News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Diplomacy Game Thread:Winter 1912. Franco-Anglo Victory!  (Read 30235 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Diplomacy Game Thread:Winter 1911, Builds/Disbands due ASAP!
« Reply #140 on: December 3, 2009, 08:01:07 PM »
Another exciting year. Poor Italy is on his last legs by the look of things. France is one depot away from victory, England is only two away.

Fall Orders

England: A Armenia - Ankara (*Fails*).
England: A Bulgaria - Constantinople.
England: F Denmark Hold.
England: F Irish Sea Convoys A Wales - North Africa.
England: A London - Wales.
England: F Mid-Atlantic Ocean Convoys A Wales - North Africa.
England: A North Africa - Tunis.
England: A Rumania Hold.
England: A Sevastopol - Armenia (*Fails*).
England: F Sweden Hold.
England: A Syria Supports A Tunis - Smyrna.
England: A Tunis - Smyrna.
England: F Tyrrhenian Sea Hold.
England: A Ukraine - Sevastopol (*Fails*).
England: A Wales - North Africa.

France: F Aegean Sea Supports A Bulgaria - Constantinople.
France: A Albania Hold.
France: A Brest Hold.
France: F Eastern Mediterranean Convoys A Tunis - Smyrna.
France: A Gascony Hold.
France: A Greece Hold.
France: F Ionian Sea Convoys A Tunis - Smyrna.
France: A Kiel Hold.
France: A Marseilles Hold.
France: A Naples Hold.
France: A Portugal Hold.
France: A Rome Hold.
France: A Ruhr Hold.
France: A Serbia Hold.
France: F Spain(sc) Hold.
France: A Tyrolia Hold.

Italy: F Ankara Supports F Constantinople (*Cut*).
Italy: F Constantinople Hold (*Dislodged*).
Italy: F Smyrna - Eastern Mediterranean (*Disbanded*).

Fall orders map.

Retreats
The following units were dislodged:

Italian F Constantinople can retreat to Black Sea.

So, I took the liberty of retreating the fleet to the Black Sea.

There it goes.

Winter Map

England16 Supply centers,15 Units:Builds 1 unit.
France17 Supply centers,16 Units:Builds 1 units.
Italy 1 Supply centers,2 Units:Removes 2 unit.

Please get your adjustment orders in within two days from now. I'll update once they are all in, ASAP is best.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
Diplomacy Game Thread:Spring 1912, Orders due Monday!
« Reply #141 on: December 4, 2009, 08:32:35 AM »
Winter Orders

England Builds a fleet in Edi, France builds an army in Par, Italy disbands Army Ank.

Spring Map.

Onto a brand new year, this has been one long epic war. Orders due Monday.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

• Ancient
Re: Diplomacy Game Thread:Fall 1912, Orders due Wednesday!
« Reply #142 on: December 7, 2009, 08:31:25 AM »
Righto, the dramatic turn that was the spring of 1912.

England: A Armenia Supports A Smyrna - Ankara.
England: A Constantinople Supports A Rumania - Bulgaria.
England: F Denmark Hold.
England: F Irish Sea Hold.
England: F Mid-Atlantic Ocean, hold.
England: A North Africa Hold.
England: A Rumania - Bulgaria.
England: A Sevastopol Supports A Ukraine - Rumania.
England: A Smyrna - Ankara.
England: F Sweden Hold.
England: A Syria - Smyrna.
England: A Tunis Hold.
England: F Tyrrhenian Sea Hold.
England: A Ukraine - Rumania.
England: A Wales Hold.

France: F Aegean Sea Hold.
France: A Albania Hold.
France: A Brest Hold.
France: F Eastern Mediterranean Hold.
France: A Gascony Hold.
France: A Greece Hold.
France: F Ionian Sea Hold.
France: A Kiel Hold.
France: A Marseilles Hold.
France: A Naples Hold.
France: A Portugal Hold.
France: A Rome Hold.
France: A Ruhr Hold.
France: A Serbia Hold.
France: F Spain(sc) Hold.
France: A Tyrolia, hold.

Italy: F Black Sea - Rumania (*Fails*).

So much activity, I could barely keep up.

Orders map.

Fall Map.

So, Essentially Italys fate at this point is decided. Only due to technicality he gets to float around in the black sea a little longer. I can imagine that all the players could essentially do nothing but hold as their orders in the fall and it'd be the same effect as if they did something. Unless England and France decide to start punching each other in the face.

But, there has to be a Fall to end the year, thus Orders due on Wednesday. I'll update earlier if all are in before hand. Of everyone can just not hand in orders and I feel we'll get the same effect lol.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Toad_Raider

• Warrior | Honk If You Like Zombies | Bow Ties Are Never Cool
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Zombies are people too!
Re: Diplomacy Game Thread:Spring 1912, Orders due Monday!
« Reply #143 on: December 7, 2009, 09:20:08 AM »
I'm good for an all hold, two way draw between Starky and myself.  I can only assume he feels the same way...

So, all hold.
...a spiffified whizz-bang unit of Much Destruction that'll get whored like crazy in WD and kill a million Monoliths in the release batrep
Lomendil's pick for the new DE dex. Not quite, but we have a 'dex now!

Well played, TW.  By well played, I of course mean god damn your traitorous ways.

Do love Diplomacy!

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
Re: Diplomacy Game Thread:Spring 1912, Orders due Monday!
« Reply #144 on: December 7, 2009, 10:40:08 AM »
Indeed, Toady and I are boring people and have convened to a Draw, so all Hold.

Tonoght, we shall dine of pizzas!

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

• Ancient
Re: Diplomacy Game Thread:Winter 1912. Franco-Anglo Victory!
« Reply #145 on: December 7, 2009, 11:17:12 AM »
Alright then, Fall is over. Thank you

Fall Orders.

England
All Hold

France
All Hold

Italy
Blacksea->Bulgaria Attack fails.

Winter Map.

England17 Supply centers,16 Units:Builds 0 unit.
France17 Supply centers,17 Units:Builds 0 units.
Italy 0 Supply centers,1 Units:Removes 1 unit.

Italy removes his last unit. Thank you Tyranid_Wannabe, for your participation in this game.

Now, according to the points system that I have decided to put into effect the following points are given out.

IainC Turkey- Participation 1pt.
Razyus Russia- Participation 1pt. Survival to 1905, 1pt.
Tyranid_Wannabe Italy-Survival to 1905, 1pt. Participation 1pt.
Toad_Raider France- Controls at least 1 depot at game end, 1pt. Controls 17 Depots 17pts. Survival to 1905, 1pt. Second place 3pts. Participation 1pt.
Starrakatt England-Controls at least 1 depot at game end, 1pt. Controls 17 Depots 17pts. Survival to 1905, 1pt. Second place 3pts. Participation 1pt.
azore24 Austria-Hungary-Participation 1pt, Survival to 1905, 1pt.
FarseerTelemnar Germany-Participation 1pt.

Totals then are
England-23pts
France-23pts
Italy-2pts
Austria-2pts
Russia-2pts
Turkey-1pt
Germany-1pt

Total=54

Then points/100 is as follows (rounded the extra points to the top players). This will be updated into the Scoring thread.

England-43pts
France-43pts
Italy-4pts
Austria-3pts
Russia-3pts
Turkey-2pts
Germany-2pts

This thread, can now be allowed for discussion on the game. I will give my thoughts later, I have to take care of some other things first.

But I want to thank all of you for an awesome game. All of you did great and were all punctual with your order submissions which made the game a lot less of a headache for me. It would be a pleasure to GM another game with you fine lot.  Quite a lot of twists and turns, loads of fun. I hope that those who were eliminated kept an eye on the game as it progressed as well.

So, right. I leave the floor open for the players and any observers who want to say a word on the game as well. Anyone is welcome to have their say, even if they didn't play.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Mon'Tau

• Corporal Max McPherson - dual shotguns and glory | Meat Hater Magnet
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Hello Ground. Will you be my friend?
« Reply #146 on: December 7, 2009, 04:24:45 PM »
This was the first game of diplomacy I'd ever seen, and it impressed me. I followed it at the start, missed a big chunk, then saw the end. It was fun just to watch, I hope to join a game sometime.

Congrats to the English and French.
The Diplomacy League - give it a look.

Well played. Drybrushing is the future *twitch*
beslubber you sheepz!  :P

You know you play too much Diplomacy when you have more PM's than forum posts.

Offline Toad_Raider

• Warrior | Honk If You Like Zombies | Bow Ties Are Never Cool
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Zombies are people too!
« Reply #147 on: December 7, 2009, 06:04:29 PM »
I'd just like to congratulate everyone on a top game.  Killersquid, thanks so much for organizing, and all the participants, for getting their moves in on time and fighting the good fight.

Tyranid_Wannabe deserves a special mention for fighting to the bitter end I think - well played sir.

Last but not least, Starky: you were a loyal ally and excellent partner in this game, to the point where I didn't even backstab.  Only considered it two or three times  :P.  Good game mate.

I'll be sure to participate in the next, and I think I'll run one also.

*Edit*

Minor grammatical error.  Uncool.
« Last Edit: December 7, 2009, 06:44:16 PM by Toad_Raider »
...a spiffified whizz-bang unit of Much Destruction that'll get whored like crazy in WD and kill a million Monoliths in the release batrep
Lomendil's pick for the new DE dex. Not quite, but we have a 'dex now!

Well played, TW.  By well played, I of course mean god damn your traitorous ways.

Do love Diplomacy!

• Ancient
« Reply #148 on: December 7, 2009, 06:15:33 PM »
Well, I should give my two cents about the game.

Beginning game.
I was not expecting how things would roll. The Whole Russian comback in the first few years was pretty shocking. It was awesome to see the attacker have the tide turned on him. IainC could have become a very powerful southern power if his attack was allowed to continue. I culd have seen the game turn out much diffrently if Austria or Italy allied with Turkey durring the beginning and middle game.

Razyus recovered very well from a first year mishap with the St.Petersburg fleet's failed move to Sweden. Shame to see his power fluctuate all game.

The German elimination was unfortunately easy to see coming after the first couple of years. FarseerTelemnar didn't have much in the way of an ally to threaten either England or Frances flanks, which allowed him to be easy picking.

Middle Game.

What most shocked me about the middle game, is that the southern powers kept infighting while the Ango-Franco alliance kept growing momentum and stability. The three remaining southern powers could have turned the tides on the north, at least stalemate them, if not push them back entirely. The fact that Italy, Austria and Russia kept beating up eachother, made the end of the game obvious years in advance.

End Game

Generally, I was expecting that the Toadie and Starky would keep up their alliance throughout. I was hoping to see the two battle it out, but it'd be a battle that would have no end. I would not be able to predict which would be in a better situation in the battle between the two superpowers, but I feel that England's Isolated nature would give him a defencive advantage.

This was the first game of diplomacy I'd ever seen, and it impressed me. I followed it at the start, missed a big chunk, then saw the end. It was fun just to watch, I hope to join a game sometime.

Congrats to the English and French.

Glad you enjoyed the game. Feel free to join the next one!

I think I'll start a new game. We could have two going at once if there is enough interest. Then both Toadie and I can both play lol.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #149 on: December 7, 2009, 06:52:43 PM »
I will throw in my change as well.

Overall strategy was to ally with Italy from the start, initially to Lepanto into Turkey (Get an Italian army on their land via convoys).  That didn't go as well as I might have liked, but the goal was accomplished eventually.  I do appologise to IainC for stabbing him, but I felt he was the greater threat to me in the early game.

The decision to attack Russia was made based on the theory (flawed as it was) that Italy was a solid ally.  If he had not stabbed me, I was certain that I could have given up one Russian territory at most and we would not have lost my home territories in the following year.  My main reason for dealing with Russia in that mannor was that he was sending troops South, against my council, away from the British front.

I do have to say, I was completely taken in by Frances false stab on England and congratulate you on that move.

Anyone else feel like sharing their inner workings?

Azore of Germany France Russia Austria Ath-Ron
Unsophisticated players might think that the Letter of the rules is more important than the Spirit - but the Letter isn't liable to sneak up behind you with an axe if you abuse it.
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline Tyranid_Wannabe

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Es ist ein schönes Schiff
« Reply #150 on: December 7, 2009, 09:43:17 PM »
Well like squiddy said the three southern powers needed to unite against the two. Sadly no one else was interested. Russia was fine letting england further and further into his territories, Austria wanted to get rid of Russia and with the debacle I kinda went bugger it and aligned myself with the devils if only to put me last on the menu. Although I had hoped perhaps I could turn one against the other - I didn't expect it to work.

Must give my congratulations to Toadie though, even though I sorta offered him the win (at the start of their offensive against me) of 18 bases (me retreating from mine till I had just 2 left - abeit surviving) which could have been done in a couple of movements. Sadly he was too honourable or didn't trust me
Heed my wisdom, ignore my ignorance

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #151 on: December 7, 2009, 10:32:14 PM »
Thanks all for a great game, and especially Squiddy for putting up with us all, not that easu a task I would surmise. :P

As far as strategies goes, I (and Toadie I think) tried to honey Russia and Germany to eat each other while hinting at possible alliance and non-agression treaties - I was even considering some alliance with Russia dor a while but the early mess up with the Fleet move in Sweden permited me to ignore him as a non-threat for a good while, then it was too late...

Also, I'd like to thank Toadie for actually NOT stabbing me, as I did a couple of mistake where he could have very effectively stabbed me (I mre or less expected it to be honest, up  until the end...) but he chose to stay faithful on our alliance, cuddos for that mate. :)

As for new games, count me in!

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline IainC

• Mad prophet of the Whalepocalypse
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Not Safe For Work
    • Antipwn
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #152 on: December 8, 2009, 07:29:04 AM »
I wasn't the first to die but my demise was pretty inevitable from the moment the big anti-Turkish coalition was unveiled. I thought I was fighting against the Russians with help from Austria and non-interference at worst from Italy. When Italy and Austria started fighting I thought I was pretty safe to build up and then it all went south all of a sudden. There was no way that any of the three were going to let me live when it was obvious that my death was guaranteed in a couple of turns so there was no real opportunity for diplomacy on my part. I actually had a feeling that Austria was going to betray me in the turn that it happened, I just wasn't expecting the Italians and Russians to pile on as well.

Was fun though.
World's first ever Dark Eldar player... Don't be hatin' now.

My wargaming and painting blog

My games industry blog

• Ancient
« Reply #153 on: December 9, 2009, 02:39:01 PM »
I just wasn't expecting the Italians and Russians to pile on as well.

Diplomacy players are like Vultures. Always eager to feed off the weaker players.  ;)
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Mon'Tau

• Corporal Max McPherson - dual shotguns and glory | Meat Hater Magnet
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Hello Ground. Will you be my friend?
« Reply #154 on: December 10, 2009, 07:21:05 PM »
On a side note, I want to congratulate Killersquid for running such an amazing game, and the players for keeping the orders flowing and the game going. I just looked at some of the older games, and while some familiar names from both this and the present game popped up again and again, some other totally torpedoed their games. The lack of orders, the missing GM, they added up to no Diplomacy, and no fun for anyone. So congrats to Killersquid for running this game so well, and the players for keeping it going. May our present game be the same.
The Diplomacy League - give it a look.

Well played. Drybrushing is the future *twitch*
beslubber you sheepz!  :P

You know you play too much Diplomacy when you have more PM's than forum posts.

• Ancient
« Reply #155 on: December 13, 2009, 11:49:30 PM »
I appreciate that, thanks. I also am confident that this game will be FABULOUS!
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria