News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Comic Book Concept Art  (Read 24724 times)

Offline Kaiizen

• Best Painted Fire Warriors
Comic Book Concept Art
« on: March 18, 2010, 11:41:58 AM »
I have been conceptualizing a comic book for the better part of a year now (although one could say that I have been conceptualizing this concept for greater than 10 years as it was first conceived when I was still in high school. This project has become rather ambitious. it wasn't enough for me just clearly define the protagonist and antagonist, I decided to create an entire galaxy from the ground up (one can only assume that I did this because I don't enjoy free time or sleep).

I have always been a fan of this type of Sci-fi, the type with richly developed settings (I'll let your mind wander on that one without mentioning anything specific). I have always wanted to create a 'world' with that sort of depth, but I'm no writer. They say a picture is worth a thousand words though, so it's possible that my literary skill(or lack thereof)is not such a detriment after all. I'll let you all decide.

I am currently no longer in school and as such, my only critiques have been done close family and friends. I welcome feedback (both positive and negative) and if I receive enough I may even post a rough draft of my prologue.

You can get bigger versions of all these images by right clicking and selecting view image.

Offline legionnaire

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Comic Book Concept Art
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 01:14:51 PM »
I have to say i really really like the style. It looks great the characters are nicely detail for a test. I would like to see some more details in clothing and what not later on.

The one thing that was a little off for me was the mech walking shot just the walk for it doesn't look natural.

The human armour looks fantastic nicely detailed and fits the body well.
There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present".

Offline Kaiizen

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 09:42:22 PM »
Thanks for the reply and the kind words. Let me see if I can address your concern

The one thing that was a little off for me was the mech walking shot just the walk for it doesn't look natural.

Unfortunately there is nothing in nature that technically has a reverse leg. Dogs cats birds etc all appear to have reversed joints, but really the 'lower leg' is made up of bones that most people would find in their hands or feet, making them little more than elongated tarsals. What this means is that unless I want to add more joints to the leg then it's just going to look funky when it walks.

I decided that extra joints adds to an already very complicated design both for drawing purposes and an aspect of realism (such as it is). Of course the effect is amplified by the fact that it is a very wide torso design, meaning that in order to get the leg into the center of gravity the hips and legs have to rock a very long way. Just like a human though, if we didn't shift our center of balance every time we took a step we'd simply fall over (It just looks less awkward when we do it because we have to shift far less to one side).

I also wanted to keep the torso as level as possible to provide a stable firing platform while on the move. It's a similar principle to modern day tanks like the Abram's, the main weapon's angle remains the same even while bobbing over hills and sand dunes.

Sorry if I get long winded sometimes, I appreciate the comments and I love talking about the technical aspects and the choices I made while designing these machines. At a certain point though everyone has to realize that the design choices aren't all going to be fully functional. After all, they are giant walking robots and there is little that they can do that a tank can't do better, but sometimes it's fun to sit back and just say "wouldn't it be cool if..."

Offline legionnaire

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 10:15:51 PM »
I see where you are coming with it now. Just looked funny to me is all but after your explanation i understand the idea behind it.

Still it is some great art work. I enjoy the amount of detail and work you put into the mech and armor suits.

The only thing i fell is a little lacking is background art as in the setting for the comic. So a piece of that or samples of the world they are on or in would be nice.
There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present".

Offline Rakuall

• Never bet against the house
  • Hombrew (Chapter/Legion/Swarm/Warband/etc.) FTW
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 10:17:09 PM »
I like the overall look, but that insectoid looking bodysuit doesn't appeal to me. I don't know if it is the helmet wings antennae, or what exactly, but it is not to my personal tastes. It could be because I am usually a very practical guy, no ornamentation, just let serve its purpose. Now, nothing should actively look bad, but the bugsuit (if I may give it a name) seems off. Unless it is the personalized armour of a feminine character, I can't see myself coming to like it.

As to the mech walker thing, you my want to consider a slightly narrower torso, and check out the mech-warrior series (try youtube-ing "mechwarrior 3 intro") you may find some useful inspiration.

Overall, I like the style, and look forward to more.
"I don't believe in no win scenarios." -Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise - NCC 1701
"Why do you always bother me when I'm drinking?" -Max Milini
"That's a relatively open weave and I can still see your nipular area." -Chandler Bing

My brother, now deceased:
http://keegancrack.deviantart.com/

Offline Kaiizen

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 10:28:11 PM »
The only thing i fell is a little lacking is background art as in the setting for the comic. So a piece of that or samples of the world they are on or in would be nice.

That is sadly something I will have to get back to you on. Most time will be spent either on a giant space station/ship or on military vessels. The core ship will resemble a large tube with lots of vegetation built up around the inside of it. Rather than relying on artificial gravity the entire cylinder will spin to create centrifugal force. The by product being that when a person looks into the sky, they will see the ground over their heads. I intended it to be very alien and very disorienting for people that haven't spent much time there.

I will have drawings of that particular ship soon as well as some of the vessels from the flotilla.

@skweeky

Battle tech is probably one of my all time favorite genre's and I am taking a lot of inspiration from it, including the political intrigue.

As for the design of the suit. I'm not particularly attached to it but I do like how 'alien' it appears. Might try a different approach.

Offline Zhar

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 11:47:51 PM »
I really like your drawings! Very smooth line, the 1st one is absolutely great. You have what it takes to make a great comic ! I would love to see more dynamic poses from your characters !

As for the way the walker walks, I think its fine, its smooth and it looks like, it can adapt any terrain.

As for the comment about the bug look of your 2nd armor. I think it's a little bit true, but its the way the front of the helmet and the eyes are positionned. If you like it, perfect, but if you want to change it a little, make those change and it should be a little different. The 1st one doesn't look like a bug, maybe you could just change the helmet a little ?

I would say, either make them all look a little bug like, or not.. but not both designs ! You choose !

Continue your great work, very refreshing !

- Zhar

Offline burgers4me

• Burgers, The Delicious Graduate
    • Story of The Gods (SotG)
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 12:01:14 AM »
Wow. Words do not express the awesome...

I always wanted to use that phrase. ;D I have also dabbled in comics and drawing to varying degrees, but you put me to shame (note: Good thing).

Your character designs are nearly flawless and very lifelike, while still retaining a comic feel. The mech designs are simply AWESOME. Yay for the first mega one.

Have you got a story line for this? Because, with comics, you will literally needs to write an entire story and translate it to panel form. Or at least something like that. I have found you need a set story before you start, or stuff tends to branch and appear at whim. Plus, if you do change something, you can make sure it makes sense in the end! Or you might have to rewrite it.... Who knows :D

Since everyone seems to say it, some of your designs do look alien and bug like and espicially with the walker.

This is because you are breaking stereotype! If it is a Heavy Walker, a running gun platform, then normally it resembles a tank on legs. Lots of very squared lines, and thick squared panels. Your designs are very smooth and built with a lot of flow, something difficult to achieve. I like the style, but if stuff starts to look too 'alien' and some earthy panales and angles. For example, the first giant mech has a look of many small oanels awith more bolter on. Do you get what I am trying to say?

Otherwise, I think it all looks great! and I congratulate you on your prodigious skill!

Burgers!
What, Wait?

Why do I even have this thing...

"There is no such thing as a bad story. Just one that can be improved."

Offline randski

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 08:15:29 AM »
love the clean lines ,
i also think the walking mech looks great ,
it's hard to try and portray movement in a 2d pic  :o
..kudos ,love your work  8)

Offline Kaiizen

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 08:34:09 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate the positive and constructive comments.

Since it's been expressed a few times I think I'll clarify. Two of my main characters are human and the rest are various other races. The designs are supposed to appear somewhat alien but not vastly so. Human beings aren't the most advanced creatures in the galaxy by any stretch so all advanced technology will be decidedly 'alien'.

I don't want to post too many spoilers, but I'll throw my prologue in here after I do a couple minor edits. I have written a basic outline for the first several chapters and there is a conclusion but there is no set path to get there yet. It's all very open ended and the series could run many years based on the ideas I've collected. I have an idea in my head of slow, methodical story telling with lots of character development. Something I think that kills many potentially great comic books is how fast paced they are at times.

Oh, and here's one of the other races just to give you an idea. This is a very quick sketch and early concept so the style is going to look a little unrefined compared to what you've seen so far, don't judge too harshly =).

The legs are too stubby, I'm more than aware. I was struggling to keep the whole form on the page so I just said 'F it' and crammed them in because the lower leg was such an important design element.

Offline burgers4me

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 10:54:54 PM »
Looks cool. Weirdly I saw it thought of the Tau...

On that note, you have this thick set, sturdy and strongly built alien with dainty little hooves. Perhaps a singe cloven hoof? Or some more spread and thicker? The feet just don't really match the body to me.

Otherwise she looks good!

Burgers!
What, Wait?

Offline Kaiizen

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 12:28:42 AM »
heh.. like I said, I was kinda designing her on the fly and she basically turned into a kit bash. I'll have a better picture of her to post very soon with all the corrections you've already mentioned.

As far as the origins, I was going more for a satyr. A lot of people say she looks like a Draenei (if you play world of warcraft) and another of my races looks like something from avatar, even though I based it more on something from the Island of Dr Moreau.

It's all based on whats popular to people at the moment. The Draenei are hardly original, Satyrs and different renditions of them have existed for a several thousand years. The creatures from the Island of Dr. Moreau predate avatar by several decades, but the Navi are whats hot in pop culture right now so that's what I have to deal with.

Ultimately, no creative mind is created in a vacuum. No idea is going to be truly original but that doesn't mean that you can't create something meaningful or uniquely your own. Enough with my prattling though, here's another character.

Offline Rems

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 01:36:23 AM »
Arghhh! A Furry kill it!

seriously though, i like your work, its very clean and crisp. Based on these and the obvious imagination and thought behind them i would gladly read your comic.

Just one question wheres the grimdark?  ;)

Offline legionnaire

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 11:57:44 AM »
Arghhh! A Furry kill it!
At least we don't have a tail thrown at us  ;)

I like it, nicely drawn and looks great. I would like to see detail shot of the had weapons.

Offline Kaiizen

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 12:02:32 PM »
Not going to be much much grimdark in my comic (although to be fair, it's hard to top futuristic witch hunts on ships made to look like Gothic style cathedrals).

Would you settle for fan service?

Also, in regards to the furry. I kinda knew how people would react when I first created her and trust me, it's only going to get worse from here. If it's any consolation though, the two main characters will constantly be making smart ass remarks about her appearance.

I like it, nicely drawn and looks great. I would like to see detail shot of the had weapons.

Thanks, as for the weapons, I'll see if I can dig around in my old sketchbook and produce something for you.

Offline legionnaire

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 11:08:31 PM »
Wow kaiizen every time i turn my back you pull some great art work out to make me drool over(an no i don't mean because they are ladies).

I have to say the detail on the grip guard is fantastic.

Offline burgers4me

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 06:35:43 AM »
Smart asses, huh? Lets hope those jokes don't hit a bum note.

Buns Puns aside, your skill continues to astound.

May I suggest a group sketch, to show comparative heights?

Burgers!
What, Wait?

Offline Kaiizen

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 12:36:38 PM »
I actually do have a "group photo" of all the main characters. This one was done years ago (I'm pretty sure I was a first year in college when I did this). You can see that a lot has changed since then, still, it gives you the size comparison you were looking for.

a LOT has changed in 5 years...

Also, I think my prologue does a good job of illustrating just how snarky my main character can get. Might still be a few revisions left in this writing but I'll post it anyway. Just remember, I'm an Art major not a writer and all of this is basically supposed to be excerpts from my main characters journal.

Journal Entry 1 - 8-21-73

Holy crap, first contact. The phrase still has trouble finding it's way off of my tongue and out of my mouth. This doesn't feel real.

This IS real though. I didn't think it would happen in my life time if it would ever happen at all. We've found alien life, or rather, it found us.
A giant vessel appeared on long range scans a few days ago. At first, they thought it was just a sensor glitch or a meteor, but as it got closer it started
sending out radio transmitions and I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty sure meteors don't do that.

At first, I think everyone was equally confused. The aliens spoke to us in our own language. They sent out transmitions simultaneously in English,
Japanese, Chinese, Arabic, Latin, Spanish and at least a dozen other languages. The messages were the same across them all. They wished to land on planet
and negotiate peaceful treaties between our two species.

Oh good, they come in peace. I think I've seen this movie.

Journal Entry 2 - 8-24-73

As children, we all have an idea in our head about aliens. Most of them propagated by movies, television, and fake alien autopsies. I was very much in the
"gray skinned, large multi-faceted eye" camp, but what we saw really freaked me out. Since it was the Americans that made initial contact, they negotiated the
time and place of landing. Placing them on the most desolate piece of sand and rock we could find and fencing the whole area in as quickly as possible.

After the announcement, every camera within a thousand miles was trained on the site. Only a few media and news companies were allowed access to the site,
but that didn't stop people from trying to catch a glimpse from several miles out, or recklessly try to jump a fence to get a better look. Those of us with
some sanity left watched everything live with baited breath.

At first, I thought it was a hoax, as the aliens stepped out of the vessel, they appeared fully human, similar builds, height, 5 fingers, 2 eyes, the works.
Disappointment washed over me until the cameras attempted to get a closer look at them. The first thing I noticed was the eyes, vertical slits like cats
where the pupil should have been. Two of them even had a pair that glowed, and I don't mean that they were just bright or anything like that. They had a
visible, discernible glow. Whats more, I got the sensation that one of them had seen me.

I think I jumped visibly in my seat. Something about those eyes made me anxious as hell. I think everyone else was too busy trying to
decide if it was a hoax or not to notice my startled response, but I already knew. This is it. This is real.

Journal Entry 3 - 11-8-73

Over the last several months, news has been slowly leaked to the general public about our alien visitors. The first bit of information was that their people
are known as the Daegen and they are originally from the planet Aeonus in a star system about 400 light years away from Sol. This brought up a lot of
controversy because, to quote our one of our dually elected redneck officials, "That's a long way to go on one tank of gas."

While the statement was made in a truly asinine way, he had a point. Our scientists salivated at the mere prospect of faster than light travel and
our new Daegen allies grudgingly agreed to trade their scientific expertise for what natural resources we could spare. Simultaneously, they began erecting
a satellite near the edge of our star system they simply called a Network Beacon. They told us that the initial navigation to this particular star system
took several years of slow steady 'jumps' to avoid colliding with a planet, star or other similarly nasty object whilst traveling. In every sytem they
discovered, a Networked Beacon was laid, which paved the way for future visits, so that what took years the first time would take only months from then on.

Journal Entry 4 - 5-1-75

The beacon was fully erected just three months ago. At first, there was only a trickle of small time traders and prospectors looking to see what they
could find on the outlying regions of our solar system. Deposits of various rare minerals and gasses were found on Mars, Jupiter, and their satellite planets,
all completely untouched and unspoken for. Of course, it being our solar system, our planetary governments were offered large stipends to allow harvesting of
these natural resources to commence and they gladly accepted. In only a few short months, we've already seen a huge economic upswing.

Of course, this massive rush to claim rights to our untapped resources also brought with it a huge increase in alien presence on our planet. They still aren't exactly
a common sight now, but most people are getting used to them being here. Of course, religion does it's best to create animosity, even in the simplest of things. Settlers
from another galaxy were not exactly made to feel 'welcome' by any stretch of the imagination. Our government did it's best to put an end to any hostilities but were
only marginally successful. Islamic extremists were the most notably hostile group. They've had their panties in a twist ever since that whole 'war on
terrorism' in the early 2000's. Some people can really hold a grudge.

Fortunately, the majority of them spend their time on ships or building orbiting space stations around the planets that are richest in raw resources. After the
completion of 'Horizon', the largest deep-space space station in our solar system, even normal human beings will be allowed to take their first steps off planet
and work beside their new comrades in glorious harmony. It almost brings a tear to the eye. Maybe they'll hold hands and sing Kumbayah, or maybe I'm just cynical.

Jounrnal Entry 5 - 10-12-76

"Tensions reached the boiling point yesterday at a Daegen Embassy in Cairo, Egypt. An attack by a surprisingly well armed terrorist cell ended abruptly upon
Daegen retaliation". That was the official headline anyway. The attack started with a rigged car bomb breaching the outer wall of the compound and several dozen
Terrorist operatives flooding the premises. Automated defense systems accounted for at least 2 dozen dead and even more wounded, the six security guards on duty were responsible for at least a dozen more. The survivors quickly threw down their arms. The whole attack lasted a mere 10 minutes.

What shocked people most wasn't the completely unprovoked attack so much as the aggressiveness of the alien defense. There was little restraint, even in the face of a
numerically superior foe, and besides the damage to the outer wall the Daegen suffered no additional damage either to it's facilities or it's personnel. That kind of
brutal efficiency sent a very clear message. The Daegen came peacefully, but were more than capable of defending themselves if need be.

As a show of good faith, the survivors were handed over to local authorities to be dealt with. After a short trial, they were sentenced to death by hanging, which the
Daegen saw as a 'merciful' death. It does make me wonder, though, how they would have been dealt with had the Daegen simply detained them themselves. On second thought, I'd rather not know.

Journal Entry 6 - 9-20-77

Four years after the discovery of the Daegen, or their discovery of us at it were, they've become an almost integral part of our society. Most people are fairly
comfortable around them, especially younger people. They've had less time to be set in their ways, I guess. For the very young, it's all they've ever known. For
the old though, it's an entirely different story. They don't trust them. They think that they have alterior motives, but people just call them paranoid. I never
thought I'd say it, but I agree with the old geezers.

The Daegen as a whole don't seem so bad, but their officials are pretty handy at avoiding or diverting topics, especially important ones. Like why they knew our
languages and were both fluent and even eloquent in them when they arrived. Some people say they taught themselves using intercepted radio transmitions and the like. Total bullamphetamine parrot science fiction, I have trouble getting reception to my car stereo from a station in the same town, let alone across a whole damn galaxy. They
also won't comment on other races. They won't even tell us if they've ever met any others or if they even exist. It seems entirely reasonable to me that if
there's one there could be more, but their refusal to discuss it has some people curious, if not out right suspicious.

We've also seen an increase in military presence as of late. Warships the size of small moons have been popping up here and there as well as some of the armored
bipedal tanks they call 'Battle Frames' have been making their presence felt inside their embassies, on our moon, and as far away as mars and it's satellites.
They said it's a new security protocol being passed down to them from the higher-ups, but there are no reckless independent companies or pirate operations that could
even hold a candle to what we've seen thus far. Heavy cruisers and Dreadnoughts against freight haulers and small shuttles seems like overkill to me.

I've also noticed an increase in the glowy eye'd ones as of late. I've seen at least 4 different ones in the last 2 weeks and they give me the shakes every
time I see them. I try not to let them see it, but every time I make eye contact I nearly loose it. There's so much pressure in my head I feel like it's going
to burst. I don't want them to see me go to pieces, maybe I'm just paranoid but I don't want to see what they'd do to me. A couple years back, I saw one of them
get hit by a truck, not just a pickup truck either, an eighteen wheeler carrying nearly a ton of freight and doing about 45 mph down a city block. That Daegen
just walked away from it, he almost looked amused. The truck looked like it had wrapped itself around a tree trunk and the driver was lucky as hell to survive
at all. Everyone knows the Daegen are naturally strong and tough, something about their muscle tissue being naturally more dense than ours due to their higher
gravity world, but no one is that tough. Even a Daegen should be lying in a hospital bed, or a morgue, after a hit like that.

Bottom line, I don't ever want to find out what it is they are looking for.

Journal Entry 7 - 8-21-78

I've been getting a weird sensation lately, like I'm being followed. I keep seeing this red headed Daegen woman, at least I think it's the same one. Seems like I
see her twice a week or more. I'm not sure if I should be flattered or terrified. At least she's cute, it's been a long time since a woman has noticed of me at all,
even if it is potentially malicious. Although, I guess the later could be fun too.

Man, I need to get laid.

Anyway, I'm off to the biggest gaming convention in the northern hemi-sphere. My buddy says I look like hell and I could use a break. He's probably right, he
usually is. Nothing takes your mind off things like the stench of a thousand sweaty nerds in a tightly packed convention hall breathing heavily through their
mouths. I yearn to take on the role of Haulin, the Halfling thief, and ransack someones goods or command a mighty army to combat the vicious hordes of chaos.
I wouldn't mind seeing a few of last years booth girls either, especially that one in the chain-mail th-...

Man, I really need to get laid.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 01:11:52 PM by Kaiizen »

Offline Kaiizen

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 03:54:32 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but this is a pretty big update.

Still a work in progress, but there has been some curiosity as to the environments in my comic and this is the best shot I have so far.

This is a shot from on board a 'world ship'. The entire ship is a self sustaining Eco-system with plants, animals and even multiple cities and towns. Gravity is produced by centrifugal force as the entire ship rotates rather than by artificial gravity simply because it is far more efficient on this massive scale. The central pylon provides artificial light and can create rainfall when necessary (although all farmland is irrigated rainfall is still necessary at times).

The ship is roughly 50 miles in diameter  and carries more than 3 million humanoid inhabitants.

Oh, and here's a more recent sketch of the satyr-like people.

Offline legionnaire

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 10:00:52 PM »
As i've already said they look great. I like the idea of the planet ship and the background does look interesting.

@ Remembrancer better watch out mate look like hes got furry hookers planed  ;)