News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 555 Points Combat Patrol.  (Read 432 times)

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
555 Points Combat Patrol.
« on: July 10, 2007, 05:19:03 PM »
Did some thinking, this is the new list of stuff I can field, and prob. will field:

2 Crisis Suits: targeting array, TL Missile Pods
1 Crisis Suit: Plasma, Missiles, Multi-tracker
1 Sniper Team
3 Stealth Suits, Team Leader, Hardwire-Target Lock, Fusion Gun
6 Firewarriors, Team Leader, Markerlight
   Devilfish-Multitracker, SMS, targeting array, decoy launchers,

Exactly 555 points
4 scoring units
17 models

I'm lacking in models, but I think their defensive capabilities are well enough for a CP fight.
Ap 3 is the way to go for CP (highest armor), the Deathrain suits are perfect versus light skimmers/medium troops.  The warfish and troops will be their to clean up after long range shooting with brute force, and the stealths are there to "hit and run"

The theme of my CP, is that these are the "warriors" of the earth caste, who improvise weapons of war to defend them selves:

My deathrains are crisis suits with missile pods, but are converted too look like a crane and the other has much larger arms for hauling.  THe Devil fish iw a transport for raw materials, the Fire warriors rement firewarrior, old armor.  The snipers team are ALL drones that look like those construction drones in the video game (Dawn of war), and the Fireknife is the "back-up" ,"true" fire warrior, the Stealths are also "true" fire warriors(geared in new suits(2 gorilla suits, and a converted suit).

Just wanted to know what you'll think about the list or background.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 10:44:39 PM by Sanctjud »
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline Derikari

• I Brake for Kroot
  • I gots a title! ... I don't get it.
Re: 555 Points Combat Patrol.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 03:55:13 AM »
3 Stealth Suits, Team Leader, Hardwire-Target Lock, Fusion Gun

Necessary? Toughest thing you will encounter would be a Chimera, which missile pods can handle, or a Devilfish, which again missile pods can handle and you can’t penetrate.

Offline Sanctjud

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 09:11:55 AM »
I only have 3 stealths and WYSIWYG my team leader is the guy with a fusion gun, Plus he's my best painted mini  ;D ...going to a fight without him with tau is a no no for me.

Plus, I don't play tau much, any tips or  pointers ppl?
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(

Offline int main()

• Crouching Broadside,Hidden Stealthsuit
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 09:49:40 AM »
The trouble is,there isn't really a need for your team leader w/fusion.As mentioned already,missile pods are enough for what you'll face.At higher points levels,getting in range to use your FB with the stealths more or less ensures the death of the whole squad.While not so bad at lower pointage games like CP,it still represents a huge risk.

Secondly,as your team is now they're good at nothing in particular.At least if all 3 were armed with burst cannons,they'd have a focused purpose.If the FB you modeled onto your stealth is a problem,just tell your opponent that the team leader 'counts as' having default weaponry instead.I'm sure reasonable people won't mind.
Burn the Sister of Battle.
Kill the Space Marine.
Purge the Grey Knight.
Destroy the Imperium.
Let the Galaxy burn!

Offline Sanctjud

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 10:04:21 AM »
If i down grade the stealths, i'll have 17s left.

Could get a shield/gun drone into the firewarrior squad for asthetics, an extra firewarrior with 7 points left. 

Or leave the team leader there and get a bonding knife instead of the target lock, but most likely they will die first than run away....

other than that, their's not much to do with 7- 17 points..

EDIT:

I just finished playing a game with just 3 stealths with 3 burst cannons, a huge improvement in that I just had to stsy 17" away, much more "safe" (if only I magnitized my team leader, darn).

The sniper team seemed to be too overpriced for what I can accoplish in a game...true they have great long range guns and markerlight, but terrain(LOS) easily makes those plusses non-existant.

You know what, in a game versus khorne, I ended up marching them as a distraction unit so that it would give my fire base units more time to clear up another squad of zerkers....drones would be cheaper in that regard, but they did account for half a squad of zerkers in the 2 turns of shooting they got.....so, Seriously, their guns are really good when they hit.

Thinking of not using snipers.....so I have 96 points left.. maybe a gun drone squadron...ohh and more firewarriors...
6 fire warriors are so fragile too.

Any Ideas....snipers worth it? versus drone squad and fire warriors?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 03:08:17 PM by Sanctjud »