News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Shroud Runners and Autarch  (Read 70381 times)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Harlequins
« Reply #180 on: October 23, 2017, 05:40:54 PM »
Looking great Loosh. Love the gore on the axe. Forget everyone that mentioned the clean paint jobs (myself included). You have a cleaner painting style that really makes the details pop. I think you've done just fine having a hint of decay. Otherwise, you're going to take away from the gorgeous job you did.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #181 on: October 23, 2017, 06:29:34 PM »
Looks so amazing Loosh. I dont think it looks too clean either. When they have jobs tons and tons of trim on the armor its hard to weather and chip because it all turns into this dark morass. So on guys like this I think its perfect. Besides you gored and grimed up the axe beautifully which accomplishes a lot! I think to really weather this guy up you'd need to go Horus Heresy gritty which is not what you are going for.

I think this dude looks incredible. The cloak and the smoke are the show stoppers for me. Can you break down how you did that smoke? Cause I'm looking to do something similar with a pale purple.

Seriously killed this mini my man. Wouldn't change a thing! Is he gonna be your Warlord? Can't wait to see where this force goes. I love it
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #182 on: October 23, 2017, 06:39:48 PM »
Here to add to the praise on this guy :) agreed that it's a lot harder to get weathering to 'stick' right with models that are busy with detail. Something I've been finding is that weathering is a great way to add detail and interest to otherwise quite basic-looking models (Marines, Guardians etc.), but if you do the same thing on busy models it all sort of blends into one (haha just looked up and Cav's said exactly the same thing!).

Intrigued as to what this new project might be... ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #183 on: October 23, 2017, 06:57:02 PM »
Looking great Loosh. Love the gore on the axe. Forget everyone that mentioned the clean paint jobs (myself included). You have a cleaner painting style that really makes the details pop. I think you've done just fine having a hint of decay. Otherwise, you're going to take away from the gorgeous job you did.

Thanks DoW! Glad you like it, especially glad you like the axe. I really wanted that thing to appear gross. Like the faintest nick could turn your innards to soup.

Looks so amazing Loosh. I dont think it looks too clean either. When they have jobs tons and tons of trim on the armor its hard to weather and chip because it all turns into this dark morass. So on guys like this I think its perfect. Besides you gored and grimed up the axe beautifully which accomplishes a lot! I think to really weather this guy up you'd need to go Horus Heresy gritty which is not what you are going for.

I think this dude looks incredible. The cloak and the smoke are the show stoppers for me. Can you break down how you did that smoke? Cause I'm looking to do something similar with a pale purple.

Seriously killed this mini my man. Wouldn't change a thing! Is he gonna be your Warlord? Can't wait to see where this force goes. I love it

I think he will be the Warlord and I plan on getting some of the Blightlord Terminators for him to roll with. Really pleased you like him Cav, it means a lot coming from you. I did add a tiny amount of weathering, but as you say, on such a busy model, it's very hard to do well.

As for the smoke and the cloak...they were probably the 2 easiest parts of the model!

The cloak is simply Screamer Pink base with an Agrax Wash. I then dry brush with Screamer pink before doing a very fine dry brush with Emperor's Children.

As for the smoke, I have a man in Liverpool to thank for that. We were in the city for a day whilst visiting relatives and I popped into the GW there. Saw this smoke on their Lord of Contagion. It's just a Celestra Grey base coat (a couple of layers to get a really clean finish). I then made a glaze using Coelia Greenshade (which is lovely - I'd never used it before) mixed with equal parts Lahmian Medium. I applied this by placing it on the 'tip' of the smoke and then dragging it towards the censors. This gives it a far stronger finish the closer to the origin you go. I then drybrushed  back up with Celestra Grey. I had planned on going all the way up to white but didn't feel the need.

Anyway, thanks man, really love that you're loving this guy!

Here to add to the praise on this guy :) agreed that it's a lot harder to get weathering to 'stick' right with models that are busy with detail. Something I've been finding is that weathering is a great way to add detail and interest to otherwise quite basic-looking models (Marines, Guardians etc.), but if you do the same thing on busy models it all sort of blends into one (haha just looked up and Cav's said exactly the same thing!).

Intrigued as to what this new project might be... ;)

Hey Ynnead, thanks for the kind words. I'm almost the opposite in my approach to minis! I love griming up the grimy models and leaving the clean ones super clean (or at least I do with my Eldar...I like to think that they use a small, latent part of their psychic majesty on repelling dirt and muck...gotta look good when you're slaying the forces of Chaos, right?).

All will be revealed with the projects (multiple) over the coming days...if I can get a new Lightbox anytime soon!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Death Guard
« Reply #184 on: October 24, 2017, 07:44:03 AM »
Wow, screamer pink with agrax? I love it! Would never have thought about doing that. Also brilliant on the smoke effects! Celestra Grey is my GO TO paint for doing white or anything bright on a dark model. I gotta get some more lahmian medium I've been out for ages! Super helpful... I'll make sure to let you know when I use that technique on an upcoming model. I'm gonna be heading up to the GW today so I'm gonna get some. Anyway thanks bud super awesome stuff. And like I said I love this model (especially for your warlord). So much interesting paint work that went into him and I wouldn't push it any further in any direction. Perfect balance on all fronts. Love it!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #185 on: October 24, 2017, 11:14:18 AM »
Haha I love the idea that eldar subconsciously using their psychic powers to preen themselves. While I'm firmly in the 'grubby like everyone else in the galaxy' camp, that's a brilliant piece of headcanon ;)

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #186 on: October 25, 2017, 09:31:23 AM »
Love the way these guys look. It's pretty... and wow. and... uh.

-lost for words-
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #187 on: October 26, 2017, 05:23:39 AM »
Thanks everyone for your kind words!

Mini update.

I'm not quite where I want to or need to be with a couple of the things that I'm working on...so I did what I always do and procrastinated like a pro.

Ages ago...like 2007/2008 or something...I picked up this piece of terrain from Forgeworld (this was before GW released sick kits) and painted it up. I used the weathering powders from FW a bit. I used all manner of the flock that GW did back in the day. The result was this:

Excuse the terrible lighting...as I said previously, my light box is caput and I haven't yet got round to sorting it.

Well, I rush job updated it so that it would fit with my other models and terrain a little better. Mainly just adding darker static grass and making the sand look less like it had just been dumped there straight from the beach.

As you can see, though, I did up the grunge factor on the piece, because it just didn't fit with the other stuff I've produced.

And now it gives my Death Guard somewhere to play hide and seek.

What I will say is that I love the texture of the model. I have no idea whether the texture was from the mould or whether I used the old grey texture spray you could get from GW...remember that one? You had to use it all in one go or the sand inside the can clogged the nozzle. Such a great idea, such terribad execution!

So there you go. Mini update. I'll get back to the work I'm supposed to be doing!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 05:26:09 AM by Looshkin »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #188 on: October 26, 2017, 05:50:24 AM »
That's superb work on that terrain piece.  The texturing has turned out especially well and it's certainly very suitable camouflage for those Deathguard.   
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #189 on: October 26, 2017, 10:25:54 AM »
Loving the new, darker, grubbier terrain. Very fitting with your Death Guard :) excellent work!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #190 on: October 26, 2017, 10:40:07 PM »
Niiiiice!
Don't like Death Gaurd but like what you've done with your last piece. Cannot say any more than what has already been said. Can only agree with them.

The terrain piece?... Wow! When given a clear, plain surface to work with, you really go to town don't you? Hats off, mate... Be well!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #191 on: October 27, 2017, 08:08:55 AM »
You really are the king of weathering. You've done a superb job on that piece. It was good before, but you really brought it to that next level.

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #192 on: October 27, 2017, 09:13:17 AM »
That certainly looks like an old and used tank. Brilliant work on the weathering. And the update on the grass and sand is just what you would expect - bringing old, just-starting-out projects up to snuff with your current skills.
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #193 on: October 27, 2017, 10:04:54 AM »
WOW! That looks incredible Loosh! When I stopped in the pics weren't available. Absolutely exemplary painting and weathering. I love how the grass and dirt sort of spills into it as well. Super nice work Loosh and very consistent with the weathering and "decay" factor of your Death Guard. Love it

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #194 on: October 27, 2017, 04:46:09 PM »
That looks fantastic!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #195 on: October 28, 2017, 12:44:55 PM »
That's superb work on that terrain piece.  The texturing has turned out especially well and it's certainly very suitable camouflage for those Deathguard.

Loving the new, darker, grubbier terrain. Very fitting with your Death Guard :) excellent work!

Cheers Irisado and Ynnead! I'm glad you think it fits in with the Death Guard, that was something that I was aiming for.

Niiiiice!
Don't like Death Gaurd but like what you've done with your last piece. Cannot say any more than what has already been said. Can only agree with them.

The terrain piece?... Wow! When given a clear, plain surface to work with, you really go to town don't you? Hats off, mate... Be well!

Hey, each to their own Said-Dann. I personally think the Death Guard have some of the best models in the game...and I never really liked any of the chaos aesthetics before now. Hopefully if I keep painting them, I can win you over!

Glad you like the terrain piece though!

You really are the king of weathering. You've done a superb job on that piece. It was good before, but you really brought it to that next level.

That certainly looks like an old and used tank. Brilliant work on the weathering. And the update on the grass and sand is just what you would expect - bringing old, just-starting-out projects up to snuff with your current skills.

Cheers guys! The weathering was a little more slap-dash than usual, but I just wanted to update the piece, not make it a masterpiece. I'm glad you like it; bringing my older models up to scratch is normally something that I avoid (It's nice to see an evolution in painting skills, I find), but terrain pieces don't have the same sentimental value, so it's good to do and something that I've been meaning to do for ages.

WOW! That looks incredible Loosh! When I stopped in the pics weren't available. Absolutely exemplary painting and weathering. I love how the grass and dirt sort of spills into it as well. Super nice work Loosh and very consistent with the weathering and "decay" factor of your Death Guard. Love it

That looks fantastic!

Cheers fellas! Means a lot for you to stop by and give me feedback.

Alright, enough of the backslaps, fun as they are to receive! On to the progress.

So...I have made no progress with my Death Guard.

Or the Sisters of Battle models.

Or my Harlequins.

So what the hell have I been up to?

Well, if you remember, it was the GW Store Birthday a couple of weeks back. At every store having a Birthday, they have a special Primaris Captain available to buy on that 1 day. He's only available in store for that 1 day, so if you don't live near a GW, you're kinda screwed. Well, at my GW, if you spent £150 on the day, you got him for 'free'. So I bought Gift Vouchers that I used the next couple of weeks on Shadespire and the Elder Codex...stuff that I was going to buy anyway, but by getting the vouchers, I could still buy them, but I got a free marine model...and boy is that marine model pretty.

I don't generally paint marines. I'll say that now; but again, the store was going to do a painting comp* for just that model, so I figured I'd give him a go and maybe he would be some sort of inspiration for the Crimson Fist army that I've always intended making.

Please note, he's not 100% finished. He's painted to a point that I'm (very) happy with him. However, there are 1 or 2 very minor bits I want to clean up. Also want to add a 2nd edge highlight to some of the armour panels (I didn't have any Hoeth Blue to do so).

Finally, I need your input as to whether I weather him!

Cloak detail. You can see a tiny bit of the white/grey on the red. That's one cleanup job to do.

Come get some:

So, by the time I had taken those photos, I was actually questioning some of the things that I had done with the model, and whether they worked as I wanted them to.

I needed a comparison. I needed something totally different to contrast with the model and prove to me one way or the other whether I had made the right choices.

So I put together a little diorama to check whether it all worked...and I'm not going to lie, I love the result. It gave me a massive smile when I put it all together...so I really hope you like the next photo too (Sorry about the computer crap in the background, the lack of my Lightbox really hurts my composition!):

So there you go. 1 Primaries Captain kinda finished...hopefull y he'll be the start of a big Crimson Fist army. Who knows?

Please though guys, I need your help. Please answer the following questions:

What else do I need to do to finish this guy (Decals, more highlights, touch ups that you've seen...anything really)?

Should I weather him? It'd probably only be the boots (Dirt/Scrapes) and maybe the cloak (Dirt). Or should I leave him clean and a total juxtaposition to the Death Guard?

Thanks for dropping in fellas, I look forward to hearing what you have to offer.

*If you're wondering about the painting Comp...this week was also Armies on Parade for AoS and the guys working in the store had to be reminded that there was a Comp too! Also, no other entries...so that was disappointing; but a lot of folks liked the mini, so that was nice.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 12:48:01 PM by Looshkin »

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Primaris Captain
« Reply #196 on: October 28, 2017, 03:18:51 PM »
G'day Looshkin!
Oh my, you've done a great job on him, mate. Yes to the weathering on the lower limbs and cape. Yes to a second highlighting, however, only on the areas that the sun would hit. Hold your model by the base and put your eye at the 12:00 pm position. Whatever edges you see, second highlight.

This technique really gives your model some depth and avoids that, "Tron in power armour", look. Really enjoying your posts, Looshkin... By the by. Am only ant-Death Guard because of the couple of hidings I've received from them. Once my lads get the better of them, I'm sure I'll think they're just lovely... Pointy ears forever!!   

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #197 on: October 28, 2017, 04:38:47 PM »
Awesome stuff Looshkin!  Really crisp and neat paint jobs on everything there.  :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #198 on: October 29, 2017, 08:09:44 AM »
DUDE! That paint job has to be one of my favorites that you've ever done! Screw the painting competition, I would not change ANYTHING (beyond transfers). Absolutley GORGEOUS work on the blue... See I'm a huge fan of not overly highlighting things. I don't think everything needs 3 or 4 stage highlighting. I think keeping it darker makes him feel more like a Crimson Fist. Also by the Gods... that cloak. Its a thing of absolute beauty.

Also by comparison... the Nurgle dude looks so much more weathered and grimy.

I say to hell with the painting competition for the sake of your own collection I wouldn't change anything. Such a nice counter point between the Death Guard style and your Crimson Fist captain.

Again I say do so some transfers and call it a day. This dude is a grand slam. I love it.

P.S. Also noticed the orange plasma. ::High five::

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #199 on: October 29, 2017, 11:05:25 AM »
Oh I thought it was the new primarius orange juice gun, haha not really, I do love it tho. As for the painting, all of the above. Tha busy bases are phenominal. And goo boy looks fantastik, I've been slowly assembling my slimy army since book dropped, sadly no paint tho.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword