News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Shroud Runners and Autarch  (Read 70422 times)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - New Orc Giants Bloodbowl.
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2017, 09:57:32 AM »
Haha! That's excellent! I can just picture the Tree(lines)man striding up the pitch with Orcs trailing off his ankles! Really nice work, and I love the little '2' on his tabard :)

The checkers on the base are excellent too, and as always the general quality of the paintwork is phenomenal :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2017, 05:56:33 PM »
Haha! That's excellent! I can just picture the Tree(lines)man striding up the pitch with Orcs trailing off his ankles! Really nice work, and I love the little '2' on his tabard :)

The checkers on the base are excellent too, and as always the general quality of the paintwork is phenomenal :)

Thanks Ynnead. I really wanted to include a lot of little details like the No.2 on his loin cloth (leaf cloth?). Also, the addition of all the leaves around the base - I figured that this is the Orcs pitch and they bring destruction. The Wood Elves bring life. So I wanted that contrast...where the Treeman is, there is life; verdant grass, leaves blooming. Where the Orcs are, there is death...a torn up pitch, dead leaves scattered everywhere, discarded, battered armour. So it all works as a whole, but it has 2 definite sides to it too.

I also prepared a little something extra today, to hopefully push me over the top for the competition (It also gave me a chance to get all arts and craftsy for the first time since I wan about 8!).

A match report!

Tea stained paper and a bit of burning for the win!

Furthermore, I was off sick today, so in amongst convalescing, I started work on Balisarius Cawl. He's a great model and I'm already enjoying working on him:

Just the gold complete so far. I have started work on the robes and have just washed them. I have a few layers to go to get the robes done, but then it's just working on details from there. I thought this was going to be a beast to work on, but it's enjoyable and seems like I could get him done in a week or 2...and then there are a bunch of Eldar demanding attention!

Cheers for stopping by!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2017, 05:26:41 AM »
Wow you really go the extra mile :) love the thought process that went into the basing. That's the kind of depth of thinking that really sets minis apart :) when the competition comes to it, make sure you slyly mention that as it's the kind of thing that's wonderful when you spot it, but not immediately obvious ;)

The match report is just the icing on the cake ;)

Oh man your Cawl's looking really nice :) between him and Cav's Tech Priest I'm getting a real itch to do some Ad Mech myself. The whole 'gribbly post-human cyborgs with futuro-clockwork tin men soldiers' thing really appeals to the inner steampunk in me :) only in 40k would the Borg be the 'good' guys...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2017, 07:02:04 AM »
Oh wow, off to a real nice start! Love the gold... like the placement of it as well. Nice balance of silver and gold so far. Sweet! Also love the bat-rep scroll... the burned edges look really great and the writing is really good. Really reminds me of something I could read in the White Dwarf. The humor is spot on!

Great stuff as always Loosh... can't wait to see you paint up the Triumvirate... and more Eldar. I wish I wasn't so poor... I want new models!  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Keep it up bud! Can't wait to see the new stuff!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2017, 07:28:24 AM »
Wow you really go the extra mile :) love the thought process that went into the basing. That's the kind of depth of thinking that really sets minis apart :) when the competition comes to it, make sure you slyly mention that as it's the kind of thing that's wonderful when you spot it, but not immediately obvious ;)

The match report is just the icing on the cake ;)

Oh man your Cawl's looking really nice :) between him and Cav's Tech Priest I'm getting a real itch to do some Ad Mech myself. The whole 'gribbly post-human cyborgs with futuro-clockwork tin men soldiers' thing really appeals to the inner steampunk in me :) only in 40k would the Borg be the 'good' guys...

Cheers man, you're right, I need to point out some of the little details prior to the painting comp...I know the references and what to look for, but that isn't always obvious to the casual viewer.

I'm glad you're liking the Cawl model too. It's the first time I've done sub-assemblies on an infantry figure before (even if he's a bigger model). It's making life so much easier. There are a tonne of little steampunk type details on the figure, it makes it very fun to work on.

Cheers Ynnead!

Oh wow, off to a real nice start! Love the gold... like the placement of it as well. Nice balance of silver and gold so far. Sweet! Also love the bat-rep scroll... the burned edges look really great and the writing is really good. Really reminds me of something I could read in the White Dwarf. The humor is spot on!

Great stuff as always Loosh... can't wait to see you paint up the Triumvirate... and more Eldar. I wish I wasn't so poor... I want new models!  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Keep it up bud! Can't wait to see the new stuff!

Once again, I would like to take credit for the Cawl paintwork, but I can't. Whilst I am the guy laying down the colours, all I'm doing if following the Warhammer TV guide. I do, however, wish I had Duncan Rhode's swooshy time jump thing. It takes him a minute to do a step, it takes me over an hour! Gah!

Thanks for the comments about the Match Report. I needed to come up with an explanation as to why there weren't any other Wood Elf minis present and it was only when I was sat typing it that I thought that, instead of having them all injured/knocked out, why not have them unavailable due to illness. The Elvian water was a natural progression of that. I love the humour present in Blood Bowl, so wanted to capture that feeling.

Cheers for stopping by man!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2017, 08:01:26 AM »
Nice little WIP there for Cawl, really do love that model and I can't wait to see your finished product!
On the airbrushing note, please feel free to drop me a message. I am far from being an expert (I need to practice a lot more with mine as it is!) but if I can help then I certainly will!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2017, 09:50:00 AM »
That Blood Bowl report is both imaginative and very well executed.  You've produced something fabulous there.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2017, 05:52:52 PM »
Nice little WIP there for Cawl, really do love that model and I can't wait to see your finished product!
On the airbrushing note, please feel free to drop me a message. I am far from being an expert (I need to practice a lot more with mine as it is!) but if I can help then I certainly will!

Having seen your latest work, I will definitely be picking your brains at some point. Still far too cold to airbrush in the garage though, so I'll have to concentrate on my brush work for the time being  ;)

That Blood Bowl report is both imaginative and very well executed.  You've produced something fabulous there.

Cheers Iri. I don't often write any fluff, but this came fairly naturally. I think it must be due to my love of sports and stupid humour.

So, a little progress made. I had to stop on the robes, as I don't have any Wild Rider Red, but they're 80% there. Next will be the incredibly painstaking work of going through all the little details:

There you go. Coming along nicely, but still a lot of hours to put into this guy.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 06:44:24 AM by Looshkin »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Blood Bowl Diorama - Belisarius Cawl
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2017, 07:06:30 AM »
Awww yeah. Looking super nice bud. Love the feel of the robes... really nice highlighting and shading there. Robes are tricky... I don't paint a lot of cloth and getting the highlights right can be tricky but I think you are nailing it. Good job on not going to heavy on the silver on the armor plates... its awesome being able to see that beaten textured look to the surface of the metal. Looking soooo nice. Keep it up man it looks killer!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2017, 03:09:58 PM »
Wow, you've done a great job on those robes!
The shading and highlighting of robes etc is always something that I've kinda struggled with. I managed to fluke a decent look on my Corsair Prince's using my Airbrush but I'm not sure I could replicate it! You've really nailed it here though, a good balance of colour with the metal parts too. Nothing looks out of place  8)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2017, 12:15:23 PM »
Awww yeah. Looking super nice bud. Love the feel of the robes... really nice highlighting and shading there. Robes are tricky... I don't paint a lot of cloth and getting the highlights right can be tricky but I think you are nailing it. Good job on not going to heavy on the silver on the armor plates... its awesome being able to see that beaten textured look to the surface of the metal. Looking soooo nice. Keep it up man it looks killer!

Cheers man. The silver being a little beaten/tarnished is a happy accident. It's just the Leadbelcher spray with an Agrax Wash. In the Warhammer TV guide, Duncan would have you then highlight it all with a dry brush of Necron compound. However, when he does it, quite a lot of silver goes on the gold parts that he has already completed. I can't remember who said it (think it was on your plog), but someone said that GW take their golds too far into the silver range. I agree, so I decided to leave it as a basic base coat + wash. I think it works and I'm glad you like it.

Wow, you've done a great job on those robes!
The shading and highlighting of robes etc is always something that I've kinda struggled with. I managed to fluke a decent look on my Corsair Prince's using my Airbrush but I'm not sure I could replicate it! You've really nailed it here though, a good balance of colour with the metal parts too. Nothing looks out of place  8)

I need to finish the robes with wild rider red and a tiny bit of fire dragon bright, but thanks AP. I tend to find robes quite tough too, but I'm fairly happy with this result. It's really quite striking up close.

Anyhoo. Update time!

Not a painting update, but an update on the Secret Santa Painting Competition!

Holy amphetamine parrot, did people raise their game this year! Last year, there were 6 entries, only about 2 of which were ok, and mine. I won most of the awards that year. This year, I'd be shocked if I received any votes for best painted. There were some seriously amazing entries on display!

People went all out. LEDs embedded into the dioramas, extravagant bases, a miniature copy of White Dwarf, UV Sylvaneth runes. Wowzers. My additional touches didn't put me out in front of everyone, they barely kept me with the pack!!

Here are some of the entries:

I loved this entry. Voted for it for Best Painted. I believe it came 2nd after a few tie breakers were thrown into the mix to break a deadlock at the top:

This entry was lovely. Not quite as stunning as the last IMHO, but a really clean paint job and really well put together. He had mini propaganda posters and the tiny WD in an ammo crate (Sorry, forgot to get a photo). He won the Best Converted in the main competition:

This guy won Best Painted and Best Converted in the 'Haven't yet won a painting comp' Category. It was really nice. The paint work on the minis was excellent; I can see this guy competing for the top awards in future competitions:

This chap won 'Best Theme' in the 'Haven't yet won a painting comp' Category. It was nicely put together, had a strong theme and was well painted, just not nearly as well as the above entry.

This was the overall Best Painted. I'm not going to lie, it didn't really do it for me. I think it's very good, but not as proficient as either of the 2 marine entries.

That said, he painted it in 2 days. 2 freaking days. Insane.

All wasn't lost though, as I managed to pick up the 'Best Theme' award in the main category (For folk that had won Armies on Parade etc). I was really happy with that, but I know that I have to up my game significantly in the future if I want to compete for Best Painted awards.

All in all, it was really fun, so I look forward to next year's competition!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2017, 02:06:26 PM »
Pure insanity! Wow... that top Diorama of the Ultra Marines defending the little fortification is absolutely my favorite! I'm in total agreement with you Loosh. The other two while certainly nice to me are just far less impressive, though I agree with you the cargo container one is insanely nice... and does a lot more for me that the Orc Dragon (which is beautiful to be sure).

Sorry you didn't win the overall prize man, but fantastic news to win best theme. To win best anything is incredible! Seriously congrats Loosh, that is some INSANE competition but you are right there with them my friend. Never seen ANYTHING like it at my local stores. Totally different ballgame... but ultra impressive nonetheless.

Again congrats my friend. So well deserved I loved your piece to death. Cheers!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2017, 04:42:53 PM »
Pure insanity! Wow... that top Diorama of the Ultra Marines defending the little fortification is absolutely my favorite! I'm in total agreement with you Loosh. The other two while certainly nice to me are just far less impressive, though I agree with you the cargo container one is insanely nice... and does a lot more for me that the Orc Dragon (which is beautiful to be sure).

I know, right? It's amazing. Apparently the guy that did it put in over 200 hours of work on the piece; it just bleeds through with the attention to detail off the charts. I feel really bad that the guy didn't win anything. It's a travesty of justice.

Sorry you didn't win the overall prize man, but fantastic news to win best theme. To win best anything is incredible! Seriously congrats Loosh, that is some INSANE competition but you are right there with them my friend. Never seen ANYTHING like it at my local stores. Totally different ballgame... but ultra impressive nonetheless.

Again congrats my friend. So well deserved I loved your piece to death. Cheers!

I'm not at all disappointed to not win the best painted diorama. The top entries were drop dead gorgeous and if I had taken even a single vote away from them, I think it would have been wrong. It just gives me something to aspire to moving forward.

Again, thanks for the feedback throughout this project Cav, I appreciate it and am just stoked that you are a fan of the piece (Which is currently sat in the window of my local GW, so if anyone sees it and thinks 'wow, that's cool', I'll be over the moon.).

So anyway, I made a little progress. I did some work on my New Orc Giants; hopefully they'll be finished by next weekend if all goes well. I also finished off Belisarius Cawl today. The painting was 99% there, I just touched up a couple of small points and based him.

I liked this project. After the initial rip roaring progress, I was actually quite dismayed by the number of details there were to paint. I probably could have done a few more, but started finding that the addition of extra colours was really drawing the eye away from the reds, silvers and golds that this piece was meant to exemplify.

Anyhow, here we go!

There you go. I'm particularly happy with the robes and the metal parts. I have a feeling that I'll have an itch to redo his gun at some point. The plasma coils or whatever they are just don't look as clean as I wanted, but I've tried to tweak them with little success thus far. When I figure something out, I'll rework it.

Favourite bits of the model are probably the servo skulls (Especially the one at the back holding the cable. I think of him as a weird bridesmaid, holding the bride's train off the ground...). I'm also fond of the spider thing at the front and just how detailed the robes are. They were a joy to paint.

Thanks for reading, I hope you like the model!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2017, 07:59:37 PM »
Holy crap! The way you pick out all the details of the model with your colour scheme is unbelievable. The range of metallics you use is incredible and I think it's genius how the model is 75% metal and you still manage to make it the part with the most gradation of colour. Superb work! The best one of yours I've seen yet.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2017, 02:46:26 AM »
Woah.....
Loosh, that model is incredible. Like I mean seriously incredible. The detail on it is amazing, even going down to the highlighting on the metal plates on the book! You've got such a well balanced colour palette on this model, you've managed to get a really good Mechanicum feel to it without going dark and dirty like most people seem to.
I think this may well be my favourite of your work.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2017, 04:36:15 AM »
Wow that's impressive :) usually I'm dead-set against models that are busy as hell, but my one exception is Tech Priests as that's pretty much their MO :)

Painting is stunning Loosh :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2017, 07:21:45 AM »
Wow... what a freaking stunner Loosh. Seriously the paint job on this is incredible! Those dudes from the painting competition better look out Loosh is coming in hot next year! Perfect balance of colors... between the gold, silver and red. I always feel like special characters should have a bit more of the secondary colors which I think you pulled off brilliantly. Also I love the green wires and the blue energy effects... with blue and green being so closely related, they work together in terms keeping a cohesion of color scheme... instead of having two splash colors.

Lastly... the base. I love it! It really helps him to pop... and also ties in with the green wires and the blue energy effects. Simply fantastic Loosh. You are truly next level man... keep up the great work I'm blown away!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2017, 02:45:04 AM »
All I can say is what Cav said. Now I have to step up my game on mine.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - New Orc Giants - Celestine
« Reply #118 on: March 4, 2017, 02:44:31 PM »
dog_of_war, AP, Ynnead, Cav and Dread, I'm sorry I didn't reply to your collective kind words sooner. As you all said similar things, all I can say is that I'm really humbled by your responses. I knew the model was quite good and I was generally happy with the result, but your words have made me really happy that I'm doing the right things in the right places and hopefully improving what I do.

The bar has been raised for me, so hopefully I won't let you guys down and I will keep churning out solid work!

I haven't been able to do much this past week, as I have been off work with a minging cold. Normally I'd paint my way through a cold whilst gorging on boxsets, but unfortunately my wife was also ill and our 15 month old decided to let us know who was really in charge!

That said, I got a couple of bits done.

First up, I managed to finish off the New Orc Giants. I'm really happy with how this project came out, as they really look like a team. No two are the same, but they're close enough to not be a cacophony of styles or colours.

The Throwers:

The Blitzers:

Black Orc No.2:

The New Orc Giants, in all their glory!

Next up, I decided to work on a few little bits of scenery. First in this line (and only, thus far), is just a little objective marker I'm working on. I blame Cav for this, as his board always looks so good, so I need to amp up my scenery game!

Finally, I decided to keep working on the Triumvirate. I know that I have a lot of Eldar that need love and attention, but I want to just do Celestine and her body guards first. Then I'll get onto the Summer of the Pointy Ears!

Not a lot done do far, just built, undercoated and then bases using the Retributor Armour spray.

So that's what I'm working on now. I don't think I'll have anywhere near the time to knock it out as quickly as I did Belisarius Cawl...for one, I have Horizon Zero Dawn waiting for me upstairs! Hopefully I'll just be pleased with the result...although there's an awful lot of white to paint on Celestine and white is pretty much my achilles heel. So we'll see!

Cheers for stopping by!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #119 on: March 4, 2017, 04:14:05 PM »
No probs man :) credit where credit's due ;)

Your Orks are looking really really good :) you're dead right about them all being different, but still cohesive. Perfect Orky look :)

Love the objective markers too :) where are the bits from?

Oh, and can't wait to see what you do with Celestine and the twins :)