News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: getting a feel for new tau army  (Read 432 times)

Offline Dice_Junkie

• Strangers have the best candy!
getting a feel for new tau army
« on: October 9, 2007, 02:21:19 PM »
ok so im in the process of starting a tau army. i currently play armored company and guard. i like the models, and i have read soem tactics and gotten an idea (i think) of how to play them.

anywhoo, i'm looking at painting everything flat white, with red trims/ parts, and black on the guns, engines, and armor segments' lines.

so here's my idea(s) on a 2500 point army. its not complete, but basically i want 5-10 piranha with the blasters, gun drones, and the improved targeter (bs4), so they can zip 24", launch the drones for troop harassment, and go tank killing/ termie hunting.

for troops, i'm thinking (4) units of 12 firewarriors in devilfish, bare bones. the 'fish launch the drones for more harassment.

for heavies i'm thinking 3 broadsides with shield drones(as a squad), and 2 hammerheads. (already have one)

for the rest, xv8 suits with missile pods/fusion/plamsa, as i have heard from different people this is the best way to use them. i havent worked the points yet, but this is the feeling i get when i think of the army i want. lots of drone harassment, fast skimmers to get behind, NASTY heavy railguns for anti armor, and very annoying troop and suit tactics. basically it's all mean to shock and awe, or confuse the enemy and allow me to pick things off while he's on his heels.

tell me what ya think. nothing is concrete, but i think the basic idea of this army is total harassment.

Offline pepsi

• Spammer: Forum Blathermouth
Re: getting a feel for new tau army
« Reply #1 on: October 9, 2007, 02:40:56 PM »
youve heard of the feeding frenzy right? Take 4 piranha ,surround the escape hatchs, then blast with your fusion goodness. Since your opponent needs a route of escape (the hatches) the unit inside the transport, will  instantly die,l  as long as the transport is surrounded (and figuring lthe piranha iterally is 1-2 inches away from the vehicle)

the piranha will instantly swarm, hence feeding frenzy.

least thats what I heard.

Oh and tau human auxiliaries can definately cause an opponent to say WTH? What are those!

just a thought since you have the imperial models
« Last Edit: October 9, 2007, 02:46:21 PM by pepsi »

Offline Dice_Junkie

• Strangers have the best candy!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 12:17:39 PM »
sweet feeding frenzy idea!

ive heard of the "fish of fury" which is why i'm doing the 4 devilfish squads.

as for the human auxillaries, i have heard of/seen them, but what rules do they use? i have the tau codex but i'm in the process of a thorough reading/comprehension.

as for the rest of my tactics/army, what do you think? any strengths or weaknesses i may or may not be aware of, go ahead and list them.

Offline pepsi

• Spammer: Forum Blathermouth
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 08:53:46 PM »
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/tau/gaming/auxilliary/assets/tau_human_auxileries.pdf

So far, you have the biggest guns for a static army (if you wish so) ordanance, anti tank, and anti infantry.

Yet, an interesting idea for the pirahna, they are "fast" and skimmers, so should be annoying. You going for all fusion blasters, maybe seeker missiles?