News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Comic Book Concept Art  (Read 23742 times)

Offline thebrassthief

• Thievery: Crime, career, art
Re: Comic Book Concept Art
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2010, 10:48:22 AM »
Very cool designs.
[11:35] xx-Vassili-xx: what the f*** is deathwing
[11:35] xx-Tape-xx: Dark Angels.
[11:35] xx-Tape-xx: Terminators only.
[11:35] xx-Tape-xx: Final Destination.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2010, 03:06:19 PM »
I've seen alot of artists who are badass at drawing mechanical stuff and equipment, but really struggle at drawing faces... you do both very well. Kudos to that! :D

Now all I want to see is a squad of infantry advancing alongside a mecha. :D

Offline Kaiizen

• Best Painted Fire Warriors
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2010, 03:26:28 PM »
Now all I want to see is a squad of infantry advancing alongside a mecha. :D

That actually sounds like an excellent composition. I'm going to work out some bugs first though because that sounds like a rather large project. I know it's not entirely apparent but my style has been rapidly changing and I'm still learning. I used to be a figure artist and I specialized in photo realism and I did a lot of gesture drawing. Professionally when I did illustration work I was required to emulate someone elses' style so this is my first time actually developing something uniquely my own.

It's difficult to describe the process, having worked with established styles and then all of a sudden trying to create something on my own has been very difficult. It was actually necessary for me to go back to basics for awhile and it has been extremely difficult trying to unlearn everything that I had previously learned. Basically though I'm still not 100% happy with the things I've produced so far, they're missing the polish that I'm so used to seeing. Until I get there sadly there isn't going to be a lot compositionally impressive pieces and obviously no comic pages.

Once I start producing the comic I need to be consistent and in order for me to be consistent I have to be happy with the work I'm producing. Which is kind of self defeatist because I'm never completely happy with anything I produce =\.

Offline burgers4me

• Burgers, The Delicious Graduate
    • Story of The Gods (SotG)
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2010, 06:31:20 PM »
Perfection is the goal that we all strive for. DON'T!

Remember what you are doing Kaiizen, a comic book. So it doesn't neccesarily need to perfect in your eyes, but amazing in others.
(I can happily say it is truly awesome already!)
I believe that you are already ready. You characters do look unique and defined, and so does the world you have created for them.

If you are having troubles with 'characters being unique' then take an A5 sketchbook and just draw. On each page, draw a sketch of a character. Draw little scenes, and difficult poses. Above all repeat again and again, with different main characters. If you are anything like me, than you style will be in your hands. Just by practise, your characters will become easy to draw, and unique to you.

You already have all the experience you need Kaiizen, now you just need to emulate the 'style' you draw instinctively.

"Everything in the interenet is a repost of a repost"

Stupid quote, right idea. You will always think, "Crap, I stole that from Eldar and that from X-Men" because you know where the ideas come from. Don't worry, because we just see your design!

Burgers! is deliciously motivational!
What, Wait?

Why do I even have this thing...

"There is no such thing as a bad story. Just one that can be improved."

Offline Kaiizen

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2010, 01:16:34 PM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence, there are some pretty major technical details I'll need to work out though before I really start into the meat of this thing. I don't think any artist is ever 100% satisfied  with their work, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. There's always a drive to experiment and get better.

"Everything in the interenet is a repost of a repost"

A teacher used to tell me that 'nothing is created in a vacuum'. Meaning that everyone is influenced by their surroundings, things they see or experience. You cannot create anything without outside stimulation because inspiration has to come from somewhere. I don't worry necessarily that an idea isn't completely original because there is no such thing as a truly original idea. The only things I do worry about are obvious copy wright infringement or ideas being seen as something I did not intend.

Offline Kaiizen

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2010, 07:02:35 PM »
So I'm having a little trouble deciding on a name for a new battle frame design I came up with. It seems to resemble a bird of prey or some other sort of avian but nothing really seems to 'fit'.

The weapon systems are mostly missile based. There is a back mounted Submunition launcher that fires numerous small guided missiles intended for destroying light vehicles infantry and wreaking havoc with shielding systems (it fires salvos on multiple trajectories similar to something out of macross). The larger TOW weapon system fires surface to surface missiles for dealing with heavier armor. The right arm weapon is a Plasma cannon that can deal with infantry and vehicles in case of an ammunition shortage.

Just a little back story on it, maybe it'll give people some ideas.

Offline Rudkin

• Fio'ui Kais
  • Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2010, 11:53:15 PM »
So I'm having a little trouble deciding on a name for a new battle frame design I came up with. It seems to resemble a bird of prey or some other sort of avian but nothing really seems to 'fit'.
The first thing that came to mind when I saw that was "Mantis". I'm not quite sure why, but it strikes me as being at least vaguely similar to a praying mantis. That, and it's a cool word.  :P

I must say, I'm quite impressed with your style, Kaiizen. I really don't know what to say other than good job, and good luck!

Oh, but I will say this: I think I preferred the "deep shadows" look you did in the one portait. It really does provide more depth and shape to the image.

Offline Kaiizen

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2010, 12:14:56 AM »
Hmm, that's an interesting name idea and I had thought of it before for another machine. The problem comes from the words derivation which is that Mantis is latin for Prophet, which might be a good name for a Zero Type battle frame (the ones the Elements use) but might be a little over the top for a mass production model Battle Frame.

Sadly, every time I come up with a decent sounding name I find that it's already been taken by Battle Tech (damn battle tech and their millions of battle mechs). That includes Warhawk, Griffon, Gyrfalcon, Black Lanner, Goshawk and just about any other interesting hawk name you can think of. Maybe I should start looking into more predatory insects (although it does kinda remind me of a grasshopper, thats ALSO a battle tech mech... sigh).

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2010, 02:16:05 PM »
I was thinking "Raptor" as soon as I saw it. It does have that feel, and the name is nice. It's also established enough so that no other setting can claim that they "own" the term.

If you're going for a grasshopper-related term, then I suggest "Locust". Not my personal choice, but it's a possibility.

Also: it looks awesome.

Offline Kaiizen

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2010, 04:15:10 PM »
Locust would fit it's design... Assault frames are typically fast, agile harassers with light armor. Although they are intended to be a little more heavily armed than I suspect something with the moniker 'locust' would have.

I've also been looking at some mythological beasts. Monsterous snakes and birds like Leviathan, Tiamat, Jörmungandr, Griffon, Phoenix and Roc just to name a few. I'll keep doing research and post what I find here. I've got another drawing lined up to finish too so I'll try to get that done tonight too.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2010, 04:30:22 PM »
Cockatrice suddenly hit my brain.

Offline Kaiizen

« Reply #51 on: May 5, 2010, 09:02:55 PM »
I think I've got the name down to either Mantis or Wyvren. Both a little cheesy but maybe there's no escaping it.

Also, here's a little WiP. This should have been done by now but I've been crazy busy.

Same as the girl I've been drawing most recently but this time she's in her TacArm. No unnecessarily exposed body parts here, this suit is all business.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2010, 02:42:42 AM by Kaiizen »

Offline KBelleau

• "Victory to the Saim-Hann"
    • Riders of the Cosmic Serpent
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2010, 11:27:22 PM »
Simply awesome work you've done.... have you colored any of them?

Offline Kaiizen

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2010, 05:58:07 PM »
Sadly my college education was cut short so I never got involved with color. I'm still learning independently but I'm not proud enough of any of my color work to show it off yet.

Progress is slow at best =\.

Offline KBelleau

• "Victory to the Saim-Hann"
    • Riders of the Cosmic Serpent
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2010, 12:48:34 PM »
Well definitely keep up with it, you've got some real talent. For Artist's there should never be an end to learning, often it is all independent. There should never be a peak in your art... it is always moving forward.

Offline Kaiizen

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2010, 12:50:55 AM »
I can definitely agree with always getting better. I've made massive improvements on my own (you can see examples of it even in this thread). I still have a long way to go until I'm at a level I'll really be satisfied with.

The more I learn though the more I realize it wasn't really my teachers telling me what to do that helped me progress, all they really did was keep me motivated and on track. It's a lot more difficult with independent work but I am still forcing myself never to 'settle' for anything (although at a certain point if I EVER want to draw this comic book I'm going to have to stay consistent).

So I kinda lost the drawing I was working on under a pile of commissions so I haven't had much that I'm free to post here. I did do a few character designs for an upcoming Star Wars: Saga Edition campaign I'm getting involved in though. This one was for one of the female players in our group. A Twi'lek Jedi whom she hasn't decided on a name for yet. She didn't want her to be the atypical Twi'lek flashing tons of skin but I don't really like the idea of super agile melee combatants in a bunch of floppy robes so we came to a compromise.

Offline Kaiizen

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
I'm alive I swear, and here's proof!

Elite Trooper

Mad Scientist?

Been too busy lately to do much comic book related work, nothing revolutionary, just more character designs.

Offline burgers4me

• Burgers, The Delicious Graduate
    • Story of The Gods (SotG)
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2010, 09:49:42 PM »
I love the scientist! But really, a pistol? If he really is a mad scientist couldn't he have a wrist mounted bazooka or something else stupidly impractical? :D

It looks as cool as always.

Burgers!
What, Wait?

Why do I even have this thing...

"There is no such thing as a bad story. Just one that can be improved."

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2010, 08:09:13 AM »
Badassery.

Offline legionnaire

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2010, 12:51:08 PM »
It just keeps getting better and better. Man seeing this stuff really makes me want to pull out some of art work.
There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present".