News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Sixth Plane (Discussion Thread)  (Read 27512 times)

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
  • Armies: Malifaux :P
The Sixth Plane (Discussion Thread)
« on: December 18, 2011, 07:45:58 AM »
My my, what has become of the RPG board? Only one thread has been posted in in over two weeks!? It's time to breathe some life back into this place!

So I present to you, my friends, my latest RPG: The Sixth Plane.

On the Sixth Plane, demons and spirits roam freely about its vast and differing landscapes. A mash of forests, deserts, mountains and lakes, the Sixth Plane is not like Earth at all. Ethereal flames cordon off the most dangerous areas, preventing all but the most malicious and dominant of Demons or the most venerable and powerful of Spirits from passing. It is here that five humans are brought, following the failure of a heretical ritual meant to bring the entities of the Sixth Plane to Earth.

Their fate is yet undecided, but there is no doubt that an arduous and deadly venture awaits them, should they try to escape the Sixth Plane and return to Earth with both their bodies, and their souls, intact.

This is merely an interest thread at the moment, and should I not get enough suitable candidates for players, I'll wait, and bring it up again.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2012, 05:14:28 AM by Saracenar »

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: I'm Baaaaaaack! (With a New Game, Too!)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 10:30:54 AM »
I've been looking for a new RP.  This looks like it'll be interesting, though I certainly won't be able to do much until after New Year's.

SMurfa Clause of Ath-Ron
Unsophisticated players might think that the Letter of the rules is more important than the Spirit - but the Letter isn't liable to sneak up behind you with an axe if you abuse it.
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline Chie Satonaka

• Fsteak
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 03:27:29 PM »
I'd also love to be a part of this RPG as well.
Play League of Legends? Send me a friend request: IGN: "IRiseAgainstYou" NA server.

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 08:15:27 PM »
Giving it some time is no problem, at this point I have only just finished the Character Creation schema and come up with some basic ideas for plot, NPCs, etc. So there won't be any trouble if we wait until the New Year to get started. Good to know though we have two players right off the bat ;D

Any new developments will be posted here.

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
  • Armies: Deffskullz
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 09:17:40 PM »
Yay, good to see your back! Im in!

Offline skoops6

• Armies: those pointy eared dudes with the ninja star guns
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 05:58:27 PM »
im in as well, can't wait!
You mean a gaming and miniatures company has devised a way to encourage you to buy more of their product? The FIENDS!

Offline Killskin

• Wise men wonder while strong men die.
  • Armies: Da Orks
« Reply #6 on: January 1, 2012, 12:29:44 AM »
I`m in. It`s about time this board got a boost.
"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death."
    +++ Count Vlad von Carstein +++

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
« Reply #7 on: January 1, 2012, 01:18:09 AM »
Well, the new year has begun. I guess we can start to get things moving.

First thing I need, is assurances from every person wishing to join that they will be able to stick with this to the end. And what I mean is, I don't want things like "Oh, I forgot I'm going away on a month long holiday, I have to back out," popping up part-way through the game.

Now of course, there are things that unexpectedly occur in our lives, and they can't be avoided. I'm not talking about those things. But if you know that somewhere down the line, in say...the next four-five months, you are going to be without Internet access for an extended period of time (longer than a week we'll say), tell me now.

Secondly, there will be more than just simple role-play in this game. There will be puzzles. There will be riddles. Most aren't particularly difficult as far as I can tell (from the point of view as their creator), and in most instances they will be part of secondary objectives and such, but they will happen. Usually you'll be able to solve them as a group, but individual challenges may also happen.

Thirdly, and I can't stress this enough, I don't tolerate poor spelling and grammar. I'm not saying you have to have constant flawless sentence structure and impeccable spelling (as not even I boast that), but please use capitals and punctuation when appropriate. Also, yes, I am a bit OCD about it.

Fourthly, this is a narrative game, with some behind-the-scenes dice-rolling and such. It shouldn't show through to you players, but if occasionally something doesn't work out for you (say, a spell not working properly), then blame the dice.

Fifthly, the usual rules about god-modding (don't do it), power-modding (don't do it), and respectable behaviour (show it, play with it) apply. You can swear in your posts, but don't be excessive about it, and only do it if it is in character.

If anyone has any more questions, please post them. Once everyone has agreed to my terms, I will supply background information and a character creation sheet. In the meantime, any others are allowed to express interest in joining. I will be choosing the most appropriate and interesting characters to participate, but I am not going over five (5) players.

Thanks, and happy new year!

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
« Reply #8 on: January 1, 2012, 01:30:47 AM »
I agree to the terms and conditions. ;)

But seriously, they do seem perfectly reasonable.

Offline Killskin

« Reply #9 on: January 1, 2012, 12:22:19 PM »
I agree as well. Poor grammar and spelling drives me crazy too.

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: January 1, 2012, 02:22:51 PM »
I agree to the terms, though I'm more hesitant on the conditions.  :P

But really, I'm in for this.  The only times I'll have issue posting are during finals (early May) and maybe the first two nights of Passover.  I'll most likely be able to post, but the posts will be below my usual benchmark, most likely.  I think this'll be acceptable for you, as that will mean maybe a total of two weeks of mediocre posting during the whole affair. 

Azore of Ath-Ron
Unsophisticated players might think that the Letter of the rules is more important than the Spirit - but the Letter isn't liable to sneak up behind you with an axe if you abuse it.
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline Chie Satonaka

• Fsteak
« Reply #11 on: January 1, 2012, 06:41:39 PM »
I agree to all terms and conditions. I'm really looking forward to this one.
Play League of Legends? Send me a friend request: IGN: "IRiseAgainstYou" NA server.

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
« Reply #12 on: January 2, 2012, 07:20:29 AM »
While we're waiting on Skoops, I'll put up information about the game and the character sheet. Prepare for a bit of reading. Well, not too much. Remember, anyone else who is interested in the game, feel free to still show interest and put up a character.

The Sixth Plane is a place much different from Earth. Many natural laws do not apply. Beings there do not need to eat or drink to sustain themselves, but the corporeal forms of humans are still prone to injury as they are on Earth. There is no air, but human bodies do not need it on the Sixth Plane either. What gives entities on the Sixth Plane strength and vitality is the consumption of other souls, be they demon, spirit…or human.

An entity can exist almost indefinitely without feeding on a soul, but they will be weak and frail in comparison to others who do consume.

Also note that everyone can understand each other on the Sixth Plane. You'll all speak and write the same language (including spirits and demons, etc).

Objective
The objective of this game will be to avoid consumption by spirits or demons, and find a way to return to Earth.

Entities
Anything with a soul can be defined as an entity. This includes spirits, demons and humans. In their quest to summon and enslave the denizens of the Sixth Plane, humanity has learned much about them, classifying them as either spirits or demons.

Spirits are often incorporeal and uninterested in power mongering and deception, and prefer to be honest and straightforward. They are generally beings of air or water. They tend to have greater powers than Demons but are less numerous. Some are easy to deceive, being the straightforward beings that they are, while others are intelligent enough to know when they are being fooled.

Demons are usually corporeal beings. Malicious and greedy, they lust for power, and fresh souls to consume. They are mostly beings of fire or earth. While there are plenty of powerful, near almighty Demons, they are far more commonly seen as unintelligible brutes or bloodthirsty runts. They are dangerous and deceptive, and not to be trusted, for they always have their own agendas at heart.

Both Spirits and Demons have been categorised into groups based on their power and ability. There are five main classifications, but there are plenty above and below these classes.
- Agjonates are the weakest of classified entities. They are the second-most numerous class. More than half of the entities classified as agjonates are Demons. Easy to destroy, control and consume, they offer the least amount of Soul Energy but are dangerous in large groups, as they are often found in. It is very rare for agjonates to have incorporeal forms.
- Foliots are the second-weakest of classified entities. Known for their intelligence, they are generally the most malleable of entities, willing to cooperate with others, should it serve their own purposes. Many foliots are capable of flight, and are usually too concerned with themselves to bother causing trouble for others.
- Djinn are the most numerous of all classified entities, and cover a wide range of ‘normal’ Spirits and Demons. They tend not to conform to any one stereotype save their destructive capabilities, but even that varies to some degree. An even mix of Spirits and Demons make up the classification.
- Afrits are powerful entities, more commonly Spirits than Demons, but are not often seen in comparison to the lower classes. Afrits with physical forms have far greater strength than four djinn combined, but compensate for this with a lack of ingenuity or the cunning that foliots and djinn are better known for. They have a strong sense of loyalty and are often protectors or henchmen of even more powerful entities.
- Marids are the most dangerous of classified entities. Their power puts most other beings to shame. They are the rarest of entities, as they prefer to laze about and not worry about the trivial affairs of anyone else. Should a marid become enraged or angered, most other entities disappear, afraid that they will be destroyed with the twitch of a limb or the blink of an eye. Fortunately they have rather calm tempers.

The Soulless
The Soulless are the savage inhabitants of the Sixth Plane. It is unclear whether they are the discarded bodies of consumed entities, or they are simply frenzied monsters eager for violence. In any case, there is little bargaining that can be done with them, for most cannot even speak, and do not seem the slightest bit interested in promises or assurances.

The vast majority of them have forms akin to withered corpses, bone dry skeletons or fleshy husks. With no Soul Energy to be found in them, and no will to control, few find any reason to let them continue living, if they can help it…

Sorcery
In order to defend themselves, the humans will need to call upon their arcane knowledge in order to control or destroy spirits and demons they encounter. Doing so will deplete their Soul Energy.

Soul Energy is the power contained by an entity. Humans possess very little in comparison to some other entities, but combined with their knowledge of spells, it can make them very powerful.

Human sorcery comes in the form of disciplines, with each sorcerer devoting themselves to one particular field of practice. The main disciplines are Blood, Death, Demonology, Flame, Litany and Shadow. Most magic is invoked through complex hand movements or uttered phrases of power. Sometimes, sacrifices other than Soul Energy are required.

Shackling
The unique properties of the human soul allow it to bond other souls to it, with the strongest will maintaining control of any physical or mental abilities of the human. This act is known as shackling, and is a human’s greatest ability.

Shackling can be performed on spirits and demons, and involves absorbing an entity in its entirety. This can be a daunting task, specifically with more powerful beings. Thus it is often necessary to weaken something one wishes to shackle, beforehand. Once shackled, an entity will have a hard time escaping or assuming control, thanks to the incantations and enchantments weaved by the human.

Shackled entities can be summoned to aid the human controlling them. They are forced to obey any command given or can instead be sacrificed to replenish Soul Energy.

It's possible there will be more info to come, but for now, here's the character creation sheet:

Name: Your name.
Age: Your age. No character can be under 20 years of age.
Appearance: What you look like. Characters come from a nondescript medieval time period ("Earth" is simply the name of our realm, not necessarily the same Earth as we know) and arrive in the sixth plane with no belongings save their clothes and a ritual dagger, as that was all that was allowed to be brought to the ritual.
Discipline: Players choose one field of sorcery. The fields are:

Blood: This discipline focuses on sacrifice, suffering and pain. Choosing Blood as your major field grants you the spells Blood Tribute, Affliction and Vitality Leech.
- Blood Tribute: The caster can use either their own blood or that of a corporeal entity they have shackled to increase their power. The more blood sacrificed, the more powerful and simple to perform the caster’s other spells become. Sacrificing a shacked entity will also heal the caster of all wounds, in addition to replenishing Soul Energy.
- Affliction: The caster curses the blood of a corporeal enemy, choosing either to paralyse, maim or weaken them for a temporary period. The more blood has been sacrificed, the longer lasting or more damaging the spell is.
- Vitality Leech: The caster drains the very essence of life from an enemy, be they corporeal or not, transferring it to them. The more blood that has been sacrificed, the more essence can be transferred.

Death: This discipline focuses on necromancy, application and prevention of death. Choosing Death as your major field grants you the spells Raise Minion, Decay and Protect.
- Raise Minion: The sixth plane is littered with the remains of the corporeal forms of spirits and demons. The caster can summon to their aid a husk of animated death to do their will. The longer the spell is sustained the more taxing it is on the caster. Note that there doesn't have to be a physical corpse nearby.
- Decay: With the power of death at their fingers, the caster is able to drain the life and energy from an entity, turning it into a withered shadow of its former self. Effective against corporeal enemies. Ineffective against incorporeal enemies.
- Protect: Being a master of death means knowing how to avoid it. The caster can create a barrier of energy to protect themself or another entity from harm. The more damage absorbed, the more taxing it is on the caster.

Demonology: This discipline focuses on advanced control and manipulation of demons. Choosing Demonology as your major field grants you the spells Multiple Summon, Will Domination and Soul Bond.
- Multiple Summon: Allows the caster to summon more than one demon at a time. The more demons summoned at once, the more taxing it is on the caster. The first two demons count as one for this purpose.
- Will Domination: The caster uses their deep knowledge of Demon-kind to take over those not already contained within them, and control them with their mind. Allows the caster to control a non-shackled demon for an amount of time up to them (cannot control Marids).
- Power Drain: When the caster consumes a demon’ soul, that soul will transfer part of the demon’s power to the caster, in addition to the usual Soul Energy.
Demonologists have an easier time shackling demons.

Flame: This discipline focuses on destruction, aggression and offense. Choosing Flame as your major field grants you the spells Conflagrate, Flameform and Burning Brand.
- Conflagrate: The caster summons ethereal flames to burn and disorient an enemy. High damage to spirits. Weakened damage to demons. The more fire that is created, the more taxing the spell is on the caster.
- Flameform: The caster wreaths themselves in ethereal fire, creating an incorporeal barrier that also consumes any physical matter unfortunate enough to be too close. The longer the barrier is maintained, the more taxing it is on the caster.
- Burning Brand: The caster marks an enemy with a flaming symbol, slowly burning them from the inside and allowing the caster to manipulate or harm them with precise cruelty. Choose to weaken, confuse or enrage the target, in addition to the burning. More effective against corporeal targets than incorporeal.

Litany: This discipline focuses on vindication, banishment and destruction of incorporeal entities. Choosing Litany as your major field grants you the spells Wraithbane, Etherblast and Imbue.
- Wraithbane: The caster wards away incorporeal enemies with an incantation of deterrence. Incorporeal enemies cannot maintain proximity to the caster without suffering severe damage to their forms. The longer the spell is maintained, the more taxing it is on the caster.
- Etherblast: The caster assaults the form of a foe with violent bursts of incorporeal energy, causing great harm to both the body and soul of the enemy. The stronger the assault, the more taxing it is on the caster. Affects both corporeal and incorporeal targets.
- Imbue: The caster utters an incantation of augmentation, instilling themself or another with arcane power. Physical strength and endurance are increased. If casting on self, the caster (and any weapon they possess) becomes able to harm incorporeal entities as if they were corporeal. The longer the spell is maintained, and the greater the enhancements it imbues, the more taxing it is on the caster.

Shadow: This discipline focuses on deception, illusion and intimidation. Choosing Shadow as you major field grants you the spells Shadowguise, Shadeform and Deceive.
- Shadowguise: The caster alters their form, allowing them to transform into as small a creature as a rat to as large a creature as an elephant, and take on any form they can imagine. The longer the caster uses this spell, the more taxing it is on them.
- Shadeform: The caster turns their body incorporeal, protecting it from physical dangers and obstacles. Corporeal enemies and damage sources do not affect the caster, and they can move through otherwise impassable objects.
- Deceive: The caster manipulates the mind of another entity, forcing it to see what the caster wants it to see. Can be used to create confusion or fear among enemies, possibly resulting in damage. The grander the illusion and the longer it is maintained, the more taxing it is on the caster.

No more than two players can choose the same discipline.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2012, 06:52:30 PM by Saracenar »

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: January 2, 2012, 07:53:10 AM »
Name: Therese Bonaire, known as 'Pale Therese'

Appearance: Therese is a willowy young woman of twenty four, the third daughter of a minor noble house with few prospects beyond an arranged marriage and domestic servitude. Her moniker derives from her pallid skin, a symptom of the coughing disease that wracked her body as a child. She has a delicate face, high boned and fine-featured with glossy black hair that falls to her shoulders and hooded hazel eyes. On the night of the failed ritual, she had been wearing a gown of deep crimson, the colour of arterial blood, beneath a plain black cloak.

Discipline: Blood

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
« Reply #14 on: January 2, 2012, 12:38:13 PM »
Name: Odoacer von Chelsheim. His title is "Master of shadows," or "Shadow" for short.

Appearance: Shadow is a light gaunt fellow, and a ranking member of the Thieves guild. He was born of noble blood, but his family was killed and his lands taken when he was a boy. He escaped the attack and hid in one of the nearby cities, where over time he developed a trait for thievery and pickpocketing. In his teen years his skills were recognized by the thieves guild, who quickly took him in among their ranks. There he did well for himself, and sought after any training his superiors would give him. He has dark skin and dark short hair, traits common to those from his region. To the ritual he wore a hooded black cloak, which he had thought appropriate for the occasion.

Discipline: Shadow

Offline Chie Satonaka

• Fsteak
« Reply #15 on: January 2, 2012, 01:33:26 PM »
I see someone's been reading some Jonathon Stroud lately. The temptation to enslave a pair of djinn and name them Bartimaeus and Faquarl will be overwhelming, you do realize.

Name: Giuseppe Molinari

Appearance: Giuseppe, like many Italians, has olive skin and dark eyes and facial hair, although his head is shaved. Although he is slightly thin and short, he is quite strong thanks to years of farm labor. He wears brown monk's robes.

Discipline: Demonology

EDIT:
Background: The son of poor farmers in northern Italy, Giuseppe's only chance at rising above the horrid life of a peasant was to join a monastery. After becoming a monk and finishing his education, Giuseppe became entangled with some of the more unsavory monks in the monastery. Giuseppe and the monks began a complex ritual, hoping to discover dark secrets.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2012, 10:58:42 PM by JoBob5FDP »

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: January 2, 2012, 03:28:36 PM »
Name: Lilith Stagesmith
Appearance: Lilith stands taller than many peasant women, probably by dint of her family, a troupe of traveling storytellers, bards, actors, and the like, having been held in high regard at a number of courts.  She was most enamored with stage creation, which eventually drew her to the discipline of Shadow.  Lilith keeps her brown hair cut short so that it doesn't get in the way of painting or building sets.  Her eyes are brown as well, with Caucasian skin.  At the ceremony which sent her to the Sixth Plane Lilith was wearing a dress of fine make, dyed in many colors and with many beads of stained glass sewn on, the effect of which is a shimmering whirl of color.  This ephemeral appearance reflects Lilith's love of creating illusions, as well has her penchant for practical jokes.
Discipline: Shadow

Azore of Ath-Ron
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
« Reply #17 on: January 2, 2012, 07:22:17 PM »
I see someone's been reading some Jonathon Stroud lately. The temptation to enslave a pair of djinn and name them Bartimaeus and Faquarl will be overwhelming, you do realize.

Oh, how I love those books. I have changed a few details, but mostly it is a similar system. Mind you, the entities will have set names, so no Bartimaeus and Faquarl...for now ;D

Looking good everyone, we'll leave this open until we get at least five characters, and then I'll put a time limit on it.

Offline Killskin

« Reply #18 on: January 2, 2012, 08:57:48 PM »
Name: Kane Mazren
Appearance: Kane was never really a fighter until at a young age his family was killed and he narrowly escaped with his life. For years he feared death, not wanting to be next, until one day an older gentleman offered to make him what he feared most. The man taught him the discipline of Death, and with his new power he raised a small hoard of undead and exacted his revenge on the murderers of his family and smiled as he made their leader wither away to nothing.
    Kane is 6 feet tall with only a light build. He has short black hair and blue eyes and somewhat pale skin. He wears a black shirt, black pants, black boots, a black hooded cloak, and black fingerless gloves. He is fast, agile, and has good endurance.

Discipline: Death (shadow was already taken. All well, you snooze, you lose.)

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: January 3, 2012, 12:00:53 AM »

Oh, how I love those books. I have changed a few details, but mostly it is a similar system. Mind you, the entities will have set names, so no Bartimaeus and Faquarl...for now ;D

Yeah, thought I smelt a whiff of that series when I looked at the levels of spirits. ;D

Looking forward to getting under way, it's been too long since I was in a game on these boards.