News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Over-moderation killing forum appeal?  (Read 42734 times)

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: Over-moderation killing forum appeal?
« Reply #80 on: January 4, 2014, 12:11:07 AM »
Tee hee... I started coming here because it was the first thing that came up when I googled "40k Forums". Or maybe it was actually "40k online message board" or something. I stay, because it took me quite a while to get the swing of this whole internet message board thing, and when I've gone to a couple of other forums, they felt less user friendly. My staying has never had anything to do with my appreciation of the moderatorship. ;)

In the past, I felt that there was a sort of gentle balance. The primary powers that be currently prefer things more sterile than they were in the past. Their vision of a no-chaff forum, where every post is life altering is being pressed upon the populace, and they're not seeming to enjoy it in large numbers. Again, fair enough, if I ruled the world things would be my way. I don't, so I make best with what I can. I tried to elicit change, and it didn't work out.

I liked my old title. While I don't expect everyone to understand, I am vain about my scars. I had the closest thing I could get, in internet land, and now it's gone. So far as I'm concerned, I fought a good fight, and got a scar to prove it. I was the change I wanted to see. I fought for something I thought could work. Right now, I'd rather finish my story than grind out for another few months only to have my option taken from me before I've finished.

I have a story I want to tell, and I'm going to see it through. From there? I don't know.

Ever go to a party where there was a list of things you couldn't talk about, or where you were forced to talk about only certain things? Real conversation isn't just high quality remarks on the state of the universe. Sometimes things don't go as planed, but that's what's interesting to some people. There's personality, and the dreaded small talk.

The super-secret hidden board, so well as it worked for those priviledged enough to be let in the door, was a place that such "chatty" stuff could go on, and I assume it fostered the type of comraderie that you can't develop when everything you say has to "add" to a topic. From what I understand, it was also a place to go vent about certain persons and to gather support for arguments in the public arena, and plan little games to play... but that's just speculation. :P

I would like to know a couple things, and it's open. A moderator isn't paid. They certainly don't seem to be appreciated. If a sense of duty drives a moderator to continue, what is that duty to? Upholding their view of how the site should be run, or creating an environment that stimulates conversation? Failing that, what pleasure does someone derive from it, day after day? Seems like certain mods are getting a wee bit peevish about their position, and there's a touch of trickle down happening from that. If someone "running" the site doesn't want to put the time in, and they feel forced to do so, that is not going to have a positive reflection, and people will pick up on that.

People want quality content. That takes time and practice, unless you're a naturally gifted writer. Even then, it takes a bit of time to learn your voice. If the bar is set at 60%, most people aren't going to make the grade before they gain traction. There are people at the bottom with a lot of passion for this site. People that are willing to try, and put their neck out to see something tried or changed. If we are "doomed to failure" in our current state, then any other action provides the possibility of success, regardless of the form that success takes.

Why not try a no-holds-barred weekend? Aside from the legal stuff, let everything else slide for two days. Let people get dirty. Let them start fights with each other. Let them say, "+1 to the above post" and let it alone. Put THAT on the main page, and give people a couple of weeks' notice. Ask people to try to keep it sane, and ask them to please post in the right sections, but let it go if they don't. Let the people have a taste of the medicine they crave, and see if they come back for more. If "this" isn't working, we need to try "that."
« Last Edit: January 4, 2014, 12:16:47 AM by GreatBigTree »

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #81 on: January 4, 2014, 09:47:21 PM »
So the staff are discussing this thread in our own private section and an interesting question came up.

Exactly what is being considered as over moderation that you are all complaining about?  At most, I have seen the occasional edit or thread getting moved.  I know personally I haven't done more than edit a post in this thread, and that really is the first moderator action I have taken in months.  So aside from Shad getting his wrist slapped for flame baiting, what has happened recently that has so much rage held in peoples minds?
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #82 on: January 4, 2014, 10:26:25 PM »
The impression that this is an expression of rage is incorrect. Rage is a mindless emotion. This is an expression of frustration, at long standing issues. This isn't just a "recent" thing. This is long term. Being treated as mindless beasts, incapable of reasonable discourse... that's part of it.

How many instances of "needless interference" are required, to provide sufficient evidence of a trend? If I'm going to go to the hassle of dredging through the last month's posts, I want to know when I can stop.

Offline Kindred

• Solitaire Llama Lord | Not a Mass Murderer
  • PINK!
    • Turtle Shell Productions
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #83 on: January 4, 2014, 11:14:08 PM »
And secondly:

Content posted to the projects board becomes the property of 40konline

Sorry but that is just not acceptable to me, I used to put my work up on a number of sites, I was even lucky enough to have some articles translated into other languages for language specific sites/forums. My work stays my work.

Yes and no. The work does stay your work...  However, by posting here, you grant 40konline an irrevocable license to edit and republish said work. This does not detract from your ownership of the original work, but it allows us to reuse it.
Solitaire Llama (Also known as the Dali Llama)
WS10 BS10 S5 T5 I1 A1 Sv1+
Spit, Neck Throw, Guardian of the Sheep

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: January 4, 2014, 11:46:09 PM »
The impression that this is an expression of rage is incorrect. Rage is a mindless emotion. This is an expression of frustration, at long standing issues. This isn't just a "recent" thing. This is long term. Being treated as mindless beasts, incapable of reasonable discourse... that's part of it.

How many instances of "needless interference" are required, to provide sufficient evidence of a trend? If I'm going to go to the hassle of dredging through the last month's posts, I want to know when I can stop.

Seeing as how we have a log that automagically keeps track of every moderator action that is taken, how far back would you like proof that there is no trend?

Shall we start with the month of December?  In December there were roughly 22 moderator actions, including multiple actions that are just book keeping for a single offence.  Cut those out and what I have seen is 6 instances where posts were edited because they included copyright material, which for the most part people seem to agree is ok grounds for us to act. 

There were two instances where posts were edited for flame baiting, including Shad's which resparked this little debate.

One instance where a thread was locked for necromancy after having been dead for five years.

5 instances of posts being made in the wrong forum, ranging from moving things from Gen40k into the Forge, or from Gen40k into the nids.

That leaves two other actions.  One having been when a battle report was merged because it was too long for a single post, and the other was when a thread was split because someone tried hijacking the thread.

Frankly, looking at the complaints people have made, the only thing that really jumps out that could possibly be considered "over-moderation" are the two posts where personal jabs were removed and labelled as flame bait.

Is that enough or would you like more?

Hear-say and knee jerk reactions are all well and good, but honestly guys find me an actual incident where a moderator has over stepped their bounds on a post that did not violate any rules.  And I am not asking to point out the friendly reminders you receive in a thread without any action taken.  I mean posts where a moderator has taken action (edited / removed / split / merged / locked) and you feel it wasn't warranted by our forum rules.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2014, 11:48:28 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Shad

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #85 on: January 5, 2014, 01:29:34 AM »
If you'd check just one month all the things I said would indeed look like a swan song. It's the trend that should count.

Then again, if what other posters like Underhand said is true, it is a swan song, since everybody who didn't like the trend left about a year and a half ago.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #86 on: January 5, 2014, 02:00:38 AM »
If you'd check just one month all the things I said would indeed look like a swan song. It's the trend that should count.

Then again, if what other posters like Underhand said is true, it is a swan song, since everybody who didn't like the trend left about a year and a half ago.

So, allow me to understand, you are proposing we make changes to the rules of the board that would have affected it as it stood a year and a half ago, but not affect how it is working now?
Since we have no issue with threadomancy currently (as presented above) then why change the rules? If the people who would care about such changes left a year and a half ago then what would changing the rules now actually accomplish?
I am just trying to sort out what you are saying here - please explain it to me.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline starstrider

• Ork Boy
  • Armies: Sisters of Battle, Order of the Sacred Rose
« Reply #87 on: January 5, 2014, 03:16:15 AM »
I'll concede that lower overall post counts are partly responsible for making things stand out.

I still feel that things have been a bit knee-jerky with moving, especially in General 40k, but don't misconstrue that as "rage". It's more like a case of being asked what I think of a stew, and suggesting that it could use a pinch more salt and maybe an extra potato or two. It's mildly frustrating, at worst, as well as being a slight eyesore for myself and perhaps some other visitors. But every one of those threads could be immediately unlocked and restored to general, and even if no future (reasonably) on topic threads were locked I'm confident the site wouldn't suddenly spring back to a vibrant life. It's just that the topic of overmoderation came up, I had a small issue, and decided to mention it (because I sincerely believe it says something that I felt I had to open my Tau/Eldar thread in general 40k by almost asking for permission to post it there. I don't think that's the right mentality to encourage).

As far as thread splitting stuff, I've noticed that too. In some forums more than others. When I used to play Eldar and Chaos some years back that was still happening in the Eldar forum a lot though. People stuck around, I assume because there was still good content and a good community. I don't follow the Eldar board too closely now and so am not sure I can really comment, but allegedly this is still occurring - only now people are slightly more aggravated. Since the actual moderating (I feel) hasn't gotten worse (or at least not overwhelmingly so), the real issue might have to do with the same moderating style being employed despite changing forum conditions. Maybe something that worked perfectly well to keep things neat and tidy when several posts a day were coming from several members and multiple different people were posting in each thread no longer works as will. Maybe it now feels more personal when there's only two or three recent posts, and you're told to chop it up despite the fact that the discussion could reasonably have continued.

But again guys. Don't misconstrue this as rage on my behalf. I was just asked for an opinion, and felt I should share because it was a thought I had slightly kicked around in my head previously. But it's not rage. Or even regular anger.

I don't think implementing my suggestions to moving posts or splitting threads would revive the site. I do think it might make it a /slightly/ nicer place for the people remaining, though.

If the people who would care about such changes left a year and a half ago then what would changing the rules now actually accomplish?
While many of them may have left a year and a half ago, this thread alone should show that there are at least /some/ remaining members who still feel changes are in order, whether they are or not. I feel some of them are some of the bigger remaining contributors around here. So if what we accomplish is keeping them happy without making anyone mad... that doesn't seem like a bad thing. And I hate to beat a dead horse, but yeah... I'm personally baffled by the idea that someone would find the forum a much worse place because there was a "What's your typical game size" post in general 40k. From my viewpoint, the issue here is why not, more than why. We have a much smaller community now, and if we can keep the remaining people happier, that's good. I'd think. Whether it spurs growth or not. So long as it doesn't harm anything.

I'll stop now. This has already gone on too long, and the longer I go on the more it looks like I actually do suffer from rage when that's not the case at all.

I like you guys. Even when you split threads. Or move them.

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #88 on: January 5, 2014, 03:26:21 AM »

The super-secret hidden board, so well as it worked for those priviledged enough to be let in the door, was a place that such "chatty" stuff could go on, and I assume it fostered the type of comraderie that you can't develop when everything you say has to "add" to a topic. From what I understand, it was also a place to go vent about certain persons and to gather support for arguments in the public arena, and plan little games to play... but that's just speculation. :P

You're confusing it with the other super secret hidden board, all that was purely down to the Illuminati where as the super secret hidden board you're thinking of was more concerned with the cover up of crashed UFOs and cow mutilations...  :o

Best jump back to the topic...

Thing is the perception of over moderation can be just as/even more damaging than actual over moderation.

If people want specific examples the Rumours and Speculation board is (was) a good example.

This is the only discussion board I have ever come across that has a Rumours and Speculation board that prohibits both discussion and speculation. It's a good example of how a forum can end up in a situation where the needs of the board (To be kept neat and tidy) were placed before the needs of the user (To talk about things)

I had a number of posts removed from the Rumours forum under the ground that it was "speculation" even though the post was about something that I had seen first hand, in the end posting there just wasn't worth the time when posts were being edited based on a persons speculation of my possible speculation on a given subject.

Now I'm not saying that this is something that has happened in general across all the boards, to be honest it was about the only time I can ever remember having posts edited in 12 years of posting on this site (And the original EO before it) but it did change my posting habits and when viewed in isolation could be seen as many as a sign of over moderation. I do not doubt that it was all done with the best intent, but I also hear that good intent is often used as paving.

Maybe the issue isn't the actual amount of moderation but the way that it is carried out, every time I see one of the coloured moderator comments boxes I cringe, they basically come across as a very public "You've been bad" and it's possibly the public nature of the way the moderation is carried out that gets to people more so than the actual nature of the moderation itself. An edit of one of my posts and a quiet PM isn't a problem, a big green box slapped into one of my posts telling the whole world how bad I've been would make me wonder why I bother posting. Again it comes down to perception of the moderation rather than the validity of the moderation and that is something that is always difficult to control, but it's also why big companies spend money on PR experts.

So in short, if I thought the moderation here was that bad I wouldn't be here, but at the same time I can see how some could see over moderation as being an issue.

Yes and no. The work does stay your work...  However, by posting here, you grant 40konline an irrevocable license to edit and republish said work. This does not detract from your ownership of the original work, but it allows us to reuse it.

Thanks for the response, tbh that's fairly standard (I would expect it) and normally covered with something along the lines of "We reserve the right to edit... blah... blah... bah..." rather than a transferal of property.

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #89 on: January 5, 2014, 06:14:36 AM »
So the staff are discussing this thread in our own private section and an interesting question came up.

Exactly what is being considered as over moderation that you are all complaining about?  At most, I have seen the occasional edit or thread getting moved.  I know personally I haven't done more than edit a post in this thread, and that really is the first moderator action I have taken in months.  So aside from Shad getting his wrist slapped for flame baiting, what has happened recently that has so much rage held in peoples minds?

First off I'll echo GBT and state that I'm not raging about anything.
I'm concerned.

Maybe the issue isn't the actual amount of moderation but the way that it is carried out, every time I see one of the coloured moderator comments boxes I cringe, they basically come across as a very public "You've been bad" and it's possibly the public nature of the way the moderation is carried out that gets to people more so than the actual nature of the moderation itself. An edit of one of my posts and a quiet PM isn't a problem, a big green box slapped into one of my posts telling the whole world how bad I've been would make me wonder why I bother posting. Again it comes down to perception of the moderation rather than the validity of the moderation and that is something that is always difficult to control, but it's also why big companies spend money on PR experts.

So in short, if I thought the moderation here was that bad I wouldn't be here, but at the same time I can see how some could see over moderation as being an issue.

This is a very valid point.
When I first started posting here almost all the moderators would sneak into a thread, make a few quiet edits if necessary, and only make a fuss if someone had seriously stepped across the line.
Then after a while it became a trend (no doubt well intentioned) that the moderators would put something like "my moderator voice is red" in their sig, and start highlighting their interventions.
Again, usually this was restricted to the heavier interventions.

However, in recent years all moderating is done with a highlighter pen. Even the tiniest of spelling mistakes and stat removals (which everyone does from time to time without realising) are picked out in green. It feels an awful lot more invasive and does add to the feeling that the mods are "on your back", especially if you're already in their bad books for whatever reason.

However, I don't think this is the only issue.

My main beef is with the amount of flexibility allowed by some of the moderators with some of the "softer" rules.
Notably this is the editing, cutting and locking of threads that go vaguely off topic. Also, as was stated above, the zero tolerance approach in the rumours board, where discussion and speculation is treated like some malignant cancer, leaving the board a sterile wasteland.

What I'm not going to do is trudge back through the last 10 years of threads and link to every time I think someone was hard done by.
What I will say is that for whatever reason, be it green highlighting, or simply that due to low posting the mod:post ratio is more noticeable, it does appear that the rules are being enforced more strictly than ever.
My view is that rangers and jetbikes should be allowed to creep into a thread about avengers and guardians without the mod hammer falling... especially when it might be the OP who initiates the digression in the first place.
Just use some common sense, rather than what I have come to consider an overly rigid interpretation of the rules.

What I don't want to see is a free-for-all of trolling, flame bait and spam.
No one wants to go there.

Offline Underhand

• Captain : Godfather of the Hivegangers
« Reply #90 on: January 5, 2014, 06:33:53 AM »
People aren't complaining about moderators breaking the rules or other policies of the site.   

People are complaining about:

(1)  the unnecessarily high setting of those rules; and
(2)  the unnecessarily strict enforcement of those rules. 

That's what over-moderation is.  Combined together, they stifle discussion.  No one likes the feel of a moderator breathing down their neck.  People feel boxed in and are naturally reluctant to go to the effort of writing a post if they feel their post will get chopped. 

The unnecessarily high setting of the rules is a matter for the owners of the site.  It's their house and their rules, and occasionally they change*.  It also makes sense to set the limit a bit higher than what is usually going to be necessary to allow moderators to use their discretion in enforcing the rule.

The unnecessarily strict enforcement of the rules is more of an issue, and it is an issue for each individual moderator.  Not everyone has the temperament or skill to be a moderator.

The purpose of this site is surely to provide entertaining discussion, mainly about WH40k, for the members.  The purpose of the moderation is surely to facilitate and improve the entertainment value of that discussion.  When moderation action is taken that is not necessary to improve the overall experience for the members, then that is over-moderation. 

This site suffers from over-moderation.  I think we have all seen instances of moderation where the action was taken purely to enforce a rule for its own sake rather than to increasing the entertainment value of the forum.  I have seen instances of moderator activity that were so unnecessary that I swear the moderator must have been trying to meet a monthly quota or something.  When combined with an overly officious, pompous or passive aggressive manner, such moderator activity can be immensely alienating not only for the person subject to the moderation, but also for other members reading it.  There are certain fora on this site that I avoid due to the local moderation.  Part of the reason I post a lot less these days is because of such behaviour.

Whenever one of these threads has popped up, I've always avoided criticising moderator behavior as opposed to site policy.  But activity has been falling at the rate of about 50% a year for the last few years.  It's at 7% of where it was 5 years ago.  The logic behind comments from staff members earlier in the thread that no changes will be made to moderation policy is unfathomable.  We are circling the drain here.

* like I argued for last year  here: Is it just me? or...
Why there were staff members arguing against it like they were defending their mother's honour is beyond me.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #91 on: January 5, 2014, 07:03:54 AM »
I'm curious about the whole moving threads and splitting topic issues.  There seems to be far more concern about these than there ought to be.  Nobody has ever, in my time here as a regular member or moderator, been moderated over threads being put in the wrong board or having their topics split.  These are two moderator actions which are designed to keep the boards organised, not to moderate forum members.  Nobody needs to feel that they're being moderated if either of these two actions have been carried out, unless they receive a PM notification to explain otherwise.

I actually use split topic quite a lot to avoid having to enforce stricter forum rules which would have resulted in moderator information.  Splitting threads into two to prevent off topic discussion stops moderators having to intervene and delete posts (which I would have thought would have upset all of you a lot more), so it's a very useful tool.  I don't understand why it's causing so much upset on that basis.

This is a very valid point.
When I first started posting here almost all the moderators would sneak into a thread, make a few quiet edits if necessary, and only make a fuss if someone had seriously stepped across the line.
Then after a while it became a trend (no doubt well intentioned) that the moderators would put something like "my moderator voice is red" in their sig, and start highlighting their interventions.
Again, usually this was restricted to the heavier interventions.

However, in recent years all moderating is done with a highlighter pen. Even the tiniest of spelling mistakes and stat removals (which everyone does from time to time without realising) are picked out in green. It feels an awful lot more invasive and does add to the feeling that the mods are "on your back", especially if you're already in their bad books for whatever reason.

Funnily enough, I remember look through the archives a while back, and if I remember correctly there was a thread somewhere complaining about Staff editing posts back in the day, and it not being visible enough, and people felt that it was sneaky and underhand, which just goes to show that we're damned whatever we do.

I think that the green, blue, or red text works because it stands out.  It's not there to say 'so and so has been bad'.  That's not it's function.  It's functions are to show that a post has been edited (no sneaky moderation actions), to explain clearly why a post has been edited, and for others to see that the post has been edited and why.  This stands out more easily when using the moderation tags.  It is not a negative label regarding a member's posting habits, those are only given out as a very last resort in the form of a negative custom title when a member has consistently and regularly broken the forum rules, such as when GBT had his spammer title, and even those can disappear over time if no further rules are broken, as was the case with GBT.

The moderation tags are not, therefore, some kind of punishment.  All they are there to do is to say to those concerned 'this is just a reminder of the forum rules, please bear those in mind, so that you don't make this mistake again'.  That's what they are there for.

If it's an issue, then I'll add a section to one of the forum stickies explaining more about moderation tags and why they are used for everyone to read.  Would that be helpful?

On the point of different coloured text in edited posts, that's used to show that the post has been edited in those places.  The reason being is that, quite often, edits for copyright make certain sentences incomprehensible, so green text is employed to show that the member whose post has been edited did not write an incomprehensible sentence.  It also serves to show the member where the copyright infringement was.  This is especially helpful to newbies who won't be aware of how strict GW is about copyright.

What I will say is that for whatever reason, be it green highlighting, or simply that due to low posting the mod:post ratio is more noticeable, it does appear that the rules are being enforced more strictly than ever.

It is the bit I've put in bold which makes it more noticeable.  When the coloured text was brought in back in 2010 (I think that was the year), very few people seemed to notice it.  I remember not liking it when it was first brought in, but it grew on me after a while, because I realised what it was meant to do.  Note that I wasn't a moderator back then either, so I am talking about this from the perspective of a regular member.

My view is that rangers and jetbikes should be allowed to creep into a thread about avengers and guardians without the mod hammer falling... especially when it might be the OP who initiates the digression in the first place.

If the OP had stipulated that this is what they wanted or were to take their own thread in a different direction, then I would agree.  This has not been the case in threads where I have enforced staying on topic.

On the Rumours board, those of you who've been around for a while might have noticed that its name changed last year during the forum reshuffle from Rumours to Rumours and Speculation.  The idea behind that was to allow all of you to give your opinions about the rumours, discuss their credibility, and give your opinion on the rumoured changes to your codices.  Wishlisting would have been the only thing that remained prohibited.

For various reasons, the changes were not publicised.  If those changes would be helpful to encourage any of you to use that board, then please say so, and I'll see if I can't get the ball rolling on this.

This site suffers from over-moderation.  I think we have all seen instances of moderation where the action was taken purely to enforce a rule for its own sake rather than to increasing the entertainment value of the forum.  I have seen instances of moderator activity that were so unnecessary that I swear the moderator must have been trying to meet a monthly quota or something.  When combined with an overly officious, pompous or passive aggressive manner, such moderator activity can be immensely alienating not only for the person subject to the moderation, but also for other members reading it.

You make us sound like double glazing salespeople :P.  I'm sorry to disappoint you, but there's no monthly quota, no special bonus for moderating members, no secret stash of moderator loot for the moderator who edits the most posts in a month, nothing like that at all :D.  There's no pay of any sort and next to no perks either.

As for the rest of what you're saying here, please post links to threads where moderators have behaved in the manner you suggest.

Whenever one of these threads has popped up, I've always avoided criticising moderator behavior as opposed to site policy.  But activity has been falling at the rate of about 50% a year for the last few years.  It's at 7% of where it was 5 years ago.  The logic behind comments from staff members earlier in the thread that no changes will be made to moderation policy is unfathomable.  We are circling the drain here.

I refer you to the alternative explanations cited, with links providing evidence, posted earlier in this thread.

Finally, I just want to make something clear.  From my own personal point of view, my favourite days on this forum are when I don't have to do any moderation.  Moderation takes up my time, which cuts down on my posting time and my time for reading other threads on boards that I don't moderate, but might be interested in.  I'd much rather not have to moderate than to moderate, so the idea that we're all trigger happy moderators is, I feel, misplaced.

You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Underhand

• Captain : Godfather of the Hivegangers
« Reply #92 on: January 5, 2014, 08:23:37 AM »
This site suffers from over-moderation.  I think we have all seen instances of moderation where the action was taken purely to enforce a rule for its own sake rather than to increasing the entertainment value of the forum.  I have seen instances of moderator activity that were so unnecessary that I swear the moderator must have been trying to meet a monthly quota or something.  When combined with an overly officious, pompous or passive aggressive manner, such moderator activity can be immensely alienating not only for the person subject to the moderation, but also for other members reading it.

You make us sound like double glazing salespeople :P.  I'm sorry to disappoint you, but there's no monthly quota, no special bonus for moderating members, no secret stash of moderator loot for the moderator who edits the most posts in a month, nothing like that at all :D.  There's no pay of any sort and next to no perks either.

As for the rest of what you're saying here, please post links to threads where moderators have behaved in the manner you suggest.

What do you think you have to gain by that request?

Do you think it's going to take this thread anywhere nice?   

« Last Edit: January 5, 2014, 08:26:26 AM by Underhand »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #93 on: January 5, 2014, 08:49:39 AM »
You've made a serious accusation.  For it to have any credibility, the onus is on you to provide the evidence.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #94 on: January 5, 2014, 09:36:07 AM »
I'd like to point out, that my inquiry of similar nature, I.E. How many posts are required as evidence of a trend was met with a response... but not an answer.

I'd like a numerical value, please. If we're going to go to the trouble of dredging through posts for proof, we should have a value at which we can reasonably stop. Logic, reason, proof. No mindless whining.

While I am loathe to enter another issue to the mix, there has been a notable decrease in numbers of active moderators. With those decreasing numbers, fewer viewpoints are being championed. Eventually, we wind up with a single viewpoint being championed, and all other views are suppressed.

The reason to change existing rules, as has been inquired about, is to ease the irritation of members that don't like existing rules, but have stuck around thus far. Their patience isn't limitless.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2014, 09:38:32 AM by GreatBigTree »

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #95 on: January 5, 2014, 09:50:23 AM »
And, of course, if you feel you have been wrongly moderated - there is a tool for that. Use it, and your issue will be addressed. saying "loads of my posts have been" when that thread does not contain any such report sounds a little like sour grapes, and empty rattling. Please use the tool provided - together we can correct whatever errors there might be in the policy.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #96 on: January 5, 2014, 10:00:23 AM »
I think we're trying to "correct" policy here, because we're dissatisfied with the current method. A method held behind closed doors, with no response given in what seems the majority of cases.

We've been challenged to provide proof of our perspective. We'd like to know how much proof is required to provide evidence of a trend. In this manner, we hope to explain the cause of our dissatisfaction, and prove that there is a "problem" that needs to be solved, that can't just be dismissed as the passing gripes of a few people.

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #97 on: January 5, 2014, 10:44:12 AM »
You've made a serious accusation.  For it to have any credibility, the onus is on you to provide the evidence.

You're horribly missing the point.

Instead of us dredging through the forum hunting down incidents of mis-moderation (many of which have been deleted anyway), why don't you just accept the fact that we might have a genuine issue and stop treating us like pre-pubescent morons with a persecution complex undergoing a mass hallucination.

All we're asking is that you consider our actually very minor request to lighten up a little, chat about it in the back room, and then report back.
Stop trying to turn this into some kind of war that you can only win by somehow proving us wrong.

Offline SwampyTurtle

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Death is no respite from War"
    • Behind the lines gaming blog
  • Armies: Tau (Jar'kai Sept);Tanith 1st;Phantine Skyborne IG
« Reply #98 on: January 5, 2014, 10:45:44 AM »
Im going to post my 2 cents here and hope that no mod  ban hammers come down on me.

First, I was one of those who "left" over what i felt was over moderation. Then months later when i had let it go and tried to get back into the community I again was slapped on the wrist. This over moderation is killing my appeal to this site. Ive tried since i started here to be a good member. Now i feel like my record here is tarnished.

I'll say it here for all to see. I like this site and i feel more at home here than anywhere else on the internet. Ive moderated and admined my own sites before and i understand the work that goes into these sites. I know how SMF works and how this site is put together because ive run my own SMF sites before. The welcome i got on the Tau board inspired me to stay here back when i started. It was the community in the IG board that got me to become a guard player. It was the 40th corps that inspired me to stay. The role playing, the community, the feeling of esprit de corps! Its all gone now. Many have left and even i feel less likely to post here now a days, preferring to ghost instead of post.

I hope no one feels this is a attack against them. My own perceived slights against my record on here are my own feelings. This site is still my home. However if this place doesnt want to become a graveyard CHANGE is NEEDED. I cant stress that enough. Please Mods and Admin, Listen to the members, listen GBT, listen......Please!

Record:                                    W/L/D
Jar'kia Sept:                                  5/6/3
Tanith 1st:                                    2/0/2

my blog:  Behind the Lines gaming

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: January 5, 2014, 11:19:25 AM »
You had said you were going to trudge through all of the posts of the last month to find cases of "needless intervention", I pulled the logs and listed all of the moderator actions taken during that time.  I am doing the work for you, GBT.

But I have some time today, so allow me to go through November and October as well and you tell me what parts I point out of actual moderator action were needless.

November
1 thread had the topic edited for clarity

8 posts were edited for copyright infringement

1 post was edited to keep a discussion on topic.  This is probably what got most people irritated in that it was a thread asking how to use  Dire Avengers and people were discussing other units.  The moderator even went so far as to allow the discussion to vere from the original topic of "How do I use Dire Avengers" to "Dire Avengers vs Guardians"

1 thread was moved from Eldar to Art because it was regarding a picture someone had drawn of an Eldar.

1 thread was moved from Gen40k to Beginners because the title was "Question from a beginner"

3 posts were deleted from threads either because they were inflammatory (in two cases) or because they were pure spam (1 case). 

1 thread got moved from Gen40k to beginners that worked in either section.

1 thread was moved from Eldar to Rules because it was a rule question.

1 thread was moved from Eldar to Background because it was a fluff question.

October
1 thread was locked for necromancy after being dead for three years

9 posts were edited for copyright infringement

1 thread was split because initially it was looking at how good Eldritch Storm was from a statistical point of view and spread into a rules debate.  The rules debate was moved to the rules forum.

1 thread was removed as it was attempting to make money off of GW's IP by selling shirts, something that is very much against their rules.

3 rules threads were moved from race specific boards to the rules board

1 thread was moved from Tyranids to the Tavern because people had requested it be moved.

And that covers the past three months.  So the trend that I am seeing is that people ask rules questions in race specific boards and tend to have their threads moved, and that people do not understand that there is a zero tolerance when it comes to posting stats and rules.  Also thread jacking happens occasionally and is dealt with.

You guys keep using the terms "I have seen X happen a lot" or "Loads of posts have been affected by Y..." and yet when I go through all of the moderator actions that have taken place in the past three months, I have seen what... 3, maybe 4 instances where a moderator would have gone too far in your eyes.

If you want to keep up this whole song and dance about how it is a constant thing, then please provide proof from the past 6 months to support your accusations that we are over zealous in our job.  But please find me examples of times where a moderator has stepped over their bounds and enforced something in an over zealous manner.

And to be more specific, I want links.  Documented proof to support your claims, not just saying "I know this has happened."

On a separate note, I would like to point out some inconsistencies in what you guys want from us.  When we first started making changes to how things are done, people were screaming for more transparency in what we do.  Now, we are getting complaints that what we do is far too obvious and driving people away.  We give ways for people who think they have been moderated unjustly to file formal complaints, yet no one takes advantage of that and instead prefers to post here with no solid evidence to support their claims.

You're horribly missing the point.

Instead of us dredging through the forum hunting down incidents of mis-moderation (many of which have been deleted anyway), why don't you just accept the fact that we might have a genuine issue and stop treating us like pre-pubescent morons with a persecution complex undergoing a mass hallucination.

All we're asking is that you consider our actually very minor request to lighten up a little, chat about it in the back room, and then report back.
Stop trying to turn this into some kind of war that you can only win by somehow proving us wrong.
How can we lighten up if we don't have examples of what we are doing wrong?  Clearly you guys have some very specific instances in mind as to what we are doing wrong, ones that we clearly are unaware of.  And yet when we ask for references so we have any idea as to what is considered over moderation, we get nothing from you but posts like this.  Post which read to me as "Just do what I say because I say so."

That akin to a cop telling you to stop breaking the law as you are walking down the street.  What law was being broken and how are you going to know what law not to break without clarification. 

Im going to post my 2 cents here and hope that no mod  ban hammers come down on me.
Would never happen.

First, I was one of those who "left" over what i felt was over moderation. Then months later when i had let it go and tried to get back into the community I again was slapped on the wrist. This over moderation is killing my appeal to this site. Ive tried since i started here to be a good member. Now i feel like my record here is tarnished.
And yet we have no record of your wrist being slapped.  Care to be more specific?

I hope no one feels this is a attack against them. My own perceived slights against my record on here are my own feelings. This site is still my home. However if this place doesnt want to become a graveyard CHANGE is NEEDED. I cant stress that enough. Please Mods and Admin, Listen to the members, listen GBT, listen......Please!
And yet what change is that?  The only thing we have been told is that we are guilty of over moderating and that we need to lighten up.  And yet that is something that we have done over the past except in one area, copyright infringement.  That is one are that we will never ease off because that is one area that can get the site shut down.

So why is it so hard for us to ask for examples to know what we are doing wrong and get no response.  We would love to listen if we knew what to listen to.
I knew I had fans!!!