News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The only way to truly fluffily kill a necron?  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Warhoon

• The Cranky Old Geezer
  • Ancient
  • Defender of the 7th Fane of Alaitoc
Re:The only way to truly fluffily kill a necron?
« Reply #20 on: August 9, 2002, 01:20:00 PM »
Teleportation is different than 'warping.' If teleporting were the same as warping the Inquisition would NEVER let termies teleport; they'd be too paranoid of deamonic infestation. I'd subscribe to the idea that the teleporting done by necrons and termies is folding space and just not involved with the warp.
Actually, aren't Termies "lost in the warp" if they roll bad on the Deep Strike scatter?

They were in the old edition.

That would punch a big hole in your theory....
I used to spend how much on 40K?

Offline The Hive Custodian (Retired)

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
  • Perfection Within; Perfection Without
« Reply #21 on: August 9, 2002, 02:32:51 PM »
Maybe this teleportation is like those Chrono Leigonnaires from Red Alert 2: they phase through time and stuff. Now, if the Necrons start erasing things out of time... speaking of which, wouldn't it be cool to have Warp Spiders with Wraithcannons?

Resources to repair them? What kind of resources would they need? And what exactly is the limit on this living metal stuff? If you melt it, will it still work? Vaporize it? Heat it to the point that the very atoms in the material split into ions and stuff? Could someone explain this Geller field stuff to me?
Calculus is an art, but algebra is attrition.

Offline Sgt. Sota

• March Avatar, Death Awaits!
  • Tonight we dine in... Denny's!
« Reply #22 on: August 9, 2002, 07:04:29 PM »
well i always interpreted it as metal that was like flesh, only harder.
Only the dead have seen the end of war

Cheantoa

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2002, 04:57:02 AM »
Well kage... it appears you outclass me by several ranks in both fluffology and scientology.

However

If material things cannot enter the warp, how does warp travel work? The webway, too?

Cheantoa

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2002, 04:58:21 AM »
Well kage... it appears you outclass me by several ranks in both fluffology and scientology.

However

If material things cannot enter the warp, how does warp travel work? The webway, too?

Cheantoa

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2002, 04:59:44 AM »

However

Offline Kurnous

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2002, 05:53:51 AM »
ahem.

the webway...
is not...
the warp.

its more a collection of wormholes held in stasis and thus stabilized to a degree.
that's why Commoragh can exist in the webway.
if it were in the warp then chaos entities would be drawn to the DE's vibrant (if morally corrupt) souls like moths to a flame.

they are similar, as it is known that thewebway has a soul-draining effect if you stay in it for too long, and spiit stone (the crystallisation of psychic energy caused by interaction between the warp and real space, also what the crone worlds are supposedly made of) is found at the edges of webway portals.

travelling directly thru warp space has always bn to dangerous to the eldar, which is why the webway was created in the first place.

BTW: ironically, the only humans whose spirits daemons can sense strongly in the warp are also the only humans who can 'see' the way thru it; the navigators, or navis nobilite

yyyyup... :-\

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2002, 02:05:16 PM »
"...If material things cannot enter the warp, how does warp travel work? The webway, too?..." I was talking about canonically.  The Geller Field acts to protect a ship from the deliterious effects of the Warp.  In my own interpretation I don't buy this, but there we go...

As to the second question, see below.

ahem.

the webway...
is not...
the warp.
At last!  Someone else gets it! :D ::)

"...its more a collection of wormholes held in stasis and thus stabilized to a degree..." Hmmn, yes... although wormhole seems to imply only a single tunnel with an entrance and an exit.  The Webway is rather a collection of tunnels which interlink forming a tapestry or, well, a web...

"...that's why Commoragh can exist in the webway.
if it were in the warp then chaos entities would be drawn to the DE's vibrant (if morally corrupt) souls like moths to a flame..."
Exactly.

"...they are similar, as it is known that thewebway has a soul-draining effect if you stay in it for too long..." Oooohhh!  Where does this come from?  That would fit perfectly with my interpretation...

"...travelling directly thru warp space has always bn to dangerous to the eldar, which is why the webway was created in the first place..." That and the fact that it could be done!

"...ironically, the only humans whose spirits daemons can sense strongly in the warp are also the only humans who can 'see' the way thru it; the navigators, or navis nobilite..." Well, and psykers!

Offline Farseer Ari'Torcis

• Vengence is at hand.
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2002, 02:26:59 PM »
I for one would like to know how a pile of melted, shattered, or liquified metal bits is able to teleport at all.  I have seen necrons get blown into more pieces in more differant ways than many players.  I have this to ask, HOW IS A BROKEN TELEPORTER GOING TO TELEPORT?????????

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2002, 04:27:26 PM »
I would imagine that it is not the Necron that is doing the actual teleporting, in the same way that an individual in Star Trek is not the one doing the teleporting.  Rather, that is achieved by some distant device...

Offline SteamingBarrel

• TASTY CORN!
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2002, 04:58:44 PM »
2 things, this may be long...

1. could the very atoms of the living metal have small parts of a teleporting device attached onto them, i mean these little devices would have to be so small they could fit on an atom, and when a signifigant number of them are within a very small area it allows teleportation??? i dunno this is pretty unlikely, but hey if they can make microscopic repair organisms its possible.

2. Does any one know about zero force? (at least thats what i think its called) well anyway zero force is an energy that exists everywhere. It is the energy that surrounds every atom to keep it from imploding in upon it self. It holds together attoms, in a nuclear explosion, atoms are splitting, in a fision bomb atoms would fuse together and create massive amounts of heat, but the most powerfull would be a zero force explosion, where the atoms are actually imploding. It is said that if we could create a zero force explosion we could have enough power to move at warp speed (faster than light, BTW this is not 40k warp speed this is real life warp drive) im not gonna explain how cause that would take to long. Now what is the purpose of the above? If somehow we  could turn off the zero force around the necron attoms, creating a zero point explosion, and haveing all mater within a certain radius implode on it self, im sure the necrons wouldnt be able to take thier WBB roles! ;D however im not sure how big an explosion of this scale would be, so it might not even be possible even if humans did have this kind of technology.
SO YOU WANNA BE A ROCK SUPPERSTAR? LIVE LARGE, BIG HOUSE FIVE CARS YOUR IN CHARGE COMING UP IN THE WORLD DONT TRUST NOBODY GOT TO LOOK OVER YOUR SHOULDER CONSTANTLY...

Offline The Hive Custodian (Retired)

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
  • Perfection Within; Perfection Without
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2002, 05:32:26 PM »
Isn't that the stuff that binds protons together in nucleii?
Calculus is an art, but algebra is attrition.

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2002, 05:50:21 PM »
"...Does anyone know about zero force?..." Zero point energy is what I think you're talking about.  Also, my memory is rather hazy at the moment but I think what you refer to in the rest of the post is, rather, the nuclear strong and weak forces...

But, then again, it's been a while since I've studied physics.

"...It is said that if we could create a zero force explosion we could have enough power to move at warp speed (faster than light..." Erm, if it's in the real universe then you cannot move faster than the speed of light.  General relativity doesn't allow it.

And, yes, I believe there is a university in Wales which is researching into something called the Alcubierre warp drive...

Offline SteamingBarrel

• TASTY CORN!
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2002, 07:57:54 PM »
yeah some dude figured out how to move faster than light in real life, he said you could stretch space out behind you and compress it infront of you so you would be moving by gravity, in theory you could use zero point energy and do this (if we had the technology). I think Enstien's idea was that you would need an infinate source of energy to overcome gravity, but you can bend the rule if you use gravity as your source of energy?
SO YOU WANNA BE A ROCK SUPPERSTAR? LIVE LARGE, BIG HOUSE FIVE CARS YOUR IN CHARGE COMING UP IN THE WORLD DONT TRUST NOBODY GOT TO LOOK OVER YOUR SHOULDER CONSTANTLY...

Offline TokathMarg

• The Scorpion of Death
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2002, 07:53:21 PM »
2 things, this may be long...

1. could the very atoms of the living metal have small parts of a teleporting device attached onto them, i mean these little devices would have to be so small they could fit on an atom, and when a signifigant number of them are within a very small area it allows teleportation??? i dunno this is pretty unlikely, but hey if they can make microscopic repair organisms its possible.

2. Does any one know about zero force?

1. As I see it, the necron teleportation is, as somebody else stated, based on a distant device teleporting the necron away. Every atom in the Necron might be marked somehow, and when the device inside the necron which sends the "alive" signal (which does so that the necron isn't teleported home) gets damaged or is turned off by the necron, it will teleport back to the tomb world. So, blocking off the teleportation signal wouldn't be any good, as the effect would just be to teleport the necrons away (actually, that would remove the treath...My friends, I have found the way to eliminate the Necrontyr treath. It is simply to avoid them. Now, we need something that can block their signals...). If we would want to capture a necron, we would need to decrypt it's signal and actually reproducing it, so that even thought the necron stops his, a similar signal will be sent out...

2. This zero force thing you talk about. No, I haven't heard about it, but the effect reminds me of matter/antimatter collisions. A collision between particle and antiparticle transfers all material into energy, actually imploding them (As a side notice, a gramme or two of antimatter would have the same effect as a Hiroshima nuke, if it wasn't a hydrogen bomb...kaboom Necron army...of course, we would only remove a few grammes of necron, but we would send the whole force back to the tomb world...). The only way of actually making a controlled implosion of matter/antimatter would be to make a 100% vacuumed container of matter, which was also a powerful electromagnet, effectively holding the antimatter in the exact center of the container.

As for getting antimatter, well, according to different theories there should be just as much antimatter as matter out there in the universe. The thing is that when energy is converted to matter, it produces one particle and one antiparticle...and knowing that there is a lot of matter in the universe, there must be a lot of antimatter too...

As for destroying the necrons, I do agree that sending them into warpspace would destroy them. This Geller field, what would happen if it failed? Would the matter be sent out of the Immaterium, or destroyed? if the last happened, well, Necrons would be easy targets...personall y, I believe in creating larger weapons to fight them than wraith- and d-cannons.

Now: the Webway. This is, as someone pointed out, not the warp. However, it shares a lot with it. The closest any mon-keigh has come to understand it, is that it is in the warp, yet still not...as is stated somewhere in the Codex Eldar...(last pages). As I see it, it is partly in real-space and partly in the warp, yet not really in any of them...
"United we stand; divided we fall; together we are One"

Since everyone seems to make such nice "Win Draw Losses" statistics in their signature, I think I'll do that as well...these stats, for some reason, do not include all the games I played earlier and can't remember the outcome of (nor do they include those I can remember the outcome of, as this would mean a bit high score on the win side)

Wins     Draws     Losses
  1             1             1

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2002, 08:57:29 AM »
Now: the Webway. This is, as someone pointed out, not the warp. However, it shares a lot with it. The closest any mon-keigh has come to understand it, is that it is in the warp, yet still not...as is stated somewhere in the Codex Eldar...(last pages). As I see it, it is partly in real-space and partly in the warp, yet not really in any of them...
TokathMarg... you might quite like the pseudo physics of here.  Bit wordy and verbose but I like it... well, I should like it after all! :D ;) ::)

Offline FarseerEugene

• Co-Director of Insufficent Light Monday-Thursday
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2002, 01:14:18 AM »
Greetings Mortals Farseer Eugene here,

As it turns out I have my own theory in regards to destroying Necrons for good.  All that would need to be done is to use their own weapons against them.  As Gauss weapons strip away the atoms of it's target layer by layer it would not be likely they would be able to repair Necrons destroyed in this fashion.

Let that stew for a bit,
  Your pal, Eugene ;)
Fear The Terrible Power Of The Great Farseer Eugene...Hey What're You Laughing At?

Offline SteamingBarrel

• TASTY CORN!
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2002, 03:07:47 PM »
u make em friendly fire on each other, now thats a thought!

Offline Sir Carl

• Sir Carl the Lichslayer (now Necron Lord Slayer)
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2002, 04:17:12 AM »
If warping necrons does the trick, we should build some sort of big planet D-estroyer, for sucking up tomb worlds!  (Even if it doesn't kill necrons for good, we should build it anyway (and aim it at Terra!))

Offline Isha

• Pathfinders... the deadliest of Eldar
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2002, 05:03:32 AM »
If warping necrons does the trick, we should build some sort of big planet D-estroyer, for sucking up tomb worlds!  (Even if it doesn't kill necrons for good, we should build it anyway (and aim it at Terra!))

We already have a planet destroyer... the Akliamor (if memory serves me right)..

coutesy of a Gav Thorpe story.

Now if we just get a few of these together and then use them on a few tomb worlds...

Eldar rule again!