News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000pt "In Your Face" List  (Read 434 times)

Offline Chris Little

1000pt "In Your Face" List
« on: October 18, 2006, 05:14:49 PM »
I tried to make a list that didn't have a single vehicle in it.  Rather, it focuses on having alot of "in-your-face" style action with tons of kroot and suits instead:

Shas'el w/Fusion, Flamer, Missile Pod, HW MT, HW DC (2 shield drones), Bonding Knife 118
2x XV8 Shas'vre Bodyguards w/Fusion, Flamer, Missile Pod, HW MT, HW DC (2 shield drones) = 198
HQ TOTAL: 316

10 Fire Warriors (including Shas'ui w/Bonding Knife)
TROOPS TOTAL: 115

41 Kroot (yes, that's alot). 
TROOPS TOTAL: 287

3 Stealth Suits (includes 1 Fusion)
TOTAL ELITE: 92

XV8 Shas'vre w/Airburster, TL Missile Pod, HW MT, HW DC (2 shield drones), Bonding Knife
TOTAL ELITE: 98

TOTAL: 1000pts
MODELS: 61 (51 infantry, 6 stealth suits, 4 XV8s)

The HQ group would race ahead while firing missiles and fusions.  When close enough, they're swtich to using Flamers against troops and focusing on killing tanks.

The single XV8 would hang back with the Fire Warriors and either capture objectives of provide fire support as it has long range/large blast weapons.

The Stealth Suits have the option of forming into 1 or 2 units at the start of the game (depending on the opponent). 

The Kroot...ahh the huge force of Kroot lol....would be formed into 2-4 units at the start of the game (depending on mission, objectives, and opponent).  Then deployed with infiltrate if available.

Any thoughts?

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: 1000pt "In Your Face" List
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 07:35:33 AM »
Shas'el w/Fusion, Flamer, Missile Pod, HW MT, HW DC (2 shield drones), Bonding Knife 118
2x XV8 Shas'vre Bodyguards w/Fusion, Flamer, Missile Pod, HW MT, HW DC (2 shield drones) = 198
HQ TOTAL: 316

Shas'vre bodyguards aren't usually worth it. Make a separate team of regular Shas'ui and have your commander join. As for the tactics for this group, 'charging ahead' with battlesuits (even with shield drones) is going to mean a lot of dead battlesuits. Make sure you charge flanks and weakpoints in an opponent's army, or you are going to start losing these guys fast.

10 Fire Warriors (including Shas'ui w/Bonding Knife)
TROOPS TOTAL: 115

Good. I'd prefer 20, myself, but you're going with a theme, so good for you.

41 Kroot (yes, that's alot). 
TROOPS TOTAL: 287

Unless deployed in cover, these guys won't make their points back. As with most 'in your face' Tau lists, you need to be very careful during deployment. When in cover, Kroot last. Out of cover, they vanish like flash paper in a lighter factory.

Not bad. Teams of 6 are a bit more effective, but the tactical flexibility of 2 3-man teams can be useful.
Fusion blasters are tough to use effectively as tank killers, especially as the Tau. Good luck.

XV8 Shas'vre w/Airburster, TL Missile Pod, HW MT, HW DC (2 shield drones), Bonding Knife
TOTAL ELITE: 98

Okay, I suppose. He really doesn't give you a whole lot of fire support--broadsides or a whole squad of suits kitted with TL Missile Pods would be better. Give the Broadsides ASS, and they can march forward with everybody else.

I applaud your theme, here, but understand that you are making a tough list to win with. If you don't mind, then that's just great. Some general recommendations about close-quarters Tau:

-More Stealths: they are, probably, the most effective HTH unit the Tau have.
-Kroot Hounds: fix the Kroot's terrible initiative problem, once and for all.
-Pulse Carbine FW squads: if you can find a way to squeeze in some markerlights, these guys can really, really help.
-Vespid: I will very rarely recommend Vespid, but if the whole army is closing with your enemy, anyway, they might actually last. Keep them in cover, and remember that they have some of the best Initiative in your army.
-Shas'o: This is the only time to take the Shas'o. You are getting closer to the enemy, so you need more wounds, a better WS, and a better I.

Consider Deepstriking with your HQ suits (if you still want to take the Bodyguards). Hook the lone Shas'vre suit with a Positional Relay, deepstrike them in the heart of your enemy's lines in Turn 2, and go to town. It will make it a lot easier to get those Fusion Blasters into position, for one thing.