News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Silver Tower  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Silver Tower
« on: June 1, 2016, 04:04:42 PM »
So, I played my first game of Quest for the Silver tower last night, and it was a blast! A buddy and I played the first of the trials and we won by the skin of our teeth (a lucky artifact find allowed me to clear a room when we were surrounded).

Anyone else play the game yet? I think it's my new favorite board game.  I used the Stormcast Eternal, and my buddy used the Mist Weaver. I couldn't roll a hit dice to save my life, so the mistweaver had to kill all the monsters for us lol. I ended up getting the last wound on the Gaunt Sorcerer and gaining the piece of the amulet anyway ha ha. I never even made one rotation around the renown table, while my buddy went around twice.

Playing our second trial tonight! I'm trying to rope in more friends to fill out the other two spots.

Anyone else have a chance to play the game yet?
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: Silver Tower
« Reply #1 on: June 8, 2016, 04:28:31 PM »
How does it work?
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/06/07/warhammer-quest-silver-tower-review/#more-372141

Started at part 3 as 1 and 2 are more about the models and painting.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Silver Tower
« Reply #2 on: June 8, 2016, 11:03:56 PM »
That is a good summery of my feelings on the game.

Since my last post, I've played two more games! We earned two new pieces of the amulet.

The game mechanics are pretty straightforward, but the game changes each time you play. There are a bunch of tiles, but depending what 'trial' you're trying, they may do different things. There are also lots of encounters which can change things as well.

Game works in Three phases. Destiny Phase, Hero Phase, and Adversary Phase.

Destiny Phase is pretty simple. Pass the 'player 1' token to the player to your left, and they are the 'rune marked player' for that turn. They roll the five purple dice, discarding any duplicate dice. Any discarded dice will cause some sort of event. Either summoning one of the Gaunt Summoners familiars, or causing an unexpected event, which is a D66 table.

The non-discared dice, can be used by the players.

Hero phase, you roll your four dice and put them on your hero card. Depending what numbers are rolled, you can do different actions. Moving and basic attacks are 1+ actions, so any dice can do them. Special attacks and abilities can be anything else. The good thing is, you see what you have and have the destiny dice to use to. Basically, it means you can do 4 things a turn (move, attack, explore, heal). Attacks use the dice to activate, and then you need to roll a result to hit (for example, the Stormcast needs 3+ to hit, but does a bunch of damage).

If you are stunned, or take damage, those take the place of your dice, limiting the number of things you can do.

Adversary Phase, you roll on a behaviour table for each 'type' of baddy on the board. The same result applies for all of the same bad guy. (one roll for all pink horrors, one roll for all beastmen etc..). Consult the chart, they do that thing. A couple of the monsters have 2D6 tables and are really mean.

The quest is the ongoing narrative for you and your friends. To collect all eight pieces of the Amulet and then fight the Gaunt Summoner. Each trial is an attempt to do one of the above.

I'm not sure what it's like past the three trials I've played. A lot of fun is in exploring things for the first time, so I don't want to read ahead. However, the replay ability aspect is high, as the game will never play the same way again.

Also, the Silver Tower App is great for keeping track of what heroes have earned, or has rules for playing with almost any plastic hero in the AoS model line.

Does that answer any questions?

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria