News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Steath Suits  (Read 1926 times)

Offline -[Boston]-

Steath Suits
« on: July 21, 2005, 09:24:32 PM »
Hey Guys my friend is playing the Tau as some of you know and we were wondering if stealth suits are worth it in a 1000 Point Battle and what you guys use em for.

He gives you his thanks,
Boston
W/L/D

Imperial Guard       6/2/1

Offline Lanfeix

Re: Steath Suits
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 04:52:51 AM »
Worth it well yes and no.  We need details man, DETAIL'S

stealth suit are useful if used right that, means "the jumping around phase"

their abilty is they turn on night fighting rules (the spot light has no affect on this or any other night sight rule) . thier also armed with burst cannons (sadly not missle pods, you never ever be able to see them!!!) so you want to keep them away from the enemy at 24".

If YOU want to take part in the 40konline Tournament then just click on this banner

Offline iDay

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 05:36:50 AM »
Worth it well yes and no.  We need details man, DETAIL'S

stealth suit are useful if used right that, means "the jumping around phase"

their abilty is they turn on night fighting rules (the spot light has no affect on this or any other night sight rule) .

actually the spotlight affects stealth suits. If the unit is identifed by a searchlight, then its night fight armor is negated for that turn.

The use of stealth suits, or almost every model, depends on the type of opponent you are facing. Every unit has its pros and cons, and without any detail as to the type of opponenet you are facing, it is quite difficult to tell you wheter or not to include them. Personally, stealth battlesuits almost always seem to find a way into my lists, just because i like the models. Also, in games i have played, i tend to have the most difficulty against horde armies like orks and nids. In such cases, i have found my battlesuits to be invaluable.

If your friend really wants advice on wheter or not to include stealth battlesuits, then he should post his list and let us have a look on whether or not the battlesuits would be a worth while expansion to his army.

Offline Lanfeix

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 09:01:51 AM »
actually the spotlight affects stealth suits. If the unit is identifed by a searchlight, then its night fight armor is negated for that turn.

I should have said more

In day time missions you test for them like night sight but nothing can affect that spot lights or any thing

In nightime you use half the spotting difference and can be affected by spot lights causeing to test as if day light

If YOU want to take part in the 40konline Tournament then just click on this banner

Offline -[Boston]-

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 10:59:32 AM »
Ok, we decided not to get the Stealth Team and instead crisis suits (this is a bit of a last minute change as he is getting the stuff today.)
So instead he is  getting three crisis suits and are now curiouse as to how to equip them. So frst thing is what he will play against. He will see in battle Orks (footslogers with some speed units), 'Nids (No Clue), Chaos (CC amy thats all I know) and Necrons. His army will consist roughly of a hammerhead, 3 full figher warrior teams, 1 Crisis Suit HQ, 3 Crisis Suits. Got that?

Next for the role he needs them to play. He will no doubt harass the enmy with them but he would like them to take out takes incase he loses his hammerhead. He also needs them to be able to nail deepstriking cc units that includes termies.

Thanks,
Boston
W/L/D

Imperial Guard       6/2/1

Offline Lanfeix

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 05:00:03 PM »
okey orks and nids you

want missle pod multi traker and  burst cannon

and for higher saves, like 2+ save  you want twin plasma rifles and target lock

and their is all ways fire knife

plasma, missle and multi traker 

Offline LoneDragon

• There is no spoon.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005, 01:36:17 AM »
Don't glue the weapon bits onto the Crisis suits so you can swap them out as you wish.  And don't ever waste a hard point by putting a burst cannon on it.

~Yub yub, Commander!
She better have an antidote for face-stabbin'! 'Cause oooh, her face is SO stabbed when we get back!

They're not kids. They're midgets! Filthy drug-peddling midgets!

Peter: Oh my god, Brian! Theres a message in my alpha-bits! It says:"oooooo"
Brian: Peter, those are cheerios.

When are the pancakes coming in the mail?

Just say NO to burst cannons on Crisis suits!

Offline DammageInc

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 02:19:39 AM »
I usually use 3 suits setup as fireknife (have even glued them that way) and have 3 more customizeable (blue tac brigade).

Have had some good results with burst cannons especially on shas'o suits usually combined with missile pod and a plasma rifle, gives excellent firepower in all situations.

Offline Shas'o Vash

• Lictor? What Lictor? I don't see no damn... AAAH!!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005, 02:32:20 AM »
Well, I guess the first question is wether you play 'all comers' lists at your store, or do you tailor your list for your opponent.  Where I play at, it is considered a scocial pho-pa (spelling?) to tailor a list for a specific opponent, so I try to build lists for all situations.  The best configuration that works all around for me is the good old Fireknife, plasma, missile pod, multi-tracker.  In fact, I would say that this is the best configuration to take for range/AP purposes unless you are seriously threatened by lots of deep-striking termies at your store.  If what you're looking for is close in defense against well armored troops (3+ or better), go with plasma, fusion, multi-tracker.  A squad of three Crisis suits bouncing around can throw down nine (9) AP one or two shots a turn at rapid-fire range.  Admittedly, at balistic skill 3, you will only kill four marines or so, but it usually has such potential threat to your opponent that he will think twice before deepstricking right next to you.  The Fireknife may not have quite as many low AP shots, but against an opponent other than marines, each suit is getting four shots that AP most targets at rapid fire range.  And at ranges outside of that, it get three shots where as the plasma / fusion combo is reduced to one shot.  
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke-

Offline Lanfeix

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005, 08:22:03 AM »
the Fusion, Plasma, mulit traker  isnt any better at taking out heavey troops than TL plamsa. In fact TL plamsa is also better because it kills more at range is cheaper and can have sheild generator and target locks if need be

Offline Shas'o Vash

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005, 04:24:11 PM »
The twin-linked plasma is a good choice too, but then it leaves a hard point open that has to be filled.  I had my Crisis teams armed as such with drone controllers before they nerfed the drone special rule.  I'm not a fan of the shield generator or the target lock.  Shield generators are very pricey, and I'm usually very good at not letting them get shot at anyway.  As for target locks, there are usually more than enough marines in a squad for the entire Crisis team to shoot at, so splitting fire is usually kind of pointless. 
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke-

Offline iDay

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 11:31:03 PM »
the Fusion, Plasma, mulit traker  isnt any better at taking out heavey troops than TL plamsa. In fact TL plamsa is also better because it kills more at range is cheaper and can have sheild generator and target locks if need be

The only problem with TL plasma, or any TL weapon for that matter, is that whenever you buy a crisis sprue, it only comes with one weapon of each type. Therefore, in order to equip one of your crisis with TL plasma, you would have to buy two crisis battlesuits.

Offline FrOzEn jAcKaL

• Getting Owned So You Don't Have To.
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 02:33:27 AM »
I'd say Plasma Rifle/Missile Pod/Multi-Tracker is the best multi-role set-up for Crisis Suits... ALWAYS take the Multi-Tracker!

For specialization, against Orks/Nids take Burst Cannon/Missile Pod...

For Marines: take Plasma Rifle/Plasma Rifle (NOTE:these are NOT linked)  --or-- Plsma Rifle/Fusion Blaster (for anti-armor pursuits)

Vs. Necrons--> take Plasma Rifle/Plasma Rifle... this will make sure they have no saves... but they can still get up--> I suggest maybe trying the Fusion Blaster to get assured kills. Otherwise, Plasma Rifle x2 is the way to go. (NOT linked)

Good Luck.
There are few personal problems that cannot be solved with a proper application of high explosives.

I think the lack of an avatar picture in my profile has intimidated other forum members to refuse a response to my questions. I will thus be searching for a suitable graphic that will lure said members into replying to said forum posts.

. . .   (\/)     Bunny said I had an anger problem,
(><) (x.x)     I ripped Bunny's head off.

Offline iDay

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 03:46:14 AM »
For Marines: take Plasma Rifle/Plasma Rifle (NOTE:these are NOT linked)  --or-- Plsma Rifle/Fusion Blaster (for anti-armor pursuits)

Vs. Necrons--> take Plasma Rifle/Plasma Rifle... this will make sure they have no saves... but they can still get up--> I suggest maybe trying the Fusion Blaster to get assured kills. Otherwise, Plasma Rifle x2 is the way to go. (NOT linked)

You cannot take two of the same weapon system on a battlesuit without making it twin-linked. Getting a battlesuit two weapons of the same type, means that they function as a twin-linked weapon. There is no choice involved; it must be done, as a compulsory action. The only exception to this rule, is the flamer, as you cannot twin-link flamers. Sorry :-\

Offline Shas'o Vash

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 10:00:59 AM »
An option that I toyed with  awhile back was twin plasma and a flamer.  It's the cheapest option for the third hard point that actually does something when you twinlink, unless you want to add drones to the squad.  Good anti-marine weaponry and something to make small stuff shiver.  Never actually did it tough.  Plus it would look interesting....   ;D
-Edmund Burke-

Offline Pvt. Dancer

• Dropped at the first sign of trouble
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 03:02:17 PM »
Burst cannon,plasma rifle and multi Tracker for Nids

Twin linked plasma rifleand multi tracker /Fireknife against Necrons

Fusion Blaster/Missile Pod and multi tracker against Orks(might wish to exchange fusion blaster with plasma rifle though)

Fusion blaster and plasma rifle with Multi Tracker/FireKnife against Chaos

This outta work just fine, just fine 8)

Offline Lanfeix

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2005, 04:16:23 PM »
Twin linked plasma rifleand multi tracker /Fireknife against Necrons

thier isnt any point getting a multi traker for twin linked as it fires as one wepoan so you might as well get a target lock

I find the plamsa, fusion, multi traker works better against necrons

Offline Pvt. Dancer

• Dropped at the first sign of trouble
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2005, 05:35:15 PM »
mistake, yeah that outta be a Multi tracker, and fusion i find far to dangerous as Tau fight on range, getting him close to Guass armed necrons, is far to scary for me battlesuits...