News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 Pt Tau army  (Read 442 times)

Offline Crazy Penguin

• We gonna kill som of dem humies!
1500 Pt Tau army
« on: January 9, 2008, 06:51:20 PM »
This army is s'posed to be used to defeat my friends very close combat orientated Chaos Army. The last few games I've played against him I've been Imperial Guard, and he usually loses because his lack of AT. This is my first Tau army, so Im not sure how good it is..

HQ
Shas'o
Burst Cannon
Missile Pod
Flamer

Total-99 points

Elites

3X XV8 Battlesuits 
Fusion Blaster   
Plasma Rifle
Flamer

Total- 183 pts

5X XV15- 160

Troops

9X Fire Warriors (Pulse Rifles)
1X Shas'ui -(Pulse Rifle), Bonding Knife

Total - 115

1X Shas'ui (Pulse Rifle), Bonding Knife

Total -115

1X Shas'ui (Pulse Rifle) , Bonding Knife

Total 115

16X Kroot 

Total - 112 Pts

16X Kroot

Total -112

Fast Attack

5X Pathfinders
1X Shas'ui

Total- 82

6X Gun Drones 

Total- 72

Heavy Support

2X XV88 
Twin Linked Plasma Rifle
Targetting Array

Total- 180

Hammerhead Gunship
Railgun
Burst Cannons

Total- 150 Pts

TOTAL POINTS- 1495 Pts

Don't display individual points costs. Just leave the totals.  I've removed the offending numbers this. - Rummy
« Last Edit: January 9, 2008, 09:50:26 PM by Crazy Penguin »

Offline Derikari

• I Brake for Kroot
  • I gots a title! ... I don't get it.
Re: 1500 Pt Tau army
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2008, 10:45:35 PM »
Shas'o
Burst Cannon
Missile Pod
Flamer

You went for an ‘o because his stats look better right? Well, most of those stat increases are irrelevant, he has independent character status to protect him so the wounds are not needed, and he shouldn’t be in melee so the WS doesn’t matter either. He isn’t using LD, so that doesn’t matter, all that’s left is the BS. The ‘el can get BS5 cheaper with a target array.

Scrap the flamer, it doesn’t use his superior BS. And use both weapons, look up multi-trackers in the battlesuit armoury.

3X XV8 Battlesuits 
Fusion Blaster   
Plasma Rifle
Flamer

Scrap the flamers, move a guy to the 3rd elite slot and read about multi-trackers.

5X XV15- 160

This price includes team leader + bonding? If not, it’s wrong, and pretend you took it. It will stop the last few guys of your investment from running away like cowards.

16X Kroot

Try and divide these 2 squads into 3.

5X Pathfinders
1X Shas'ui

The Devilfish is mandatory, they should cost ~200 points. Get a hard-wired target lock on the’ ui if you want some shooting versatility.

2X XV88 
Twin Linked Plasma Rifle
Targetting Array

Don’t take target arrays. With twin-linking they hit often enough. Also, plasma isn’t worthwhile without a multi-tracker as whatever you want to plasma, just railgun the sod instead, it hurts more. Consider ASS (advanced stabilisation system) so that they can move a bit, otherwise they are easy to avoid.

Hammerhead Gunship
Railgun
Burst Cannons

Multi-tracker. Fire + move? Yays!
Target lock. Don’t waste a weapon.
Decoy launcher. More survivability for a low price? Yays again!

Offline Kyure

• I have a va-jay-jay on my forehead!!
Re: 1500 Pt Tau army
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 02:57:17 AM »
I'd have to agree with Derikari.  (hi! im new! but not to the game)

It appears you have the right idea in mind...but you need to read over the battlesuit armory a bit more.  Multitrackers are your friend...for everything.  Seriously.  Being able to Fire 2 weapons is better than chicken noodle soup on a cold day.  Having 3 weapon systems and only being able to fire 1 of them each round is a poor allocation of the unit's capabilities.  However...2 guns (i prefer Plasma rifle and Missile Pods on my crisis suits) and being able to fire them with the multitracker does NASTY damage to units.  The high power and possibility for up to 4 shots while still packing enough strength to focus on a tank if need be is what I enjoy with that set up.

Same thing goes for the Hammerhead.  Putting that Multitracker on it thus making it fire as if it was a fast tank (main weapon - the railgun and defensive weapons - SMS or BC) makes them very threatening to units in its LOS.  Target lock is great on them too: Shoot that railgun and pop a God Falcon and in the same turn plug up some harlequins running at fullspeed towards your firewarriors.  Should make your opponent think twice about that armor 13 tank in his face.