News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Starting Dark Eldar  (Read 1036 times)

Offline - Human

Starting Dark Eldar
« on: February 12, 2003, 04:41:38 PM »
Hey everyone, i play Fantasy but im trying out 40K.... the dark eldar just look too cool (and i already play dark elves).

I'm really attracted to a drachon with incubi retinue in a transport, and the rest all foot sloggers with dark lances or transport squads with assault weapons.

Are scourges effective??? ::)
- Barely breathing, Minus Human, come squeeze the world and drip it down my throat again

Offline mcguiggan

• I *Love* EldarOnline!
Re:Starting Dark Eldar
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 04:46:18 PM »
YES

They can deepstrike even if the rules do not allow it.

I have had Scourges deepstrike and take out lots of things including.  FULL IG Squads, Dreadnoughts, Rhinos, Basalisks and MUCH MUCH more.  They usually do not live much past that but hey they do their job.

Offline ProdigalIncubus

• An Incubus on WAY too many Drugs
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 05:16:04 PM »
DE are a really fun race to play! Good choice! ;D

The best use i've found with the scourges is 4 SC's and Sybarite w/ terrorfex. This squad usually can end up doing quite well against low armored troops had has a good chance of pinning even Space Marines. Although if you decide to take the chance of getting close enough to use the terrorfex and fail, this squad will suffer so it might be best to reserve scourges against low armored troops.

Horrorfex's are the real pinners for DE, popping them on raiders are great (Range 18" really helps). Use Ravagers for your disinigrator supply. Im sure you already read a bunch of strategies here on EO which are pretty good. But you'll get the best advice from some of the taticka guru's that lurk these forums. Best of luck!
Inucbi work for me!

Offline Archon_Drenwik

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 07:39:31 PM »
get lots and lots of raider for your warriors. they shouldent footslog in less there snipe squads

Offline Quentith

• What else would you expect?
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2003, 08:27:32 PM »
yes, DE are a worthwhile investment. Also If you find they're somewhat hard to play at first, dont be too discouraged. I had some major problems learning how to play them, but once i figured it out i can whoop on any of my friends ( except their darn necron!)
The real reason to collect Dark Eldar - if they fall on the floor the sharp bits hurt when your opponent steps on them

Offline Archon_Drenwik

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2003, 08:30:10 PM »
why cant you beat necrons

do you have enuff disenagrators

Offline - Human

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2003, 09:16:15 PM »
for some reason.... dark lances appeal to me like nothing else. For some reason i want to pack my army full of them!!!!!! ;D ;D

I hear theyre effective versus marines, and...let's face it, i know that the vast majority of 40k players play marines of some chapter. Are dark lances a good investment? i know for sure i'm taking a sniper squad. :)
- Barely breathing, Minus Human, come squeeze the world and drip it down my throat again

Offline Blood Archon

• Archon Sanguinius
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2003, 03:34:03 AM »
Welcome to EO!

Take it from me (the one who has too few DLs in his army >:(), life sucks when you don't have too many tankbustaz (sorry gotta love Ork spelling!). But you do not want to overdo it. Maybe half your warriors are snipers, the other half Raider squads (splinter cannon and blaster included) that actually use the paper-with-reinforced-tinfoil Raider armor (sorry, no getting around it).

-BA
DE Pickup Lines:
Would you like to be... err, SEE my trophy rack?
I would be honored if you would sample my agoniser.
I will have my Incubi punish YOU if you do not come with me.
Don't you think I'm hot in this hellmask?

Offline Azurious

• Its all about the fun ^^
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2003, 03:45:49 AM »
i came to 40k the same way (i still enthusiasticly play dark elves) the dark eldar are great but i would advise taking a mix of both ark lances and splinter cannons depending on your opponant
+++signal ends+++

Offline Archon_Drenwik

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2003, 06:40:59 AM »
 heres my 3000 pt army. it is the perfect balance

6 raider squads with 10x warriors, 1 being a splinter cannon and 1 a blaster. all the raiders have darklances/

mounted rettinu with a disinagrator

2 mounted wychsquads wit distinagrators

mounted grostesk(Sp.) with a disinagrator

talos

4 splinter cannon scourge squad

and a 6 person rever squad with two blasters

thats the basis of my army amd i showed it to you so you can see the perfect mix of dark lances to disinagrators to splinter cannons. i usslly only lose with this army when i roll really bad its very ballanced. unfoutunattly i cant always play the whole army due to lack of big opponents

Offline Knubelius

• Not for Glory or wealth, but for pure wickedness
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2003, 11:53:43 AM »
You might consider to play a wych cult, though then you cant use incubis....
One who has fought and defeated the tirst of slaanesh

Offline Blood Archon

• Archon Sanguinius
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2003, 12:30:28 PM »
He'd have a small army anyway, but Wych Cult isn't much for beginners (less DLs and such). Plus he seems to want a shooty army. ::)
DE Pickup Lines:

Offline - Human

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2003, 03:23:14 PM »
yeah i do want a shooty army... Not sit back and shoot, but run around and shoot, with a few assault units. Sorry but i'm turned off wyches, they don't appeal to me at all. Same reason i don't take witch elves in my DE army ::).

Another question.... how good is the talos? I hear it's good against tanks and dreadnoughts and such, but if i already have a decent # of dark lances should i still take one? This is a small army, probably at or under 1000pts. All i know is, the talos LOOKS  cool. ;)

Offline Archon Volen Nightbane

• Pray they never take you alive...
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2003, 03:52:34 PM »
Welcome to Commoragh!

For the cost of 100 pts, the Talos ROCKS!

But that's my opinion. If not played through a WWP, the Talos is generally too slow, and at 1000 pts, you'll probally be better off feilding another sniper squad at that amount, but, on the other hand, since you do want a shooty army, they're great for going to deal with close combat units that can really, really, really get on your nerves. *cough* Wraiths *cough* Its a possible 7 attacks launched off from one platform that is a strength of 7, with 3 wounds, and can take a beating from long range equipment.

At the moment, I'd stick with Ravagers and Scourges for a shooty army, and as needed, feild the Talos.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2003, 03:53:14 PM by Archon Drevan »
"Death is an art, learn it well, and you may survive to see the next day."

"Every time a Mon-keigh screams, a Raider gets its Scythes."

"The scent of flames, the remains of shattered bodies... the invigorating release! Ah... what it is to be evil..."

Offline Blood Archon

• Archon Sanguinius
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2003, 09:31:31 PM »
A heavy support wing consisting of 2 Ravagers w/Disintegrators+ a couple Raiders w/DLs and a sniper squad should leave room for a cheap HQ (like hamonculus). If that has appeal to you, the army is fast, has a little (not much) CC ability, and has overkill firepower, enough to destroy a lot even with bad dice.

-BA
DE Pickup Lines:

Offline Cambyses

• One Badass Penguin!
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2003, 09:39:28 PM »
The nice thing about the Talos is the obscene amount of firepower it seems to absorb. Granted, it isn't the fastest unit on the board but in today's game against IG, I was still able to get my Talos into the enemy's deployment zone after coming on as a reserve in turn two (without a Portal). :o

I play mostly shooty too but I still love that big bug! ;D Today, he only killed one squad and destroyed the weapon from an Immolator, but he caused a LOT of distraction.
'take only prisoners, leave only corpses'

Offline ProdigalIncubus

• An Incubus on WAY too many Drugs
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2003, 09:40:41 PM »
Honestly the Talos is the best 3 Wound model for 100 Points in the game. Draws fire, can handle almost any kind of assault, and makes a great center deployed unit for cleanse missions and such.

My Kabal uses 2 of the "sniper squads" and 2 Raider squads. I think that's a good bases if you want a shooty and still assaultish army, then you can throw in what you want from there, ie. incubi, wyches, talos, ravager.
Inucbi work for me!

Offline - Human

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2003, 10:44:23 PM »
ProdigalIncubus, that's some very good advice... It's basically what i want in my force. On top of that I think I'll add a drachon with incubi retinue and talos if need be. Sounds like a fun force! Would it perform well?

Offline Bryan

• The souls of ememies are mine...
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2003, 09:19:51 PM »
VERY EFFECTIVE.  buy ravagers to help defend your foot sloggers.  Also get a Talos to distract fire from your  Dark Lances, Your men will move up while our enemy fires at them.  Or use a WWP.
Blood will be spilt sooner than others think...