News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tech Support Thread  (Read 61966 times)

Offline Brother Asreus

• Brother Captain, Resident Spokesman for Idiots.
  • Ancient
  • Closed captioned for the thinking impaired
Tech Support Thread
« on: August 9, 2005, 11:04:20 AM »
Hey all. After roaming through the threads and seeing some comments, I thought that it may be good to have a general technical help thread. It would a place where anyone with a legitimate question about computers  can ask and not worry about being ridiculed. I want this to be a plce where no question is considered dumb. Not all people are computer whizzes afterall. A few ground rules just to make sure that no toes are stepped on or laws violated. Ibrought up the suggestion with the mods and it hasn't warranted it's own section, but since all of us here have computers (obviously), why not have a thread at least.

1. Do not ask for key generators, cracks, hacks or copies of either in this thread. Breaking the law is bad. Getting this site shut down, worse. 29 000+ users will be upset.
2. No flaming someone about their question, remember there are no dumb questions.
3. No download links. This is to help prevent someone from getting malicious software on their system. If you have an information link post it, but NO download links.
4. No AMD VS Intel wars please. We each have our preferences, but remember it may not be the specific person who bought the system. Be polite.
5. Please do not post misleading information. If you're not not sure about something, say so. Better to be safe than sorry.
6. Any questions related to game help: "Where do I find X?" go in the Video Game section.

If anyone else has suggestions please feel to add them and I will add them to the rules. Remember, we're all friends here, let's help each other out. I want this thread to be a resource of information of issues that we may have experienced and resolved so other people can benefit.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2005, 08:10:35 AM by Brother Asreus »

Cthulhu for Pres in 2012!!! Why vote for the lesser of all evils?

Offline Inquisitor Yoda

• Small, Green & Spammish: Now with Extra Alcololz
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Where's the damn festive cheer?
    • Original Writings
Re: Tech Support Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 9, 2005, 11:13:46 AM »
Nice idea, but wouldn't this thread go better in the video games section as that's already got plenty of tech stuff in some threads already and it just seems like a place where it's gonna be free of any spam too.

That's right folks, ectoplasm, the force which keeps the sun orbiting around me. Learn it well.

Offline Brother Asreus

• Ancient
« Reply #2 on: August 9, 2005, 11:18:59 AM »
Well I figured I'd put it here since it's not a discussion, and it's for problems not for video games. Like when I had video card issues. If the mods think it would be better suited in the video games section then of course they can move it. For now since it's pretty general I'll leave it in the Tavern by the grace of Mods. LOL Thanks for the suggestion though Yoda.  :)

Offline Claw

• Just Call Me Claw!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 06:30:38 PM »
What or where can I find information on the newest XP compatible video cards, so I can see if they would be able to use to play Dawn Of War and Medieval Total War.

Offline Brother Asreus

• Ancient
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 11:15:51 AM »
Check the Dawn of War website to see about techincal specs and recommended video cards etc. The just go to your store's website and compare them. Also Dawn of War update notes or Read Me's will also contain graphic card compatability information.

Sorry for the late reply*  :-[

Offline Razyus

• I wish things got done
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Takes a long time to build a cathedral of hate
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 11:25:30 AM »
Uh, how do I set up my BT Yahoo internet connection to run through my Belkin ADSL MOdem with wireless G router (also a hub and normal Router), when I have no controll on my settings for it (so iot will only run through my THOMSON Speetouch 330 modem. Problem is I need to connect to the internet through the BELKIN crap, to set it up.

Oh and there is no socket for a modem and only one phoneline thing.
What sort of evil good for nothing bastard stares out a window, or ducks, or materialises during a bloody good game of cricket

Offline Brother Asreus

• Ancient
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 11:31:22 AM »
Most routers/modems can be logged into via Internet Explorer with a 192.168.X.X ip address. Am I correct in assuming that Yahoo is your internet service provider? Anyway, when you login to router there should be a setting for wireless/wired that you can check. Also check the Belkin manual on setting up an ADSL connection on it. Best place to start. If Yahoo is your ISP, see if they support Belkin modem/routers for their service. If they do you can contact their support desk for step by step instructions to get you connected properly.

Hope that helps. Let me know what you've done other than the steps above so I can better help.

Offline Razyus

• I wish things got done
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 12:48:43 PM »
Yeah, it won't let me access the router without connecting to the internet (using either internet explorer or BTYahoo Browser, I will try Firefox though).
What sort of evil good for nothing bastard stares out a window, or ducks, or materialises during a bloody good game of cricket

Offline Brother Asreus

• Ancient
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 12:52:17 PM »
If you can't access your router when it's connected to you pc then it's more than likely a problem with your router itself. When did you get your router? Is it new or used? If Firefox doesn't work, which I'm sure it won't, call Belkin tech support and explain it to them. they should be able to get you back online.

Offline Razyus

• I wish things got done
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 12:58:23 PM »
New, about a month ago, but only had a few days with it before I went on holiday.

Offline Brother Asreus

• Ancient
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 01:00:25 PM »
Belkin would be your first good stop. Talk to them. Do have any pets that might have knocked it down or people who might have toyed with it while you were away? People and pets, leading causes of computer malfunction. LOL Talk to Belkin support and see what they say. Make sure to tell them that you cannot log into the router itself.

Offline Razyus

• I wish things got done
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 07:19:19 AM »
When running a full screen program, the bottom quarter is cut of and put at the top (on monitor). Only happens on Codename Gordon, full screen Windows Media Player and delta force Land warrior.

Offline Brother Asreus

• Ancient
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 07:56:13 AM »
Is this a seperate issue? And the Land Warrior and Codename Gordon, are those games?

Offline Razyus

• I wish things got done
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 09:41:45 AM »
Yes seperate issue, games yes. The major problem is that roughly everything in full screen mode is buggered.

Offline Brother Asreus

• Ancient
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 10:20:10 AM »
Have you updated your video card drivers recently? That may solve the issue. Depending on the card you may also want to uninstall the old drivers, reboot and then install the latest ones after the reboot.

When did this start happening? I'm guessing when you got back from holidays? LOL You should put a lock on the computer. LOL

Did you get a chance to contact Belkin about your router issue? I'd like to know so if it ever happens again I can give a detailed answer.

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2005, 06:47:00 PM »
Right you guys, I got a little problem on my hands.  As some of you may or may not have picked up, I royally buggered my computer a few weeks ago.  Well, now I've got it working, however there's a problem with the keyboard in that it's not the one I'm used to.  Same keyboard but it seems to have taken a disliking to me ...  Basically call the characters and symbols have given me the run around.  When I want to create the (at) symbole, rather than having to hold shift and press the button two to the left of L, I have to hold shift and press 2.  So if I want a quotation mark, I get @, and if I want an @ I get ".  The entire top row is almost entirely different ...

Basically, how the hell do I get my keyboard back to normal?

Thanks in advance :)
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline Brother Asreus

• Ancient
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2005, 08:13:22 PM »
What are is your keyboard language set to? Also is a keyboard that may have come with specific software, like Logitech? If you need to know how to check keyboard language settings let me know.

Offline Samdan

• Cowboy, baby!
  • Ancient
  • Head... hurts... OH GOD! THE IDIOCY!
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2005, 10:40:52 PM »
Asreus has it exactly right, most likely.  You're typing as an american now.

American shift+#'s are (from 1-9, then 0):

!  @  #  $  %  ^  &  *  (  )

Quotations are shift+2 for brits, but shift+<button to the left of enter, 2 keys right of L).
Quote from: Barr'El O'Rum
You'd be a good man Lom, if it weren't for the dead kittens and shrunken heads of the elderly that you keep in the glovebox of your car.

Offline Scythe

• Flamer: Superiority Complex BANNED
  • Banned for flaming
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2005, 02:42:13 AM »
Asreus has it exactly right, most likely.  You're typing as an american now.

American shift+#'s are (from 1-9, then 0):

!  @  #  $  %  ^  &  *  (  )

Quotations are shift+2 for brits, but shift+<button to the left of enter, 2 keys right of L).
I didn't know that. I would have thought all keyboards were the same, how else do you teach people to type all across the world. Btw I've got the Shift+1-0 buttons.

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2005, 11:40:30 AM »
What are is your keyboard language set to? Also is a keyboard that may have come with specific software, like Logitech? If you need to know how to check keyboard language settings let me know.

It's probably set to American - I had to reinstall windows and the version the company provided with the computer didn't give me the option to select the type of keyboard.  !@#$%^&*() are my shift + no. functions, but I need to know how to set it to the British version.  It's not a software keyboard.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 11:51:01 AM by Falhandir »
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.