News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Shroud Runners and Autarch  (Read 93786 times)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Adeptus Mechanicus
« Reply #300 on: April 1, 2018, 12:20:18 PM »
Looking killer Loosh. Those transfers absolutely complete the squad. And as always I'm in love with your glowing effects.

Just wait until that two year old gets a little older. I've already got my five and seven year old painting my ancient pewter models that I'll just dip into green stuff again.

It'll be nice to have a painting and gaming buddy at the ready once they grow up a little. Start 'em young I say!

Cheers DoW! That's the plan, geek the boy up to the max so that I've got a little but to play games against, go to the movies with and all that stuff. He's cursed to a life of being a sport-loving geek!

Great stuff Loosh! The Vanguard look fantastic. The glow effects and the blue splashes are just sick. The transfer work is spot on as well. I like the gold casing on the guns too!

Also hell yeah on the Armiger. Can't wait to see you get it painted up. I know you'll kill it.

Great to see you gut it out through all the Rangers and Vanguard like you were saying. Even though I am a grinder when it comes to that stuff... it is not easy. It can be damn miserable at times, but when you have all the stuff you know you need done, working on the fun stuff is all the more enjoyable.

Anyway great stuff Loosh. Now give us MOAR!

Glad you like it all Cav. I'm stoked with how those Vanguard came out. I always thought that I would stick to Rangers for all of my troops and also on things like Ironstriders, but having painted the Vanguard, they're actually a bit more varied than the Rangers and a bit more fun. If I remembered the fact that 6s to Wound on their basic weapon explode into 2 wounds, well maybe I'd value them on the table top a little more too!!

I hope to hell I kill the Armiger paint work...I'm trying new things and...well...I fear change!!

Cheers Cav!

I can only repeat what everyone else has already said Looshkin, the transfers really add something to the look of a model and when seen together the Vanguard unit looks really striking.

Seeing as you only got the Forgebane stuff last Saturday I am impressed that you have found the time to put an Armiger together and get it primed. Will you stick with the same colours as your Rangers and Vanguard or do you have to paint it in  particular House colour?

Funny you should ask about the colour scheme. For a while now, I've wanted to paint a Knight in the colours of my Squadron at work. It's XXIV Sqn and they have a fairly basic Black and Gold motif to their Sqn flash. So incorporating that into a Knight scheme should be fairly simple. Of course, the inspiration to do this actually hit when I first the Big Knight Vs Knight game that came out a couple of years ago (Renegade??), so I've had time to think about it for a while...those first plans were to have a totally corrupted variant of the colour scheme as it was going to be the Renegade Knight...I never knew I'd end up collecting Ad Mech!!

Hopefully I'll be able to make some good progress this Easter weekend...although my wife and 2 year old may have other ideas!!!

So I guess I am not the only one that thinks you should have painted some of the Necrons first.  ;D

She's always saying to me 'Why aren't you painting Necrons Loosh? You should be painting Necrons!'. Or at least, that's what I hear. It may actually be something about vacuuming or cooking or cleaning or changing nappies. Maybe. But I like to think it's something about Necrons  ;)

Oh I can't wait to see it painted, for that matter, I just found out it even existed. So far outta the loop right now. Your squads look great, I'm jealous.

Well it's nowhere near finished, but hopefully this sneak peak can whet your whistle:

Bare-Naked-DorothyInRubySlippers-Armiger:

Poorly lit exciting Armour Plates for your delectation:

Such terrible lighting (It is my Man-Cave/Garage after all...(With bonus fuzzy Eldar hidden in the background for Cav)

Finally, a really boring shot of more of the movement trays that I've been buying in bulk. Mainly because the first set I ordered were 32mm and I needed 26mm...Gah! I'm trying to make sure these are a cleaner finish too, with no annoying bubbles of glue poking out of the side, which is all I ever see in those other photos. Must file them down and repaint!

I reckon I'll have this Armiger ready to rock by the end of next weekend, if things go smoothly this week. Thanks for checking in!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #301 on: April 1, 2018, 03:00:02 PM »
Looking awesome Loosh. Are you doing the candy apple paint job on the carapace? If so SICK! And also... your Eldar look lonely out there. Give them some love damnit! lol Great stuff Loosh cannot wait to see how you paint that sucker. Its gonna be great I know it!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #302 on: April 1, 2018, 04:41:39 PM »
Funny you should ask about the colour scheme. For a while now, I've wanted to paint a Knight in the colours of my Squadron at work. It's XXIV Sqn and they have a fairly basic Black and Gold motif to their Sqn flash. So incorporating that into a Knight scheme should be fairly simple.

Is the red as glossy as it looks in the photo's Looshkin or is it the camera flash playing tricks? If it is as glossy as it looks and you are adding black and gold then this Armiger is going to look bloody awesome.

I'm trying to make sure these are a cleaner finish too, with no annoying bubbles of glue poking out of the side, which is all I ever see in those other photos. Must file them down and repaint!

I wondered why the profile of your bases weren't smooth. I just thought it was meant to look like that even if it looked a bit strange.

Is that April's White Dwarf I see on your worktop?
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #303 on: April 1, 2018, 05:41:11 PM »
Looking awesome Loosh. Are you doing the candy apple paint job on the carapace? If so SICK! And also... your Eldar look lonely out there. Give them some love damnit! lol Great stuff Loosh cannot wait to see how you paint that sucker. Its gonna be great I know it!

It is the Candy Apple finish (Never heard it called that, but it's absolutely the right description!). Looking to go glossy red, matt black and then the metallics. Just hope the combos work!

Is the red as glossy as it looks in the photo's Looshkin or is it the camera flash playing tricks? If it is as glossy as it looks and you are adding black and gold then this Armiger is going to look bloody awesome.

It's one time I'm not blaming the camera. It's as glossy as it appears. It utilises the clear airbrush paints FW produce, over a metallic base coat. I do some presides first, in order to get the depth of colour. Fingers crossed it all works out ok. If it does, I'll do a step by step on the next Armiger. Or maybe the knight that I hope to paint in the same scheme.

I'm trying to make sure these are a cleaner finish too, with no annoying bubbles of glue poking out of the side, which is all I ever see in those other photos. Must file them down and repaint!

I wondered why the profile of your bases weren't smooth. I just thought it was meant to look like that even if it looked a bit strange.
Nope, I was just being lazy and quick in order to get them ready for that first game. Much more care from here on out!

Is that April's White Dwarf I see on your worktop?

It is indeed. No spoilers, but I hope you like it. There's a decent spread of articles (not all of them painting!); some background on both the Idoneth Deepkin which appears to be good, although I've only glanced at it, some stuff on DE, a narrative battle report which is actually pretty decent compared to a lot that they put out...I'll let you get to it and form your own opinions, but I've already read more than the past 2 months combined I think!!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #304 on: April 2, 2018, 06:32:28 AM »
Nice... love that you are doing that candy apple red. I've seen that done on a bunch of Ad-Mech stuff on the old Independent Characters forum and it looked amazing. I think I saw it done on the big train thing they have, a knight and some other stuff and it realy took the presentation of the Knights to a whole new level. Can't wait to see it finished, should look amazing.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #305 on: April 6, 2018, 10:40:00 AM »
Man go away for a week and come back to all of this! Ad Mech are going from strength to strength, and congrats on clutching victory from the jaws of defeat in your game!

Can't wait to see the Armigers come together :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #306 on: April 7, 2018, 06:54:41 PM »
Hotrod painting! Perfect! Waiting for finish pics.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #307 on: April 13, 2018, 02:12:40 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the interest in the Knights...I had really hoped to show you a finished knight at the end of the weekend. Unfortunately, I learned a valuable life lesson: Never use Lahmian Medium over a Clear glaze finish as it makes it go cloudy. Alright, maybe it's not a life lesson as such, but it is a geeky lesson! Thank beslubber it was only really 1 shoulder pad affected, so I had to prise it off and then start the shoulder pad from scratch. The other small spots I should be able to cover up with some mild weathering.

That's the other thing, unfortunately, I had a family bereavement this week (she was old and it wasn't unexpected), meaning my planned week of hobby while the wife was away turned into a couple of days of frantically making arrangements and then sorting the house prior to my departure. Now that I'm with the family, I've actually been able to do a couple hours of work each day because we've sorted most things out for the funeral.

An added bonus of being with the family is that I'm able to buy tax free hobby goodness! So far I've just bought the Skaven Warband for Shadespire and an Ironstrider (Would have got 2 or 3 but they only had 1 in). Just don't tell Customs!!

I've taken a few photos of the 99% finished Armiger (Weathering to come). The lighting isn't the best, but you'll get the gist:

Heat effects on the whateveritscalled.. ..Flame Spear??

Come at me Bro:

So there you go! I'm really happy with how he's turned out, but if you have any feedback or any way that you would improve the model, let me know...I have changed models before based on feedback, so I absolutely value it!

The great thing is that, because I've 'figured out' how to paint these guys,the second one is 90% complete. Just the basing, trans and any weathering to go. Something like 450pts or 24 PL added in a week!

Thanks for dropping in fellas!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #308 on: April 13, 2018, 03:50:17 PM »
By the Gods. You just wont let me win painter of the year on this forum will you Loosh. This thing looks AMAZING!!! I'm absolutley blown away... the gloss red is simply stunning. The split scheme was the last thing I was expecting... and the heat effects on the melta is just the best. The basing is fantastic too...

My ONLY criticism and its totally unnecessary is maybe just a bit more silver on the muzzel of the melta towards the back. Even just highlighting the back rim of it with a bit more silver would make the thing utterly flawless.

Either way Loosh you just annihilated this paint job. You just keep getting better... and you are played more games than me in the last month too. Is there a correlation??? lol... Anyway fantastic work man. Truly amazing. Keep rocking brother you are killing it!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #309 on: April 13, 2018, 11:05:50 PM »
That Armiger is next level amazing, Looshkin. I love the split scheme and the sudden switch in colors around the Knight's neck collar(?). Also that polished candy red finish really makes the entire Knight just pop right out at me. I can echo Cavalier's opinion about the gun muzzle, but the lack of silver doesn't bother me too much. I actually like the transition of colors you created on the muzzle, looks like a really cool technique to master.

Apparently, I need to be down in the project logs more often ;D.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #310 on: April 14, 2018, 02:49:46 AM »
I have to say, BLAM! Out of the ball park.....and 2nd everything said. Most definitely a hotrodder.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #311 on: April 14, 2018, 03:13:39 AM »
By the Gods. You just wont let me win painter of the year on this forum will you Loosh. This thing looks AMAZING!!! I'm absolutley blown away... the gloss red is simply stunning. The split scheme was the last thing I was expecting... and the heat effects on the melta is just the best. The basing is fantastic too...

My ONLY criticism and its totally unnecessary is maybe just a bit more silver on the muzzel of the melta towards the back. Even just highlighting the back rim of it with a bit more silver would make the thing utterly flawless.

Either way Loosh you just annihilated this paint job. You just keep getting better... and you are played more games than me in the last month too. Is there a correlation??? lol... Anyway fantastic work man. Truly amazing. Keep rocking brother you are killing it!

First off, bless you that you think that either of us could ever win painter of the year with SeekingOne spewing out Golden Daemon level work. We're like people doing finger painting next to Leonardo!

I've added a slight highlight of silver to the back of the gun. You were right, it just needed help popping a little more and a thin mithril silver highlight works well I think. Thanks for not holding that back as it does make a big difference.

I'll make sure I get some well lit photos at some stage, but so far I'm really happy you like him. Thanks for the kind words Cav, always means a lot coming from a real pro like yourself!

That Armiger is next level amazing, Looshkin. I love the split scheme and the sudden switch in colors around the Knight's neck collar(?). Also that polished candy red finish really makes the entire Knight just pop right out at me. I can echo Cavalier's opinion about the gun muzzle, but the lack of silver doesn't bother me too much. I actually like the transition of colors you created on the muzzle, looks like a really cool technique to master.

Apparently, I need to be down in the project logs more often ;D.

So, funny story about the collar/spine split of colours. When I was working out what colour split I wanted, I envisaged 1 split right down the middle. The back and the collar are 2 pieces though....and I totally forgot which bit of the back plate was the front and which was the back! So it never should have had a further split. When I realised my error, I did a lot of swearing. Then I decided to just finish the pieces and see how it looked...and it worked. It just worked somehow.

I guess what ey say is true, it is better to be lucky than good!

Anyway, thank MyenTal for popping by and giving your feedback...and yes, you do need to come down to the project logs more! Even better, get a project going for your AoS armies when you start working on them. Cheers dude!

I have to say, BLAM! Out of the ball park.....and 2nd everything said. Most definitely a hotrodder.

; ;D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 04:37:29 AM by Looshkin »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #312 on: April 14, 2018, 07:48:22 AM »
First off, bless you that you think that either of us could ever win painter of the year with SeekingOne spewing out Golden Daemon level work. We're like people doing finger painting next to Leonardo!

lol!!! Its true SeekingOne came in like an atom bomb. The guys from Tabletop Tactics were really praising him as a player and a painter big time on there No Retreat review.

Can't wait to see more of this Ad Mech stuff Loosh, its been awesome seeing you crank through it. But I do wonder what about your original Imperial Knight? He's from a different house if I remember correctly... are you gonna get a new one to match the Armiger?

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #313 on: April 14, 2018, 08:12:59 AM »

lol!!! Its true SeekingOne came in like an atom bomb. The guys from Tabletop Tactics were really praising him as a player and a painter big time on there No Retreat review.

Can't wait to see more of this Ad Mech stuff Loosh, its been awesome seeing you crank through it. But I do wonder what about your original Imperial Knight? He's from a different house if I remember correctly... are you gonna get a new one to match the Armiger?

Well, that would be telling  ;)

And I’m going to tell you. Yes. Yes I am going to do another Knight. Already built the legs...and let me tell you, a Knight is not the kit that you want to lose instructions for  :o

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #314 on: April 14, 2018, 11:47:18 AM »
The Armiger is simply remarkable Looshkin. To echo Cavalier I love everything about it. The deep red glossy colour looks fantastic and the heat effects are a neat touch.

Does the weathering you are going to add include the oil drums?
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #315 on: April 14, 2018, 02:32:20 PM »
Thanks Alien. Yeah, I’ll be doing some very, very light weathering if the Armiger, focusing on the legs. The barrels, however, will get a far more drastic change, to really highlight the care taken to preserve the knights versus stuff found in the world.

Thanks for your comments Alienscar!!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #316 on: April 14, 2018, 10:10:29 PM »
Anyway, thank MyenTal for popping by and giving your feedback...and yes, you do need to come down to the project logs more! Even better, get a project going for your AoS armies when you start working on them. Cheers dude!

That's the second time someone has suggested I do just that (think it was Cavalier actually who said it before  ;D). Might actually think about doing it now, when I finally start. Would keep me motivated, I think.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #317 on: April 15, 2018, 02:46:31 AM »

That's the second time someone has suggested I do just that (think it was Cavalier actually who said it before  ;D). Might actually think about doing it now, when I finally start. Would keep me motivated, I think.

Cav and I are the unofficial Project Board Pimps. Always pushing the product.

There’s a reason for that too...this board was quite a quiet place for the longest time, especially after a few really good painters left after the site went down for a few weeks some time ago.

Now, we have 20 or so semi-regular, really talented posters sharing their work on the board. It’s definitely one on the more active portions of the site. We like that and want the projects to continue to grow and be a source, hopefully, of hobby inspiration for anyone who pays a visit.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #318 on: April 15, 2018, 03:14:25 AM »
Well, I might not be on the same level as you guys, buuut all of those tutorial videos on painting and techniques should count for something ;D. Maybe in the near future, sometime ;).

Also loving your Ad Mech!!! Skitarii are some of my favorite Imperial factions, but not enough to replace xenos ;). You do them great justice though!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #319 on: April 16, 2018, 01:12:11 PM »
That Knight looks stone-cold awesome Loosh ;) and the double-split colours really works, even if it was unintended. Reminiscent of many medieval liveried shields and tabards :)

That heat-effect though. As a bit of a welder I've seen a lot of heat colouration and that is spot on ;)

Oh, and MyelTal you should definitely get on the plog train ;) one of the things I really enjoy is seeing people's painting skill develop over time.

As an example, I when I first started posting here I was ok I suppose. Basecoat, bit of drybrushing amd a wash. Now, after a lot of encouragement from these guys...my painting technique hasn't changed a bit. But just little tips and encouragement here and there has really helped me push my 'basecoat/drybrush/wash' technique as far as I can take it :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!