News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Scratch Built - Slaaneshi Soul Grinder  (Read 82050 times)

Offline CobraCommander

Re: Scratch Built - Slaaneshi Soul Grinder
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2009, 04:43:42 AM »
I'm... Going to keep track of this thread... For future ah... reference... In concerns to... Yeah...*ahem*

;)

Great thread, I'm really blown away by what you've done. This kind of makes me want to start Daemons... But I have too much on my plate already. But this definatly gives me some ideas. Some time in the future, I may try and contact you to get/bounce ideas off you.

COOOBBBRRRAAA!!!
W/L/D for 5th Edition
Splinter Fleet Aquaticus: 0/0/2 - 2.5k total pts
Iron Warriors: 7/1/2 - 4k total pts
W/L/D for 8th Edition
Beastmen: 0/5/2 - 3k total pts

Offline Sersi

• Fear the cute ones!
    • Sinister Miniatures
« Reply #41 on: September 9, 2009, 08:33:21 AM »
Updates:

Daemon Princesses:

I don't know about putting hair on this one, so I'll need feed back.

This one has flowing hair, and will have hair ornaments when done.  She's also getting a new less pouty face, or maybe having no nose or mouth is creeper?

Yeah for Tentacles!

Soul Grinder # 1

Okay here's sculpted leg in the mold box.  I should have cast tomorrow.

Here are two photo composites of what she looks like with the sculpted legs.

Soul Grinder #2

Here the final mechanical leg base for the pregnant grinder

Here's the start of the build up.

Grinder #3

For grinder #3 I decided to re-purpose this guy. He's going to be a huge KOS style daemon counts as.

More Later!

Offline Rudkin

• Fio'ui Kais
  • Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #42 on: September 9, 2009, 11:43:33 PM »
PRINCESSES:

For the first princess, the horns are so large that I think adding hair might be good to balance it out a bit.

I presume, for the second one, that you'll be doing a bit more work on the underside of the hair? Aside from that, I like it. It definately needs a mouth added back on, so don't neglect that detail!

The third (tentacled) one looks good, although the the combination of the tongue and position of the model makes me think that she is going to (or is) vomit(ting). I mean no disrespect; it's good, but perhaps if you could make the face a bit more snarly it might counteract that impression. Also, there is a blob (for a lack of a better word) on the top left of her head that is either a horn or an incomplete tentacle; the lack of a second horn-like object inclines me to think that it is a short tentacle that needs lengthening, although giving that princess two small swept-back horns might not be too bad a look.

~~~~~~
SOUL GRINDERS:

Regarding the leg, it is a nice organic take on the Defiler legs. It certainly looks like it'll work well for you.

The pregnant 'grinder seems a bit out of place with the rest of your force, I'm afraid. Overall you have a very low-tech (almost no-tech) force, and she's... well, she's all-tech. I'm sure it'll look good in the end, but I'm not convinced that it will fit style-wise with the rest of the army.

And as for the counts-as... it'll be interesting to see how it progresses. Please keep us posted with updates and WIP shots!

Offline Sersi

• Fear the cute ones!
    • Sinister Miniatures
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2009, 06:59:34 AM »
Thanks for the Rudkin!

Soul Grinder #3

Here's more progress on the KOS - grinder stand in.  He's being based off this image:

I'm using super sculpey to quickly build up the anatomy of the model.  Once baked I'll be skinning it with Aves apoxy putty and detailing it.

Soul Grinder #1

Worked on the pregnant SG as well.  I'm  baking the shoulders and ribcage at the moment so that I can drill the holes for the arms, and start work on them.  I also started work on the mechanical legs for her mobile.  The black lines on the model are there to indicate the locations of the various muscle groups. 

Soul Grinder #2

The casting of the legs for the 6-legged SG.  I'll be working on the body1 and head to day.  She's going quickly, though so updates on her this evening.   

Daemon Princess:

I didn't get much feedback regarding the heads or hair on them.  But I'd like some suggestions on adding some nice final details to them.  I want them to look sexy rather than gribbly.  But, looking at the GW greater daemons, they seem a little under detailed at the moment. 

Anyway I have to get ready for work.  Happy Friday!

Offline Sersi

• Fear the cute ones!
    • Sinister Miniatures
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2009, 07:25:15 AM »
PRINCESSES:

For the first princess, the horns are so large that I think adding hair might be good to balance it out a bit.

I presume, for the second one, that you'll be doing a bit more work on the underside of the hair? Aside from that, I like it. It definately needs a mouth added back on, so don't neglect that detail!

The third (tentacled) one looks good, although the the combination of the tongue and position of the model makes me think that she is going to (or is) vomit(ting). I mean no disrespect; it's good, but perhaps if you could make the face a bit more snarly it might counteract that impression. Also, there is a blob (for a lack of a better word) on the top left of her head that is either a horn or an incomplete tentacle; the lack of a second horn-like object inclines me to think that it is a short tentacle that needs lengthening, although giving that princess two small swept-back horns might not be too bad a look.

Thanks for the feed back.  I'm thinking of adding either a short pixie style hair cut to DP#1 or a pony tail with barrettes made fro eldar skulls.  She'll be getting a loincloth to since her bare nether region looks a little plain.

For the DP#2 your right I did miss the under side of the hair, son of a... ;D  Yeah, she'll be getting a face, maybe a smirk?  I'll sketch up some ideas.

FOr DP#3 I'll be dropping the tounge as it seems to have gone over like a lead balloon.  It was just a thought anyway.  Thanks for the snarling Idea, I will definitely be using it for her.   The horn-like thing...is in fact a horn.  I intended her to look like a giant Diaz-style daemonette.  So that's why she has a single horn.  Way back in the "Slave to Darkness" days an Aspiring champion of Slaanesh could received the "gift" of having the face of either a: daemonette, fiend, or a KOS.  I've tried to incorporate that here.  The DP#1 for instance has a head similar to the FW KOS.

~~~~~~
SOUL GRINDERS:

Regarding the leg, it is a nice organic take on the Defiler legs. It certainly looks like it'll work well for you.

The pregnant 'grinder seems a bit out of place with the rest of your force, I'm afraid. Overall you have a very low-tech (almost no-tech) force, and she's... well, she's all-tech. I'm sure it'll look good in the end, but I'm not convinced that it will fit style-wise with the rest of the army.

And as for the counts-as... it'll be interesting to see how it progresses. Please keep us posted with updates and WIP shots!

I think you right on the pregnant grinder being to mechanical.  As I've been sculpting it I've been leaning more and more to an organic version of the model.  The walker Dais may be the only mechanical part, ultimately.

I finished casting up the legs on the second SG.  So, she's moving along fast, and will definitely be done this weekend.  I must say she looks much better in life than in my sketches.  The sexy, spider, ballerina nature of the legs is pretty creepy.  The triple fan service crotch shot will doubtlessly disturb many, as well.

Offline burgers4me

• Burgers, The Delicious Graduate
    • Story of The Gods (SotG)
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2009, 05:14:04 AM »
Some size pictures with maybe a daemon would be kool. You know, to see how big they are :D
What, Wait?

Why do I even have this thing...

"There is no such thing as a bad story. Just one that can be improved."

Offline Sersi

• Fear the cute ones!
    • Sinister Miniatures
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2009, 07:05:49 AM »
Okay, progress!

First here is the second KOS:

I've completely bulked him out in sculpey as much as needed to.  I'll be switching gray-tinted Aves Fixit Sculpt next.  The claws you see on the model were originally intended for the Daemon Princess models, and are just place holders.  They far to small compared to my reference image, and will be replaced later.  The feet are from the WF Giant model and are also to small, so I'll be re-sculpting on those too.

Here's the model scaled against an IG model.

Here's the model scaled against the FW KOS model.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 07:55:32 AM by Sersi »

Offline Sersi

• Fear the cute ones!
    • Sinister Miniatures
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2009, 07:15:26 AM »
Here is where I am on the first Soul Grinder:

Here it is scaled against the FW KOS.

Offline Sersi

• Fear the cute ones!
    • Sinister Miniatures
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2009, 07:40:49 AM »
And here is my Progress with the pregnant Soul Grinder:

She's been fun to sculpt, working out the anatomy so that the chest and arms could actually work resulted in two sets of pectoral muscles,  which ofcourse justifies a second set of breasts, no?  :D

Here the model is scaled against a IG model:

Here the model is scaled against a the 6.5 inch tall FW KOS model:

Sorry, its a bit blurry.

Offline Sersi

• Fear the cute ones!
    • Sinister Miniatures
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2009, 07:49:17 AM »
Finally, because a few people asked here's some scaling shots of the Daemon Princesses and a group shot of the larger models in the army.

Daemon Princesses first.  Note that the FW KOS is 6.5 inches tall, while the IG model is 1 inch tall.

Group Shots

Offline burgers4me

• Burgers, The Delicious Graduate
    • Story of The Gods (SotG)
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2009, 05:57:23 PM »
Slaneesh would be pleased, very pleased.

Now I have seen the Daemon Princesses to scale, I understand them! They would be awesome HQs!
What, Wait?

Why do I even have this thing...

"There is no such thing as a bad story. Just one that can be improved."

Offline Jehan-Reznor

• The Dude in Japan
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2009, 04:45:17 AM »
cannot wait to see them painted, keep it up.
"this can't be happening, Man!"
my projects;
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=169427.0 budhhist space marines
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=163611.0 Doombringer my space marine chapter
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=150109.0 Hello Kitty Space Marine Army

Offline Sersi

• Fear the cute ones!
    • Sinister Miniatures
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2009, 09:58:02 AM »
Hi Guys!

So, I worked on the big boy some more last night.  With his hunched over pose he's approximately 14.5 cm tall, if he were standing erect he'd be around 20 cm.  At this point I've skinned him with Aves Fixit Sculpt, so he's rock solid.  I've enlarged the feet and replaced the claws with a far larger set; to better match the reference.  He's also had his horns blocked in and his head started.

Here's another comparison with the FW KOS.  It should be easier to see now that he's more of a neutral gray.

Offline Sersi

• Fear the cute ones!
    • Sinister Miniatures
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2009, 09:31:17 PM »
Okay the new stuffs!

Here's another Daemon Princess Head, with a re-sculpted face and smaller chin.

I also started casting 60mm bases for the Gluttons, it only costs me pennies to do vs the $10 for 1 from GW.  Shocking!  :o

Here's a Picture of all the molds I've made for this army.  That's about $200 worth of silicon rubber.

Lastly, here's a pic of my current display case.

More later!

Offline Qui-Gon Jinn

• Jedi Master of the Editorial Order, TechMarine
  • May the Force be with you!
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2009, 10:50:52 PM »
There is only one thing that does not make this army 10/10, and which keeps it at 7/10: Painting.
There is no paint on the models. I cannot, in good conscience, praise your whole army unless it is painted. And what is more, from the amount of stuff you have, you'll have a Warp of a time doing it all justice.

Chaos Daemon Army
The Army in all its glory!
The Battle Reports of the Army

W/L/D
55/11/7

Chaos Poster of 2009!
Bow before me! :P

Offline Rudkin

• Fio'ui Kais
  • Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2009, 11:08:29 PM »
That's quite the price tag on those moulds! At least you might be able to get some of that back if you sell some of these as kits (since they're all scratch-built and unique in design there's no IP problems... unless some of them have the Slaanesh symbol modelled on? If so, you may have issues with that...). Just tag them as "Pleasure Daemons" or something and you're set (after all, that tactic works for Ultraforge Minis)!

~~~~~
Regarding the latest Princess head, it's coming along nicely. The top lip seems a bit too curled up and/or large (unless you were intentionally going for the sort of "puckered" look?) and the forehead ridges are a touch uneven (the ridge on the right side of her face is noticably higher than on the left). I'd touch that up. Also, obviously, don't forget to smooth out the long horns; about halfway down needs some work.

I like the smaller chin, though; it looks good.

~~~~~~
And as for your KOS, you're doing a good job keeping close to the original image. I'm quite impressed. Do keep it up.

Oh, and in general, I hadn't realized just how large these models were! Once you've got everything done that'll look really impressive on the tabletop!

Offline Sersi

• Fear the cute ones!
    • Sinister Miniatures
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2009, 07:56:57 AM »
There is only one thing that does not make this army 10/10, and which keeps it at 7/10: Painting.
There is no paint on the models. I cannot, in good conscience, praise your whole army unless it is painted. And what is more, from the amount of stuff you have, you'll have a Warp of a time doing it all justice.

I can't argue with that.  I should be done modeling and converting by end of next week.  Then the real work begins.  I only intend to take the troops to a high table top standard, and I'll be airbrushing all the base coats as perhaps some shading.  Assembly line here I come.

Offline Noodles the Defiler

• Feels no pain on a 4+
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2009, 09:13:43 AM »
looking forward to seeing your hard work pay off then.
very interested to see what colours you will give them as well as the "continuity" (or however it spells...) as they seem to be getting along very nicely on a clean, uniform look so far.

the big guy is impressive, sure, but i am more amazed by the smaller princesses and alike so far, with their detail and sensual looks.

Offline Hive Node

• What would happen if a gargoyle had air sickness?
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2009, 03:40:02 PM »
I'm not sure if you finished your plaguebearer stand -ins or not, but maybe take a look at a character from the Soul Calbur games called Voldo.

He screams S&M, almost literally.

Here is one picture of him:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/Voldo/Full_Metal1923/sc3-voldo-02.jpg

Though he has several different costumes from different games.
If you are reading this, you must be having fun. Right?

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2009, 03:56:39 PM »
Fantastic project. And very diverse.

I hope we are going to see more updates soon (not trying to pressure you in any way ;D)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 03:59:34 PM by tryanotherone »
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever