News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: And the spires came crashing down (game-thread)  (Read 15096 times)

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
And the spires came crashing down (game-thread)
« on: November 12, 2012, 06:53:04 AM »
The Rhino 834-R rattles, careering over the blasted landscape at what has to be maximum speed for the vehicle, indicating that it is far from perfectly maintained. Some of the gear-lockers are unlocked, rattling and slamming, some of the lids missing or cracked. The lights flicker when a boulder is shoved out of the way, showering debris that clatter and bang down on the top of the armoured top.
The driver, strapped in with four out of the eight straps, turns in his seat and calls back to you all in the back compartment. “Sorry about that, everyone. I am just pushing this crate as hard as it will take. You can turn on the holo in a minute, I just need to get out of this canyon.”

A minute or so later the rattling subsides to a motorized humming as the gearboxes, seats and walls just shimmy a bit. The lights are steady, and the holo comes to life. Arbul Nek, chief administrator for the terraformed and controlled regions of Ulson appear on the screen, his heavy bionic eye and pleasant smile carrying well over the green holo-orb display.

“Ah, there you are. Thank you for waiting. On this most urgent matter I have had to call you all to service, and I apologize for any inconvenience.

You are currently… [he checks something offscreen] just about over the Bulbous Sulfur Wastes and should be coming up on the mountainrange shortly, where I will lose transmission. I will therefore have to be brief.

In the mountains we have set up a small research station, designation Heiken L-88, just at the edge of the terraformed range. Nothing special, just running research on the newly formed terraformed lands, base geology studies, that sort of thing. 26 people living and working there on 8 month rotations. They had their last supply drop three months ago, which was handled from orbit, not by me or my administration, and have filed regular reports since. Four days ago we had a seismic disturbance, light over the horizon and a triggering of most of the RAD-sensors this half of the hemisphere. I cannot order flyovers in this region, normally due to the winds and dust, but now because of the rad-count. I have no orbital assets, so a ground-inspection is called for. That’s you.

I just need to know what happened and if communications can be restored. If they need medical attention then I need to know that too. Your transport will stop when the ground becomes impassable for it, and you have to walk the last few clicks. You won’t be in comm-range from there, but the facility has extended range antenna-arrays, so if you get those up and running you should be able to call in. If this is not an option just get back to the transport and call in from there.

Oh yes, there was one more thing. Just before the seismic sensors triggered we saw something, briefly, flash on the orbital approach vectors. Too big to be a meteor, too fast to be a ship. It is entirely possible that this was not accidental. Also, we picked up part of a transmission, but it was  not directed at us, but at someone else, off orbit, and heavily scrambled. I’ll play it for you.”

The screen flickers and a heavily mangled signal comes through, with a face barely discernible through the static, calling out something that is half voice and half white noise. Some words cut through, mostly garbled, and then, for an instant, the signal is clear, and the voice carries, the face that of a man in his late 50s, with glasses, Imperial Signia tattoos on his face and neck, and blood on his collar.
“I repeat – blink 6 has failed! [static crackles] Rad at 822! [static and high-pitched feedback] beacon! It is call[the face warbles, the voice turning to hissing as the transmission cuts out].”

The administrator comes back on screen.
“That was chief researcher Fosselius. He is senior physicist, and rally overqualified, but transferred to the post a few years ago, part of his retirement I guess. I have no idea what “blink 6” is, neither does anyone else I have consulted, but a rad-count of 822 seems consistent with the drift-in we get on the wind down here.”

[There is a high-pitched whining over the speakers.]
“That’s it – you are moving out of range. If you have any questions, this is the time to ask them.”

[meta note. A rad-count of 822 at a site would be lethal, not immediately, but for an unaugmented human it is not good news. The primer states to eat two greens and one blue to be ok, for about three days. You all carry that dose, but not any additional ones, as part of your kits. A marine is not bothered by things under rad 1k.]

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
Re: And the spires came crashing down (game-thread)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 11:46:25 AM »
[ooc] As a medic, would I have anything in my kit to help any survivors with the rads? [/ooc]

"822 Rads! beslubber sir, did I hear that right?" Alex asked. "And you said that this meteor hit 4 days ago... not much chance of survivors sir. Not much at all."

Alex looked around the cabin of the vehicle and surveyed the other squad members. Only one Space Marine was present. She had long since gotten over her awe of them, having served with and even attempted to patch one up before. That was a mistake. She had almost died for that act of generosity. Apparently wolves are not easily tamed.

So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 03:12:14 PM »
"If it's not a meteor, and not a ship, sir, then my first guess is munitions," Calne noted. "I want to say it's a screw-up at a defence silo, but we'd know about it. And in any case they just don't do that."

The Space Marine across from her tilted his head slightly to regard her, and Calne began to wonder if the ochre giant knew differently. She'd always known the huge surface-to-orbit batteries on Indeli to be protected by the blessings of the Omnissiah's servants, the ones on Issana likewise; then again, she'd been there at the defence of Silo 421-Lambda, and she'd watched as the half-dozen torpedoes inside had been launched solely to stop the Orks from getting any ideas.

It hadn't worked, of course, as they'd gotten different ideas anyway, but at least the explosions had been pretty when the torpedoes turned millions of Orks into vapour.

She looked across at the rest of the Rhino's occupants. Barring the Space Marine, who seemed above scrutiny, there was the medic, Dahn, who'd already demonstrated the extent of her linguistic ability; the sniper, Kaltos, about whom she knew nothing and cared even less; Grame, who -- with his fancy guns and a uniform that was almost too clean -- might've been a noble's brat, merely playing at being a soldier, if the metal on his face hadn't denoted him as a junior coghead; and Correll, the Siccian who seemed more like a deserter than an assault veteran. Calne had no doubts that they, in turn, thought less-than-kind things about her, "cityslicker joygirl" and "crazy bomber be-atch" possibly being the least inventive. It didn't matter. She wasn't here to play nice.

Calne shifted in her restraints, the belts of grenades for her launcher -- twelve frag, twelve krak -- digging uncomfortably into her spine, as the Rhino jolted again on the uneven terrain.

---

(OOC: The above isn't a reflection of how I see your characters; it's a reflection of Calne being quick to judge.)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 03:23:41 PM by Koval, Savant Preceptor »

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
  • Armies: Deffskullz
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 04:50:09 PM »
Specks looked around at those in the Rhino, his cybernetic eyes producing a whirring sound as they adjusted to take everyone in. There was one he knew to be a member of the adeptus astartes, but having been raised up by the machine cult he did not know to be in awe. A rather attractive grenadier, who looked less than happy to be here. A medic who was clearly not terribly well educated, but that didn't mean he did not know his job. A young private carrying the most peculiar assortment of gear, including some Accatran pattern weapons. Finally a man in black fatigues, a sniper judging by his equipment.

He had at first been wondering what mission could he possibly be being called on, especially when he saw the veterans he had been chosen with. Now he understood that he had only been chosen for his ability to fix the antenna-array. That is what had happened to his entire regiment he recalled, divided up among a dozen others to provided technical support. But at least he was doing something. Once the chief administrator had answered the medic's question he would ask about the antennas, it would be best to know what he was to be working on.

Offline ranger_scout

• For the Emperor and the Imperium!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 08:01:35 PM »
Enoch just looked around slowly and passivly if unimpresed by the whole group leaving his curisoity to his head.  He was sure that he was not the only member of the team wondering why this group was assymbeld.  He looked back down at his fine tuned instrument of death and remained quite for the rest of the ride waiting until he needed to speak, remaing in thought and as always in quite listening.

Offline DeadDuck1015

• Armies: Imperial Guard, Vampire Counts
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 12:13:50 AM »
Jahn remained largely silent for most of the trip, letting out the occasional grunt as the chimera hit a bump in the road. The technical talk didn't much concern him, that a facility went dark was all he needed to know. That said, he was content to cradle his shotgun and listen to his companions. They seemed competent enough, but you never really knew until the las-bolts started flying. Still, having a space marine around never hurt.
"Our end is come, but what an end! We have been given the most precious gift: a chance to roar our defiance into the foe that overwhelms us with their numbers. Let the Emperor Himself hear our final battle cry! Forward, warriors of the Guard, and die like the heroes you are!"

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 12:38:30 AM »
Arms folded across his massive chest, Zhar regarded the mortals around him with ill-concealed rancour. He was little pleased by their presence. A single Astartes would be more than equal to this task, and even without the human-lethal radiation levels their presence would only serve to hinder him. Zhar had said as much to the Chief Administrator, but the man had been aggravatingly insistent. He might have understood the presence of tech-adepts, but these appeared to be warriors, insofar as the term could be applied to mortals. It was galling that they were even deemed necessary.

One of the females, Zhar could not recall her name or if he had even bothered to learn it, spoke up, and he tilted his head slightly to regard her. The movement was as fluid and precise as an auto-targeting sensor acquiring a lock.

"If it's not a meteor, and not a ship, sir, then my first guess is munitions," she said. "I want to say it's a screw-up at a defence silo, but we'd know about it. And in any case they just don't do that."

"Speculation is a waste of time," Zhar growled, the bass rumble of his voice filling the confined space. "We'll find out for ourselves soon enough.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 03:29:36 AM »
[The voice crackles a bit as the transmission starts to fail.]
“No, a munitions malfunction is out of the question. Nothing in theater has that range nor yield, and like I said; I have no orbital assets, Private Calne.
And yes indeed Private Dahn, but the facility itself is on the edge of the habitable zone and has heavy external and internal rad-shielding, and a heavily reinforced internal shelter. It is possible that survivors could hide in there. If possible you c[whiiiiiine] thr…. [crackle].
Yes, it appears you are going off range. Best of luck everyone. Report back with all due haste. Lives depend on you.”

The transmission warbles and then cuts out, the green holographic display grows dark, leaving you all in the flickering lights of the back compartment of the rhino as it rattles along the toxic wasteland leading to the foot of the mountains.

The winds gust against the side of the rhino and there is a pinging of rocks as it bounces off the hardened armoured shell. The driver pulls the APC up behind some massive jutting boulders and calls back.

“This is as far as I can go, Privates, Brother. I will let you disembark and then pull out to find shelter nearby. Either you establish communications from the site or you come down here and patch it through me. I will be on site here for four days or until I get a recall. Pop the hatch and out you go.”

The hatch opens and there is a howling of the wind, the stench of badly burned sulfur and decay, ozone and ash. It is not uncommon for terraforming to release the very worst a world can offer. Zhar can smell something else on the wind too; burning ceramite and permacrete, used in walls and blast shielding, and something else burning you can’t quite identify. It is faint but coming from uphill.

You are at the base of jagged mountains, with no discernible road leading up, just a few foot-paths. Obviously this was built without the use of manpower coming in on the ground. It looks like a rough walk, but not quite a climb, up to whatever is on the plateau up there, now hidden behind jagged peaks and thick veils of swirling dust caught in the wind, whipping between them.

[faitherun: you have some rad-treatment meds, not heavy inoculations or anything like that, but some treatments if you find survivors. Nothing like 20-30 doses, but a handful, depending on severity.]
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:52:12 AM by Rasmus »

Offline Heretek

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 04:20:59 AM »
Rising from the bench seat, Zhar strode to the exit hatch. He sniffed the air for a moment, like a bloodhound searching for its quarry. His preternatural senses picked up traces of burning rockcrete and ceramite on the wind. There was something else on the wind as well, some spoor he did not recognise. That was good; perhaps there was something to kill scuttling around in the ashes.

“The outpost is still burning, or it has only recently ceased to,” he said, not looking back at the others. “I would not hold out hope for many survivors.”

Turning, Zhar hauled open one of the few intact equipment lockers remaining in the Rhino. First, he retrieved his helm; the snarling Maximus pattern made fiercer by the feral designs etched into its surface. Locking the helmet into place with a ‘hiss-snap’ of connecting cables and seals, tactical data began streaming across his vision as the machine spirit of his wargear woke to battle readiness.

Next, he armed himself. His bolt pistol went into a holster hand-tooled from ork hide, along with a pair of spare magazines. He mag-clamped his chainsword to the opposite thigh, a brutal weapon the length of a grown man’s arm with a single, heavy edge like a butcher’s knife. Zhar cradled his massive bolter in his gauntleted hands, its sling fashioned from the same dark leather as the holster of his pistol. Three magazines for the bolter were stowed in pouches on his belt.

Stomping down the ramp, Zhar swept his gaze around the immediate area, bolter raised to his shoulder. With no targets in sight, he lowered the weapon and glanced back up the hatch.

"Come on then, if you're coming."

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
  • Armies: Deffskullz
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 08:09:23 AM »
Sophos got up with the largest smile on his face. With some effort he opened his locker, the lock mechanism being in poor condition. He then started to hurridly readying himself, holstering his pistol, shouldering his large tool bag, and putting on his grey helmet. Which he looked quite comical in, almost like he had the head of a large robotic insect. The last thing he grabbed was his Triplex pattern lasrifle, and he flipped it on to the highest power setting.

He quickly followed behind the Astartes. His eyes whirred wildly as they adjusted to the new light level. He stopped on the ramp to scan the surrounding area, looking for anything that stood out. Maybe a scorch marking, some shrapnel from a meteor, a piece of scrap, anyhting...

Offline DeadDuck1015

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 08:44:27 AM »
Private Correll got to his feet, slinging his shotgun across his back and retrieving his lasgun and the rest of his gear as he followed Private Grame down the rear ramp, helmet sitting slightly askew atop his head. As he stepped out into the open air he looked around, taking in their surroundings.

"Well...this is pleasant."
"Our end is come, but what an end! We have been given the most precious gift: a chance to roar our defiance into the foe that overwhelms us with their numbers. Let the Emperor Himself hear our final battle cry! Forward, warriors of the Guard, and die like the heroes you are!"

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 11:43:37 AM »
Alex got up unsteadily to her feet. The smell poring into the cab was horrendous. She went over to the locker and acquired her gear. A las gun was slung around on her back and a medical satchel over one shoulder from which she dug an auspex. She attached her rebreather as a precaution, and hoisted her las pistol in one hand venturing out into the unprotected air.

She looked around at the giant of a once-man astartes, and checked her response to his flippant remark about survivors. Instead she simply quoted, "The Emperor protects"

Alex fell in behind him, paying close attention to her auspex.

So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 02:44:40 PM »
Calne unslung her lasgun and dismounted swiftly, making sure her goggles and rebreather were in place as she stepped off the rear ramp.

Her first thought, as she looked around, was that the terrain wasn't all that dissimilar to Issana. It smelled vile, naturally, but it wasn't as bad as the Pellannon Wastes; then again, she wasn't currently hip-deep in dead Orks either, so there would be no blaming the greenskins for the stench. The lack of buildings was of course disorienting, too, but she didn't let it show. Asthani was distant and bore little relevance here.

"Well, this is pleasant," sniped Correll from in front of her.

"We're not here to admire the view," Calne answered, panning her lasgun warily as she slid around to the left side of the group.

She'd thought about having her launcher out and ready, but without any knowledge of what was waiting for them, chambering a grenade this early would be pointless at best and wasteful at worst. On the other hand, with four spare cells for her lasgun and two spare for the laspistol, Calne could happily rely on the lasgun for the time being.

"So which of us is taking point?"

Offline ranger_scout

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 07:30:32 PM »
     Enoch got out of the vehcile quitly and soflty stepped up to the front of the group as all his gear remained on his person.  slowly the sniper wraps his cammo cloak across his face to prevent the breating of stray dust and prevent the iritaion across his face. 

The Private said muffeld now behind his cloak "I will scout ahead staying in veiw range and signal if something comes up?"  Encoh quitly starts to slip ahead smotly, las rifel craddeled in the knoock of his arms willing to stop if any one has any objections to his gesture to scout...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 07:59:33 PM by ranger_scout »

Offline Heretek

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 05:33:34 AM »
"I will lead. Try to keep up."

Zhar moved past the black-clad man and started up the rough trail. Moving at a relentless, ground-eating pace, he threatened to leave the others behind. In truth, he was holding himself back; he judged the mortals would be able to match him so long as they could maintain a quick march over the rough terrain.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 06:49:03 AM »
Pushing up the rough trail leading up the foot of the mountain, the wind gusts and pulls at you. Behind you the heavy metallic clang of the hatch slamming shut rings out, the engines revs up and the rhino pulls out of the shade of the boulder to pull into some better shelter. The wind gusts and howls, tearing at your clothes and unsteadies your step, the Astartes completely unaffected of course.
Zhar, moving ahead, moves up the slope ahead of the rest of the group. The wind whips and howls all around the lone soldier ahead of the group, moving up the trail. It winds and curves, hooking around boulders and jagged outcroppings, the dust coating everything, or drifts around the feet of the walking. Enoch moves behind the hulking soldier, easily keeping up.
Pushing up, in silence under the wind, slowly, an hour passes. From up ahead between the peaks there is a definite crackling, rolling and thundering sound, and at odd intervals the mountain shakes gently.
Enoch and Zhar rounds a corner and stops in his tracks, dropping into cover, but still, in disbelief, motioning to the rest of the group.
As you catch up you can look out over a plateau overshadowed by two looming peaks. At the far end of this plateau a hardened squat facility sits, with a few silos and support structures dotted around the plateau, with a few permastrip roads crisscrossing between them. Most of the outlining structures are either razed or on fire.
The main structure looks relatively intact, but from its ventilation thick black smoke is pumping. The few visible slits in the front of the hardened building show flickering lights from within, arcing electricity hits the antennae on the roof, as the main communication dish some two hundred meters in front of the building lay smashed under a massive boulder.  The wind here is stiller than on the trail, but the dust is still whirling up here in red and brown devils and dervishes.
However, what has stopped your progress completely is the massive structure now jutting out of the peak to the left of the facility. It is massive, hundreds of meter long, a long spire with several towers and wing-like sides, and it appears to have smashed into the mountain, embedding itself into it, scattering massive boulders like drops around the impact of a rock in a still pond. The entire ship is either crumbling, falling in pieces onto the plateau or onto the mountain itself, on fire, burning in reds, blues and greens, smoke billowing out everywhere, or cracked, groaning and shrieking as the weight is slowly breaking it apart.
The ship is most definitely not human in design, and not an ork hulk. Even with a cursory glance it is Eldar in design, but not of any type you have ever seen before, not a ship of the line, or part of the primer, a silhouette to look for in the sky prior to invasion. This is something else.
As you stare part-way in disbelief you see one of the lesser hatches on the main facility fall open off its hinges, thick black smoke billowing out, and a human form, in what appears to be a burned and blood-washed white lab-coat falls through, and lay still in the dust and ash, some three hundred meters from your current position.

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 12:55:02 PM »
Alex was steadily climbing behind the Giant, as she had taken to calling him in her head, and the scout. Climbing was boring though, and after she had assigned mental names to the rest of the party (Ghost, who was right behind Giant; Shiny, the one with all the tools; Stubs was caring their only shotgun; and The Chick, well, that was the only other girl). For now, those names would do.

But that only took up half the climb. Alex was bored again so she began to hum, until The Chick shot her a dirty look.

Somehow, Alex found herself at the back of the party. So when they all stopped, she was the last to see the ship.

"Damn, but aint she a fair sized meteor?" Alex whistled.
Just then her auspex gave a short chime, and one of the hatches falls out, followed shortly by a man.

"Well, time to get to work then," Alex says, as she starts down towards the man, still humming all the way.
Flawless logic.

Offline ranger_scout

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 08:18:48 PM »
Scouting behind the agressive marine Enoch is wondering how they are going to make it though this mission if this hot headed barbarian of a astaties, keeps plowing ahead and not woking with the team.  Eventually after a quick run which was not his intial plan or pace they turn a corner to see the gian ship and structure. 

Enoch slips into cover and slowly peers over it belending his movemnt speed with the flowing dust.  He slowly brings his rifel to bear over the obstical as well to get a better veiw.  His precious instrument now lined up Enoch sites down his optics and takes a now closer look at the structure and ship trying to provide more infromation for the team but is unsure of the craft other then it's Eldar like nature.  Seeing movement the snipers aim drifts down to what is now visibly a human coming out of the broken structure enoch dials in to adjust to the conditions and continues to observe the entirity of the situation that now lays before him.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:20:32 PM by ranger_scout »

Offline DeadDuck1015

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 08:27:47 PM »
Pvt. Correll had fallen into step behind the space marine and and the medic. He managed the climb well enough, and found largely what he'd expected to of the facility, so, no surprises there. The surprise was sticking out of the mountainside nearby.

"Throne on earth...don't see that every day." He muttered as he stared at it. He got the creeping suspicion that they'd be climbing into that thing later on. Luckily that unpleasant train of thought was interrupted when the hatch fell open. As the medic started off towards the injured (or dead) man, Correll followed her, lasgun scanning the area for threats.

"Looks like you're up."

Offline Heretek

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 09:21:46 PM »
"Eldar... Interesting."

Zhar grinned behind his helmet as they stared up at the crashed xenos ship. With any luck, there would be a few still left alive after the crash. The dying race's warriors were a test in battle second only to other Astartes. The unnatural speed and grace with which they waged war elevated them beyond the likes of the orks, or mere humans.

Cocktails of combat hormones were spiking through his system at the sight of the alien craft and the thought of impending battle, the chemicals boosting his already formidable aggression and reflexes.

His attention diverted for a moment by the sight of the burning wreck, Zhar had failed to notice two of the mortals were already scrambling down toward the facility. With a growl of annoyance, Zhar set off down the slope after them, bolter locked at his shoulder and sweeping across the area. The appearance of a human survivor just in time for their arrival was either remarkable fortitude, or a trap. When dealing with the Eldar, Zhar was more inclined to the latter.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 09:27:36 PM by Khemri. »