News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: $100 and 500 points of Tau  (Read 2547 times)

Offline Mechanicore

• I am the terror that flaps in the night
$100 and 500 points of Tau
« on: October 15, 2005, 06:49:38 PM »
After fighting the tau I had to have some so I got just enough to have a force with all the basics: a good Leader, a Firebase, a Maneuver unit, and well the drones were extra and cool. I painted the to look like allies to my steel legioniers. But I like playing them more because they are plasctic and indistructable.

Tau      501pts   
HQ   Shas'el      102pts
   1 Shas'el         
   Plasma Rifle         
   Missle Pod         
   Fusion Blaster         
   HW Multi Tracker         
Troops   Fire Warriors 1      207pts
   8 Fire Warriors         
   Shas'ui         
   Marklighter         
   Hw Target Lock         
   Devel Fish         
   2 Seeker Missles         
Troops   Fire Warriors 2      120pts
   12 Fire Warriors         
Fast Attack   Gun Drone Squadron      72pts
   6 Gun Drones         

Do not state component point costings. Merely state the totals involved. Cheers.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 07:07:08 PM by Barr'El O'Rum »

Offline ::ËternaĺŇovice::

• A Hippies Version of Exterminatus
Re: $100 and 500 points of Tau
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 06:58:41 PM »
Nice paint job, though I will have too say your list is quite unbalanced. The cost for the transport could easily fuel more troops and firepower. Seeker missiles generally work much better if you were too have more markerlights, devastating as they are they might not be as useful as you think. Your HQ, though very powerful, is quite unbalanced. If you want three weapons you might want to take out the Fusion and add another Plasma instead because of the lack of any real powerful tanks in 500 point games, your Plasma Rifle will be able to take care of anything like Rhinos and such. Currently I believe both your Devilfish and Shas'el are going to draw alot of fire. They might go on and ignore your 12 man Fire Warrior squad and take out your Devilfish. By then your HQ will be in range and a scarier threat, so they'll then take that out, leaving you with just 12 static Fire Warriors and some Gun Drones with extremely low leadership and perhaps some of the remaining Fire Warriors from your now decimated Devilfish. Still, you should try it out, I might be wrong. On another note I agree, plastic is good. Though I doubt any Tau army is indestructable. Lets see this army fair against some Necrons...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 07:17:33 PM by ::ËternaĺŇovice:: »

I started playing Tau three years ago, and now I'm dating a supermodel. Coincidence? I think not.

Current Projects: Slow Process of Ordering Warmachine Models. 0% Done.

I'm the Self Proclaimed Greatest Noob on 40konline!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 07:14:30 PM »
Ditch the Devilfish and Seeker missiles, invest in more Fire Warriors and another separate Crisis Suit. Your anti-tank (other than the Seeker missiles) is all in a one shot pony. Force your opponent to go hunting for their prey. If points allow maximise the Gun Drone strength.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline lord_guru32

• Life is but a gateway to eternity
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 07:47:26 PM »
make both firewarrior squads 12 man and drop all upgrades and transports, then drop the drones and then you can a:take a good railhead/some broadsides or b:take cheaper heavy support and add an etheral or c:take 1 broadside and take back the dfish (with no/very little upgrades, i think you could just squeeve this into points limit, if not you could drop some firewarriors) just some thoughts and you may not like my ideas but just some suggestions (from a fellow tau begginer)
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with countless aeons even death may die"

Ninja Kirby (>'')>* * * *

Offline Mechanicore

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 08:00:52 PM »
The idea of this list was I just wanted to get all of the Tau units that make Tau, Tau. As for tanks not being a problem all the people I play love tanks and one of my Gurad 500pt list has a decked out Leman Russ so I was going for redundant Anti tank units and thats all tau have in that respect minus broadsides and hammerheads. Thanks for your sound tactical advice I know it was well meant but my 500 pt armies are more for the feel of a certain race than winning and the pattern of heavy HQ, maxed troop choice, small troop choice, and vehicle is the basic cookie cutter formula I like for these size armies and even though I don't play tau much all the 500 pt battles I've fought if you leave behind a certain component that will be what slaughters you.

As for indistructability On another thread I addressed how my pool table rotated when I took these pics throwing every model I own Guard Tau tanks all of them 4 feet on to the wooden structure of the table and onto eachother, followed by all the pool balls metal guard 50+% casualties that needed to have paint work. The tau well on guys arm came off after a ball hit him glued it back on and you can never tell the difference.

The drones are for the commander to attach to for albative shielding.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 08:03:32 PM by Mechanicore »

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 09:47:52 PM »
I see. Well then good luck with that, and sorry I misunderstood your sense of indestructability, didn't think you were referrring you the models themselves.  ::) If you were looking for fluffiness than yes your army is quite capable and good for that matter.

I started playing Tau three years ago, and now I'm dating a supermodel. Coincidence? I think not.

Offline lord_guru32

• Life is but a gateway to eternity
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 07:30:44 AM »
dont give the commander drones, keep his as an indpendant character so he can stay safe
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with countless aeons even death may die"

Ninja Kirby (>'')>* * * *

Offline BLAH!

• Add me to you IM lists to talk 40k!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 01:00:28 PM »
A commander with Shield Drones playes nicely.
*shifty eyes*

I have mod powers on www.warhammer40k.co m...

*end shifty eyes*

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, if you are the 2% that hasn't, put this in your signature.

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 01:02:27 PM »
Well not with the revised drone rules. They just count as majority so they don't really save your butt much.

Offline BLAH!

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 04:54:51 PM »
OMG really?? Well nvmd that, they are worse now. However, if you want to put some shield drones with something like .. and etherial that would be cool.
*shifty eyes*

*end shifty eyes*

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, if you are the 2% that hasn't, put this in your signature.

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005, 05:29:54 PM »
Yeah the FAQ messed drones up a whole lot. The new Codex is supposed to fix this. However, since the army is for fluff, than yeah I think the drones would work, with the whole 'protection' idea.

Offline LoGrei

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 10:05:55 AM »
if u want to use drones field them as a squad and not attach them to anything
that way the fluff of preserving life can still work...just place them infront of your firing line...it should buy some time.

Offline Mechanicore

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2005, 03:24:46 PM »
Thats what they do. ;)

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2005, 04:16:02 PM »
That seems too be all drones a good for now, except maybe going deep and popping Rhinos.

Offline BLAH!

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2005, 07:21:57 PM »
That would be awesome. A Deep Struck drone killing a rhino...
*shifty eyes*

*end shifty eyes*