News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: "Bad Blood" : GAME thread  (Read 3661 times)

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
"Bad Blood" : GAME thread
« on: May 20, 2004, 08:56:10 PM »
This is the thread that will be used for posting all the Intents, Reasons and Counter-Reasons for the Bad Blood online campaign.

Rules for the game can be found here

Turn Order:

1. Larandil   (Inquistor + Fallen)
2. Marb'ailtor  (Imperial Guard)
3. Tomblord  (Dark Angels)
4. Wraith Dragon (Space Wolves)

Notes:

Spotting the enemy
- Spotting the enemy for the first time: This must be done with an Intent, unless the enemy has already made its presence obvious with its own actions (i.e shooting at the player's forces, flying overhead in dropships, shouting and waving, etc...) Players cannot move their forces into an area near where the enemy are located and take it for granted that they spot them, though they can use an Intent to move and try to spot the enemy (eg "My troops head for the ruined city to scout for the enemy") This only applies to the first time though, as after this troops on all sides will be more alert.

Movement
- Moving: This must obviously be done with Intents, and both sides can give Reasons and Counter Reasons to try to increase/decrease how effective the movement is. Most likely these Reasons/Counter Reasons will make use of the area terrain, but other factors can apply. Umpires may choose to tell you specifically how far you can travel when they give their Result for the movement Intent, but that's up to them - sometimes, you'll decide for yourself (which of course must be based on the Reasons/Counter Reasons and the kind of Result you get.). 

- If your partner agrees, you can make a joint-movement with both forces moving together. This is just to speed up the story. Both players can do this consecutively if they want.

- There's no need to write up each and every movement action individually, they can be 'saved' to combine them with actions in the next turn(s). This again is to speed up the story, there's no point in having loads of short posts describing various soldiers moving though various terrain. Naturally all movement must be written up at some point.

Turn time
Each Intent should really be for an action that won't take longer than 3 hours. For actions that take longer, use multiple Intents. This is to keep players roughly in the same timeframe.

In combat situations though, Intents should be for actions that will take 30 minutes or less.

THE MAP

It's rough, so here's a quick guide to terrain:

- The standard terrain is fairly flat with sub-tropical vegetation - long grass and occasional bushes and trees. This is the dark green 'backround'.

- The two jungle areas both have dense undergrowth and very tall trees. The jungle canopy is very thick, so it is quite dark inside.

- The yellow-green areas in the north-west and south-east are marsh-lands.

- The central lake is several hundred feet deep.

- The city in the centre is ruined. Buildings are in various states of decay, and note that the map does not show exact locations, the 'buildings' are just representative. Also, half of the ruined city is over-grown where the jungle has invaded.

- The central large building is the temple that the Inquisitor is looking for.

HOW TO START

- The Chaotics (Larandil and Marb'ailtor) can enter the map from any map edge. They can enter in their ships or on foot, as they choose.

- The Imperials enter via any corner of the map. They are assumed to have made planet-fall some distance away, and so they don't come in their dropships.

- Make sure to include plenty of back-story (both from my intro and from your own invention) in the opening posts when the written part is to be done! The story needs to make sense. =)

So, as soon as Larandil is ready he can state his first Intent. When it's resolved I'll make another thread for the written bit.

Offline Larandil

Re: "Bad Blood" : GAME thread
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 08:26:44 AM »
(Okay: this Intent is based on several assumptions. The planet is about Earth's size, the upper side of the map is North, and the sun rises in the East ... )

Intent:
The lander containing Inquisitor Spengler's group will approach the site just after dawn from the East, with the sun in their back. The lander will pass over the site at 250 meters and perform a full sensor scan of the area and its surroundings.
If the site appears to be abandoned, the Cadians will receive clearance to land and establish a defensive perimeter at least ten kilometers away from the large structure to the west of the ruins. Exact deployment is left to their colonel who knows best how to use his troops for effect.
In that case, Spenglers' lander will perform an U-turn over the lake and go down halfway between the lake shore and the structure.

Reasons:
Moving at 250 meters should keep the lander way out of weapons range for ground troops while not leaving white trails in the sky.

At 250 meters on an Earth-like Planet, the horizon is about 56 kilometers away; the lander's sensors should pick up tanks and similar vehicles up to this distance, unless they're at long range and shielded by hills or forests.

We're in a contested system with an Imperial warfleet besiegeing the next planet; hostile forces could be gathered at this site. If it's Imperials Spengler can still play the Inquisition trump card; that won't work with the locals, however.
Too much Mon-Keigh business
for me to be involved in!

Offline The Bladesinger

• Foul-mouthed Monkeigh - BANNED
  • Real eyes realize real lies
    • Project Starfall
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 10:53:39 AM »
This looks fun, pity I missed the sign-up.

BANNED for excessive use of foul language.

Offline The Slann

• Are you sure?
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 11:58:26 AM »
Counter Reasons
The ship is large and Marine senses are augmented so they will have a good chance of spotting the ship
The Marines are advancing and will not be included in the area of the scan.
They are aware and looking for signs of trouble

Offline Lomendil

• Ancient
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 06:44:02 PM »
Intent: Just to clarify, Marb'ailtor will have to use an Intent to land and deploy his troops; that isn't included as part of this Intent, just the order from the Inquisitor to do so. =)

Spotting the Marines/ Being spotted by the Marines: This depends hugely on where the Marines are and what they are doing. As the location and actions of the Marines have not yet been stated in the game, they are currently unknowns. I'm going to rule that the Marines cannot be detected and cannot detect the Chaotics until it the Marines' location and actions are stated. This will almost certainly be stated in Tomb-Lord and Wraith Dragon's turns, when their forces move in from one of the map-corners. Thus, any Reasons or Counter-Reasons that relied on spotting/being spotted by the Marines are to be ignored until the Marines arrive.

RESULT

I'll talk through this one, but later ones will be briefer, I'll just give the Result.

OK, I assigned a 80% chance of success to the Intent. It's very likely to succeed as there isn't really anything to stop them, but there could be complications - sensor reading distorted due to heat reflections, landing site unsuitable, etc etc, basically just stuff that could delay the Intent.

The roll was 69, so the Intent was successful. Then for the roll to see what type of Result it was, an 11. So this is just an ordinary Success.

Offline Marb'ailtor

• The Red Daemon
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 03:07:04 PM »
[ooc] just to clarify, my IG originate from the planet Valkyria.  Thus instead of Cadians you may refer to them as Valkyrians.  Thanx, I appreciate it! [/ooc]

Intent:
Shortly after the order is given, 21 Valkyrian Jumpships descend to their appointed positions:
Command , 2 Infantry & 1 Hvy Wpns platoons land on island
2 Sentinel Squadrons, Veteran & 1 infantry platoon in N jungle
2 Sentinel Squadrons, 2 Infantry & 2 Hvy Wpn platoons in S jungle
3 Infantry & 2 Hvy Wpn platoons on W perimeter of ruins
All Jumpships, Techpriest, 2 Infantry platoons in clearing above ruins but below N jungle (get all that?)

Reasons:
These are professionally trained drop troops, they know how to deploy on a perimeter in many different terrain types.

Command Platoon's Master Comm makes sure everyone checks in and is on time, on target.

Besides the drop troops, the navy pilots have worked with this regiment and have trained with them for the entirety of their careers; they know how to perform rapid deployment operations and land in rough terrain.
I am the Red Daemon, the spinner of tales and stories.  Come, sit, and hear of great heroes of old and of heroes to come.  If you like, I'll turn even you into a hero.  Just try not to get killed along the way, hehehe.

Offline Lomendil

• Ancient
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2004, 06:25:37 PM »
Marb, you posted on the story thread without knowing what the Result of the Intent was!!! That's actually cheating. You must wait for the opponent to have given Counter-Reasons and for the Umpire to resolve the turn so that you know what can happen. That's the whole point of the Intent system. I won't delete your story post, but you may need to edit it extensively depending on what happens with the Imperial players' Counter Reasons and the Result.

http://www.eldaronline.com/community/index.php?topic=66424.0

Offline Marb'ailtor

• The Red Daemon
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2004, 09:39:23 PM »
sorry about that, I don't know why I didn't think about that.  (guess it's all the excitement over the start of this campaign)  In any case, it won't happen again  ;D
I am the Red Daemon, the spinner of tales and stories.  Come, sit, and hear of great heroes of old and of heroes to come.  If you like, I'll turn even you into a hero.  Just try not to get killed along the way, hehehe.

Offline Lomendil

• Ancient
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2004, 10:00:27 PM »
Well, I suppose I can't complain about over-enthusiasm. ;) If Tomblord or Wraith Dragon don't post up some Counters tomorrow the Intent will automatically succeed so you won't have to change a thing.

Offline Wargamer

• Codex King, Field Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Guess what I've been doing!
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004, 06:23:29 AM »
[ooc] just to clarify, my IG originate from the planet Valkyria.  Thus instead of Cadians you may refer to them as Valkyrians.  Thanx, I appreciate it! [/ooc]

*cough*ripoff*cough*

Codex: Valkyre

These are professionally trained drop troops...

Hmm...
The Valkyre guard regiments are a skilled airborne assaults...

Now all you need is to say your Valkyrians are from a Gas Giant... which also serves as a trading post... and you've completely stolen my army!

Was a General of the Imperial Guard, now more of a freelance Captain sort of thing. Ish. Keeping the rank pins though, they look nice.

EOdex Harlequin Player, now and always.
Death to the fake Harlequins!

"Let's make some mischief!"
-175th Galetonian.

Offline Larandil

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2004, 07:02:03 AM »
Now all you need is to say your Valkyrians are from a Gas Giant... which also serves as a trading post... and you've completely stolen my army!

You know ... there are very few compliments as heart-felt as a blatant rip-off ... ;)

Offline The Slann

• Are you sure?
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2004, 12:00:45 PM »
It is kinda hard to get counter reasons for that, anyhow...

The Guard are unlikely to be spot on target. The men deploying on the island will have a hard time not landing in the water, and the ones deploying into the trees will probably get stuck in branches.

That's all I could think of.

Offline Lomendil

• Ancient
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2004, 06:51:24 PM »
Allright, the result was a plain Success, so the original story post can stand.

Next up, Tomblord's turn.

Offline Marb'ailtor

• The Red Daemon
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2004, 11:58:38 PM »
*sighs releaved while wiping sweat off brow*

Offline The Slann

• Are you sure?
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2004, 11:56:52 AM »
Intent:

The Dark Angels will move on from the South-Western corner of the map (assuming up to be north). They will move swiftly up the field towards the cover of the trees. The landspeeders will stay behind the trees while the bikes skirt around the Western side.

Reasons
The Dark Angels are a very patient and cautious chapter, able to hold back, thus the landspeeders will not be compelled to go charging off towards the enemy.

The bike riders are very well trained, able to keep sufficiently away from the trees to avoid collision

Inspired by the leadership and firey speeches of the Chaplain, the bike riders are eager to get stuck into the enemy

Offline Larandil

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2004, 02:40:31 AM »
Counterreasons:
- The Dark Angels know they are in competition against their ancient rivals, the Space Wolves. What if this wild bunch hits first on whatever there is?

- The massed amount of bikes charging over the open ground will cause all sorts of animals to run away from them, causing a wake of fleeing beasts and birds taking to the sky. Spoiling the bikers' chances for a stealthy approach.

- For the time being, the Dark Angels know of no hostile presence at the ruins.

I'm at a loss here. The landspeeders will not be compelled to go charging because the Dark Angels are such a very patient and cautious chapter, but at the same time the Chaplain inspires the bikers from the same chapter with firey speeches so they want to make enemy contact ASAP?

Offline Dark Flame

• I messed with the wrong farseers AGAIN, yet somehow became an unactive Mod
  • Ancient
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2004, 08:32:57 PM »
  I'm with Larandil here, that last part kind of contradicts itself.  Now, I see that there is a decent chance of this being sucessful, but not stealthy, or that well done, so I'll give this a 70% percent chance of success.  The result comes out a 78, so this action fails.  A 62 was rolled for the second die, so the rest is a regular Failure.

Offline Lomendil

• Ancient
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2004, 07:12:41 PM »
Tomblord, you need to re-write the end of your story post please, as it breaks a rule that I stated earlier at the start of the first post on this thread, namely:

"Spotting the enemy
- Spotting the enemy for the first time: This must be done with an Intent, unless the enemy has already made its presence obvious with its own actions (i.e shooting at the player's forces, flying overhead in dropships, shouting and waving, etc...) Players cannot move their forces into an area near where the enemy are located and take it for granted that they spot them, though they can use an Intent to move and try to spot the enemy (eg "My troops head for the ruined city to scout for the enemy") This only applies to the first time though, as after this troops on all sides will be more alert. "

The enemy hasn't made itself obvious to you. My wording on the dropships in that paragraph was probably misleading, so it's at least partly my fault. Yes, the IG are flying around in dropships but none have flown directly over your position (which is really what I should have said originally). If you want to spot them then you'll have to use an Intent next turn.

Offline Lomendil

• Ancient
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2004, 09:47:42 PM »
Nicely done, Tomblord! Now fpr Wraith Dragon's turn.

Offline Wraith Dragon

• Eldar will slaughter all who stand!
« Reply #19 on: June 1, 2004, 08:11:11 PM »
Intent:

The Space Wolves will move in from the South Western corner and move towards the jungle tree line on the most South Western part of the jungle in Rhinos, with the scouts moving NE towards the jungle and in.

Reasons:

"They are traveling on flat plain like terrain, making it easy for them to move across in the Rhinos"
"They are moving along without interaction with the Dark Angels and are a fair distance away"
"The Rune Priest has given strict ordres to control their fury towards the Dark Angels under penalty of sever punishment"