News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1 700pts army (Mal Caor): Tell me...  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Shas Ui Mal Caor

• What're you looking at PAL ?!?
1 700pts army (Mal Caor): Tell me...
« on: October 23, 2002, 02:34:40 PM »
OK. That's the army I made.
the point is to be able to fight against all odd, axing on the strenght of the Tau (lots of long range shots with lots of FW) with a bit of good versatility (1 squad of Kroots for close combat, 2 crisis with long range weapon (helping the FW) and short range weapon (flammer to purify any light infantry units that would get near the FW), Broadside to R.I.P. apart the heavy ones (tanks and the likes), an hammerhead for the submunition option (very useful on light units and also able to choose where to land) and the good old Ethereal, you know why...)

1 700pts army from Vior’La: Mont’Yr Kauyon Mal’Caor

HQ

1 - Ethereal    Inspiring Presence and Price of Failure
                                                                             50pts

Troops
19 – Kroots    
1 – Shaper   
5 – Kroot Hounds   
                                                                            210pts

7 – Fire Warrior    Where my Ethereal shall be
                                                                             70pts

11 – Fire Warrior    
1 – Shas’Ui, Bonded
                                                                            140pts

11 – Fire Warrior    
1 – Shas’Ui, Bonded
                                                                            140pts

11 – Fire Warrior    
1 – Shas’Ui, Bonded
                                                                            140pts

11 – Fire Warrior    
1 – Shas’Ui, Bonded
                                                                            140pts

Elite

1 - XV8 ‘Crisis’ Battlesuit   Flamer, Missile Pod
2-Drone
                                                                              70pts

1 - XV8 ‘Crisis’ Battlesuit   Flamer, Missile Pod
2-Drone
                                                                              70pts

Heavy Support

3 - XV88 Broadside Battlesuit, 2 Target Lock, 1 drone controller, Railgun, Smart Missile
2 -Drone
                                                                                        240pts

3 - XV88 Broadside Battlesuit, 2 Target Lock, 1 drone controller, Railgun, Smart Missile
2 -Drone
                                                                                        240pts

1 – Hammerhead, Multi-Tracker, Decoy Launcher and Blacksun Filter, 2 Burst Canon, Railgun
2 -Drone
                                                                             190pts

I'm wondering if crisis are that usefull  ??? (should I bump 1 to complet a FW team or both plus my 7FW to create a new kroot unit)? Anyway, tell me what you think...  :)
There are 2 things that are infinites : universe and human's foolishness. Still, I'm not sure for the first one... (Einstein)

Offline Shas'Vre'Shi

• For the greater good.
Re:1 700pts army (Mal Caor): Tell me...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2002, 03:15:24 PM »
To start, that sounds like a good army list. BUT... I think the fire warrior squad for the etheral should be a full squad, since he is an independent character, i believe. So, as long as he is within 6" of the squad, you get to count him as part of it. Unless your going to be in night fights often, drop the black sun filter. The kroot squad looks good, hounds are deadly. The crisis suits dont look bad, but maybe a shield drone to suck up insta kill shots like a brightlance (S8). The broodsides look good. The tank is nice, sept the black sun filter. In night fights, its a must, but otherwise, it doesnt do jack. Also with the tank, depending on who you fight, you might wanna have a ion cannon, but only vs. marines, and maybe necrons. Thats what i think.  8) :D ;D
We, the farsight enclave are not the enemy of the other tau. The etherals call us traitors, but we still fight for the greater good. All tau are one race, despite birth place or aligience, hold no grudges, for we are all of common ancestry.

Offline Shas Ui Mal Caor

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2002, 08:35:59 AM »
OK, I just did some modification from what you said...
1-removed my blacksun (+5pts) for a target lock (-5pts)
2-removed 1 crisis (+70pts) replace a kroot (+8pts) for a hound (-6pts)
3- added gun drones to my ethereal (-22pts) and 5 FW for his team (-50pts)

total 1 700pts. What about it...
There are 2 things that are infinites : universe and human's foolishness. Still, I'm not sure for the first one... (Einstein)

Offline Shas'Vre'Shi

• For the greater good.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2002, 04:15:51 PM »
Looks very good now. I dont find anything else wrong with it, good job!  8) :D ;D
We, the farsight enclave are not the enemy of the other tau. The etherals call us traitors, but we still fight for the greater good. All tau are one race, despite birth place or aligience, hold no grudges, for we are all of common ancestry.

Offline Praetor

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2002, 04:38:08 PM »
Try this out instead of placing the Ethereal/wDrones with one of your Broadside squads.

In Theroy you get a Fearless squad that has 4 extra wounds to play with Ie Drones and He is nice and safe from any nasty  attacks .

Offline Shas Ui Mal Caor

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2002, 05:59:15 PM »
Ok, like (from the original version)...
2-removed 1 crisis (+70pts)
3- add 5 FW (-50pts) for the last team plus a Shas'Ui (-10pts) and the bonding (-10pts)
4-Put my Ethereal with a Broad team, thinking those shall remain protected anyway... that's also realy good...

total 1 700pts. What about it Shas Shi Vre (or everyone in fact)...

PS: Do you believe I would stand a chance in a tournament? would my army be accepted?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2002, 06:04:35 PM by Shas Ui Mal Caor »

Offline Praetor

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2002, 07:35:37 PM »
Yes will stand a chance and your Army Will be accetped.

Use your Kroot to counter-attack.

Combin the two criss suits into One unit i would not drop the Criss Suit it will help alot more then your Meat Shield ie Kroot.

Offline Orlanth

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2002, 07:38:17 PM »
Your army is immobile, you are relying on stopping your opponent cold and I dont think that is realistic if they have bikes or an infantry horde with too much to kill.

You will stop a rhino rush, that i can agree with you on. But footslogger marines would have an easy time, in fact APC's would to, the extra turn or so in the Wave Serpents/Rhinos before they are destroyed could offset the running delay.
I really dont think you have enough to stop tactical squads. Eldar would pose similar problems, if jetbikes or marine bike squads got to your broadsides the APC's would be able to close with little to stop them.

Guard you can kill well enough. You can hose down the infantry and the tanks sperately, orks too.
However those armies have a lot of indirect fire. Again your broadsides are lobba/basilisk targets. Suppress them on one side and the Chimera/Nobz can attack. this is not a risk to equal the marines or eldar possibilities.

Immobility means that your defence can be opened if your broadsides with arc on a portion of the battlefield can be neutralised allowing an assault facing ony lpulse rifles. This can be countered only by giving your Fire warriors devilfish so the line can be made mobile, deepstrikign gun drones for disruption, or replacing most of the groadsides with hammerheads or crisis suits, both of which can suport a mobile responce. Tau have no real indirect fire capability, they cannot afford to turtle like guard do. ou need a mobile firebase unless you know the enemy must come to you and lacks heavy guns. Even then the ability to relocate is a sound defence agaisnt Howling Banshhes or hormagaunts. They can slice you if your aren't there no more. Redisign to mobilise either your fire warriors or your firepower.

The only full defence alternative I can give you is to go kroot. Kroot are nasty in a fight and make the perfect compliment to Broadside suits.
By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, by the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Shas Ui Mal Caor

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2002, 12:13:33 AM »
Well now... some mobility... I could go for (from the original version)...
2-remove the 70pts FW squad
3-put 1 more crisis with his gun drone
4-Put my Ethereal with a Broad team...

But Devilfish are not my style, nor pathfinder. And broadside unit where hard enought to lower.
You are right about the immobility thing Orlanth... still I know I'll have to get my ass kick off by those obvious lacks before understanding the real lesson...
But, because of you, I just realised crisis where not that bad! Althought you cannot be completely efficiant with just those, they do make a good heavy/light unit's killer...

come to think of it... unless someone find me a better weapon investment for those crisis (explaining why like you all did until now), or another big lacking point, I think the last version would sound perfect! If it does before any good reply by the next, say 10 viewer... I'll go with it (as they say, for better for worst...)

Thank everyone...

Offline Shas Ui Mal Caor

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2002, 04:42:04 PM »
Or (from last post...) I could drop the new crisis, find 10pts and add some mobility with a Devilfish...
lets see...