News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Double Post Auto-Merge?  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
  • Armies: Malifaux :P
Double Post Auto-Merge?
« on: August 28, 2012, 06:34:46 AM »
Greetings all, I recently posted in this thread (The Sixth Plane (Discussion Thread)) to notify the players of my RPG that I had updated (well, actually I had already posted with a placeholder, and I was notifying them that I had modified that post with the actual content) the game thread, but when I went to make another post to address something that had arisen in the game, it got merged with the earlier post automatically.

Firstly, I think this is a great new feature. But I have a problem with it. Thus a few questions:

Will it still appear as "new" to those who have posted in the thread? Both in the RPG forum and in the "New replies to posts" section?

Does that "double post" get counted against me as an infringement of the rules on my part?

Would I be better off notifying the players via PM, so as to avoid this auto-merge in the future?

Thanks!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Double Post Auto-Merge?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 07:31:30 AM »
I've just looked in the roleplaying board, and your modified post appears as new for me, so this feature doesn't appear to have changed anything.  Any post which counts as being edited, and that's all that happens with the double post merging feature, will appear as new to other users.

Double posting remains against the forum rules, but whether it counts as an infringement of the rules when the auto-merge comes into play is currently under discussion.  I don't know if I can give an indication of the direction of this discussion, so I'll leave that for someone higher up to comment on.

Double posting is generally not a good idea, but is acceptable in a very small number of circumstances (reaching the character limit, articles and fiction divided into chapters, that sort of thing), so you make be better off sending a PM, depending on how many people are participating in the roleplay.  The alternative is to copy your information from your last post if nobody has posted after you, delete your last post, and then copy the information into a new one with the updated information.  This is how I would update a roleplay thread if nobody has posted after me.

I hope that helps.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
  • Armies: Malifaux :P
Re: Double Post Auto-Merge?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 09:15:04 AM »
I've just looked in the roleplaying board, and your modified post appears as new for me, so this feature doesn't appear to have changed anything.  Any post which counts as being edited, and that's all that happens with the double post merging feature, will appear as new to other users.

Cool. Good to know.

Double posting remains against the forum rules, but whether it counts as an infringement of the rules when the auto-merge comes into play is currently under discussion.  I don't know if I can give an indication of the direction of this discussion, so I'll leave that for someone higher up to comment on.

Double posting is generally not a good idea, but is acceptable in a very small number of circumstances (reaching the character limit, articles and fiction divided into chapters, that sort of thing), so you make be better off sending a PM, depending on how many people are participating in the roleplay.  The alternative is to copy your information from your last post if nobody has posted after you, delete your last post, and then copy the information into a new one with the updated information.  This is how I would update a roleplay thread if nobody has posted after me.

That's a good idea. I think I will do that in the future. Thanks :)