News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: trying to find some terrain bits.  (Read 658 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
trying to find some terrain bits.
« on: April 29, 2020, 08:24:25 PM »
I'm trying to find something to use as an ornamental plinth, something that might sit in the middle of a fountain, or even on its over that I could put a statue on. Just trying to find some cheap nicnac or toy that doesn't look terrible, looking for around 25mm wide.

Alternatively, looking for a good looking fountain, but no larger than 60mm.

Trying to find some decorative pillars kind of like the Roman pillars, about 10 cm (4 inches) tall. Seems there are some options in cake decorations, but just seeing if someone has found some other options.

I've had a look at some of the DIY things out there, but my DIY stuff tend to turn out like Homer's spice rack :)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: trying to find some terrain bits.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 05:57:58 AM »
There are some good looking roman ruins/pillars that are produced for fish tank use. Other than that I can't think of anything. Looking on the internet 3D printing would seem to be a popular choice.
« Last Edit: May 1, 2020, 06:34:25 AM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 06:26:27 PM »
I know the hobby stores are closed right now, but if you go to Hobby Lobby or Big Lots over in the fairy garden section you can find stuff that fits the warhammer scale pretty good (just take off the small fairy and glue on a zombie or skeleton from WHFB). Also "Nativity scene" stuff (minus the animals etc.) works well too.

I agree with Alienscar that fish tank scenery also works, that is where I have most of mine from.

These two places are where I got most of my scenery. Since I don't have a LGS I play with a few friends or my son. Mostly I use the scenery that I can fit in a rubbermaid tote that fits in my car, unless they come to my house.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: May 3, 2020, 06:59:16 PM »
Thanks guys, yeah I've been hitting up the aquarium stores for bits, great for finding rock formations :)

Unfortunately 3D printing is super expensive, I'm finding pieces $20-30 a pop and its not even resin printed, so lots of clunky lines. I don't have access to a printer any more, but when I did, it was really time consuming and prone to random failures, might have just been bad kit, but I found other people were getting similar issues.

Didn't know "Fair Garden" was a category, I'll give that a shot cheers.