News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Modern Warfare 3  (Read 1980 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Modern Warfare 3
« on: November 8, 2011, 01:20:24 PM »
Modern Warfare 3 was just dropped off by the nice Amazon person so that's this evening sorted. Now just to see how much my old computer really hates me when it comes to new games.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Cortez

Re: Modern Warfare 3
« Reply #1 on: November 8, 2011, 09:40:28 PM »
I played a wee bit last night after work (also after half killing my left arm with another hobby). As someone on another forum I frequent aptly said, it is essentially "MW2 with more recoil".

I do, however, like the addition of lesser known, but dear to my heart weapons, like the FN5-7, P99 and the return of the G36c and full-stock MP5! It's nice to see that Soap's impressive mohawk is more solid than it was in MW2 too. Sound design is excellent, and the tweaks in terms of weapon design are a great update.

I like it.
Quote from: arah
first thing you dont need to mob opponents as marines. YOU ARE SPACE MARINES DAMNIT MOBBING IS FOR OKRS!!!
Quote from: Starrakatt of the Chortling Chainsaw
Self proclaimed kings - that's three now: Seer Fox, Thalandir, Shloeb... Self proclaimed gods are bigger, meaner and mightier.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 9, 2011, 12:25:24 AM »
I'm enjoying it so far. As you say, very much MW 2 with a few tweaks but that's just fine considering how much I liked MW 2. Some nice touches with the voice work with a few lampshades hung and snark added for the obvious tropes.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Full Metal Geneticist

• Sir Quotesaplenty | No new bastardy suits.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Defender of the Text Wall
    • FMG's Angry Rantings
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 12:18:33 AM »
Am I the only one here who felt a bit motion sick while playing the game? It seems kind of weirdly forced to play.

Maybe it's just my tender vitals... Still working through the plot, and slowly at that.

It is pernicious nonsense that feeds into a rising wave of irrationality which threatens to overwhelm the hard-won gains of the Enlightenment and the scientific method. We risk as a society slipping back into a state of magical thinking when made-up science passes for rational discourse. I would compare it to witchcraft but honestly that's insulting to witches.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 12:21:43 AM »
You wait till the vehicle shoot out every door you can find while in a car chase mission. That'll do your motion sickness in.  ;)

Done with the campaign, time to do it again but with exploring and faffing around to see what's about.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Full Metal Geneticist

• Sir Quotesaplenty | No new bastardy suits.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Defender of the Text Wall
    • FMG's Angry Rantings
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 01:23:13 AM »
The weird thing is I have travelled by helicopter, plane and what can generously be called a bathtub rather than a boat and never felt motion sick.

Maybe I have hit the limit of realistic shooters. I should hold off on them till someone comes up with a new Unreal Tournament to undo the damage from all the brown...

It is pernicious nonsense that feeds into a rising wave of irrationality which threatens to overwhelm the hard-won gains of the Enlightenment and the scientific method. We risk as a society slipping back into a state of magical thinking when made-up science passes for rational discourse. I would compare it to witchcraft but honestly that's insulting to witches.

Offline Chie Satonaka

• Fsteak
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 04:25:36 AM »
Am I the only one here who felt a bit motion sick while playing the game? It seems kind of weirdly forced to play.

Maybe it's just my tender vitals... Still working through the plot, and slowly at that.

If you are playing it on the PC, it may be the FOV. I've heard that the FOV for MW3 on the PC is about 65 degrees, while on most other PC shooters it is about 90. It's basically like playing a game while wearing goggles. I was watching a review of the PC version on YouTube and the damn thing almost made me sick. It certainly gave me a headache.

EDIT: Then again, the reviewer was complaining about the same thing, so there may be some sort of placebo effect or whatever you call it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 04:30:12 AM by JoBob »
Play League of Legends? Send me a friend request: IGN: "IRiseAgainstYou" NA server.

Offline Hanith

• Not on speaking terms with my dice.
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 04:40:14 PM »
I've been playing it the past couple days. The game is still young and yet people are already locking into their old cookie-cutter loadouts. The most annoying of these are the akimbo-SMG/machine pistol-fast shot-hip fire group -_-. The almost total lack of accuracy required for this bothers me. It reminds me too much of "The Frenchmen" from Monty Python's Holy Grail, "We <verb> in your general direction!". Especially when they start trolling about it.
For me: 16.667% chance of failure equates to a 83.334% failure rate.