News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Eldar Codex  (Read 386101 times)

Offline President Stewie

• Damn you you vile harpy!
Re: New Eldar Codex
« Reply #40 on: March 7, 2004, 11:07:06 AM »
I still remember the RT-Avatar...

Yeah, me too. I've actually got an original Avatar and although it's a nice mini, Jes Goodwin's work, it's just not impressive enough in it's scale.

If extreme plans means the kind of improvement we saw from the RT Avatar to the Avatar we all know (and don't use) then I for one can't wait to see what they do. I doubt I'll be getting many of the new models (if there are any), maybe just the guardians.

D.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Go here and join, it's great!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mini_Painting/

Kids, here's a little message from your Uncle Billy. Don't buy drugs ....... become a rock star and they give you them for free!!!

Offline Draza

• Ancient
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2004, 01:43:32 AM »
They only just remodelled the Eldar minatures like 4 years ago. Hopefully any new changes won't force me to buy everything again. It's a bit weird using models that don't suit the style of the army.
Eg Old warriors with bone swords in a updated Tyranid swarm. They just don't seem to fit the army's look

Offline Khaiell

• Cytadela.pl
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2004, 03:18:20 AM »
IMHO the Eldar are fully "backwards-compatible". My army consists of miniatures from all editions of 40k and they all fit together nicely, including RT Eldar musicians next to the new Dire Avengers.

Fortunately no one challenges the original Jes Goodwin's concept. 80s miniatures have all the details distinguishable in the current Eldar line:
RT Command Group

The only things that changed are the shuriken cannon ammo-feed and the lack of a visible chainmail-like mesh armour (the latter change came long ago with the 2nd ed. plastic guardians)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 03:21:19 AM by Khaiell »
"Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know"

Offline Fable

• Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
    • The Ever War
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2004, 12:53:33 PM »
Currently the 4th edition codecies are each 64 pages with the exception of Chaos which is 80 pages and supposedly the upcoming codex SMurfs will be 80 pages as well.  Any thoughts on whether the Eldar will be gifted with an 80 page dex, or left to a measily 64 pages?
Why Kate, You're not wearin' a bussell.  How lewd.

Offline RedTwo

• Conversion Exarch
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2004, 08:06:00 AM »
I am much more concerned about the quality rather than the quantity.  GW can make the codex 20 pages just as long as they give me a good army.

Now, that stated, I already think the Eldar are a great army... so I'm just worried about GW screwing them up  :-\  The less they change, the happier I'll be.
Over specialization builds in weakness.

Offline Phantomime

• The BEasT wHat LIcKED Me
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2004, 02:06:37 PM »
Come on warp spiders with flamer templates!  ;D
"Say hello to Mr. Yellow.."

Offline BurntToast

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2004, 11:25:50 PM »
First off I want to say I do love my eldar, but facing so many has said "SMurfs" gets annoying.

I would like to see:

-The Court of the young king become something more than a redicuslousy pricy unit. As it stands the court is not effective in the biel tan craft world, way way to slow.
-Craftworlds have more varience like the SM chapters.
-The Swooping Hawks be more powerful for their cost (fluff says the Eldar lasblasters ar much better than the imp guard ones, well they certianly arn't in the rules, they are the same thing)
-Warp Spiders get some ap on their guns.
-Dire advengers uped a bit to be eilite (better armour perhaps)
-Up the cost of the wriathlord (fine I will admit he is a god, more god then the avatar will ever be :S)
-Fire Prisim and Falcon become better than the wave serpent which is much cheaper.
-Shining spears cost less than a terminator, and become atleast able to kill a ork.

The biggest thing I deffinitaly want to see, is for eldar skimmers to have more advancded rules. For advanced tech, over the Space marines they are no different. They should be able to move 24, shot once, or decembark. As it stands in my Biel tan army, glancing hits aren't much better than pens, it can still get imobolised, and if it gets shot down (which is very likely) my 200 point aspect warrior squad is in the middle of no where...

Basically I am tired of Eldar getting out gunned by space marine armies that some how have better technology and units then eldar:P

Ah yes, the imp guard did get their codex redone, so it is not so unlikly that Eldar do not aswell..
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 11:41:54 PM by BurntToast »
It is the early bird who gets the worm... but the secound mouse who gets the cheese.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2004, 04:22:37 AM »
I would like to see:
-The Swooping Hawks be more powerful for their cost (fluff says the Eldar lasblasters ar much better than the imp guard ones, well they certianly arn't in the rules, they are the same thing)
    Umm... Did you actually read the stats for these two guns? The Lasblasters is vastly superior, especially for a troops as mobile as the Hawks!

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline BurntToast

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2004, 12:49:19 PM »
Same everything except for number of shots and Ap....
oh joy the AP is only a factor for orks, the assualt is good, but other than that, the strength isn't hurting much, and the range doesn't matter becuase of mobility.

So considering at 24" range you could have:
1 swooping hawk with 2 shots hitting with maybe one or 2 shots...solid armour save OR
4 imp guard with 4 shots, hitting with likly 2 of them and t-shirt save...

results in one dead hawk and most likly one dead guardsmen.... who is 5 points.....

I would take the guardsmen anyday, they are expendable, get much better at 12".

So no I disagree the hawk is not superior with the exception of mobility, but what is mobilty going to do for you with 24" range. Why wouldn't I read the rules.
The weapon is better obviously, but not in the hands of the hawk.
It is the early bird who gets the worm... but the secound mouse who gets the cheese.

Offline Phantomime

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2004, 07:35:05 PM »
have you played guard with hawks? 1stly your totally forgetting the exarch, who, like the spiders, can basicly MAKE the squad.. 2ndly um, assualt vs rappid fire means you will very likly out shoot them unless they have full squads or hv weaps (which you should be taking into cosideration before you think of shoting them). stats wise hawks have the edge over guard in alot of ways. assualt weapons are godly over rapid fire especially the hawk weapon which basicly, with moving, can shoot 36", deep strke the hawks and place an ord template on that guard group and watch as you get atleast half your hawk squads pts back for doing no more than putting them on the table.. hawks are fine.

Personally I would like something done about the shining spears, as is, the fluff is true, the are the rarest unit in eldar armies; why? cause THEY dont realy do anything. The exarch does, but you could buy a nice waveserpent for the pts and have a tonne left to spare.. ???

Offline magusx316

• lets kill them all so god will know his own
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2004, 12:23:39 AM »
The eldar will I bet get 80 pages, with the new rules for screening comeing out we are screwed you will be able to shooot throgh squads on a leader ship test, what I think is thay will make a big book of eldar, eldar,dark eldar and perhaps harleys and if we ar lucky exodites, crone world eldar and a corsair list now that would rock

Offline Draza

• Ancient
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2004, 06:13:24 AM »
On the note of 80pg codex's, why does fantasy get all these big cool codexe's, and were left with the smaller ones. It's not fair, i read the books to fast

Offline Flag-Lieutenant Charles Thanas

• Talk to me for Haven-class Spire or Autarch rules!
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2004, 04:35:37 PM »
I just had a job shadow (for my graduation project. I got /graded/ to go hang out with the miniatures for a day. heh) at my local store. We did inventory and stuff, and were reordering, and the manager learned a few things.

New Eldar Codex is due late winter/early spring 2005
Wave Serpent will accompany it

New Tyranid and Ork Codices around about the same time

New Genestealers in April 2005

New SMurf codex is the next out. (duh)

Oh, and based on the information posted on the website, I'd say that statlines will remain EXACTLY THE SAME. They'll add rules, but I don't think the stats or points will change at all. It's too bad, too, I really wanted cheaper bikes.
Flag-Lieutenant Charles Thanas

Battlecruiser JANUS - Cadian 501st/175th Elite Shock/Light, Battlegroup Crucifix, Battlefleet Obscuras

Formerly known as Acelor

Offline RedTwo

• Conversion Exarch
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2004, 04:55:19 PM »
New Eldar Codex is due late winter/early spring 2005
Wave Serpent will accompany it

New Tyranid and Ork Codices around about the same time

It seems highly unlikely that three different codices will come out that close togther.  We've never seen it before.  There are usually several months between releases.  The only thing even remotely comes close to this kind of release schedule was when the second printing of Codex: Dark Eldar and Codex: Dark Angel Space Marines were release at about the same time.  However, those were only reprintings that added Chapter Approved changes to an existing army lists and not redos.

GW has stated that the "rough draft" for the codex releases after 4ed will be Space Marines, Tyranids, Orks and Eldar.  While that sequence is not carved in stone, I'm fairly certain we can expect about 4 to 6 months to go by between each release.  It's what we normally see from GW development.
Over specialization builds in weakness.

Offline Phantomime

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2004, 06:21:31 PM »
i hope your not right redtwo, but you probubly are. heh, and just knowing they are comming out with the pastic serpent, well that makes life alittle better.. no more cold depressing thoughts of spending like 80$ for a transport (when every other races is like 30$) and when for ~140$ you can get you a phoenix! that said I will likly still get the forgeworld turret.. owiee.

Offline BurntToast

« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2004, 06:27:39 PM »
I was actually disproved today by a swordwind player that won conflict montreal I think it was last year.
This is in response about the singing spears being "rare"

I'll be the first to admit, the actualy "spears" are useless, what you want is the exarch.

3 spears, skillfull rider, brightlance,evade
Total: 200 points about
A vyper with bright lance and holo field: about 90 points (you need to have atleast a holo field, or else you are getting smoked by a pistol.

By itself, the spear exarch will hit twice as often as the vyper (4+ as opposed to 2+), And after that, try taking down a 3 man squad of 3+ armour saves, and then the exarch with a 2+ invunerable.

The guy I talked to said that in most games it took out its points worth, (which means only really needing to take out a large tank on average, although he said it took out 2 which is slightly....) and the rest of the time, he blasted units to get them below 50% strength for victory points.
This is not to mention chargin, which on the first turn is still trouble....

I'll admit, before the guy said it to me like that, I would rather take a 20 point grot over these guys...well almost:P

And about the hawks agian, I took rapid fire into account, meaning the guardsmen only took one shot, meaning, they can be even better than in my example. And considering the hawks best feature is taking out guardsmen, and the guardsmens best feature is cannon fodder, the guardsmen still have one up on the hawk then.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 06:34:46 PM by BurntToast »

Offline BurntToast

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2004, 06:40:10 PM »
Agreed about the forge world tank...
(Canadian dollars)
I decided to buy one, I didn't think it would be to bad,
but after duty, shipping and handleing, money transfer stuff ect. mine cost me 130+ $....

My local store is selling a video about how to make scenery for 36 bucks CND.
Its like an hour, of which 40 mins is about trains and 20 about trees, and flock ect.....

I can't wait for the plastic wave serpent, the 2 I converted are ugly like....well nothing really does compare..

Offline shinzon

• Newest
  • Remember to clean your White Hand of Saruman
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2004, 12:46:49 PM »
wow even im starting to consider the shining spears but then im not sure what ill be doing with my aspects in a strike force

if only farseers had psychic power syphilus
The squirrel, standing atop a mountain shook his flute in defiance, only to realise that much of his pipe weed has fallen to the bottom. For hours he cursed "You TNUC, I'LL RIP YOUR NIPPLES OFF!"

And thats about it really.

Ay Keeky, Keeky La More?  why you do this to me?
Whadya mean?
You ruina my pimpin businnes, why?
I canna take it any more, working in Beccles is too much!

Offline Phantomime

« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2004, 06:37:53 PM »
3 spears, skillfull rider, brightlance,evade
Total: 200 points about
A vyper with bright lance and holo field: about 90 points (you need to have atleast a holo field, or else you are getting smoked by a pistol.

By itself, the spear exarch will hit twice as often as the vyper (4+ as opposed to 2+), And after that, try taking down a 3 man squad of 3+ armour saves, and then the exarch with a 2+ invunerable.

ok, think you should take another peek at the codex unless your pulling your numbers from somewhere else, nothing the eldar have has a 2+invul. nuttin. but that's not the point. the viper IMO is better with a starcannon (because of the crappy BS) and a CTM, be a bastard, move it up with in range and park it behind some cover, then just pop out, shoot and pop back in 0% chance for damage unless they have indirect fire or deep striking troops, or you get lazy. (also, again the vypers numbers are off :P)

As for the Spears, totally true about the exarch and shooting, that lance is probubly THE safest, most reliable, and flexible, unguided hv weapon the eldar have. that said if your playing against necrons its a  waste of points. my biggest gripe about them is that without the exarch they get 1 good charge with next to no AP value and then they are stuck. 3-5 S5 Sparce Marines basicly. if the lance had an AP of 2 or 3 off the charge it would atleast make sence for their scary pts cost, and actually make them somewhat useful (but still tricky, like all good eldar things).  If the new codex changes anything, I hope they change that. ofcourse if they made the LL into a S5 power weap. I wouldnt mind that either ;D

Offline BurntToast

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2004, 09:37:43 PM »
Sorry some numbers were sketchy, off the top of head... useless thing, the exarch has a 3+ inv save, the squad costs 205, and the vyper 85.
I agree with the AP 2 or power weapon (if power weapon, still keep the initial charge stuff)

However I am not sure what kinda boards you play on, but even in the ones in my local store/battle bunker don't have cover at the right intervals to keep you safe, or its just not big enough cover (you can just as easily get shot in the side facing most armies, unless the cover is at the very back of the board..which is unlikly). Basically in my experience CTM has never worked for me...wish it would, but alas.

Aswell well if you want a bright lance in your army (I sure do), it is either hitting on a 4+ or its in your singing spear squad, so you can't exactly say I usually use vypers with a star cannon (although I do aswell), just because with the exception of twin linked on a wave, the bright is only ever getting a 4+ to hit.

I still entirly agree like I said about a lower ap/power weapon, because obviously the way I said about using them is not even close to being fluff related.

One other fluff note, I like how in the codex it says Dire Avengers are supreme (I believe thats the exact word) masters of the catapult.... hehe hitting on 3+.
Sounds more like they should be carring around shuriken cannons, and able to move shoot if they are so masterful. That at least is my reading as +1 bs is not suddenly leaping from point shoot knowledge to masters. (ie maybe they should be able to carry catapults, but fire at 24")