News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: dead rising; Update 23/5/12 Rotting Terminators  (Read 12730 times)

Offline Explosivo111

• So what if my marines like gentle spanking?
Re: dead rising; Now with RED paint!
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 06:05:04 PM »
is it wrong tht i get excited when i see an update for this thread :P

have u tried making ur own wash with a different brown and lots of water...might not have the green pigment issue?

Offline Daboarder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 11:37:32 PM »
I aim to please mate.

I’d like to thank you guys for your advice on how to overcome the pigment issue and I tried out the ones that I could readily do. I think I’ve found a method that suits my painting style and time constraints to my liking.

It’s going to be a couple of watered down washes of devlan mud instead of a thick one, this lets the colouring run into the gaps without covering the plates too badly. After that the red is touched up with a very very faint drybrush. Here are the results and I’m quite happy with them.

The first 2 photo’s are a comparison to how It looks before and after the wash

This next photo shows the pustules with a watered down red wash, they will be getting another one of these and then a light bleached bone brush.

And this is a comparison shot between this red and my BA successor’s red.

Now I would like to share some ideas with you guys about how this army will progress. After I have completed the lord, terminators and my 2 squads of CSM’s I will be purchasing a box of chaos terminators to convert into obliterators (I have some really strong Ideas about these) and a SM venerable dreadnought to “improve”. With that in mind I felt like sharing what I think will be the list I will ultimately be going with.

HQ:
High plague priest Yersinia: Typhus
Total:225pts
Elites:
6xTerminators
Icon of nurgle
Champion
Combi-flamer
Heavy flamer
Chain fist
2xpowerfists
5xCombi-meltas
Total: 290pts
Dreadnought
Plasma cannon
Heavy flamer
Total: 110pts
Dreadnought
Plasma cannon
Heavy flamer
Total: 110pts

Troops:
10x chaos marines
Champion
Icon of nurgle
Power fist
plasma gun
Total: 270
10x chaos marines
Champion
Icon of nurgle
Power fist
plasma gun
Total: 270
Heavy support:
3x Obliterators:  225pts

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:38:49 PM by Daboarder »

Offline Explosivo111

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 03:10:43 AM »
is the list WIP?
you need 2 get some tanks in there, chaos rhinos for ur chaos space marines will mean they have more mobility and can get into combat quicker, where they rule.
Im not so clued up on chaos tho so thts really all i can say :)

Offline Daboarder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 11:22:21 PM »
Hi guys another day another update. First I would like to take the time to answer the questions you guys have asked concerning this project.
Unfortunately I can’t really offer you guys a list of parts as most of the interesting things are from my bits box which have been sitting in there for ages, sometimes as long as ten years.
As for the list I will be using the chaos marine codex for this army as I want it to be fundamentally different to my other BA army and it is a Dornian heresy army after all. Though I’m still unsure of whether to take 3 squads of 7 plague marines as my core or instead taking 2 squads of 10 marines with a mark of nurgle and rhino’s. I’m leaning towards using the 3 squads of 7 because it would fit the theme very strongly.
A couple of you guys have also questioned why I chose nurgle, I know it doesn’t seem like something that would happen I thought about playing up the Undead side of the vampire mythos and once I had that idea I felt that is was too good to pass on. This theme will become more evident once I get to painting some flesh on my marines as it is going to be rotting and dead.
Anyway onto the update, news on the chaos lord is that I was able to get the carrion wings today and so he should be finished within the next 2 days and painted within 2 more, updates will probably follow his progress more than anything else. I’m hoping to finish both the lord and the terminators this week and then move onto the regular chaos marines next week as progress should speed up due to all materials now being accounted for.
Here is something I threw together this weekend based upon a concept I developed. It was practically a given that this force would end up including at least one dreadnought in the list, after all the dreadnought is the epitome of Heavy infantry. I know the Chaos ones are sub-par rules wise but honestly if he decides every so often to nuke my own unit, well it all adds to the fun. This guy was originally going to be built from one of the new Space marine venerable dreadnoughts but I was unable to afford it and so decided to cannibalize one of my as yet unused BA ones instead. The arms will be pinned in such a way as to allow me to equip him in any way I want.
While I would love to say that the coffin idea is completely my own I have to give a shout out to Luke yates from Australia and his always astounding Plague marines, particularly the one where his army was used in a CoD battle report against tau. Originally I had intended to leave the facing off the venerable and use the bare chassis but with that idea out the window I decided to use an open coffin style and again play upon the undead aspect of vampires.

As for the weapons I wanted to increase the mutation and demonic influence on this model further than the Terminators, the Obliterators will again be even more mutated and warped.

This is the pre nurgleisation dread.

This photo shows the banner for this dreadnought along with the heavy flamer and one of the pre-construction alternate weapon load outs.

Here is a close up of the coffin. I wanted to go for a face full of expression and chose a screaming space marine head because I love the idea of an insane space marine controlling a deadly war machine. I also had the idea that if the marine inside the dread was ever killed the Chaos marines would just rip him unceremoniously from inside the coffin and promptly replace him.

So what do you guys think?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 12:25:18 AM by Daboarder »

Offline Explosivo111

Re: dead rising; DREADNOUGHT!
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 05:36:19 AM »
loving the dreadnaught
Using Tyranid parts for chaos mutations usually looks cheesy in my opinion but they way youve done it looks brilliant.

could do with some really extensive battle scaring (especially if your army only replace the driver :P)

Fantastic modeling tho, cant wait to see the pained version.

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2010, 05:41:54 AM »
I have a couple of concerns with the Dreadnought.

First, that's a Dark Angel symbol, rather than a Blood Angel one, as I'm sure you're aware. It looks a little odd.

Second, something needs to be done about the tryanid spores on the base. The one he is stepping on doesn't look natural. I see you wanted to do something with the pose, but surely the weight of the Dreadnought would crush the spores, even a little bit. At the moment, the one he's standing on has retained its shape. Can you not remove it and file it, before stacking it back with greenstuff to make a uniform height? Maybe oozing over the foot a bit?

Offline Daboarder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 05:53:57 AM »
Yeah it needs ALOT of green stuffing and detailing before its painted to chaos it up and make it look way less Nid. the plan was initailly to sculpt Bubles/big pustules ontop of the base peices to make them look like oozing chaos vents of some sort. the stepped on one was then going to get a "poped" one greenstuffed to be oozing down the peice. If this doesn't work then I will of course change the base to something more approriate.

As for the DA symbol I was going to go with the personal heraldry explanation but you raise a good point. Perhaps removing teh sword and sculting a puss sack inplace of the blood drop would be a good idea.

Offline Impyrocker

• Ripper
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 10:13:41 PM »
Love the top half of the dreadnought... the bottom, though, looks a bit plain. What do you plan to do down there?

Offline Daboarder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 08:52:16 PM »

Hey guys here are the final WIP pictures of the lord. The next time you see him he will be fully painted. I must say that this is the first time in ages that I have actually been intimidated by the thought of painting a model, I find this even more interesting when I consider that it is a model I created myself. As for scheme I am still a little unsure whether to paint him with the bone armour or the red armour, there are benefits and drawbacks to both decisions and I will have to think carefully about the overall scheme before deciding.
About halfway through attaching the wings I was really worried that they wouldn’t fit really well, I ended up having to trim the trophy racks a little but after some wing reconstruction I’m very pleased with the results.

Here are some close ups of the Joints.

I’m considering making a painted picture of this shot my profile picture, its nice and menacing.

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
  • jo. Ph34r my l33t skillz. B4x4^2!
    • Alliben's Homepage
Re: dead rising; Final lord WIP
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 08:10:40 AM »
That lord looks fantastic. You used some great bits and really put it together well. I'm looking forward to seeing this painted. Keep it up!

Offline Daboarder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: dead rising; Lord's Done!
« Reply #30 on: June 8, 2010, 10:10:56 AM »
Hey guys I’m back.
So basically it has taken me two weeks instead of two days to finish my lord and I must say that unfortunately the rest of the army is going on hold for the next three weeks due to university exams sorry guys.

However there is good news, this army is going all out beyond the original 1500pt list! I’ve decided I’m going to raid my bits box for the parts that were never really likely to be used in a BA army but I had picked up for a number of reasons. What these bits will give me is.....
Another squad of 7-6 terminators converted from AoBR termies, another (hopefully) 2 squads of 7 plague marines based on AoBR tac marines, and finally a 2-3 squads of 7 chosen/havocs OR 2-3 squads of 7 raptors, these will be done from the rather numerous DA minis I have that will be converted into plague monk style Space Marines. Oh and eventually I will be converting an ascended version of my lord as a daemon prince.

Without further ado I present to you
Tyranicus Trepes: lord of the Carrion.

[

Believe it or not the hardest part of this mini to paint was getting the damn brush into the nooks and crannies on the base.

Overall I am VERY pleased with how he has turned out, so what do you guys think was this a success?
« Last Edit: June 8, 2010, 10:34:03 AM by Daboarder »

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
Re: dead rising; Lords DONE!
« Reply #31 on: June 8, 2010, 10:36:59 AM »
i'l admit that as teh modelling was progressing i was starting to think that there was too much going on with it, but seeing the final thing painted does it wonders, i really like it and think you should be very proud of the model!

Offline Daboarder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #32 on: June 8, 2010, 10:44:20 AM »
Cheers mate I am pleased.

There is definately alot going on in this model but I think the use of similar coulours with different washes and highlights helps it stop looking cluttered and instead makes it look indepth, essentialy I was trying to do a 3d narrative minature that tells a story and has interesting parts where ever you look, one of the best examples is the puss sacks, they are very hard to see them but when you do its is like....wow thats really cool wonder how they got there.

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #33 on: June 8, 2010, 11:35:59 AM »
It looks great! And I have to give you bonus points for using Fear of the Dark as a photo-stand :D

2nd place - 40kO painting competition expert category April 2005
1st Place - 40kO converting competition beginner category June 2005

Offline Explosivo111

« Reply #34 on: June 8, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
amazing paint job mate :)
really happy to finally see this done, i was worrying you had abbandoned it :P

cant wait to see more

also...good music choice....

Offline Semaj_14

• "I don't need Luck, I have Flamers!"
« Reply #35 on: June 8, 2010, 07:40:53 PM »
Nothing screams Chaos Blood angles like that model, Great job!
I do belive you about the nooks though. -_-' that kind of stuff can be a pain.
"Through the Fires of battle Unto the Anvil of war!"

"When In doubt Just add More Melta!"

Offline Daboarder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 01:09:19 AM »
fear not explosivo this project is only goin g to get bigger. might even add my half finished baneblade, though I was going to use that for my "generic" traitor guard that I will use for these guys and my nids.
Hey guys here’s the bits list for the lord some of you have asked for.
Bits list for lord:
Head: DA veteran
Shield: assault terminators
Daemon weapon: tyranid MC sprue
Body+Legs: chaos terminator lord
Shoulder pads: chaos terminator lord
Shield spike: nurgle specific head from CSM command
Shield cover: Chaos undivided standard CSM
Bones: ghouls
Bodies: CSM command nurgle standard
Bloodletter skulls
Various skulls and spikes from CSM standards, sprues and pieces
Wings: tomb kings carrion
Also here are the pictures of my Pre-green stuff sorcerer the cloak and stuff came from another lord that I had bought along with Abbadon to modernize him after giving it alot of thought I decided to butcher it for parts because it’s not something that I would field and if I want it as a display piece I can always do the conversion again.

Offline Semaj_14

• "I don't need Luck, I have Flamers!"
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2010, 10:21:21 PM »
hmm..... I think that the eye is too sons of horousey or perhaps too magnus the redish.
Looks badd ass though. I especially like the helmets on the bace
"Through the Fires of battle Unto the Anvil of war!"

"When In doubt Just add More Melta!"

Offline Daboarder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #38 on: July 8, 2010, 07:38:34 PM »
Hey guys I’m back!
One thing first, I know you guys want more painted miniatures but that is going to wait a bit as first I want to get my 1500pts sculpted so I can start playing but once that done then I will be painting them before I go on and do more sculpting.

So here is my first 3 obliterators, I had a lot of trouble getting the concept for these guys. At first I was going to mount the weapons on the arms but they kept looking just like terminators carrying heavy weapons, something I most definitely did NOT want.

Then I had a brilliant idea while looking through the old, old chaos codex. Why not mount the guns on the torso like the old obliterator models? So that’s what I did, then I decided that the techno virus wasn’t very nurglely and so I decided to go for more “organic” weapons and swapped to the tyranid one’s. However I would like to point out to those who would also like to convert their own obliterators, using mechanical imperial weapons on the torso still looks REALLY good it’s just not what I was after. The sculpting was mostly to make the marines look like they were possessed and I think it went alright.

On to the pictures.

« Last Edit: July 8, 2010, 07:40:05 PM by Daboarder »

Offline neverXmore

• I *LOVE* 40k Online! I really do.
Re: dead rising; Obliterators!
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
Holy freaking awesome batman! Personally I think these are the coolest models you've done so far, and are also the coolest obliterator converstions I've ever seen. I'm definately stealing the idea if I ever convert up some Obliterators myself.

This whole project is awesome too. You're making great use of plastics and greenstuff to get highly detailed models, which makes me very happy as it's a sign that metal models are on their way out ...

I have one question - how did you do the hands for the Obliterator with the helmet with two tusks? The chainsaw hands. They look brilliant.

So sad but true.
I don't want to seem rude but if I wanted to take part in talking about why the eldar codex needs to be better I'd read pretty much any thread in the Eldar forum.