News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Iyanden Wraithlist painting blog + modelling questions.  (Read 46298 times)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Re: Iyanden Wraithlist painting blog + modelling questions.
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2015, 07:02:52 PM »
Awesome, I will keep that in mind. As for the symbol, put a banner pole behind him and paint it on the banner, if that helps. Or just make a special base for the banner to put beside him.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #41 on: February 5, 2015, 05:56:11 AM »
vonny your stuff is amazing!  I'm particularly impressed with the paint jobs because yellow is not easy to work with.  That and that the spiritseer conversion.  Nice job on the head swap! :)

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2015, 07:34:05 AM »
So... while my spiritseer hasn't seen much progress... or any progress at all, I did get some work done on another project.

The first of two wave serpents.

images here:

its pilot:

The idea was to paint up a part like it was a gem, then as if the house symbol of the embarked unit was shining through the gem from behind. I'm not completely happy with how it turned out so far, but I'm also not sure on how to improve on it:

And lastly, a top view:

There's a few things I'm still working on. First off, the rear door. I have no idea how to open it once I glue the top half of my wave serpent in place. It's not really necessary, but so far I haven't built a single vehicle which doors can't be opened, and I'm not planning on starting now. The eldar door has nothing to get a grip on, however, contrary to the teeth of rhino doors and the drop pod doors which you can get a firm grip on. Not sure how to solve this yet.

The base still needs to be attached. Seeing how the flight stand that came with it broke its tip off during painting, I ordered some magnetized flying stands and am awaiting their arrival.

I'm considering more parts to paint black, most obviously on the serpent shield generators and the sensor array in the front. I'm not averse to keeping them bone for now, or forever, but I'm also considering whether I should make some more parts black in there.

Lastly, I would like to paint the Iyanden symbol on the craft somewhere and the house symbol of the pilot, to denote to which house the craft belongs to (this won't be the same as the occupants, as there's only one living member of that house left, and she's to be my spiritseer). I'm thinking probably close to the canopy, but I don't know. As for the iyanden symbol I'm pondering about doing it on the yellow panel just to the back and outside of the engine intakes. It should look nicely there...

Anyway, comments, suggestions and complaints are always welcome, and I hope you enjoy/get inspired/something else that's positive

check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2015, 06:47:47 AM »
Gorgeous stuff as always Vonny. I love the softness of the colors gives everything a totally ethereal vibe which is perfect for haunted Iyanden.

Also if you wanted you could always put the Iyanden symbol on the back hatch of the vehicle. Sort of an "eat my dust" application but that might be a bit too coarse for your army!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2015, 09:33:22 AM »
Outstanding stuff vonny!

I agree, the Iyanden would look good there.  As for the house symbol, I think right near the canopy is the best place.  Kind of like the markings on a fighter jet.  Maybe on that blank space in front of the cockpit?

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2015, 06:18:06 PM »
The Wave Serpent looks really good.  Your skill with yellow is very high.

I wish that I had an idea of how to help with the Wave Serpent door, but I'm almost certain that mine doesn't open either.  I am not sure that it's possible to achieve it without having altered the model in some way in advance.

Your plans of where to put the symbols sound good to me :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2015, 08:34:23 AM »
meanwhile, another work in progress shot...

It doesn't look as neat in close up as it does from a bit further away...

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2015, 09:07:53 AM »
Looking good!  Keep up the good work!

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2015, 05:11:00 AM »
and here she is, finished and all:

As with my other models, the weapon options are magnetized and removable. However, having just painted the heavy weapons of the wraithlords and then the heavy weapons from 2 guardian sets, I was temporarily done with painting the heavy weapon options and as such they're on my to-do pile for now, and are for that reason not in the pictures  :)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 06:25:02 AM by vonny »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2015, 07:33:27 AM »
Absolutely gorgeous stuff Vonny. The freehand is insane.... I'm so jealous my freehand filigree has always sucked whenever I've attempted it! Also the Waveserpent and Guardians are phenomenal. This has got to be the most ethereal Iyanden army I've ever seen. Great stuff as always... the color choices continue to payoff in spades

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2015, 06:26:56 PM »
Everything looks really good to me too :).  I love the detail and the different shading patterns.  Those Guardians look very imposing exiting that Wave Serpent.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2015, 06:17:34 PM »
Thank you both for your kind words. The freehanding... well, I had lots of practise in that when I was painting my Lamenter space marines. it's something I enjoy doing as well. And I'm really glad you keep describing my paint as 'ethereal', because I agree that that really fits Iyanden, and I quite like how it's turning out so far. It does indeed look a bit incorporeal, somehow.
I'm afraid the guardians won't be riding in the wave serpent a lot, but they do look stunning for the photo. I used a hip armor plate from one of the wraithlord sets as a 'handle' on the door, and I think it looks great and works even better, so I'm happy with that. Just browsing through the bits and bobs I had left got me that idea.
As a final note, I'm going to be adding just one more thing to the Serpent's base - it looked just a tad too flat in my eyes, and I've found the right thing to glue on, but I'll have to paint it seperately and then glue it on afterwards like I did with my door ornament. Probably not worth posting a picture of, but then you know what I'm up to.
Also, still working on the spiritseers, and after that... I haven't decided yet. Your feedback and compliments on here really motivate me though!

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #52 on: March 8, 2015, 06:07:51 AM »
and here she is:

her face looks way more weird on this picture than it does in real life. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a camera that can make it look normal, instead of this pale, surprised vampire.

I still hope you enjoy!
« Last Edit: March 9, 2015, 02:40:42 PM by vonny »

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #53 on: March 8, 2015, 09:01:55 AM »
Hey vonny that's some pretty sweet loking painting that you show us there i like i a lot. personnally i would feel this white vampire things to be more of the actual color of eldar as a normal white pink skin. If you read the fluff you can see somewhere that eldar have a really pale skin so that would be onpoint if it was a bit to pale compare to a human i believe.

in the end, nice model vonny :) i trully like the hair it works really well. Keep up the good work :)
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #54 on: March 8, 2015, 09:10:37 AM »
Hey grizzle, thanks for the compliments!

I know eldar are quite pale - I did paint her a lot paler than I normally paint humans. But that only enhances the problem with the photography, where the face looks more like a plain white sphere instead of the actual shading and highlighting that's gone in there.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #55 on: March 8, 2015, 02:08:35 PM »
Holy Crap! The eyes! wow, looks great. Beautiful job on all of her!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #56 on: March 8, 2015, 02:32:35 PM »
She looks great!  I'm also a big fan of painting Eldar to look ethereal and inhuman.  Well done!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #57 on: March 9, 2015, 07:26:50 AM »
I love it! Great work Vonny. The red hair looks great!

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: March 9, 2015, 08:26:32 AM »
Very well painted.  I like the pale look, and I don't think that there's anything resembling a vampire about the face.  The eye colour is very elven, and certainly not undead in any way.  The hair looks great too.

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #59 on: April 2, 2015, 07:58:53 AM »
Well, not much real progress to show, but I took a picture the other day and wanted to share it with you guys anyway.