News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)  (Read 57479 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)
« Reply #400 on: November 9, 2019, 11:25:03 AM »
Great work on that trukk, DoW, absolutely loving the blue stripes on it! Gives it so much personality that just screams Death Skullz!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #401 on: November 9, 2019, 12:33:30 PM »
Oh boy do I love it. How many ultra smurfs did you have to "CRUSH THHA BONES, GRIND THE TEEF'S! to make the blue.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #402 on: November 20, 2019, 09:52:22 AM »
Thanks guys, I absolutely love painting that blue camo pattern, but it certainly does not make it lucky. It's bit the dust turn 1 every game I've played. Most likely because its the only trukk on the field and an obvious target. I think I'll have to shelf him for a bit until I get some more trukks.

I've been playing a game almost every week now at my LGS and I'm learning at an exponential rate. I've played both ITC and ETC games and I much prefer ETC games, which seem way easier to track scoring. The guys at my LGS wanted to start a Youtube channel for batreps, so you may see me having some games online in the near future.

So as promised, here's some Shokk Attack Gun Big Meks;

I started with the old Shokk Attack Gun from the original metal models and added them to nob bodies and fleshed them out with some nob and loota bits.

Once I added some paint, I think they turned out quite well.

Now, in the frequent games I've been playing I've been having issues with my mega armoured nobs suffering from not having a waaagh! character nearby, so I thought that they might benefit from a warboss of their own.

Decided to go cheap on the points and not make him a mega armoured warboss. Hopefully I'll be smart enough to keep him behind my MANz, so he can't be targeted and hope my opponent is limited on snipers. I might look for a used ghazghkull model online to convert, if I have issues keeping him alive.

Now I had a few left over points, especially since I dropped the skorchas from my MANz and thought I might as well sneak in a Mek Gun.

Smasha gunz are pretty cheap, but effective. Let's see how it fairs in my next game.

I've got a game lined up tomorrow at my LGS and another at my buddies place this Saturday. I haven't played a game against him in a year and he really wants to learn to play with his stratagems  and tactical objectives, so it'll be a fun learning experience.

Here's the list that I'm bringing to both games:

Goff Battalion

Warboss attack squig, big choppa, shoota
Warboss attack squig, big choppa, shoota
Warboss attack squig, power klaw, shoota

Meganobz x3 kustom shoota, power klaw
Meganobz x3 kustom shoota, power klaw
Painboy

Slugga boyz x29 + power klaw nob
Slugga boyz x29 + power klaw nob
Shoota boyz x29 + power klaw nob

Bad Moons Battalion

Big Mek Da Souped-up Shokka, warlord w/ Big Killa Boss
Big Mek SAG
Big Mek SAG

Gretchin x10
Gretchin x10
Gretchin x10

Lootas x12

Goff Spearhead

Weirdboy Warphead Da Jump + Warpath

Deff Dread x4 Dread Klaws
Deff Dread x4 Dread Klaws
Mek Smasha Gun

I've learned my lesson from past games and tried not to take too many klans. The bad moons will be isolated on their own and won't be able to take advantage of the warboss or painboy influeneces, so there's no need to take them as Goffs.

I'll update next week with the results of my games and hopefully something else painted.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 09:15:54 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #403 on: November 20, 2019, 12:47:12 PM »
Hey DoW,

Could you resize the images, if possible. They're really large and it makes it difficult to maneuver and take in the whole image.

What I've gleamed so far looks great, though!

;D ;D ;D

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #404 on: November 20, 2019, 01:19:42 PM »
Sorry about that. They should be fixed now. Normally it auto-sizes them.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #405 on: November 20, 2019, 09:22:56 PM »
That has to be the most adorable smasha gun I've ever seen ;D!

Love what you did with the Big Mek, looks like he means buisness!

I'm really loving how your death skulls are coming together. As my favorite Ork Clan, I'm stoked to see you really bringing their personality and character to life with your techniques and schemes!

Keep it up!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #406 on: November 20, 2019, 09:50:36 PM »
I have to say, WAAAAHHHH! THE colors are great, as always.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #407 on: December 2, 2019, 03:32:31 PM »
Looking good, you should take a snap of the army on the table, bet it looks awesome :)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #408 on: October 14, 2021, 07:00:44 PM »
Hope it`s okay that I`m posting on my plog after almost two years, but in the spirit of Halloween, hopefully some thread necromancy will be tolerated.

Unfortunately, as with a lot of us, Covid changed all the rules and my hobby had to be shelved for a while. I work retail in Ontario, Canada and the lockdowns and subsequent lay offs and overall changes in how we did business took priority over everything. I`ve finally now been double vaccinated and gathered up enough courage to have my first game of 40k in about two years and I can tell you I`ve got the bug again. Since that game last week I`ve dug out and dusted off those pesky eldar and dropped about $150 CAD on some new second hand models. I know, I know, you`re all saying why didn`t I start back up with my orks, especially since they got a new codex and all sorts of shiny new gubbins and that`s exactly why I didn`t. I never really liked playing the hot, new army and always preferred the underdog. Since eldar or aeldari, as they are now called, are about the oldest codex out there, I thought it would be a good place to start.

The game I had last week was with my eldar, and while I`m not going to post a batrep or the list I played with, I will post the list that I built in response to that game. The reason was that I made a ton of mistakes, as it was the first 9th edition game and to be honest I didn`t have the foresight to actual record what was happening. Regardless I learned a ton (much thanks to my opponent) and tweaked what I had, which initiated a lot of those eBay purchases I alluded to earlier.

So here`s the list I`ve come up with. Comments are most eagerly anticipated.

Custom Craftworld - Expert Crafters, Masterful Shots

HQ
Farseer with witchblade (Warlord) - Faolchu`s Wing (Fateful Divergence, Guide, Fortune) Seer of the Shifting Vector

Farseer Skyrunner with witchblade - (Smite, Doom, Executioner)

Karandras

Troops
3 units Dire Avengers - 9 DA, + DA Exarch with dual catapults and bladestorm

Toyed with taking shredding fire, but tried to do the mathhammer on it and with my goal of getting more AP -3 shots, the extra generation of hits from bladestorm seemed to win out.

1 unit 5 man Rangers

Toyed with running a larger windrider unit below, but with me wanting to eventually get into some tournaments in the near future, I thought having a fourth troop choice would be beneficial.

Elites
3 units of 5 striking scorpions + exarch with scorpion`s claw and scorpion`s sting

Getting those mortal wounds every fight phase on a 5+ versus a 6+ was huge in my first game and I wanted to continue with that success.

Fast Attack
2 units of 9 warp spiders + exarch with dual deathspinners and power blades and web of deceit

The web of deceit was fantastic the first game allowing great redeploy after their initial deepstrike.

1 unit of windriders 3 normal and 1 with a shuriken cannon.

My first game I had swooping hawks instead of the jetbikes. They were ho-hum that game and with the addition of a farseer skyrunner to this list, it seemed a natural replacement.

Heavy Support

2 Wraithlords with dual brightlances and twin shuriken catapults

1 unit of 3 war walkers each with dual Starcannons.

I had a unit of dark reapers instead of the war walkers in the first game and they were a priority target for my opponent and as I couldn`t move and fire them well with them being heavy and not a monster or vehicle they ended up being sitting ducks. Hopefully I can fire and fade the war walkers effectively and they would be a good candidate for guide.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 08:25:10 AM by dog_of_war »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #409 on: October 14, 2021, 09:48:21 PM »
Just a quick point, reapers dont suffer from moving and shooting. Always hit on 3 no matter what modifiers.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #410 on: October 15, 2021, 08:23:48 AM »
That's a great point Dread. For some reason I read that rule, but it didn't translate in my head that it would allow them to move and fire. Guess my mind was still stuck in a few editions ago.

In that case, I'll be dropping a wraithlord and a wind rider to make room for a unit of 4 + exarch of dark reapers, with the exarch having rapid shot. I love my wrathlords dearly, but those reapers are great against these 2 and 3 wound marines.

Thanks for the heads up Dread!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 02:59:41 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #411 on: October 15, 2021, 08:52:27 AM »
Welcome back, Dog of War, good to see you back after such a while ;D.

Don't really know much about craftworlds yet to help out though  :-[.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #412 on: October 16, 2021, 12:31:10 AM »
You're so welcome my friend?

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #413 on: October 24, 2021, 10:48:44 PM »
Glad to be back Myen`Tal!

Well, a bunch of my reinforcements arrived and I`ve got a fair bit of them built and primed. Thought I would start off with my warp spiders, which were metal of course, and I do so prefer painting metal minis.

I`ve got them base coated now without any washes or highlights, which are next on the docket.

No new games to report unfortunately. Tried as I might this week to get a game scheduled, most people were busy prepping their armies for the tournament in Toronto this weekend. Hopefully I`ll turn my luck around on that front in the weeks to come.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #414 on: October 25, 2021, 01:32:33 PM »
At least youre getting to play 40k. Were stuck in killteam mode which is okay but you know. Also getting my vamps assembled for AoS and got the little rule book today. Gonna push to get playing that.

Love the spiders. I hope they will be next on the plastics list.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #415 on: October 25, 2021, 05:43:38 PM »

I do so prefer painting metal minis.

Yeah, I think with that era metal, they raised the detail out more and sunk the lines a bit deeper than they current do on plastics. It gives then a chunkier feel, but easier to paint.

Looking good so far, keep it up :)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #416 on: October 27, 2021, 12:05:49 PM »
Warp Spiders looking good!

Can't wait to see your progression on them!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #417 on: November 15, 2021, 10:09:12 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys and apologize for the delay in responding. Missed a step going down the stairs a few weeks ago and totally messed up my back and neck. Its been tough to look at a screen for too long due to the strain and and I can only accomplish a little painting in short bursts, otherwise I'm reaching for the pain meds.

Still no games in since my first with 9th edition a few weeks ago. Hoping to get at least one in before Christmas, but working in retail, it's probably doubtful.

Finishing up on the warp spiders. Got them washed and highlighted, but I still need to base them and pop up the rune stones a little.

With some of my changes to my current eldar list I needed two new exarchs for the dire avengers. Traded in the spear and shimmershield for the cheaper and increased damage output dual avenger shurikens.

Still touching them up a little. The head rune stone on both of them is off, which was really made apparent by the posted photos. The cloth still has no definition, and I haven't picked out a lot of the bric-a-brac on the suits, but those fine details will have to wait for now.

I also grabbed some more dark reapers off of eBay (second released metal) and finally started cobbling together some broken war walkers I got years ago. One of my favourite things is to buy really inexpensive second-hand 40k models off eBay that are in really rough shape and give them a new life. Have all 3 built and primed and I'm hoping to get them finished in the next few weeks.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 10:20:29 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #418 on: November 15, 2021, 10:40:38 PM »
Sorry to hear about the neck and back pain, DoW, hope you recover soon!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #419 on: November 23, 2021, 09:35:34 PM »
Thanks Sir_Godspeed. After a few weeks at the RMT, it has seemed to recover significantly. Well enough in fact that I've been able to finish of some minis enough to be tabletop ready.

I could fiddle with them some more, but I'd really like to flesh out the rest of my army, so that I can get a fully painted army on the table soon.

Never been a huge fan of painting vehicles before, so hopefully this next batch won't be too tedious. The jetbike model being a character might inspire me to do a little extra on the paint job.

2 of the war walkers were eBay rescues and were badly damaged. I was able to patch them up pretty good with minimal green stuff, so I'm pretty happy with the results.

Still no battles on the horizon. Seemed everyone around here was too busy practicing and tweaking their armies for some end of the year tournaments. Right now Dread I'd settle for even a Killteam game.