News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What's Happening  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: What's Happening
« Reply #20 on: March 9, 2020, 05:39:33 PM »
Well the idea is out there.

If the owner is interested i'll make use of my connection, can you let him know please?

If the owner is interested, please ask him to write to the Staff using the 'Contact' button in the Help section on the forum and I can put him in touch with Raine that way.

Just not sure how we'd ever break people's consumption habits.

This is precisely the problem.  The desire now is for instant gratification and instant answers, often regardless of the quality (note that I am speaking in general here not about your work), leads people onto social media platforms which operate in this manner, complete with lax, ineffective, or absent moderation.  A forum will not work like that, which is I think is one of its strengths as a concept, but too many others, at the moment, seems to prefer the opposite.

Cavalier: Good to see you :).
« Last Edit: March 9, 2020, 05:40:43 PM by Irisado »
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #21 on: March 9, 2020, 06:06:41 PM »
but as more and more people now use Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, and other similar platforms,

Facebook sucks for this sort of content, I see the same questions posted over and over. At least with forums you have stickies and search functions. Although I see mostly people posting photo's of their projects.

Maybe we can touch base with some Eldar focused facebook group as a way they can get new members up to speed for gaming questions.

Offline Gal'rgae Neverborne

• Armies: Eldar, Deathwing, Daemons
« Reply #22 on: March 9, 2020, 07:13:18 PM »
If the owner is interested, please ask him to write to the Staff using the 'Contact' button in the Help section on the forum and I can put him in touch with Raine that way.

I've been around long enough to see how this will go, B&CS Admin will ask me if 40konline is interested, i'll say "i'll check" come back here and be asked to find out if B&CS are interested then the whole thing falls apart each forum claiming the other forum didn't say they were interested.

It won't happen unless one party is willing to extend the handshake first.

« Last Edit: March 9, 2020, 07:14:28 PM by Gal'rgae Neverborne »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #23 on: March 9, 2020, 07:28:52 PM »
Facebook sucks for this sort of content, I see the same questions posted over and over. At least with forums you have stickies and search functions. Although I see mostly people posting photo's of their projects.

Maybe we can touch base with some Eldar focused facebook group as a way they can get new members up to speed for gaming questions.

I agree that Facebook is very poor for discussion of this nature.  My view is that all the forms of social media that are not forums are also very poor for this type of content for similar reasons.  The problem is that too many people do not seem to agree, based on how people are using the internet these days.  If anyone has any connections through Facebook, by all means feel free to promote the forum to anyone who you think may be interested in joining us here.

I've been around long enough to see how this will go, B&CS Admin will ask me if 40konline is interested, i'll say "i'll check" come back here and be asked to find out if B&CS are interested then the whole thing falls apart each forum claiming the other forum didn't say they were interested.

It won't happen unless one party is willing to extend the handshake first.

I cannot speak for the owner, so I can only do what I have indicated.  If anyone from another forum wants to talk to him, the best way is to get in touch as I have outlined above.

You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2020, 08:46:19 AM »
@Irisado- Good to see you too!

@Myen-Tal- Thanks so much buddy yeah it great to chat with you guys again! To be clear, playtesting is not a payed job, but it requires TONS of work and a ton of digital coordination, both across the pond and with my team which is both local and elsewhere across the US. But yes now that I've gotten used to the workload I definitely want to come back and chat with you guys.

@Alienscar- Thanks so much buddy it really means a lot. Oh yeah I can get into my perspective on those changes as a playtester. I'll make a note of this and make a post soon. Maybe we can start a Q&A thread or something. I do have an NDA but there is tons of stuff I can talk about.

@Calamity- Thanks so much bud. Glad to be back!

Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2020, 03:47:14 PM »
Hey guys, just thought I'd pop my head in to comment.

As with Cav, my life has been insanely busy, which necessitated me stepping back considerably. I'm attending a 6 month long course at the moment, which allows precious little time to myself. On top of that, I'm going through the early stages of divorce proceedings whilst selling a house and trying to find somewhere to live in my future place of employment; as Iri said 'life stuff'...but it really has taken me out of the hobby loop for several months.

I still pop my head in occasionally to check on various projects and things and it pleases me no end when I see some of the newer veterans really producing high level content and stoking the creative fires.

So yeah, forums wax and wane. Some people stay throughout, while others move on. The key is that those that remain are active, because activity inspires activity. Raise a debate, tell people about your fan fiction, show off that cool piece of terrain or new painted unit, or just let us know how well you curb-stomped someone at the weekend.

I will come back at some stage, when life evens itself out for me...just consider me to be like Lion El'Jonson. I'm healing up and getting ready and when I'm needed I'll paint 3 models in 6 months and take a billion photos of them.

Take it easy fellas.

Also, if Cav really is back...that may stoke my completive fires enough to paint some stuff...no pressure Cav  :-*
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2020, 06:02:24 PM »
@Looshkin: So glad that you've checked in on us, Loosh! I was growing concerned about your absence, as I know you were going through some turbulent times. Sorry to hear about the divorce man :(, but you've proven yourself strong and adaptable. I hope you two are parting ways in a way that's best for you both and everyone involved.

We'll be here when you ready to return :).
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2020, 06:29:19 PM »
Thanks Myen'Tal. We're actually in a decent place. We still love each other; unfortunately we just can't really live with each other. So we're on good terms and leaving with sadness and regret, not anger and bitterness. It helps provide a better environment for mini Loosh, which is the most important thing.

I've got to get going to plan for work tomorrow...if I don't do that I may end up breaking out the paints and finishing the last 2 members of The Splintered Fang which I started months ago...
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2020, 10:10:16 AM »
@Loosh- Hey buddy long time no chat. So sorry about your divorce man. That is very tough. I hope the rough road, leads to a better spot for you though my friend. I'd love to see what you are working on paint wise right now and we can get our old rivalry stoked up again. I think I've only really improved in my approach to painting and marginal upgrade in airbrush technique... so you may have me beat, but I think I'm painting smarter with better schemes... and a better approach to textures and stuff like that. Probably not doing the best job of explaining but we can talk it out in the project logs!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2020, 12:51:05 AM »
Necromancer now I guess..  but fairly appropriate considering the topic lol.

I think a big thing we, as the members of this forum can do, is not only help post and create discussions, but also link back to those.

When on Facebook, and you see the 10,000th question on how to run wind riders correctly it would be good if we could link them to a discussion about such on here - just as an example.

Use the other forms of social media that are not as good for these kinds of discussions to promote the place that is..

And I'll be the first to say, I need to get better at doing just that.
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2020, 10:41:09 AM »
Absolutely.  Personally, I want to get back to contributing on a daily basis but my job is constantly interfering with that plan.  I might seriously jack it in, but anyway, I will try to contribute what I can when I can.  I recently started up my project blog again, so that’s a start.  :)

Oh and sorry to hear about that too Looshkin.  Hope everyone’s doing ok.