News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Space Marine console game thread  (Read 16841 times)

Offline Mr Draken

• Armies: Saim-Hann, White Scars, Space Wolves, Catachans.
Re: Space Marine console game thread
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2011, 06:42:01 AM »
So ive got it on PC, and i finished the campaign, loved it, ive heard people say "oh its shallow, and predictable" but honestly, its a typical marine story, x planet gets invaded by orks, marines come in and do their thing, IE: destroy everything and anything they can wile they wait for backup to arrive...

Multiplayer for PC: apart from lag issues..... and not being able to get into a game now cuz of their first minor patch.... multiplayer is awsome, all the classes feel balanced and work how i thought they would in the fluff, ill agree with what was said before: teamwork is your #1 friend in this game! get a strong rounded team, and u can dominate, get a team of all assault marines, and ur toast.

overall if they can put up dedicated servers instead of P2P for PC(like AvP got but sadly to late to save it) then this game will do awsomely for a long time to come! bring on exterminartus mode!
Carpe Diem Baby...

Offline Hades Hound

• Who needs food when you have miniatures?
« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2011, 10:13:14 AM »
Dude, if you're going to say stuff like that, how about you preface it with "SPOILER ALERT!!!", because I'm only halfway through the campaign, and now I'm wondering why bother, based simply on the first line.

When he said that Titus dies mid execution he means just in normal gameplay, when you perform an execution move and get killed by remaining enemies because you can't cancel the moves and they do take a bit of extra time. I thought it was a spoiler when I read it first, but its not.

You're right Saracenar. Sorry Grand Master, jumped down your throat a bit too quick because I also misread it at first. Still, let that be a lesson to the rest of you: Some of us have spoiler sensitive skin   ;)

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2011, 12:35:06 PM »
I somehow cannot join Multiplayer Games either on the PS. It's searching for Matches, for like half an hour now. And although it found some, I somehow don't seem able to join them, because... it's searching for more  :-[
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline High Grandmaster smithmyster666 of the Grey Knights

• Strike from the skies brothers!!!
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
try 3 hours :/ in one sitting.

its wierd because it connects, as i can hear people on headset, then they just fade back into the ether from whence they came
From the skies we rain, as the emperors fist we strike against our foes, until all blood be it alien, heretic or mutant is spilled. we will not rest until the galaxy is cleansed free of these monstrosities and we hold these worlds in the name of humanity and its immortal emperor.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2011, 03:29:05 PM »
Lost in the Warp?  ;)

I'm dead in the water with the game till what ever this bug is gets patched. Myself and many others it appears from the forum complaints.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2011, 04:54:36 PM »
Well i finally managed to join a game... unfortunately, i get slaughtered by lvl 33 characters, while im stuck at lvl 1, wielding a combat knife and bolt pistol. I don't get any exp either, because the high lvl chars gain all of it. It's funny that i can get a lot more exp when i do stupid single-player private games to level faster. That's a bad concept.
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2011, 05:09:37 PM »
Are you playing annihilation or seize ground? It's pretty easy to gain experience in seize ground just by taking part in captures. You'll start levelling up pretty fast as all those +200xp bonus mount up. Also try hanging back in support roles as a Tactical or Devastator until you have the experience to mix it up at the front lines.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 05:13:05 PM by Khemri. »

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2011, 05:41:01 PM »
Thanks for the advice, i was indeed taking a beating in Annihilation. I then started playing one-man games in Seize Ground on private, which is worth 1k in exp every two minutes. But it's rather boring, i stopped at lvl 8 now  ::)

« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2011, 06:45:03 PM »
well, looking at the forum this game has gone the way of recent attempts to enter space, and failed at launch, like those on the forums, i feel just an apology is unacceptable, multiplayer usually takes 90% of the time you actually play the game. its like ordering a chinese to find they skipped the sauces, meats etc and just sent you boiled rice and prawn crackers. not on relic, not on, compensation for totally inadequate service is required.
From the skies we rain, as the emperors fist we strike against our foes, until all blood be it alien, heretic or mutant is spilled. we will not rest until the galaxy is cleansed free of these monstrosities and we hold these worlds in the name of humanity and its immortal emperor.

Offline Bassiecore

• Ork Boy
  • Insert generic quote here
« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2011, 06:47:19 PM »
I have just bought this game, installed it and played for around 3 hours. Yes it may be sad but it is such an awesome game. Everything runs just fine and it is the first game i have seen where the cutscene graphics have been the same as the ingame graphics. Normaly i find that the cutscenes are much better than ingame graphics so that was a plesant surprise.
THe Plasma pistol's overcharge shot makes no sense fluff wise but otherwise is pretty damn cool, its the fact that the Meltagun is an anti-infantry weapon that gets the inner Fluff-Nazi growling :P

Havnt tried online yet, anyone here got it on pc and wants a game..... :)

Phoenix

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2011, 08:37:34 PM »
well, looking at the forum this game has gone the way of recent attempts to enter space, and failed at launch, like those on the forums, i feel just an apology is unacceptable, multiplayer usually takes 90% of the time you actually play the game. its like ordering a chinese to find they skipped the sauces, meats etc and just sent you boiled rice and prawn crackers. not on relic, not on, compensation for totally inadequate service is required.
Yeah good luck with that.  People have been saying the same about CoD Black Ops since it was released...
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2011, 09:13:46 PM »
Yeah, but we all know activision/blizzard is the biggest money grabbing A-hole company in the gaming industry, unlike THQ, who tend to be more willing to give out freebies of some kind

Offline Hades Hound

« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2011, 11:32:06 PM »
Potential SPOILER ALERT

So I'm only on chapter 14 (what can I say, college football was on and both my teams were playing), but I'm noticing some interesting trends. If what we've heard in the rumor mill is true, and GW is planning on advancing the fluff of the universe to the point that mankind is barely hanging on, are we seeing signs of this in Space Marine? My main fluff nazi issues lay with Drogan's journals, where he describes the techpriests' desperation for a weapon to save mankind causing them to turn a blind eye to what is clearly heretical work against the machine god. My understanding is that tech priests ABHOR any form of experimentation and advancement of technology, even at the hands of the inquisition (a sore point for them, I'm sure). But we've got descriptions of curiosity on the part of the adeptus mechanicus in Drogan's workings. What say ye, fellow gamers? Potentially setting us up for the fluff future?

End SPOILER

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2011, 11:48:38 PM »
^The techpriests of mars do attempt to advance technology but are also focused on reviving old technological advancements that do not make sense to them.

part of this article on lexicanum:  http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Adeptus_Mechanicus

The Quest for Knowledge is the driving mission of the Adeptus Mechanicus. The quest consists of research and exploration, but ultimately the focus of the quest is on the recovery of a working Standard Template Construct (STC) system. The purpose of the many exploratory missions is the recovery of STC knowledge.

For thousands of years the Tech-priests have pursued all information about the STC. To the Mechanicus, it is their lost bible. Any information on the STC including the scraps of knowledge recorded on hard copy designs are sought out and kept as holy texts. No functional STC systems have ever been recovered. The STC survives only as print-outs, some of which are many thousands of years old. Although considered the most reliable, there are very few first generation print-outs, and these are regarded as the most sacred of texts.

Through the Tech-priests' efforts much has been recovered or reconstructed through comparison of copies, although preserved knowledge of the most advanced technology eludes the Adeptus Mechanicus. Most of the early colonists' needs were simple and very few would have bothered to preserve the more theoretical and advanced technological information the STC contained.2

also this is a good article elaborating on the Standard Template Constructs or STC's. All recovered STC's are in the hands the of the adeptus mechanicus.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/STC

I hope that helps.

Offline Hades Hound

« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2011, 12:49:22 AM »
Well, somewhat, but it pertains mainly to STC. I think what we're dealing with in this story line could hardly be considered to be in the same realm.

Again, SPOILER ALERT

Drogan is working on harnessing warp energy into a power source/weapon, something that definitely doesn't fall under STC restoration. He describes it as an entirely new idea, which I just don't see the Adeptus Mechanicus as being all too friendly towards. Not only that, but he's used it to power a manufactorum, which while you and I may say "hey, great idea, infinite power to help increase efficiency!" I would think the adepts would say "you're going to do what-now to our normal way of blessing and powering our entire factory? I think not..." I don't know, it just strikes me as odd the more I think about it.

Offline Mr Joe Moose

• The Green Marine
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2011, 05:20:53 PM »
Spoilery Spoil Spoil:

Perhaps the same taint of chaos that drove Drogan to experiment with the warp power has also lowered the resolve of the Tech Priests, or increased their greed for knowledge.  Drogan mentions that he opened himself to teh warp while in transit on a ship, who knows what sot of evil pyschic voodoo was clinging to him after that.

« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2011, 05:34:20 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
if you were listening you will also know that the techpriests dont know hes using it to power the manufactorum

Offline Kekron

• I will not flinch from my destiny - Eldrad Ulthran
« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2011, 12:08:38 PM »
My only major beef regarding the story line and fluff would be that if the space marines responded to an ork invasion, would they not respond with a 5 or 10 man squad rather than a Captain, sergeant, and novice? It seems that even with the scale of the mission at hand it would make sense for them to deploy a squad rather than what feels like two friends and a random additional marine.

Just a thought.

<edit> took the impact part of my post and put it in the proper thread. </edit>
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 12:14:48 PM by Kekron »
When the storm broke. Ulthwe was ready to strike like the lightning.

Offline slinky1984

• Gimme all your honey!
    • Willamette Valley Wargaming
« Reply #98 on: September 12, 2011, 12:19:30 PM »
My only major beef regarding the story line and fluff would be that if the space marines responded to an ork invasion, would they not respond with a 5 or 10 man squad rather than a Captain, sergeant, and novice? It seems that even with the scale of the mission at hand it would make sense for them to deploy a squad rather than what feels like two friends and a random additional marine.

Just a thought.

<edit> took the impact part of my post and put it in the proper thread. </edit>

You would think but the captain did act outside of any command. He grabbed a jump pack and said see you guys at the bottom. The novice guy got all wishy washy but obviously he jumped too.
Please allow me to adjust my pants... So that I may dance the good time dance

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #99 on: September 12, 2011, 05:01:12 PM »

Not really spoilers as it's in the opening cutscene, but avert your eyes if you don't want to know anything.

They did bring more than those three; their Thunderhawk gets tagged by anti-air fire on the way down and Titus and his two buddies bail out using the available jump packs while the pilot gets the dropship to safety. I'm not that far into the campaign, but I've recieved transmissions from other Ultramarines on the ground, so they are there, just not with you.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 06:20:01 PM by Khemri. »