News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Problems with the new board  (Read 2554 times)

Offline Koonitz

• Ignorance is your greatest enemy
  • Ancient
Problems with the new board
« on: February 6, 2002, 01:26:37 AM »
I have problems with the new Message Board. To start off (And probably the only reason I have the problems. Don't tell me to upgrade, 'cause you'll havta fight me tooth and nail to do it) is that I use Netscape 4.6 (I'd prefer to have something more 'bare bones' than that, but some compromises must be made).
Whenever I view the any new part of the board (From the Main page on) It loads the Top section (Head, if you will), and then says "Document done", but stalls the showing of the main body of the page for about 30 seconds, stalling every netscape window I have open. As well, sometimes it completely stalls Netscape. This can be annoying, as I must wait about two minutes to even view a topic, and some I can't view at all because they keep stalling Netscape. I've had similar, but likely unrelated, problems with other boards where Netscape would have to go to about 1000 other sites just to load all the accursed sigs. But that was clearly "could not get to this site", or something of that nature.
Another thing is this lack of Wordwrap in message posting. What happened to wordwrap!? I'm writing in an old version of Notepad again! And that's the only thing I like about the upgraded notepad is it's wordwrap option! I don't like this scrolling back about two meters (literally) to view an entire paragraph!
And last, but not least, is that I've lost an entire (complicated) post due to "not filling out the e-mail part" of the form as I did not login. Well, since I didn't log in with other message boards, I just typed in my nick and password when I posted, I'm not used to logging in. And I, for some reason, don't like cookieing my computer to let me 'auto-login'. I realized this was because I would have been posting as a 'guest'. I don't wanna have to log in every time I wanna post a message or every time I come to the place.
Anyways, I've ranted enough. I'm not looking to get people to jump in and assist me or anything. I'm just telling everyone why I won't be seen around all that often ("HEY! Put away that champagne!), and that it's not because I don't wanna be here, because I do... So, off I go to preview my post (The first time I do this... Cursed wordwrap-lacking posting script.)
"I like to think of this lovely place as my home. Now you wouldn't even think about upsetting me in my home, would you? Of course you wouldn't. So do what I say, when I say, and I won't get upset. I do bad things when I'm upset."
-Drill Instructor, MechWarrior 2

"It is not my responsibility to prove you are wrong. It is your responsibility to prove you are right."
-Koonitz

"The next time you decide to stab me in the back, have the guts to do it to my face."
- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Purple Raine

• The Ultra N00bie
  • Administrator
  • Let's put a smile on that face.
    • About Me
Re:Problems with the new board
« Reply #1 on: February 6, 2002, 05:07:55 AM »
I've been directed to the lack of Netscape support for our boards, but at the moment, there's nothing I can do about that.

Hopefully, within a couple of months, the upgraded release of the board will be out, which will hopefully include compatibility for netscape users.

Further, I'm not sure I know what you're talking about regarding word wrap.  

Why don't you use IE?  That should be able to solve the problem!

Regarding login's, just accept cookies from us! =)  We don't use your info for any other purpose except to keep you logged in! =)  You can configure your web browser to accept our cookies...

I hope that solves your problems
Just a fan of this awesome site.

Offline Koonitz

• Ignorance is your greatest enemy
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: February 6, 2002, 10:25:30 AM »
Why don't I use IE? Because it has that funny M word in front of it that... *blink blink* ARGH! IT WORDWRAPPED! CURSE YOU IE! CUUUURRRSSSSEEE YOOOUUU! (I'm at University, the comps in the library have IE....)
Okay... Okay... Calm down... As I was saying, IE has that funny M word in front of it that stands for Microsoft. I use Windows 98 more of necessity. Because most programs coming out are being made for Windows first, Mac second (Unix at all?). I don't use XP, I don't use ME, I don't use Windows 200#. WHy? Because I don't want about 500 megs of junk programming I don't need. I'd prefer, as I said, a bare bones OS that looks like Windows, but has none of the filler material. I use no other program by Microsoft. No MSN Messenger (It was once installed on my computer.... I had to get an exorcist to remove it.), etc.
As for Wordwrapping. That's when you type to the end of the window and it automatically starts a new line. In the old Notepad, you didn't have that option, so it would just continue on one line until you hit enter.
And accepting cookies, I said it already. I don't know why, I just don't feel like accepting cookies from any site (Maybe it's that 'no frills' bit coming out again).
Anyways, happy Anti-Microsoft Rant. *runs away*
"I like to think of this lovely place as my home. Now you wouldn't even think about upsetting me in my home, would you? Of course you wouldn't. So do what I say, when I say, and I won't get upset. I do bad things when I'm upset."
-Drill Instructor, MechWarrior 2

"It is not my responsibility to prove you are wrong. It is your responsibility to prove you are right."
-Koonitz

"The next time you decide to stab me in the back, have the guts to do it to my face."
- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Jehenna

• Almost Purple
  • Ancient
  • 'baka' - Ruri Hoshino of the Nadesico
    • Eldaronline
« Reply #3 on: February 6, 2002, 12:41:09 PM »
i'm afraid its the price you pay for non-conformity

i believe notepad does wordwrap once you get to a very large amount of characters - but i could be wrong, wordpad is another very simple program (similar to word) but has wordwrap and obviously a few more options than notepad, doesn't take long to load up either :)

oh yes i know what wordwrap is because i once witnessed an ancient piece of software on a very old computer, the software was a word processor which featured NEW wordwrap!

-jehenna who has succumbed to the beast, until something better comes out which has enough mouse buttons (silly imac, how are you meant to right click? )

Offline Cymoril

Koonitz if you don't want to use IE...
« Reply #4 on: February 7, 2002, 03:09:30 AM »
...try Opera.

Offline BoyProdigy

• Pirate Prince
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Still rocking your world!
« Reply #5 on: February 7, 2002, 08:29:28 AM »
IE or Opera

Offline XpashaX

• Millenium Gate Moderator
    • Codex: Immael
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2002, 10:13:29 AM »
Just use IE as a viewer for this board.
"What can you say about a society that says that god is dead and Elvis is alive?" ~ Irv Kupcinet

Offline Vertaxis

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2002, 04:06:41 PM »
Try Opera or Mozilla.
Never meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.