News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 8229 times)

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
Re: Battlefield 3
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 02:13:09 AM »
I think they are joined actually... I think I had to for Portal 2...

The plus side with BF3 is that stats for everyone are stored online... so we can still compare how crap I am compared to everyone!

Offline Cortez

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 02:31:55 AM »
Game was released a day early in Aus today.

Online pre-orders cannot play until after midnight though, and the physical copy requires a 470mb download before you can play (for PC).
Quote from: arah
first thing you dont need to mob opponents as marines. YOU ARE SPACE MARINES DAMNIT MOBBING IS FOR OKRS!!!
Quote from: Starrakatt of the Chortling Chainsaw
Self proclaimed kings - that's three now: Seer Fox, Thalandir, Shloeb... Self proclaimed gods are bigger, meaner and mightier.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 05:13:11 AM »
Yeah, I was reading online at the battlelog site for BF3 and i'm pretty sure that all platforms will have updates on purchase which will help overcome some final issues and introduce some last minute tweaks to various things.

Offline Ashman

• Fear of Bovines. | Cool title here until Devern thinks of something better
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2011, 06:14:47 PM »
I really hope amazon gets it's amphetamine parrot together and ships on time or early. My brother's new coldplay cd arrived two days after it was released. Better not pull that kind of amphetamine parrot with mah BF3!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2011, 06:19:37 PM »
If you pre-order a little way ahead Amazon usually delivers on release day for computer games. Unless that's for Prime members only.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Perigrine

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 03:40:39 AM »
So ok I got my copy and holy crap does thid game look amazing on pc.

The one thing ill have to get used to and I'm not sure I like is the sniper rifles seem to use tracer rounds.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 03:45:40 AM »
You've got to be careful as a sniper too... because people can see the glare from your gunsight when you are pointing it in their direction. Just like people spot the red dot crossing their screen with a red dot sight.

I don't think you can really see the tracers when an enemy sniper fires though, but its helpful for the firer to figure out where his shots are going to adjust lead etc... I tried my hand at some sniping in the beta and its hard. This is good because hopefully it will stop those mad sniper-nutters that you got running around everywhere in MW2.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 05:28:21 AM »
Sniping in the battlefield series has always required skill, the reason why it is more difficult in BF than it is in COD is that in COD the bullet impacts the moment you pull the trigger, all you need is the sights over the guys body and BAM!  You got yourself a kill.  Battlefield you have to lead the target and compensate for bullet drop.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Space Merlyn

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Pleidiol wyf
  • Armies: Eldar, Salamanders, 'Nids
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 06:09:58 AM »
My PS3 copy has just arrived, woop for pre-ordering with Tesco for £32!

Took the day off has I had a dentist appointment this morning. This game arriving early has turned my day around for the good  :D

Just waiting for 226 MB patch to download and install before kicking things off :)

My PS3 id is "DocJoe" - please send an invite if you want to hook up for multi-player...

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 08:53:51 AM »
I don't actually play BF or CoD, but my brother often does while i'm sitting down painting, and i have to say, BF3 looks like a solid game. The graphics themselves aren't anything spectacular, or at least aren't anything we haven't seen before (on the console anyway), and the story is 'eh'. I think both BF and CoD have kinda gone for overkill in their stories lately, but i guess thats what it takes to sell titles. It's all just a pretense to the multiplayer anyway.

I think that is where the game shines. I've seen my brother play through countless hours of CoD;MW2, and the hour he spent on BF3 last night puts them to shame. The lighting effects, particle clouds, sounds, not to mention the more realistic sniping experience make the game more viceral. I remember one point where my brother and another sniper spent a good 3 minutes shooting at eachother, ducking behind various forms of cover and looking for glare from eachothers scopes while trying to pin the other down. It was actually quite a tense experience, and i wasn't even playing.

I have noticed that online play seems to be suffering from some lag problems, mind you, and i hope they sort that out, because said brother is not known to be particularly patient.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Perigrine

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2011, 11:19:39 AM »
Yes sniping in the BF series of games has taken skill, due to physics effects on bullets.

When it comes to sniping this time around they have added back in the breathing mechanic which was present in 2142 but absent from the bad company series.

When it comes to lag online it manifests for me as moon walking. Ill be moving forward then ill be a couple of paces behind where I was.

If ypou haven't given the single player ago you really need to get to the flight mission as graphically its just stunning.

Offline High Grandmaster smithmyster666 of the Grey Knights

• Strike from the skies brothers!!!
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 01:21:35 PM »
Mine arrived a day early, (should have arrived tommorrow) and my god am I excited, its been a long time since the beta, I just hope that all my unlocks from the beta transfer over, because I love my A-91 :)
From the skies we rain, as the emperors fist we strike against our foes, until all blood be it alien, heretic or mutant is spilled. we will not rest until the galaxy is cleansed free of these monstrosities and we hold these worlds in the name of humanity and its immortal emperor.

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2011, 02:06:18 PM »
Mine arrived a day early, (should have arrived tommorrow) and my god am I excited, its been a long time since the beta, I just hope that all my unlocks from the beta transfer over, because I love my A-91 :)
No, they don't.

I don't actually play BF or CoD, but my brother often does while i'm sitting down painting, and i have to say, BF3 looks like a solid game. The graphics themselves aren't anything spectacular, or at least aren't anything we haven't seen before (on the console anyway)...
That is the thing, unlike the Call of Duty series which has been made for consoles over the past few years and been ported to PC, Battlefield 3 was specifically designed for PC gamers and was ported to the consoles.  If you want to get a true feel for what the graphics are like, you need to play the game on a computer that leaves "Top of the line" in the dust.

I know for myself with playing on PC, visually comparing this game to Black Ops there is no comparison.  I am running the game on low settings with a lower resolution than I normall do (800x600 instead of 1600x900) and the game has better graphics than black ops running on high settings at 16x9.  The other difference between PC and console is console players are stuck with the same sub-optimal graphics for as long as they play where as players in my position can upgrade our computers to reach the maximum potential of this game.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 02:55:21 PM »
That is the thing, unlike the Call of Duty series which has been made for consoles over the past few years and been ported to PC, Battlefield 3 was specifically designed for PC gamers and was ported to the consoles.  If you want to get a true feel for what the graphics are like, you need to play the game on a computer that leaves "Top of the line" in the dust.

I know for myself with playing on PC, visually comparing this game to Black Ops there is no comparison.  I am running the game on low settings with a lower resolution than I normall do (800x600 instead of 1600x900) and the game has better graphics than black ops running on high settings at 16x9.  The other difference between PC and console is console players are stuck with the same sub-optimal graphics for as long as they play where as players in my position can upgrade our computers to reach the maximum potential of this game.

Yeah... i don't see myself putting the effort into doing something like that. I'm not myself much of a FPS kinda guy. I enjoyed Halo, though i suck donkey dong at it when it comes to multi player. The few times i've tried any of the BF or CoD series, i got steamrolled into the dust. Not my kind of game really.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Perigrine

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2011, 05:00:15 PM »
I have my resolution set to 1920x1080 with settings on High and its gorgeous. This running an Nvidia 460gtx which according to Nvidia is not optimal for bf 3.

I would love to see it running on a 580 or a 590 running on Ultra settings but cant see putting out $600 right now for a graphics card.

Offline Shadows Revenge

• The All Knowing
  • Armies: Dark Eldar, Raven Guard
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2011, 09:42:58 AM »
sad part even the console version looks amazing after you download the HD configuration (asks you if you want to the first time you start the game) Although the PC version blows anything currently out of the water.

Currently Im all about air combat. There is no one (barring one of my clan mates, and thats still a toss-up as we havent been on opposing sides yet) that can take me out of the sky. Actually Ive died more from hitting those high cranes on Operation Firestorm (think thats the name, the one with the construction site) more than someone else shooting me down. And while heat seekers are nice on the plane (and makes dogfights too easy) I prefer the rocket pods so I can rip into ground targets with ease. Now all I need to get is some Air to Ground guided missles and my life is complete :P

I am also a very compitent heli-pilot, and am working on getting my unlocks for those as well (plus I love sticking landings after taking a stinger or two and repairing my own heli :P)

On a side note, get the mortar for the support class. Man that thing is so accurate, and it takes out tanks with ease :P

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2011, 03:43:59 PM »
It's support that gets the mortar?  Damn, here I was grinding up the engineer class  for it lol.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline High Grandmaster smithmyster666 of the Grey Knights

• Strike from the skies brothers!!!
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2011, 05:46:08 PM »
Engineer gets the javelin ;)
From the skies we rain, as the emperors fist we strike against our foes, until all blood be it alien, heretic or mutant is spilled. we will not rest until the galaxy is cleansed free of these monstrosities and we hold these worlds in the name of humanity and its immortal emperor.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2011, 06:18:12 PM »
So my copy hasn't arrived yet  >:( The postman doesnt noramlly come on fridays anyway, so i suppose I should expect it tomorrow morning when he does normally come round. However it gets worse... my TV is broken!  >:(

yes... thats right...

I'll be sitting with a copy of this awesome game and still wont be able to play it.

Despite being pretty sick at the moment too, I'm going to have to head out and buy some replacement parts for the TV before setting about trying to fix it (and hoping for the best)!!!

Everythings fixed and I spent a little time sunday and this morning playing! I got into the campaign, deciding that I wasn't "normal" and got going on "hard"... It is hard. I suppose I should have expected that!

At the moment I am at teh start of the mission where you go for a run with a mortar... then get to not fire the damn thing... Also, apparently I can't find the damn entrance to the block of flats!!??

The mission where you are navigator in the F18 is sweet! and also this morning I started doing some multiplayer. and a few games in got my first ride as pilot in an F18...

This is so cool... and you'll be happy to know that i didn't crash and burn... however I'm not sure how I'm ever supposed to actually hit anything!? They forgot to load rockets or bombs it seems...  Also, I got a little worried because I'm not sure if I can eject - I didn't want to try it because I still haven't worked out how to deploy the parachute?? any help there would be appreciated (PS3).

Still, I done some unlocking with teh assault guy - defibbing here I come ( I loved doing this in beta) and I also managed to destroy myself a bunch of tanks with the engineer! fun fun fun!

I played a level where the ruskies start aboard an aircraft carrier and got to drive their amphibious transport to shore! that was cool!

Basically, now I'm sitting at work and daydreadming about BF3...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 08:34:13 AM by O:nk »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: November 1, 2011, 04:41:16 PM »
The didn't forget to load them, they are upgrades you have to unlock specifically while in that vehicle.  The biggest pain in the ass I found was getting the flares.  Before flares, planes are stupidly bad as they are always getting shot down by SAM's and air craft.  One or two good dog fights though and you are good to go.  Now my jets have flares and heat seekers
I knew I had fans!!!