News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Shroud Runners and Autarch  (Read 70503 times)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Human Blood Bowl/Skitarii
« Reply #240 on: February 2, 2018, 06:15:26 PM »
First off, thank you all for the replies. It really is cool to see so many people interested in this thread. It's even cooler when I think that to view it, you've had to tear yourself away from the 20 or so other amazing, vibrant threads in the Projects...and it's helluva cool to see so many threads active all at once! Amazing!

Thanks for your kind words everyone about the Blood Bowl team. Although I was fairly surprised that there was even more love for the Skitarii (Who had only been base coated, washed and 2 other colours added! You must really love those models!!).

So how have I been getting on? Have I made significant progress towards the Start Collecting painting Comp?

I'll show you! You will be astounded!

Um. Yeah. So the King of Procrastination (Self-appointed) may or may not have become somewhat sidetracked.

Ok. I definitely became sidetracked.

New Year, same old me? Not quite. I decided in the New Year that if I started a project this year, I was sure as hell going to finish it...and there was one model left to paint for the human team. I couldn't stand seeing him on the paint station with barely a lick of paint, so I decided to add a colour. That colour became 2, became 3, became the sole thing I worked on for a couple of days.

But I'm really pleased with how he came out...so who cares that the Skitarii stood on the sidelines for a couple of days?

All is not lost though. I did make a little progress with the Skitarii:

Please note, this guy isn't finished. He's about 90%. He's also not up to the standard of some of my recent work; like the Primaris Marines or the Blood Bowl team. He has a bit of weathering to be added and also a couple of details to pick out...but he's mostly there. I finished him to check that the scheme works and that he looks good enough to be the baseline for the army. I can paint all the guys to this standard and then go back at a later date if desired and spruce them up a little.

I also got busy and built 5 Vanguard, the Dominus and also the Onager Dunecrawler. Those have all been base coated and I hope to make a significant amount of progress over the weekend. I need to, as time is running out!!

Anyhoo, a minor update, but hopefully you guys will enjoy it. Catch you later with more progress in a few days!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #241 on: February 2, 2018, 07:29:36 PM »
Niiiiice!
The Blood Bowl bloke looks like one of the front rowers I was second row to in high school. Fantastic progress so far, Looshkin. Everybody saw the potential of your Skitarii in your last post, mate, and you didn't disappoint. Really enjoying this journey... Be well!   

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #242 on: February 3, 2018, 01:54:01 PM »
Wow that Ogre looks fantastic. I don't know if the size of the model is making a difference or if it is the way you have used the blue but the colour scheme really pops.

I liked the Skitarri before but now I am blown away. I particularly like the way you have painted the metal.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #243 on: February 3, 2018, 04:31:49 PM »
Damn. Everything looks absolutley awesome Loosh. The Ogre is just fantastic and again... the color scheme is just rocking.

The Skitarri Range also looks sickening. Just killer work there. The red is spot on and the blue lenses on the mask are just expertly done. I love it.

Anyway looking forward to more. I dig the minor updates so keep them coming. Keep it up bud!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #244 on: February 5, 2018, 05:58:05 PM »
The Blood Bowl bloke looks like one of the front rowers I was second row to in high school.
In that case, I would have handed over my lunch money! Thanks for the kind words S-H, it's greatly appreciated.

Wow that Ogre looks fantastic. I don't know if the size of the model is making a difference or if it is the way you have used the blue but the colour scheme really pops.

I liked the Skitarri before but now I am blown away. I particularly like the way you have painted the metal.

Sotek Green is now officially one of my favourite colours in the range. Might even get close to Celestra Grey. It's easy to apply, looks rich and reacts so well to a Nuln Oil wash. I think that simply having a bigger canvas allows it to really come forth and shine.

As for the Skitarii, thank you very much Budd. The cloth is a work in progress. I think that the layers I used were too thick due to me rushing, but I'm trying to make amends with the next batch. I'm glad the metals meet your approval; they are the key feature of Skitarii after all...it would do to mess them up!

Damn. Everything looks absolutley awesome Loosh. The Ogre is just fantastic and again... the color scheme is just rocking.

The Skitarri Range also looks sickening. Just killer work there. The red is spot on and the blue lenses on the mask are just expertly done. I love it.

Anyway looking forward to more. I dig the minor updates so keep them coming. Keep it up bud!

Well, as I said to Alienscar, I think the red is a work in progress and I should have achieved a smoother transition, but I'm glad you like them...I must be doing something right, even if I'm not sure at times!

As for the minor updates...if I'm ever to get to 80-odd pages like you, I have to churn out more work! I'm getting there slowly.

So I had a pretty constructive weekend. Saturday was really good and then watching the Super Bowl until 0330 Sunday Night/Monday morning gave me another excellent spell to make some progress.

So first off, I took major steps towards completing the Skitarii Rangers. A bit of basing, transfers and then weathering to do...but all of that should take 30 minutes or so, so I'm leaving that for later in the week. Also one or 2 details that I've missed, such as highlighting the wax of the purity seals (spotted as I was writing this!)

I like how eye-achingly bright the plasma looks on this guy. I certainly won't forget to shoot it during a game!

On Saturday, I spent most of the day working on the Skitarii Vanguard. I could have done 10 Rangers, but I guessed that for a painting comp, more variety would benefit the look of the army. Playability be damned!

I left the backpacks off these guys to help ease of painting. It's made a huge difference so far!

Finally, I've been working on the Dominus in tandem with the Vanguard:

Finally finally, I forgot that I had already put together the Dunecrawler and am going to paint it in 4 sub-assemblies.

So there you go. Will I finish it by Saturday afternoon? I think it's touch and go at the moment. I just need a couple of good nights' work and I'll be ok. We'll see.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #245 on: February 6, 2018, 12:04:18 AM »
Absolutely blessed magic, Looshkin!
Skitarii looks to be your army, mate. You've got a real flair for them. At speed no less. Quickest posts, from you, I've seen in my short time on the forum. Everything looks so neat, and that Dominus?... Niiiiice!.

Good call with the plasma gun, as well, Looshkin. Nobody will be able to forget that blokes there. Great work, mate... Be well!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #246 on: February 6, 2018, 07:15:36 AM »
Dang Loosh! You are really cracking on these models... absolutely brilliant work! Its the perfect blend of that classic GW style with touches of the new-school like the glow effects. I absolutley love it man. I think one of the things thats really standing out to me is how smooth the paint job is on the metals. Did you undercoat these things with Leadbelcher Primer? Because it looks phenomenal! After painting 3 Cawl's priming them metal is definitley the way to go. When I painted up that yellow Skitarrii army I think I worked up from black and painting the metal was such a bear... and it didn't look great afterwards. But these look absolutley awesome...

Also I think the reds are fantastic. Whatever flaws you are seeing must be super up close... because I'm loving them. If you are worried about not having enough gradiant of reds on the cloaks/longcoats, remember folds and shapes of the cloaks are REALLY shallow... they feel more like rain coats then billowing robes or something, so there isn't too much room for shading... so it'll feel more like a solid color, which in my opinion is perfectly cool. But if you wanted to break it up a bit, maybe some weathering at the hem of the cloaks? Not necessary IMO... I wouldn't change them. I really dig the way they look big time. They look really striking.

Anyway great stuff as always Loosh. Your painting just keeps getting better man. Keep it up bud I love these updates. 

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #247 on: February 6, 2018, 09:56:40 AM »
Man I don't envy you having to finish all that work by Saturday, I really hope you get it done.

I am sorry to say I do not like your Vanguards as much as the Rangers stuff you posted. This is just my personal taste coming to the fore rather than your painting though. Unless it is different with the model in your hand I prefer the lighter red you achieved on the Rangers over the darker red on the Vanguards.

That white hot plasma is amazeballs.

The Dominus seems to be shaping up nicely but I am shocked by how yellow the gold looks at the moment.

Nice to see some WIP in a blog. Any issues putting the Dunecrawler bits together?
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #248 on: February 6, 2018, 03:27:46 PM »
Nice touch on changing the colour of the breather part of the mask and just above the eyes on the rangers.  Plasma weapons look smashing too.

Yeah painting these guys in separate parts helps, especially with the legs and underside of the coat.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #249 on: February 6, 2018, 06:54:13 PM »
Hey guys, progress report (But no pictures tonight...Boooooo!!!!).

First up, your replies:

Nice touch on changing the colour of the breather part of the mask and just above the eyes on the rangers.  Plasma weapons look smashing too.

Yeah painting these guys in separate parts helps, especially with the legs and underside of the coat.

Thanks man. There were just too many silver areas, so adding a splash of gold here and there helps break it up. I'm glad you approve. I also made sure that I only used Blue-Tac to attach them to their bases until I had painted the legs and inside of the coat. As you say, way easier!

I am sorry to say I do not like your Vanguards as much as the Rangers stuff you posted. This is just my personal taste coming to the fore rather than your painting though. Unless it is different with the model in your hand I prefer the lighter red you achieved on the Rangers over the darker red on the Vanguards.

Don't be sorry! Constructive criticism is how we learn and improve. In this case, though, I'm already way ahead of you. The robes on the vanguard have been based, washed and the first layer added. There are a couple of layers after that, which is why the more or less complete Rangers look lighter. I think, or at least hope, that you'll approve when I post some updates...hopefully tomorrow.

That white hot plasma is amazeballs.

The Dominus seems to be shaping up nicely but I am shocked by how yellow the gold looks at the moment.

Nice to see some WIP in a blog. Any issues putting the Dunecrawler bits together?

Thanks dude. It's not the easiest effect to achieve because you kinda need a perfect sculpt for it to work well, but it definitely works with these guys.

With the Dominus, the top parts of the gold haven't even been washed, let alone layered, hence the yellow appearance.

The Dunecrawler is a great kit. Very easy to assemble, so no dramas at all. The Ranger also slots in and out easily, so working on him should be really easy.

Thanks for all the input! Drop back over the next couple of days to see the infantry really taking shape.

Dang Loosh! You are really cracking on these models... absolutely brilliant work! Its the perfect blend of that classic GW style with touches of the new-school like the glow effects. I absolutley love it man. I think one of the things thats really standing out to me is how smooth the paint job is on the metals. Did you undercoat these things with Leadbelcher Primer?

Yes, yes and double yes. Leadbelcher base with a wash of Nuln and you only need to pick out a few edges with Mithril/Stromhost Silver and the metal is done. You're right too, it leads to a really smooth finish. I can't even imagine having to base coat these guys by hand with Leadbelcher...ugh!!!!!

Also I think the reds are fantastic. Whatever flaws you are seeing must be super up close... because I'm loving them. If you are worried about not having enough gradiant of reds on the cloaks/longcoats, remember folds and shapes of the cloaks are REALLY shallow... they feel more like rain coats then billowing robes or something, so there isn't too much room for shading... so it'll feel more like a solid color, which in my opinion is perfectly cool. But if you wanted to break it up a bit, maybe some weathering at the hem of the cloaks? Not necessary IMO... I wouldn't change them. I really dig the way they look big time. They look really striking.

Yeah, the cloaks are super shallow. The Vanguard set that I'm doing are way better. There are at least 2 cloaks that I've enjoyed painting!

I think the Vanguard cloaks will look better than the Rangers, but I'm pretty confident that the Dominus should blow them away. Really happy with how he is shaping up.

Anyway great stuff as always Loosh. Your painting just keeps getting better man. Keep it up bud I love these updates. 

Cheers man, means a lot coming from you, especially considering the kickass Ad Mech you put out last year!

Absolutely blessed magic, Looshkin!
Skitarii looks to be your army, mate. You've got a real flair for them. At speed no less. Quickest posts, from you, I've seen in my short time on the forum. Everything looks so neat, and that Dominus?... Niiiiice!.

Good call with the plasma gun, as well, Looshkin. Nobody will be able to forget that blokes there. Great work, mate... Be well!

Cheers man! Who knows whether I'll keep up the rate after this mini project, but hopefully I will. I can at least try! Thanks for stopping by!!

Alright...since you've been good, I'll post 1 picture to give you a sense of where the Vanguard are going. Be advised, there is a lot of tidying up to do, the lighting is harsh as beslubber and I still haven't painted a few of the additional details and colours that I need.

That's a lot of caveats!!

Thanks for stopping by folks!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #250 on: February 6, 2018, 07:16:28 PM »
Niiiiice!
Now stop posting and finish the blessed things. Only three more sleeps to go, mate. Would feel guilty if you missed the deadline for keeping us up to date... Gogogo!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #251 on: February 7, 2018, 06:58:34 AM »
Oh man. Super nice! Way to go picking out all the coils. I don't think I did that... but man what a difference. They really feel like elites with top tier gear with that little touch. Nice job on the squad leaders face plate too. Picking out that central bit with gold was a great call. Another awesome mini-update. I'm loving it! Keep them rolling bud it keeps me inspired to do that extra painting after commissions on my own stuff. Love it!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #252 on: February 7, 2018, 05:57:03 PM »
Loosh, that Ad-mech stuff is beautiful!
Most of the armies I see are painted quite dirty and weathered but I am loving your more clean look to them. The coils on the Vanguard's weapons look awesome!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #253 on: February 7, 2018, 07:13:43 PM »
Cheers Saim-Dann and Cav. It doesn't take a crazy amount of time to do these mini updates, so I will keep it going where I can!

Most of the armies I see are painted quite dirty and weathered but I am loving your more clean look to them. The coils on the Vanguard's weapons look awesome!

They will get a little bit of weathering, but only smattering of dirt on the cloaks. I figure that if nothing else, the Ad Mech factions would take very good care of their cybernetics.

I'm pleased you like the weapon coils. I think that the models need something bright and cold to offset from all the gold and red and the general darkness of the figures.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #254 on: February 8, 2018, 02:25:09 AM »
Cheers Saim-Dann and Cav. It doesn't take a crazy amount of time to do these mini updates, so I will keep it going where I can!

They will get a little bit of weathering, but only smattering of dirt on the cloaks. I figure that if nothing else, the Ad Mech factions would take very good care of their cybernetics.

I'm pleased you like the weapon coils. I think that the models need something bright and cold to offset from all the gold and red and the general darkness of the figures.

Definitely agreed, you've managed to get a very nice balance there though. They are complimentary to the overall look of the model rather than overpowering like I have seen some people do with Plasma/Grav weapons.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #255 on: February 10, 2018, 06:08:29 PM »
Cheers AP, it's nice to get some good feedback from someone who understands model balance so very well. Cheers for dropping by!

So, update time!

Never never never never never never never leave these projects so late! FFS! I got it done...but I was working til all hours the last couple of days and then again this morning and even doing some work in the store minutes before the painting comp! I should never have finished that Blood Bowl Ogre!!!!!!

I didn't think it possible last night, but I managed to finish everything to a reasonable standard. The only things missing are the hatch for the Dunecrawler, a servo skull on the Tech Priest Dominus and a base for the Dunecrawler.

First up, the Skitarii Rangers. These were 95% complete, I just had to add some detail to the bases this morning and add transfers and then add a very, very light weathering of the hems of the cloaks:

A rear shot to show just how light the weathering is:

The Skitarii Vanguard. Again, mostly complete, but I got them to 95% on Thursday night, so today was bases, transfers and weathering:

Tech Priest Dominus. I worked this guy at the same time as the Vanguard, so mostly finished by Thursday night. A few details finished off yesterday and the base completed this morning. I think this is a pretty cool model. A mini Belisarius. The robes were fairly simple, but an absolute treat to paint because of the depth of the folds. I'd happily paint another 10 of this guy:

The lighting washes out a lot of the depth of the robes, but it's quite a good transition from shaded Mephiston up to pure Evil Sunz Scarlet:

Then there's this guy. At 2130 last night, I genuinely only had the Khorne Red of the top armour, the Zandri Dust of the legs and a silver base on the Ranger crew done. It was not looking promising. I worked 4 hours on him last night and then probably another hour or so this morning. Holy beslubberballs is it a lot of work. I still haven't finished it (There's some underneath work to do) and it needs a base, but I was happy enough that it was ready to go into a comp.

I desperately need to drill out that Heavy Stubber barrel...

More work needed on the Skitarii's robes too...

So that gave me the whole gang:

Which in turn led to:

You don't necessarily need to know that of the 15 original Secret Santa participants there were only 5 total painting entrants. You certainly don't need to know that they were only judging AoS Vs AoS and 40k Vs 40k. You definitely don't need to know that there was only 1 other 40k entrant. Or that he was about 12 years old. You don't need to know any of that. I beslubbering won. That's all you need to know.

why the hell did I pretty much burn myself out to beat a 12 year old??!!!!!!!  Gaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Still. It's led me down a path that I've enjoyed walking. it's also given me a really nice starting platform for a full Ad Mech army. In fact, I just cracked open a box of Sicarians tonight...

Sorry for the poor lighting:

Thanks for sharing this little journey with me guys, hopefully I'll keep busy and have more to share in the coming days and weeks. Cheers all!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #256 on: February 10, 2018, 06:45:07 PM »
Magic stuff, Looshkin!
Going through all that to beat a 12yo is better than being beaten by a 12yo, mate. Told you to stick to painting rather than posting, but, nobody listens to me.

Out of everything, Looshkin, my favorite is the blood splatter on the logo. Was a hoot of a journey. Thanks for sharing... Be well!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #257 on: February 11, 2018, 07:34:09 AM »
Hot damn! Wow! These are all amazing Loosh... what a hobby explosion... I think this whole lot is a homerun. Damn so much I could say... the plasma effects in particular are AMAZING. A lot of times... the airbrush crowd make them look sort of dusty or grainy... these look like LIQUID light... just amazing color choices and execution.

Also the the weathering and transfer work is just fantastic. I really love the minimalist approach I think it was the perfect call.

The Dominus looks fantastic too. I love the blue color of his vials on his back and the robes look awesome.

Finally I LOVE the Dune Crawler... how did you do that weathering? I really want to learn that technique it looks so awesome...

Congrats on the win man, even if you were competing solo against a 12 year old! lol... its still a phenomenal bit of work that would be top tier in any competition. I know I'd  be very nervous seeing a guy rocking up with this army in a painting competition if I was competing too.

Its the technical and finishing details like the plasma which really separate it from the pack. Great stuff man congrats on the win, its a great feat and you just blasted through all of it which makes it all the more impressive. Keep it up bud and I hope you keep posting as much as you do... its super inspiring
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 06:24:34 AM by Cavalier »

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #258 on: February 12, 2018, 05:29:52 AM »
I genuinely have no idea what to say about this Looshkin except I wish I had an army that looked as cool as this.

The transfers, the weathering and just the overall look of the whole army screams technical brilliance and am I left feeling a bit jealous.

The Dominus, as I have said previously, is one of my favourite models and you have really done it proud. It looks creepy as hell and the photograph you have took of the models right hand side displays everything I think is awesome about your painting. The metal, the smooth finish, the shading it is all just brilliant.

I can't wait to see the Sicarian's as given the amount of metal on these models and the way you paint metal I think they will look amazing.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #259 on: February 15, 2018, 04:45:15 AM »
Loosh I am seriously in love with that Dunecrawler, the weathering on it is superb. You've managed to get a really good balance between clean/dirty that people seem to struggle with on Ad-Mech stuff.
Really loving your recent work!