News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 500 point tourney  (Read 2044 times)

Offline MrMischief

500 point tourney
« on: July 21, 2002, 08:31:46 AM »
Today we are having a 500 tounement at the comic store that i play at and this is what ive chosen to use

the mission is a deathmatch
rules are:Victory Points, Infiltrators, Deep Strike, Special Charecters are OK

HQ
Shas'el-missle pod-fuzion blaster-shield generator

Elite
2 crisis suits, 1 with T-L Plasma rifle and target lock
the other with plasma rifle and missle pod with multi-tracker.

Troops
2 6 man fire warrior squads

Fast
none

Heavy
Hammerhead with Railgun, Burst Cannons, multi-tracker, decoy launchers.

Total: 505 points (we have a 5 point le-way)

My main opponent will be marines because 60% of the people down there play them

OK  my plan is to sit back with the hammerhead and take out any tanks and drop submunitions on clusters of infantry, while moving it back and forth to negate penetrating hits and the decoy launchers will negate those annoying immobilized kills.

my fire warriors will support my hammerhead, im using them with all pulse rifles, just so i can keep them of my back.

The comander and crisis team will run around together, to finish off any troop units and knock out specialty troops like termanators with their plasma rifles and missles.

OK my biggest problem is if they accully kill the hammerhead but scince i will move it every turn to get glancing hits only that should be a bit difficult.

im also hoping that the fire warriors will have enough static fire to keep people off me, which is rare with their crappy BS and marines with their kickass armor.
"Knowlage pursues me, But I am faster"

Offline Andes

• Elder Sign
Re:500 point tourney
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2002, 03:02:04 PM »
I'm not terribly familiar with Tau army lists, but is that 2 minimum sized troop units combined with 2 tricked-out Elites, 1 tricked-out HQ and a tricked-out Heavy?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2002, 03:02:51 PM by Andes »

Offline Commander Ikari

• Show me a problem, not easily solved by a railgun!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2002, 06:19:16 PM »
Against marines it's needed.
"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hatred and hatred leads to suffering."

Offline Andes

• Elder Sign
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2002, 06:21:51 PM »

Against marines it's needed.

Uh-huh.

Andy

Offline Commander Ikari

• Show me a problem, not easily solved by a railgun!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2002, 06:23:55 PM »
Don't tell me you are thinking firewarriors can harm a marine.
"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hatred and hatred leads to suffering."

Offline Andes

• Elder Sign
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2002, 08:07:49 PM »

Don't tell me you are thinking firewarriors can harm a marine.

No, I'm thinking that minimum troops and tricked-out everything else isn't the way *I* would design an army list -- regardless of what army I, or my opponent, was playing.

Andy

Offline Mystic511

• I *Love* EldarOnline! No, really, i do!
    • Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2002, 04:08:03 AM »
Actually for 500 points, I think that army list is very good.

Why not take pulse carbines instead of pulse rifles?  The assault 1 at 18" would let you move with your hammerhead AND allow you to force the marines to take pinning tests.  It's not that useful, but being able to move and shoot at 18" instead of moving and being forced to 12" is a good thing.

You're also putting a big investment into a vehicle that may or may not live past turn 2.  If i were a marine player, i would make sure to take at least one squad that could take care of a heavy vehicle.   And, even on a glancing hit table, it's still a 50% chance of making your vehicle useless.  (4, immobilized, skimmer, crashed.  5, railgun is gone,  6, gone).

I agree though, that with such few points, the hammerhead may be your only options.  Big risks, big wins?   :)

Offline MrMischief

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2002, 10:26:30 AM »
Ya my army worked well, very well, unfotuniatly, even though i won all of my matchs, the way the tournement was set up, i didnt place, because it was based on victory points (bad system) and u play 3 games and add ur victory points, i only had like 600 at the end, and that was not enough to get any prize i got 5th place outta 10 players and only me and the first prize winner won all of our games, i beat the 2nd 3rd and 4th place players in my matchs but they still won and i didnt, it was a very bad system.
"Knowlage pursues me, But I am faster"