News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: No chance - Re: Moderators and titles, ranks and other questions.  (Read 2511 times)

Offline benmannen

• SPAMMER: I think my posts are important!
    • Benmannens Dark Eldar
No chance - Re: Moderators and titles, ranks and other questions.
« on: September 29, 2011, 02:52:03 AM »
Well those are good guidelines, but yoy never gave me a chance. I had posted some pictures in one thread and a link in another and you gave me a warning for the first one and about 1 minute later gave me the heckle-spam-title.

How am i supposed to act on that first warning? So basically you gave me zero time and no warning really. I mean you guys at 40k online have reputation of being VERY tough on posters and cracking down on smallest things  but i just feel like this was unecessary...

Hope you understand
Stefan

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Re: No chance - Re: Moderators and titles, ranks and other questions.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 03:02:29 AM »
Of course that is being very selective of you.
You have been told about your breaking of the rules on several occasions before you were given you title, including an official warning, which did not deter you, and you kept doing what you were doing getting your title.
As you did not heed your previous warnings then it escalated quickly. We have to process the offenses as they occur, and as you didn't think that the notifications you received the step from warning to title was very quick.

However, if you improve, and don't break the rules, post constructively and be a good member, all that will go away in time.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 04:42:54 AM »
I mean you guys at 40k online have reputation of being VERY tough on posters and cracking down on smallest things...

It's excellent isn't it?
Notice how the threads here aren't cluttered with mindless spam and flame wars?
Ever notice what a high proportion of individual posts are actually worth reading?

The zero tolerance policy on spam may seem tough, but it keeps the place ticking over very nicely.

Offline Farceseer Syranaul

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The Redux Dentist
  • Armies: The Buanneth Fhirin
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 12:41:59 PM »
The forum rules are fair and just.

*Twitch*
"Simple Changes, and Small Additions"
"It is easier to add something than to remove something."

Quote from: Starrakatt, LolDeer of Doom
So, maybe I'm being dense here

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 01:20:39 PM »
I mean you guys at 40k online have reputation of being VERY tough on posters and cracking down on smallest things...

It's excellent isn't it?
Notice how the threads here aren't cluttered with mindless spam and flame wars?
Ever notice what a high proportion of individual posts are actually worth reading?

The zero tolerance policy on spam may seem tough, but it keeps the place ticking over very nicely.

This is the biggest reason i have stuck it out here while almost every other Forum i used to frequent has moved off my list of things to do. Don't get me wrong, i've been in your shoes before, as some of the Mods will likely attest, but getting the occational 'Stop being a amphetamine parrot disturber' message (paraphrasing, of course) is leagues better than having a thread devolve into a "Draigo is better than EVERYONE" shouting match. Or, gods forbid, a "Garrosh must die" thread...

And the Mods here don't tend to throw their weight around like i've seen on other forums *Cough* mmochampion *cough*. They have a set of rules, and in my years here i have yet to see a moderator step outside them. The key is to be careful, know the rules, and not push the boundries of them without permission.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 01:37:11 AM »
The problem with the rules is that if you follow them and don't stray from them, you are never notified about that. We cannot police every post patting people on the back for when they do NOT break the rules, it is an impossibility.
This sadly, in some people, develops into a sense of entitlement and an "I am special"-mentality which means that when they DO break the rules and get told about it by a member of staff they disregard it, thinking that they will be exempt from the normal consequences of such actions. As the transgressions (and, by nature, notifications and warnings) grow more frequent, it only adds to the sense that they are "special" and that this will "all blow over". Then there is the titles and the bannings.
I have seen it happen dozens of times over the last few years, where members, once productive, even senior and veteran members, have simply taken this place for granted and disregarded the rules.
The rules apply to everyone, guest, member and staff alike. There is only once exception; Raine. He can do whatever the heck he wants, since he owns the place. Other than that, we are all subject to the very same set of rules, no matter our postcount, colour of our stars or seniority.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 05:39:20 AM »
I have to say that the mods here generally get it right and do a good job.

They tend to let you ramble along, giving you enough rope to hang yourself before stepping in and *click*... Which is the way it should be.

I have also noticed in the last couple of years that the mods are getting better at their jobs. There was a time when I would have said that the mods have been a little heavy handed and quick to act but this tends not to be the case now.

When you see posts being overly consilatory it is clear the poster is in fear of the mods wrath. This I would say is not a good state of affairs as conversation should be open and allowed to pregress naturally. However as I said this is becomeing a history as this does n ot happen much (if at all now) and is therefore a good reflection that the mods have a good balance.

I've never been a mod but I beliveve it is a thankless job. Rasmus is absolutly correct that the mods donn't 'appear' when you do someting right and only tened to be apparent when your do something wrong. This Obviously gives them a less than likable visage. however I would much prefer it this way than everyother post being "well done, you get a cookie"

If a mod has had to remove one of your posts and inform you of an infringm,ent then you have clearly not understood the rules. However I do believe there is a greviance process should you believe you have been treated unfairly. That makes this forum one of the best around as I do not believe you will find this in many other forums.

Huzzar! for Eldar40K online !!!

post thought: Mmmm.... cookies.....

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 12:52:17 PM »
When registering to a new forum, it's a good idea to read its forum rules.  40k Online Rules and Netiquette

Every time you broke the rules you were informed and likely given a link to said rules.  These rules are not nefarious or nebulous, we just want posters to be civil and keep the joint free of clutter whenever possible.  It takes multiple rules violations before anything happens, let alone getting a title, so you were given a chance.

And you still have more chances.  Follow the rules, play nice with others, and the title eventually goes away.  :)
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #8 on: October 2, 2011, 01:56:20 PM »

The problem with the rules is that if you follow them and don't stray from them, you are never notified about that. We cannot police every post patting people on the back for when they do NOT break the rules, it is an impossibility.

I would like to reference the "poster of the year" threads that happen in every board on this forum every year. When you have been good and constructive and following all the rules, and you really stand out, then you do get rewarded. Now it doesn't mean that every one gets rewarded, only a few who really shine. But there is that incentive. And for me personally, while I have never been nominated, I always like to participate and give praise where it is due. I feel like a productive and active member of this (virtual) society, and that is enough for me.
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.