News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Plume prep - Dire Avengers especially  (Read 2239 times)

Offline flatworldsedge

• Corners conceal treasures
    • flatworldsedge photography
  • Armies: Eldar
Plume prep - Dire Avengers especially
« on: August 29, 2017, 06:31:23 PM »
Hey all - hope people are well and enjoying a wonderful week so far!

Just wondering how much prep people do on their plumes.  I'm thinking plastic Dire Avenger plumes especially.  Right now I'm working on my Autarch, using the Dire Avenger Exarch head.  I've sanded away the gem in the forehead (short story - my Craftworld is Spartan, broke and to some extent spurns Soulstones) and am now looking at the plume.

I've removed the mouldline from along the top of the plume, and it just looks a little too much like toothpaste - too smooth, given the texture along the sides. 

I'm wondering what people generally do.  I can see one could just paint it and use highlights to suggest some ridges across the top, in line with the most pronounced elements of the plume to the sides, or lots of tiny dots.  At the same time, I wonder if I should go to work with scalpel and glass paper to cut into the flat top of the plume, to create a texture like that on the sides in places - mostly little nicks into the side here are there. 

Has anyone else faced this same kind of OCD dilemma and taken any kind of action?

Here's a few quick shots from my blog so you can see the chap in question, at this stage.  Couple of poses I'm considering.  Looking forward to having things in a position where I start an actual blog thread here, but right now my updates are too micro to pester people with.  Would hugely appreciate any thoughts on this point though!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: Plume prep - Dire Avengers especially
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 10:21:47 PM »
I have an entire shrine and I simply painted them white and used inks and washes to give them colour and depth. Using this technique also gave the illusion of texture on the top of the plum that is modelled smooth.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 08:12:56 AM »
Nice model! Can't wait to see it painted.

I second DoW's approach. Washes add variety and depth. You can even do a little dry brush over that to give a stippling effect that should take care of it.

I'd let the paint do the work! Its way easier to correct should you not like the results.

Good luck and make sure you share when these babies are painted. They look great!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 07:08:25 PM »
There are a lot of different styles for the plumes, some are a single colour or 2 alternating colours, such as black and red.

If you want patches of colour GW's how to paint death masque harlies video has a bit on their plumage you can use.

To me, pointing with a curved blade looks a little off when the blade is horizontal, if you rotate the arm I think it would look better.

Offline flatworldsedge

• Corners conceal treasures
    • flatworldsedge photography
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 06:57:13 PM »
Thanks guys - much appreciated thoughts.  I will definitely go with inks and washes.  I really like the idea of dry-brushing the top to get a stippled effect too.   For the first time around I'm likely painting the helmet and crest all white, with deep purple bodies.  It's not especially complex, I suppose but I figure with enough depth it could look suitably striking.

I'll definitely share - right now progress is slow, but after cleaning mould lines for two months I'm about ready to go on 10 Guardians and this chap.

The curved blade pointing is an interesting point - also appreciated.  I'd always thought of it as more of a threatening slash/general "advance" gesture, but I see how it looks potentially odd now.  That could well be why that second stance with the lower arm began to appeal.  I'll definitely have a good think before bluetac becomes plastic glue!