News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Were Sisters Getting Updated (Again)?  (Read 2270 times)

Offline starstrider

• Ork Boy
  • Armies: Sisters of Battle, Order of the Sacred Rose
Were Sisters Getting Updated (Again)?
« on: November 4, 2012, 10:20:32 PM »
Hey guys, quick question.

I haven't kept up with news and rumors much. I know that the sisters of battle got their "recent" WD update, but does anyone know if they were scheduled for another update in the form of a real codex/set of models at some point in the near/mid/less than absolutely remote future?

I heard they were going to get an update, but am unsure if that pretty much came down to "let's give them a WD and leave it at that" or if a bit more was in store for some point.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
Re: Were Sisters Getting Updated (Again)?
« Reply #1 on: November 5, 2012, 06:37:11 AM »
There is no news.

Personally I think GW hates us, given that you can now not get the army list legally at all without paying extortionate prices on ebay and the fact that you have to pay absurd money for the models its going to be a long time before anything happens.

The WD list is okay, the only thing that actually annoys me is that the HQ options are "Celestine or something rubbish."
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #2 on: November 5, 2012, 07:59:37 AM »
I keep pretty up to date on the various rumor sites and nothing has been said about them or hinted at for a long time  :(

Given the general accuracy of rumors though expect them to have a sparkly new codex ready for christmas  :P

Offline starstrider

• Ork Boy
« Reply #3 on: November 7, 2012, 06:11:41 PM »
That's unfortunate. I was thinking, fairly seriously, of starting them up as a christmas-ish project. It's a bit frustrating having no clue if the overpriced metal mini's will suddenly be replaced by new, awesome plastic ones, or if the army is just on the backburner indefinitely. Either way would be ok, but my approach would change up a lot if I knew which was the case.

I haven't seen their rules, and I haven't downloaded any of the pdf scans because I have a (overzealosly) healthy fear of viruses. So I won't be able to get a feel for the army until I spend way too much on finding an old copy of the WD. I'm not asking for the rules, obviously, but can anyone here give me a decent run down of the army ahead of time? Sort of a look at their units, a look at the biggest problems for their list to deal with, a look at what the list does best and how it does it, etc? A beginners guide to the SOB kind of, to help me decide if I want to spend entirely too much on this project before I do.

I know it's a lot to ask, but I'd appreciate it a lot if anyone could take the time.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #4 on: November 7, 2012, 06:27:32 PM »
It just so happens I'm working on exactly that! Although I'm not making super fast progress ill see if it'll be done in a week or so for public review.

I think it's very safe to say there will be no update in the next year or so for sisters of battle. GW pretty much don't care :(
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline MortVader83

• There's no reason for it. It's just our policy
  • Armies: Grey Knights 5th Brotherhood, CSM, Nids, DA, SM.
« Reply #5 on: November 7, 2012, 09:05:57 PM »
 I had considered starting up a Sisters allied attachment until I went back and reread the WD codex. Hymirl is right about the "either Celestine or rubbish" and it's what unsold me. Half the LGS tournies here are no special characters allowed types. I'm a bit of a fan of nasty or force multiplying HQs, so wasn't for me. However it's not all that bad and can be effective still. So don't get discouraged by the WD dex :).
"Ofcourse it's safe to smoke! I'm just loading Class-A fireworks, nothing dangerous."

Offline starstrider

• Ork Boy
« Reply #6 on: November 7, 2012, 09:24:21 PM »
Thanks, look forwards to reading that when you've got it all put together.

As far as the lousy HQs go... I don't think I'm going to play that competitively. I mean, I'll play to win, but I probably won't get to play a ton in the first place, so it's going to be primarily a painting thing. When I do get to play, I can probably manage to "deal with it", although I'm sure I'll grumble some. But grumbling some can be fun in and of itself, right?

While I'm littering the board with questions, does the forgeworld repressor have rules in any IA book (or elsewhere)? If anyone knows what it does can they give me a vague idea (without giving away the actual rules)?

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #7 on: November 8, 2012, 04:32:09 AM »
I don't know which IA the repressor is in. It's basically a rhino with extra fire points and a flamer. It's not much more expensive than a rhino either. Incidentally the forgeworld exocist is cheaper than GW's. And buying one immolator will give you enough sister of battle bits and bobs to decorate three or four vehicles.

I posted some battle reports for my sisters in the battle reports section this week if you're interested.

the LGS tournies here are no special characters allowed types. I'm a bit of a fan of nasty or force multiplying HQs, so wasn't for me. However it's not all that bad and can be effective still. So don't get discouraged by the WD dex :).

So no deathwing allowed at your local tournaments then... seems a bit odd given how many codexes are using special characters to create army variants. The basic cannoness isn't that awful in terms of value... if you ally her to IG she can join a big blog of guardsmen, make them stubborn and then use her act of faith to make them pummel stuff to death.

Having marines suddenly realise they're fighting against models on the same initiative can be quite amusing.
« Last Edit: November 8, 2012, 06:38:18 AM by Hymirl »

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #8 on: November 8, 2012, 03:41:27 PM »
Most aggravating part of the DEX to me is they included one of the hardest hitting HtH units in the game, Uriah/DCA/Crusader/AF bombs and gave the army no assault vehicle whatsoever.  They either walk and get shot to pieces or put them in a Rhino, unload and well get shot to pieces a turn before you assault. 

I was literally able to make SW TWC SPAM lists cry with a unit of Crusaders and DCAs.   
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline MortVader83

• There's no reason for it. It's just our policy
  • Armies: Grey Knights 5th Brotherhood, CSM, Nids, DA, SM.
« Reply #9 on: November 8, 2012, 06:10:33 PM »
@Hymirl- No, just every other tournie doesn't allow special characters. This is because our TO hates them, believes it makes the game unbalanced. If you remember my thread on this TO you'll know the stupidity I have to deal with. He even forced this on us for the 2011 FoB qualifiers, which I swept anyways with an armylist wrote in 5min. lol.

I believe the Repressor is in the Siege of Vraks IA book. I don't have it on me at the moment(in a deer stand) but I believe it's 10pts more than a SM rhino.
"Ofcourse it's safe to smoke! I'm just loading Class-A fireworks, nothing dangerous."