his Latin instructor May's wrinkled face barking out phrases for them to mimic, his latin was rusty, mainly composed of legal terms and half remembered high school classes. "Salve." he said while taking a closer look at the tree he was under.

W/L/D
52/24/8

Offline skoops6

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 04:30:47 AM »
Jason turns his attention away from the dark man and faces the man who had just risen. "glad to see someone round here speaks my lingo, if you weren't a yank I reckon we'd get on real well. name's Jason, Jason Mark. I'm guessing you have no Idea whats happening round 'ere either? and do you speak the language the dark fella's yammerin' on in?
You mean a gaming and miniatures company has devised a way to encourage you to buy more of their product? The FIENDS!

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 10:36:55 AM »
You could tell the others were speaking in strange tongues, but some how in the back of your brain you knew what the words meant. As if something was translating everything for you.

While others spoke you noticed something, a tingle on your right hand. When you looked down a strange tattoo glowed on your hand. It hadn't been there before, and it was only visible while others spoke. Could it be what was translating what they said?

The tattoo was the same color as the flame, in fact it seemed identical to the flame in all ways. It spiraled around your hand in a strange purple glow, creating many intricate and alien patterns you couldn't place.

Just then the man by the crystal awoke. He was was in a red tunic, and wore leather sandals. A pugio hung at his belt. He was sturdy and short, and looked like he could handel himself. Yet surprisingly to all of your ears it sounded like he spoke your native tongue perfectly "Hello. Who are you three? Also How long ago did you first awake?"

Offline skoops6

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 06:29:46 PM »
jason turned to face the new arival. "Bout 2 minutes now. you mind explaining what the bloody hell's going on? one minute im fightin' for me live 'gainst a croc, and the next I'm here with you fellas, all fine and dandy in a god dam flaming purple bubble. sir, I ain't never been one for religion, but are you Jesus?"

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 11:47:37 PM »
As the others spoke, Daud felt his hand tingle.  He saw that there was some strange glowing tattoo on the back of his hand.  His first instinct was to try to get it off of his hand, which he tried fervently for a few seconds, before he realized it would be on him until he lost the hand in question.  Perhaps the symbol, which glowed with the same color as the fire and crystal, was part of the world he was in.  It could be what was translating the others' speech, seeing as it didn't start to make itself known until he heard others speaking.

Well, thought Daud, if this is how Addonai has set up His paradise for us, who am I to question it?  Daud still wanted to know what was going on, and how he could be rid of the symbol - tattoos were forbidden amongst his people, so why would they be given them upon entering HaOlam HaBa?  This was one more question for him to solve.

Daud acknowledged the address of one of the other two men who had woken by the trees, though he seemed uncomfortable with Latin.  Daud would pay him more attention once he had solved one or two of his pressing concerns.

The man at the center of the ring, though, seemed to be different from the others.  He was dressed as a Roman soldier of old.  The other two - one a giant man, significantly taller than any Daud had seen, and another, taller than Daud, but still dwarfed by the first - were speaking the same dialect.  One had said something about English; Daud had heard of the English, a kingdom in the North, separated from the main body of Europe by a large channel of water.  He'd never learned their tongue, seeing as he'd never been to their shores nor met their traders.  Besides, they were poor compared to many other European kingdoms.

Daud decided that he'd get the best information from the Roman, who seemed to speak Arabic, though Daud knew that to be silly seeing as the two cultures didn't overlap.  Besides, his lips moved as one would expect from Latin, and he never once seemed to actually hit gutterals.  Then the very tall man spoke, in what Daud could only imagine was English.  The language seemed strange, though not totally alien from the Germanic dialects that Daud knew.  Perhaps Daud could add another language to his total accumulation if he spent enough time with the English speakers.

The tall man rambled on for a bit.  He said that he'd been here for two minutes, a measure of time no doubt, and asked for an explanation; he seemed properly stressed for his circumstances, so he was likely in the dark as much as was Daud.  He brought up his struggle with a crocodile, clearly he was a powerful warrior (and likely had died young, no old man would be out fighting such an animal), and then asked if the man in the center was Jesus.  Feh, thought Daud, If that man is the Christian's Christ, I'd rather again than live with them here, unless he's turned away those crusaders and murderers who have wantonly ravaging the lands of my fellow Jews and the Byzantines and the Muslims for the last century.

Daud spoke, deciding to add to the tall man's query rather than wait for a response to a stupid question.  "If I may also ask a question, you do seem to be more in the know than us, or at least separated.  Just based on how much I understood your words I can guess you are different than the other two, and I'd guess, myself.  So, I suppose my first question is, do all people come here when they die?"

Daud had asked in Latin, figuring that the man, as a Roman soldier, might appreciate the familiar tongue.  Daud's heart fluttered and his stomach dropped as he awaited the Roman's answer, he needed to know if he could find his family.  If not, then what type of heaven was this?

Azore of Ath-Ron
Unsophisticated players might think that the Letter of the rules is more important than the Spirit - but the Letter isn't liable to sneak up behind you with an axe if you abuse it.
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline Aireoth

• Join us, we have Pi.
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 12:54:43 AM »
Joseph listened to the other two while still searching the room, looking for any clues, oddities, or other information that might lead him to answers.

He was pleased with the robed man's acknowledgement of his Latin. He knew it was rusty, but any attempt to engender friendship was a worthwhile endeavor.

Deciding not to add to the confusion he briefly answered the mans question. "A man, as confused as these two, perhaps you have some answers?"
W/L/D
52/24/8

Offline skoops6

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 02:50:03 AM »
jason felt a strange tingling on his hand, and looked down to see a oddly shaped tattoo on his palm, the same colour and the flames and the fancy crystal. whats more is as the dark skinned man and the man in the funny looking armor spoke, jason somehow understood every word.

It was an unsetteling feeling, hearing them talk in a completely forien language and yet understanding exactly what they were saying.  "I wonder what languages their speaking" Jason thought to himself,  "Its definitly not english."

considering the possibility the dark skinned man was an australian aboriginal he thought through the aboriginal languages he spoke, such as Yolnga and Yunupingu and decided that he wasn't speaking native either. "no, he's definitely not a native, they tend to not wear such clothes."

Turning his attention to the dark skinned man's question. "yea, thats a fair question, and by extention, does that mean we're dead?

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 07:56:35 AM »
“Wow, my friends. Be calm. I will get to all your questions, though it is strange that three of you wake at once all for the first time. Firstly, I am not Jesus. Secondly, besides the fact I was a mighty Roman. I am the same as you three, just maybe wiser for I have awakened three times already. My third time I traveled along a river, and came across this stone. This is the calmest of all the stones I have witnessed, so I stayed.”

When you all spoke, you could see the Romans tattoo was different than yours. His was blue, and somehow brighter. It felt as if it radiated more power than those on your own hands. “Oh, and I just realized something. It must have been at least a day now.” The Roman turned from all of you, and touched the stone with his right hand. A small tin box appeared on the ground, and he picked it up and opened it. It didn’t contain a lot, but that didn’t make the event any less amazing. He pulled a loaf of bread, a small piece of cheese out of the box, and finally a small plain leather pouch that he fastened to his belt.

“This is the most important thing I can teach you, since you are all new. If you remain in these… unnatural spheres for a day, you can summon things from the stones. Not a lot of course, the gods are not that merciful. But nearly anything, if you can hold all aspects of the thing in place in your mind. But be wary, these places are not safe. They change as if on a whim. Not to mention they can be seen for miles, and they draw a lot of unwanted attention.”

Then in a friendly manner the Roman sat and broke the bread, offering pieces to each of the men around him.

Offline skoops6

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 08:09:48 AM »
Jason sat down with the man who called himself a roman and accepted the bread and cheese, though he was not particularily hungry. "I wonder what a roman is." he though to himself " is it the name of a country, or just his tribe?". Jason sat there and mulled these things over in his head, patient to wait and see what this "roman" had to say.

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 11:43:55 AM »
Daud was glad that the Roman knew what was going on, but not so much that he was in no hurry to answer his question.  That couldn't be helped, though, and so the shortest path to learning more would be to befriend the man, and the other two who awoke with Daud, and to share what knowledge could be had.  To this point, Daud settled down and accepted the bread from the Roman and thanked him for his kindness.

"Well then, since we're here," said Daud, "why don't we get to know one another?  I gather, from our Roman friend and the strange dress of you two," Daud indicated the English speakers, "that we are all from different times.  That makes some sense if we are, as I think, in some form of afterlife.  My name is Daud ibn Nathan, from the city of Sura, though I have spent the majority of my life traveling.  I am a merchant by trade.  By the Christian's calendar, I come from the year 1178.  So, English-speakers, where - and when - are you from?"

Daud figured that pressing the Roman would be difficult if he did not want to talk, so he would start another conversation which was sure to drift back to the nature of the world.

Azore of Ath-Ron
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline Aireoth

• Join us, we have Pi.
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 02:00:51 PM »
Joseph sat taking the piece of bread and listen to the robed man speak, mentally making notes, name, era, city, occupation, it seemed even in death he was still very much a detective.

Joseph looked at the Australian expecting him to speak, he had never known one to hold their tongue, and after a time he decided to speak.

"It seems I'm next. 1930s, Detective Joseph Charles, New York City. I am from a continent far to the west of Rome, which was not discovered until the late 15th century. I am originally from England, which the romans called Britannia." he spoke, clear and methodically. "I must ask you sir Roman, what do you mean by unwanted attention? In a land where it seems death and time have no sting, what is there to fear?" He asked.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 02:01:59 PM by Aireoth »
W/L/D
52/24/8

Offline skoops6

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 10:47:49 PM »
Jason swallowed the bread he had in his mouth and washed it down with a sip of rum. he then put the rest of the bread in one of his many pouches and the rum back in his pocket.

"The name's Jason Mark, an' I was a bounty hunter when I was still kicking. I was born in 1876, in the northern territory of Australia, which I doubt any of you 'cept Joseph have heard 'bout. In the Pacific Ocean it is. and Josephs question is a fair one, if we're all dead already, what's there to fear?"

Offline skoops6

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 06:16:46 AM »
will there be an update any time soon? if your busy thats okay, but just keep us in the loop, if you can

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 07:41:27 AM »
Once they had all finished their meal the Roman onnce again started to speak, "I am Sextus. I served under Caesar in the Roman legion. If that helps any of you with when I am from."

'But you will all be wishing for answers to your questions. Firstly, I do believe all men come here when they die. I have seen people of all sorts of races and cultures. Secondly, everything there was to fear on earth there is to fear here. Mainly each other, but the strange ways of this place are far worst. This is like a play ground for the gods, bizzarre weather moments after you cold see the sun, creatures emerging from no where, and other evils are common." He looked at everyone individually to make sure they were taking this all in.

Offline Aireoth

• Join us, we have Pi.
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 12:53:02 PM »
Joseph mulled this over. "So if we die here," he motioned around "then we come back again? This sounds more like hell then heaven."
W/L/D
52/24/8

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 01:33:21 AM »
"I'd say it sounds a fine place.  It means that, whatever happens, you get to continue on.  You have as long as you want to experience and learn whatever you want, and there is the presence of danger, so eternity will hopefully not become a bore."  Daud was still on the high of getting to see his beloved Rachel once more.  The realities of such a world were beginning to dawn on him, but he was still able to push doubts away.

To Sextus he said, "you said we can summon whatever we want using these stones.  Would you mind explaining how we would go about doing so, and how we know when we are able to use them?  Also, are there any large cities or towns in this world where people congregate?"  At the very least, Daud needed cities to ply his trade, but he also could be sure of finding a Jewish community anywhere that people settled.  Once he found them, he could find his family eventually.

Azore of Ath-Ron
"Esprit de Core," 2005