News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: RPGs like Baldurs Gate?  (Read 7311 times)

Offline Col. Dash

• We're the Imperium, we're here to help
RPGs like Baldurs Gate?
« on: August 12, 2011, 09:23:43 AM »
Have there been any good PC RPGs out like the Baldurs gate and Icewind Dale series where you create a party and adventure? Kinda tired of the first person stuff. Since D3 already seems like a disappointment since you are forced to be online at all times, kinda hoping something good has been released in the not too distant past.

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
Re: RPGs like Baldurs Gate?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 09:35:05 AM »
Baldur's gate 2 was the best of these types of games, since then they've got a lot better graphicly but have lost alot gameplay wise, just not as tactical or as fun.

I suppose if you fancy a similar experiance and have access to an old xbox (might be able to play on a 360 or PC) then the first Knights of the old republic game was great and had a similar-ish playstyle.

I assume you've tried them but if not Mass effect and dragonage are very good new style RPG's from the same company as BG, and oblivion is also worth trying just for the size and ammount of stuff that you can do.

Offline Omnichron

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 10:02:11 AM »
They just don't make games as they used to.

I must say I loved Dragon Age: Origins though. It's a good story with both tactics and followers. I had it on my 360, which means less tactics I've understood.

I still play the old games alot, as those are actually more about the game than the graphics. Fallout 1 and 2 for instance. Bad graphics, but imo the best games ever. Too bad there never was a fallout 3...  ;D

Offline Fealhach

• Armies: CWE, DE, IG, SoB and Crimson Fists
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 11:47:07 AM »
It's not as partyish but there was Neverwinter Nights a while ago. I still play it online and it can be very heavy on the rp the only difference, of course, is the party is made up of real people.  :)

It is about 9 years old though and there aren't as many good servers left. We're always looking for new players on my regular server (Legacy of the North) since it's pretty quiet these days: only a handful of players on at it's busiest times.

That was a shameless plug. Sorry!  ::)

Offline Ironclad

• We are the nothing.
  • Armies: Dark Angels
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 12:36:19 PM »
Honestly even though its more one person RPG Oblivion is an awesome game and you can game for well over 350 hours or at least I did and I still didn't even explore every dungeon in the game.  Other than that I'm not sure what to suggest based on what you're looking for.  Although Dragon Age Origins was an awesome game in my opinion not sure if its on PC though.
Hell follows behind me...

Offline Fealhach

• Armies: CWE, DE, IG, SoB and Crimson Fists
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 12:43:22 PM »
I didn't play it myself, but Planescape was well received and iirc used the same engine as Baldur's Gate. I also recommend Knights of the Old Republic, but the sequel was terrible and not even finished properly!

Offline Col. Dash

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 12:55:19 PM »
Played Oblivion and Morrowwind. Played Planescape back in the day. I would play BG2 but a: i cant find it and B: I dont think it was designed to be windows 7 or Vista friendly. Run into that a couple times now with older games. DA was ok. Didnt like how there were only a couple different looks to the armor that and it wasnt much better than 1st person.

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 04:33:09 PM »
I'd forgotten about planescape torment ::)

If anyone out there hasn't played it but liked BG then I can highly recomment tracking down a copy. It had a great story, awesome characters and alot of roleplaying for a computer game. It brought the really interesting planescape setting to life and even thought it used the same engine as the other similar games of the time it feel quite different.

Off to find my discs :D

Offline Perigrine

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 12:12:22 PM »
Another vote here for Planescape: Torment, probably the best d&d video game ever made.

However it might be tough to find as it came out in 98 or 99.

Offline Rems

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 04:37:17 AM »
For partys and Baldurs gate style : Neverwinter Nights and Dragon Age Origins (which is said to be a spiritual successor to the BG series which is sort of true). Both made by Bioware (as was BG)

For other good rpg's: Planetscape Torment, Knights of the Old Republic (partys) Mass Effect (partys), Oblivion (modded though wait for skyrim), Deus Ex (and the new one coming out) Vampire; the Masquerade, Bloodlines. You can probably find planet scape and many other old games no longer in stores though digital distribution. Places like gamers gate, gog and others all offer older games.

Ha gog does have it (Planetscape) thought so http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue#rpg/ Love sites like this which save games from becoming vapourware.

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 07:56:27 AM »
Ha gog does have it (Planetscape) thought so http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue#rpg/ Love sites like this which save games from becoming vapourware.

Thanks Rems, I can see myself losing alot of time and money due to that link :D

Great website, the games are really cheap and say they work on the latest operating systems.

Offline Col. Dash

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 08:15:59 AM »
Awesome site! Glad I posted. Think i will be picking that up in the near future :)

Offline ChapterMaster42

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 09:46:35 PM »
I own champions of norrath and the 2nd one, champions of norrath: return to arms. They both have a gameplay style rather similar to baldurs gate. However i played them on the ps2 so i dont know for sure if tey are avaikable on the pc, but its worth a shot to look up! I thoroughly enjoyed both games, definitely worth a shot id say :)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 10:19:28 PM »
[gmod]Last time this thread was posted in was August. Please leave the dead to their rest.[/gmod]
*click*
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...