News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Shall I take 5 hellions in a 1000 pt army  (Read 723 times)

Offline shmee shmee

• I love the smell of napalm in the morning
Shall I take 5 hellions in a 1000 pt army
« on: April 27, 2005, 04:53:14 PM »
 Shall I take 5 hellions in a 1000 pt army for a quick striking force to tie the enemy in combat, cheers
it was harry...

Offline -bill-

• Haemonculus: 2007 London 40K Online RTT Champion
    • Pine Lodge IFAs
Re: Shall I take 5 hellions in a 1000 pt army
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 05:41:49 AM »
I'm going to be diplomatic. I wouldn't even play them in a 3,000 points list.

Whenever I played them in 3rd edition they weren't that great and now you can't shoot and assault (rapid fire weapon) I think they'r even worse. Given the points I'd usually rather take another warrior or wytch squad or a Talos

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 08:47:47 AM »
The only reason I take Hellions right now is to balance my carrying case.  I did make up a Wych Cult list that only has Wych units in it so I did add them to that one.  Their only use then was to add punch to Wych squads that got bogged down in HtH. 
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline Scorn

• Supreme Archon of Commorragh | Nasty Sky Juice | Title (and/or) Whore |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 05:37:47 PM »
For the points cost of 5 Hellions you could get a Haemonculi w/ jetbike, scissorhand, destructor, haywire grenades (just in case) and plasma grenades with a handful left over.  Frankly I'd expect more results from the characters as he could be protected by the IC targetting rules has a potentially power armour ignoring flamer template and 4 attacks on the charge.
Rejoice.  Despair. 
Fate does not care.
Each knotted mind entwined. 
Each soul another's bind.
And blind though we are led. 
In time we do know when, to cut a thread.
-Erfworld

Offline ArchonCryx

• Dracon Author of long replies
  • Ancient
  • Dracon: Kabal of the Bloodied Claw of Despair
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 09:17:22 AM »
Actually, in a time when Raiders are death traps, I have found my Hellions appearing more frequently in my lists, not less. I definitely would usew them in a 2000pt game, adding a Succubus with Punisher/TH/TR. Just remember... Hit n' Run! They also require support. Usually a warrior squad with Sybarite is adequate although more coommonly it will be Warp Beasts or Reavers, the onlythings n the army able to keep up quite that much speed.

When using my mixed footslogging armies with just 3 raiders, I tend to really value the Hellions for their movement bonus. Also their jink saves adds a little extra protection. It's saved my Hellion squad from a pinning test vs AP 1 Path Finders and has avoided many an ordinary shooting morale check by keeping casualties lighter. Hit N Run is the Gold, allowing you an extra charge on every turn you are in or can reach assault.

I love the models too, they are reallycool. Also my Succubconversion is cool, if I say so myself!
"As a rule of thumb, the designers do not hide "easter eggs" in the rules. If clever reading is required to unlock some sort of hidden option, then it is most likely just a result of wishful thinking." Pete Haines   ;)

Lords of Terra (Open) +High Lords (invitational)- Sydney July 24-25 2012, 1750pts, check lordsofterra.com

Offline Nuff

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 10:25:24 AM »
Shall I take 5 hellions in a 1000 pt army for a quick striking force to tie the enemy in combat, cheers
No for a few reasons:
a) Hellions are, IMO, worse for the points than wyches and bikes both...
b) I never take odd # sized units if I can help it, even is better. :)