News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: DE fluff changes  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
DE fluff changes
« on: October 14, 2014, 04:49:22 PM »
I finished reading through the codex and the coven supplement over this past weekend and I while I love the changes and the stories I noticed a few things in particular that were absent that I found distressing.  I fear that the baron and the Duke are gone for good.  I don't remember seeing the baron at all and the duke is briefly mentioned once in the coven supplement. 

I'm happy to see Lady Malys move to the forefront and as an antagonist to Vect.

There was no mention of Vect's personal wraithguard ( I know there is another name for them but I can't find my copy of Path of the Archon).

I'm very happy with the stories and battles mentioned in the fluff.  The wrath of the Haemonculi in particular plays off like a slow burning fuse that won't go off for upwards of a hundred years in some cases. I never realized how old the a Haemonculus could be.  Urien Rakarth predates the fall and has to be, at a minimum, 20,000 years old. I feel like the fluff is moving towards an end times type event or at least some sort of great upheaval of the dark city.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Ghostofman

Re: DE fluff changes
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 05:31:37 PM »
It may be a while before we see some of that stuff again. GW has clearly and understandably gone to a no-model-no-rules plan. The good news is that gone doesn't have to mean forever. It's easily possible that GW may bring them back in a later dex, or add-on supp,  or possibly even release them as a stand-alone release...

I'm not all that excited about the end-times thing. It sounds cool sure, but I can't help but feel like one possible outcome is "Thanks for playing WFB all the way to the end of it's days! If you'd like to continue your favorite hobby of buying GW products please try our 40k line!"

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 06:43:06 PM »
I have to say I am very much enjoying the fluff thus far.

I have not gotten the Coven supplement - is there any reason to beyond the fluff? Are there any new rules/units worth getting?
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 11:31:22 PM »
If you're going to run any coven units then I think it's worth it. I like the grotesquerie: 2 units of grots and 2 haemonculi.  They get to roll on a d6 chart similar to drugs and they have a PFP table that is much more beneficial to coven units from the get go. I also like two of the formations involving talos/chronos. One is a chronos, talos, and haemonculi that can join together. I actually just finished a chronos so I can run this when I play on Thursday.  The third is five talos that are one unit, have scout, and get a victory point for destroying things in cc.

There really is a ton in there fluff wise.  Descriptions of Urien Rakarth's shenanigans, well as the different types of haemonculi disciplines, and the different covens they are a part of. 

I don't necessarily want games workshop to do a 40k end times but I would love to see them advance the storyline.  Something galaxy altering.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 11:35:50 PM »
I don't necessarily want games workshop to do a 40k end times but I would love to see them advance the storyline.  Something galaxy altering.

Won't happen. As anything galaxy altering is going to piss off more fractions than it's going to please and pissed off fractions don't buy as many products. We've had the promises before and they turned out to be weak sauce across the board.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 11:24:01 AM »
GW has clearly and understandably gone to a no-model-no-rules plan.

Yeah, but of the 5 new models/sets that came with this Codex, 4 of them already existed (admittedly in Finecast, which GW seems to be trying to move away from).  Personally, I would rather have had Sliscus, Sathonyx and Malys (or Vect, or Kheradruakh) rather than a new Archon, Succubus and Haemonculus.

Also, the Wracks are nice, but I think Grotesques had a greater need of a plastic makeover - we are still stuck with a single (expensive, finecast) model with a single pose for a unit that has a minimum size of 3.  Fortunately, there are plenty of options to convert other minis to fill this gap.

In fact, returning to the subject of fluff ... are we the only book of recent times not to get any new units?  Because even the one truly new thing we got (Voidraven) already existed in the rules/fluff from the last book? Space Woves got the Stormfang; Orks got Morkanauts/ Gorkanauts; AM got Wyvern, Taurox, Bullgryns; Daemons got chariots and plague drones; Nids got the Hive Crone/Harpy; Smurfs got Centurions, Hunter/Stalker and Flyers; and Tau and Eldar got big walkers and flyers.

Not sure if the Grey Knights got anything though, nor the Sisters of Battle.

On the one hand, I don't mind, on the basis that I think we already have a good variety of units and almost uniformly great models (except perhaps the new Archon).  On the other hand, it does give the impression that perhaps they just couldn't be bothered to apply any imagination to this codex...