News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Space Marine console game thread  (Read 16839 times)

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
Re: Space Marine: exclusive trailer
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2011, 12:11:05 PM »
I'll be trying again tonight. I'll let you know how I get on...

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
  • Armies: Malifaux :P
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2011, 07:23:55 AM »
I've played the demo four times now (Inquisitor 3 times, Battlements once), and I must say it is looking quite good. All can I really do is nitpick at a couple of areas.

I counted four execution moves with the Chainsword, and four (I think) with the Power Axe. That's pretty good, but seeing as the game forces you to do the executions in order to stay alive, I imagine adding one or two more animations and adding a way to not to the same one twice in a row would be a cosmetic bonus. I think this is remedied however with the final game as, after watching videos about it, I have seen more, new animations for executions.

I was a little disappointed that the Power Axe didn't actually cut through enemies like I imagine it should, and rather acted basically, a normal axe. Still cool though!

The Orks voices weren't what I was expecting. Yeah, they're pretty good, but the Nobz sound like they have a sore throat from yelling "Waaagh!" too much (and they certainly yell it a lot). Still cool though.

Occasional camera problems.

And that's about it.

Some things I like: good variety of enemies, and even more to come. I counted Gretchin, Bomb Squigs, Slugga Boyz, Shoota Boyz, Nobz, and Tankbustas (or just boys with rokkit launchas). Considering what else is in store, I think that having a range enemies will not be a problem for this game.

The attention to detail and great look of the game really enthuses me! Everything looks spot on. Just about everything sounds great. Looking forward to getting the full thing when it comes out! ;D
« Last Edit: September 5, 2011, 05:47:58 AM by Saracenar »

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2011, 07:32:05 AM »
I love the idea of bomb squigs  ;D

I'm still having problems downloading the Demo. On some other forums it is said that you have to pre order the game to be able to play the demo. This seems very strange. I assume you gyuys are not finding that?

@ FifthWindDieGermana tor:
Did you manage to Download the Demo ok?

Online Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2011, 09:01:48 AM »
Arquarian, I downloaded the demo and I haven't pre-ordered it.

Though I am still having graphic problems, but checking the steam forums it is encouraging to know that guys with better hardware are having teh same problems.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Omnichron

Re: Space Marine Game Demo on Xbox now availiable
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2011, 09:43:34 AM »
I tried it yesterday, and it seems entertaining. Although, unless it's coop and my friend's up for it, I'll probably not get it.

It seems a bit much like Gears of War, without the 'jumping to cover' bits.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2011, 10:34:06 AM »
Damnit!
Maybe I have to reload Steam or something....

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
  • Armies: Malifaux :P
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2011, 11:23:48 AM »
It is pretty easy to draw parallels to Gears. Heck, as soon as I saw the Bomb Squigs I thought of Tickers (but of course - maybe? Probably - Bomb Squigs existed before Tickers).

While Gears probably is a better game (although it can't be directly compared because there is less focus on combat - plenty of gore between them though!), its hard to tell just how good the game is from only two small segments. There is a lot in there that hasn't been seen (or made available for demo, I should probably say) yet, I imagine. Plus, it's 40k!

Offline FifthWindDieGermanator

• Marines are Toughness 3! | Termagant
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2011, 12:20:50 PM »
@ FifthWindDieGermana tor:
Did you manage to Download the Demo ok?

Aye, and like Lomandalis I didn't have to pre-order it either. When I first tried to download the demo, it wouldn't even let me click the button on the steam store page, but after going through Honor Guard to get the code, I went back (after it told me I already had it) and it finally let me select the 'Download Demo' option.
"special weapons, what special weapons, oh look skulls, BLAAAGABLAGAAAGGGGG BLOOD SKULLS BLOOD SKULLS"
-Sanctjud

I'd rather you hate me, For everything I am, Than have you love me, For something that I can't
- Five Finger Death Punch

Beware, Rules Lawyers, beware!

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2011, 01:41:13 PM »
Downloading the demo now  :)

I've heard that the game has only single player campaign on release but about a month later they are going to patch it to let you play the campaign co-op.
Multiplayer deathmatch is of course available straight away.

Offline Shas'La robo

• For the Greater GOOD!!... and the Emperor
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Tau
Re: Space Marine console game thread
« Reply #49 on: September 5, 2011, 03:20:16 AM »
Space Marine looks bloody amazing!!!

Downloading demo as I speak...err type. :P

robo
hug cover, shoot the big ones, and cripple the fast ones. if those cant be achieved, kill em all.  8)

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #50 on: September 5, 2011, 04:35:32 AM »
I FINALLY managed to download the demo.

It ROCKS!!!

I will be getting this game tomorrow!

One bit of advice. Shoot Bomb squigs. They hurt Oouch!  :o

Online Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #51 on: September 5, 2011, 09:17:19 AM »
Word of advice to anyone planning to play this on computer.  If you haven't already, go out and buy yourself a top of the line video card as otherwise you won't be able to play this.  Apparently having a 1.5 year old card is not adequate enough to play this cleanly.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline High Grandmaster smithmyster666 of the Grey Knights

• Strike from the skies brothers!!!
« Reply #52 on: September 5, 2011, 09:17:41 AM »
Co op will be available 30 days after release and is basically the last stand from dow2, but with a few minor changes
From the skies we rain, as the emperors fist we strike against our foes, until all blood be it alien, heretic or mutant is spilled. we will not rest until the galaxy is cleansed free of these monstrosities and we hold these worlds in the name of humanity and its immortal emperor.

Offline Rems

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #53 on: September 5, 2011, 09:47:55 AM »
I had a big Cheshire grin the whole time i played the demo. It looked, felt and sounded so right. I am looking forward to the multipalyer with the armour customisation so much.

I was however unable to get the demo to work on my computer. In installed fine and i can start the game and start the missions but it crashes as soon as i get to a cutscene, ie with the servo skull and getting the jump pack (which is at the very beginning of both missions sadly).  It seems to be a video card issue.

One nit picky complaint i do have is that i think it's strange playing as a Captain. Surely he should be directing his company and the overall war effor, not getting bogged down, slogging through solo missions. Captains are supposed to be strategists as well as warriors after all. I would have thoguht it would make more sense playing as say a veteran marine from his command squad. 

« Reply #54 on: September 5, 2011, 12:52:50 PM »
If there are few marines then a captain will be at the front doing the heavy lifting, I'm sure it will be explained in the games story
From the skies we rain, as the emperors fist we strike against our foes, until all blood be it alien, heretic or mutant is spilled. we will not rest until the galaxy is cleansed free of these monstrosities and we hold these worlds in the name of humanity and its immortal emperor.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #55 on: September 5, 2011, 05:44:14 PM »
Er... why are you bothering to pick apart he game story? Just play the frickin' awesome game!  :D :D :D

« Reply #56 on: September 6, 2011, 04:31:20 PM »
ah the amazing moment when you wake up, check your emails, and realise that space marine is en route :)

Offline DeadDuck1015

• Armies: Imperial Guard, Vampire Counts
« Reply #57 on: September 6, 2011, 10:47:33 PM »
My friends have been telling me about it all day. And I can't get it until friday. Can't wait.
"Our end is come, but what an end! We have been given the most precious gift: a chance to roar our defiance into the foe that overwhelms us with their numbers. Let the Emperor Himself hear our final battle cry! Forward, warriors of the Guard, and die like the heroes you are!"

Offline Cortez

« Reply #58 on: September 7, 2011, 01:26:54 AM »
Just over 24 hours before I try to get my copy. Luckily it doesn't have as big a hype as something like Battlefield or CoD, so I shouldn't be too hard pressed to get a copy.
Quote from: arah
first thing you dont need to mob opponents as marines. YOU ARE SPACE MARINES DAMNIT MOBBING IS FOR OKRS!!!
Quote from: Starrakatt of the Chortling Chainsaw
Self proclaimed kings - that's three now: Seer Fox, Thalandir, Shloeb... Self proclaimed gods are bigger, meaner and mightier.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #59 on: September 7, 2011, 04:52:19 AM »
Is anyone downloading it through Steam?

If so where the fricking hell is it!???!