News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar buildings/architecture?  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
Eldar buildings/architecture?
« on: November 23, 2021, 10:12:03 PM »
I need more help in my quest of 3d sculpts and getting back into the hobby, so forgive my multiple posts. (There would be less, but the double-post thing doesn't allow that.)

What I've been wondering about after reading more of Thorpe's novels is about Craftworld Eldar buildings and aesthetics. As far as I remember, we get a broad range of stuff, but mostly it all comes down to Webway portals in the game (gotta love triangles parts?).

So how do you think that Eldar architecture works or looks like? Post an image for what you like (if you would?), but also give some explanations?

For example, and as a general rule, I'm a huge fan of honeycombs in Eldar architecture. Think Bucky Fullerene supported by wraithbone and suspensors, but also more generally about an independent and scalable structure for Craftworlds.

40kOnline. Regale me with your thoughts, ideas, preferences, imagines, models and so forth.

I'm trying to figure out how to share some images now that Photobucket has become an over-valued subscription service. More to come!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Eldar buildings/architecture?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 02:03:05 AM »
2nd edition codex, and 3rd edition codex has some pictures of inside craftworlds :)

Smooth, almost organic swiss cheese, with lots of curves almost egg like... that probably doesn't help lol, this is what I imagine as it is more alien.

Dawn of war has more of a hard edge to the buildings, but they also fit, as they have some common points like gems and veins that you see on the tanks.

These are from codex.

https://i.redd.it/w101y30fzrc51.jpg

https://40k.gallery/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/40K-Gallery-0532.jpg

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-1b890a22582e0afb2e1cae9a04d7a105

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 10:20:54 AM »
Yeah, the pics above are a good reference. Generally avoid right angles, and use curves and pointy angles instead. Convex or concave sylinders. Ubiquotous gem decoration. Fin-like, or swooping wing-like external details along edges or on the centre of curves. Pointy spires. In a Dark Elf equivalent, those fins and spires kinda sharpen into spikes.

You can look up Protoss buildings in Starcraft too, their visual design is pretty similar to Craftworld Eldar.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 10:23:15 AM by Sir_Godspeed »

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 05:00:39 PM »
Here are some images of craftworlds for inspiration!

I like your ideas for craftworld architecture. I think you're on the right path.

Remember as well that craftworlds hold a lot of self-contained biomes housed in their own domed sections throughout the craftworld as well. That might give you some more ideas.

JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 11:59:40 PM »
2nd edition codex, and 3rd edition codex has some pictures of inside craftworlds :)
Thanks for the piccies--very much appreciated, especially when one considers that I've primarily been into the RPG side of things for the past 30 years. (The start date is basically marked by my ending of playing wargames... O.o )

Generally avoid right angles, and use curves and pointy angles instead...
Of course. The kind of things that are more difficult to model (at least for me). I can see why the Imperium gets a lot of love in this regard!

You can look up Protoss buildings in Starcraft too, their visual design is pretty similar to Craftworld Eldar.
I had heard about some of the similarities but have never really looked into it. Clearly I should have done that because, at least in my mind, you're 100% right. Great recommendation!

Here are some images of craftworlds for inspiration!
That third one is sweet! It's like the Eldar had a baby with Darth Vader's doomed super star destroyer, Executor...

The craftworld image kind of reminds me of when the Executor crashed into the Death Star. :D

I like your ideas for craftworld architecture. I think you're on the right path.
Thank you. For what it is worth, the hexagonal structure is in part there to take into account the "domed" sections, too. The idea being that each "honeycomb" was, in essence, its own form of "dome" that could be filled with whatever environment the Eldar wanted, with the interstices between them being for utilities, transportation etc.

It also helps that the honeycomb/hexagon is strong and very "nature" (as it were).

As an example, my brain was going to the idea that if you looked closely at Eldar materials, you'd probably see tracings of honeycombs. Wraithbone is based upon a similar structure, akin to trabecular bone in mammals.

Question: Would the hexacomb approach fit with the domes?  Or, like fractals, they're just the shapes around and a more traditional dome be at play? Maybe a bucky ball dome but akin to the glass structure in the British Museum?

We also see pyramids quite a bit (hopefully not too inspired by the Necrons!).

The more ideas the merrier!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 12:03:59 AM by Kage2020 »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 01:35:58 AM »
fractals sounds good, since they are kind of grown.

We also see pyramids quite a bit (hopefully not too inspired by the Necrons!).

That's where we house our weapon ranges where we practise on necron target ;)

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 03:09:09 AM »
fractals sounds good, since they are kind of grown.
I'm spending way too much time thinking about spheres and how they interact with hexagonal prisms because of this question.

I need help... O.o

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2021, 09:02:06 AM »
Speaking of texture, there is a part in the Dawn of War 3 trailer that shows a group of Howling Banshees perching in what I assume is intended to be some kind of Eldar structure, though whether it's meant to be functional or a ruin I can't tell (the trailer is overall abstract and dreamlike). The material of it is quite organic and vaguely bone- or coral-like.

It appears around 1:30, and you get a full view of it around 1:34.

DAWN OF WAR 3 - Cinematic Trailer (2016) - YouTube

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2021, 07:54:14 PM »
The material of it is quite organic and vaguely bone- or coral-like.
Thanks for the link.

I think that I recall seeing an image of a Howling Banshee with armour that also look quite organic.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2021, 10:47:33 PM »
Thanks for the link.

I think that I recall seeing an image of a Howling Banshee with armour that also look quite organic.

The video will also have the bone armour on the banshee..

Just one thing to note, Eldar tanks are also "made" of the same stuff, so while the internal structures might be bone like, the outer layers is smooth. That might solve some of your problems with it meeting up with spheres ;)

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2021, 11:46:39 PM »
Just one thing to note, Eldar tanks are also "made" of the same stuff, so while the internal structures might be bone like, the outer layers is smooth. That might solve some of your problems with it meeting up with spheres ;)
Two options here:
  • Bones: Bones have a trabecular structure that is wrapped around with cortical bone (long bones) or a diploe surrounded by cortical bone (membranous bones like the skull or ribs); and
  • 3d Printing: You have a gradual "rib-like" structure that is built up but, after the print, you apply an epoxy that masks the separate "ribs"/lines.

Hmmn. These are basically the same option from different perspectives. :D