News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The My-Friend-Got-Ripped-Off Space Marine Project... [image heavy]  (Read 4519 times)

Offline Nihilanth

• My Gaming Blog
Haha. I've started a project so incredibly sad, it's humorous. Okay, get this. My friend agrees to buy this guy's "1000 points" of space marines without seeing them first. When he picks them up and gives the seller $100, he finds the following pathetic models:

Some poorly painted terminators:

Okay... some even more poorly painted assault marines:

Some heavy weapons. My friend apparently tried to somehow remove the paint from the one with the heavy bolter, scratching up the model real bad...

Now we get into the good stuff, the tactical squad... I think... Here are the best models of that squad. One model here came with a flock 'bush' covering the entire lower half of his body:  :-\

Here we have a very interestingly posed marine holding a bolter in a very strange way and holding a power sword as if he's about to shank someone with it. Also, the shoulder pads?!?!:

This model had a power fist and a plasma pistol at one point but they fell off as soon as I touched it?

This model is dual wielding. Is that even possible?

"Yes!!!" ... He also had a power sword held in his power fist, but I removed that already:

I don't know where this marine's legs went:

And I already put these two models in some Simple Green, but one was holding a missile launcher in one hand and a knife in the other hand. The other model in there is randomly painted red with another pair of the incorrectly positioned shoulder pads...

And finally, an army shot! $100 worth (and supposedly 1000 points) of space marines:

Hoorah!

So it got to a point where my friend was sick of looking at these models and offered to simply give them to me. Well I felt bad for him, so I decided to give him $20 for the lot (which also includes 15 Eldar Guardians and 4 swooping hawks)... So now all of these fine models have made their way into my hands to try to fix them up! I have a lot of work ahead of me, don't I? First things first, I think I need to work on stripping and disassembling these models, procuring some bits (for example, legs) to use to fix them up, and getting a codex to figure out what, exactly, I have here...

Oh yeah. And I'm probably going to add my 10 marines from the Battle for Macragge set, which my friend borrowed. Unfortunately he cannot find two of said marines. *sigh*

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
Re: The My-Friend-Got-Ripped-Off Space Marine Project... [image heavy]
« Reply #1 on: June 5, 2008, 05:38:41 AM »
They're basically marines.  You could be whatever chapter you want to become after stripping them. 

For $20, that's quite a steal, even if they look so retarded.  I take it your friend doesn't want to take the time to strip and repaint?  I wonder why your friend buys them right off, I mean it's in person, right?  Let's see, (50 + 25 + 35)+(Tax of 8%, guessing) = 117.

I say your friend didn't really get ripped off except didn't want to take the time to strip and repaint them.

Offline Nihilanth

• My Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 5, 2008, 04:55:59 PM »
Well the real question I have is whether they actually are 1000 points or even a legal force. I can't figure out if I've got an HQ there or not, for example... Or two troops choices. If it's not 1000 points and if it's not a legal army, then I'd say my friend did get ripped off because that's what it was advertised as.

But I suppose you have a point. The terminators and assault squad aren't that bad actually. Some of the poses are a little ridiculous so I need to find a way to carefully undo the glue (or plastic cement rather). And I know I certainly got a good deal on it. :) Don't ask me why my friend accepted the deal in the first place... It might be because the seller is his friend and he didn't want to back out in the last minute.

The main problem I have with this is that the tactical squad(s) is/are horribly assembled and painted and missing important parts (legs). I don't think any thought went into the creation of this 'army' because it doesn't seem to me like a lot of the weapons on the models are even legal.

Offline Jerseyboy381

• The Jersey General
« Reply #3 on: June 5, 2008, 05:09:29 PM »
It looks far short of 1000 points, but one of the termies looks like he's holding a Crozius and has a Rosarius on his shoulder, making him a Chaplain so there's your HQ.  The only way for the other 4 to be legal on their own is to be a command squad for the Chappie.  Beyond that you've got what appears to be 13 marines (well 12 1/2) but as far as a body count goes, there's the 2 troop choices.  I'd be surprised if their wargear was legal though.  Based solely on the body count with no idea what gear they have, he got a bit over half the points he expected.  Still once you've recovered them it is a decent starting point for a good army.  You've got some CC muscle and 2 tac squads for some shooty power.  Once you get a codex and some more ideas on gear, shoot on over to the SM boards and throw up a basic army list.  We'll help more from there.
Everyone else is doing it so...Behold the great General's gaming blog!
Armies: ULTRAmarines!, Necron, Vampire Counts, Pure Nurgle CSM.
Work-in-progress armies:Tau, Orks, Empire.

Offline Cakes on a plane

• I'm Lucy!
  • I'm velvety and red. YAY!
« Reply #4 on: June 5, 2008, 05:27:33 PM »
Thats a crux terminatus on his shoulder pad, are they the same thing?#
Yeh your friend got ripped- legs are hard to come by as well  :-\
Losing to Raktra consistently since 2007...still

"I love the smell of promethium in the morning"

Offline Jerseyboy381

• The Jersey General
« Reply #5 on: June 5, 2008, 05:57:39 PM »
No, you're right it's the crux, but he does have the Rosarius which is the Chaplain badge of office so he is an HQ model.  I know the war store sells bits so they're probably the best place to get legs aside from ebay.

Offline 4084595657

• Grot
« Reply #6 on: June 5, 2008, 06:01:43 PM »
Honestly mate, if you don't believe in yourself no one else will. Instead of saying "poorerly painted space marines" say "Space marines painted to the best of my ability".

But they don't look bad, i like the terminators :D

Offline Nihilanth

• My Gaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 5, 2008, 06:18:51 PM »
Watty: Haha. I didn't paint any of these models. I guess you didn't read my post. :P These are the models that some guy sold to my friend for $100.

Everyone Else: Thanks for the comments. You guys are being very helpful. I'm very glad to see that I at least have the necessary FOC slots covered here. I also found another terminator that wasn't in the squad photograph, so there are 5 terminators plus the chaplain.

I definitely need to get a codex before I start reequipping those marines. Thank the Emperor for The War Store! It looks to have basically everything I need. I would go to eBay, because the prices are generally cheaper for bits, but I'd probably end up paying more with shipping because I'd have to purchase bits from different sellers.

I already do have a few space marine bits, including about 4 torsos, a million shoulder pads, a million heads, and some various weapons and arms. I think I'll buy some extra legs and weapons and turn those 4 torsos into 4 more marines. :)

UPDATE:
Well, I've begun work today. I took the two marines out of the Simple Green. I might need to leave them in Simple Green longer than overnight, because a lot of paint did not come off even with rigorous toothbrushing. Here's the result:

The paint on that red marine is incredibly resistant to Simple Green, it would seem. This would be fine, except that it's an incredibly thick layer of paint that obscures details. As you can see below, I actually had to cut/file off the aquila on his chest because it was completely FUBAR.

I also decided to replace his head, which I cut off and then used a dremel to drill out a hole for the replacement head. Of course his shoulder pads had to be corrected. This is when I realized that the guy who made these used A TON of glue. I spent a while carving away at his shoulders and finally decide to cut off his arms... Bad idea. This took so much force that when I finally cut through his shoulders, my knife sliced through his bolter, wrist, and almost through his leg like butter. So after some cleaning up, I glued the arms back on and gave him new shoulder pads and a helmet. I will need to greenstuff his leg before I paint him.

He still looks like amphetamine parrot, but I'm not going to bother trying to get the rest of that red paint off. This model already lost enough detail. I'll just spray over it. Luckily it's the only one painted with this paint. Currently, I have the metal heavy bolter and a tactical marine soaking in SG right now. In the meantime I need to figure out a way to make that missile launcher marine look less ridiculous.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2008, 07:54:27 PM by Nihilanth »

Offline Cakes on a plane

• I'm Lucy!
  • I'm velvety and red. YAY!
« Reply #8 on: June 6, 2008, 12:10:12 PM »
whats simple green where can i get it (uk) if i want it?
i dont suppose it strips paint off plastic without melting it does it?
Losing to Raktra consistently since 2007...still

"I love the smell of promethium in the morning"

Offline Nihilanth

• My Gaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 6, 2008, 04:14:52 PM »
Simple Green is a non-toxic, environmentally friendly multi-purpose cleaner. I don't live in the UK so I don't know if you can get it there. Sorry.

Supposedly, it does strip paint off plastic without melting it, which is why I'm putting my plastic models in it. This is my first experience with it, though, so I'm not sure how well it works.

UPDATE:
Alright. Today I painted both of those models I showed yesterday. Unfortunately, the first model turned out looking like total crap, so I just threw it right back in the Simple Green. The second model turned out ok, but I'm not sure if I really like the scheme or not. Can I get your opinions?

Turns out painting space marines is harder than it looks. They have more details than the IG and nids that I'm used to painting.
« Last Edit: June 6, 2008, 11:40:45 PM by Nihilanth »

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #10 on: June 7, 2008, 04:47:58 AM »
I actually really like that scheme.... Very cool.
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline Jerseyboy381

• The Jersey General
« Reply #11 on: June 7, 2008, 10:58:15 AM »
You know...I like it.  It's different.  It doesn't look too complicated so you can repeat it on several models.  I like the effect on the grey.  It looks a bit weathered, but that's good.  He's a hardened Marine.  Get th rest done and then you can start beating back the Emperor's enemies my battle-brother.

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #12 on: June 7, 2008, 03:59:24 PM »
Turns out painting space marines is harder than it looks. They have more details than the IG and nids that I'm used to painting.

I disagree.  I've painted all races and I still think Space Marines are notably the easiest to paint and get all the details.  Those who seen how and what I paint would know what I'm talking about.  Guardsmen are actually a little more tricky for me because I paint with details, and clothing takes a lot of time to bring it out, especially around those guardsmen legs. 

I think the hardest for me overall that took forever to paint would have to be Sisters of Battle.  Runner up would be Grey Nights, then Chaos Space Marines.  Easiest for me would be Space Marines, then Tau.

But if you're talking about painting solid with not much highlightings and just washing, then I agree with you.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2008, 04:04:18 PM by DJ-of-E »

Offline Snike

• ...I personally prefer the term "beyond faith".
« Reply #13 on: June 7, 2008, 04:22:03 PM »
They have more details than the IG and nids...
Than Nids? *laughs a lot* Dude, last time I checked, the Nids were the #3 in "most detailed (model-wise) 40K races"-list. The first one are those damn Dark Angels and the second is Chaos. (Thanks to the new models. Few of them still suck.) However, you can paint Nids pretty easily, depending how you are used to paint. Afterall, every army can be hard as hell to paint if you paint all the little details and stuff.

The paint scheme looks a lot like pre-Heresy Death Guard.

I feel sad for your friend. Really amphetamine parrotty quality models.
I'LL BE BACK SOON!

CSM - Nurgle - The Dead Company of Morgion - 4900+ points and growing
Nids - Hive Fleet Thanatos - 2100 points and growing (reaaally slowly)
Coming maybe someday: Orks - Da Black Jawz

Check this out! :D

Offline Nihilanth

• My Gaming Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 7, 2008, 09:07:44 PM »
Alright, since I got generally positive comments on it, I went ahead and painted that other marine the same way. Here is a before/after type thing:

I don't really like the way the bronze aquila on the gun turned out. Next time I think I'll do silver. Do you guys like the caution stripes? I figured if I made the guns green, there would be too much green, and that yellow goes well with green, but it would ugly if it were just solid yellow, so I went with the stripes.

Sadly, my friend doesn't like this scheme. Does it look bad?

Also, you guys are right. I never really noticed the amount of detail on Nids, I guess because I just drybrush over most of it. On these marines I've been outlining a lot of things in black, which takes time.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2008, 09:09:29 PM by Nihilanth »

Offline Fire Chicken

• This is my well thought out and informative text
    • Help me win the war
« Reply #15 on: June 7, 2008, 09:57:27 PM »
I like the scheme.  And I have always been a sucker for the caution stripes :)
The black outlining is a bit too striking for my taste.  I don't do that much outlining.  But that does not mean bad at all.  Just my taste
And the missing chest Aquila really stands out.  What could you put there?  A teleport homer or chest mounted scanner or something.  Even ammo links?
For brass (or gold) it really needs an ink wash of brown over it.
If you can read this thank a teacher.
This is a very witty and amusing signature
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=185621.msg2275250#msg2275250

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #16 on: June 7, 2008, 10:37:31 PM »
why is it unevenly clean and dirty between the green and the greys?

Offline Nihilanth

• My Gaming Blog
« Reply #17 on: June 7, 2008, 10:48:23 PM »
Good question... Well I didn't really mean for the gray areas to look so rough, but I drybrush them to avoid getting paint in the little details. The green areas, though, are just smooth, so drybrushing them seemed unnecessary to me. I see what you mean though, but I don't think it's that noticeable, especially in person. The pictures really bring out those rough spots on the models.

Fire Chicken: I agree. The chest does look too empty, but I'm not sure what I could put there. I don't really know what either of the things you suggested looks like. I may try an ammo belt or something...

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #18 on: June 8, 2008, 05:34:24 AM »
The green areas, though, are just smooth, so drybrushing them seemed unnecessary to me.

Easy way to fix it.  Get black ink wash, straight on paint over it, grab a shirt or cloth (something u would've throw away anywayz) and absorb (and if necessarily rub a little) the ink with the cloth.  There you go, the green is matchingly dirty as well.  This will create an even "weather" look on a slim.  Though you have to do it quickly as the longer you leave it, the more of the black ink will adhere to the surface.

Offline Nihilanth

• My Gaming Blog
« Reply #19 on: June 8, 2008, 04:25:34 PM »
That is a pretty good idea. Would it work with watered down chaos black? It would cost a ton of money to get ahold of black ink right now. It's an hour drive to the nearest place that stocks GW stuff, and I'd have to pay shipping if I ordered online... ><